bike thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Re: bike thread

Post by Geeheeb »

its a 650b conversion
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

I LOVE the feel of the crank, but its pretty ugly.
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
RY4N
Unquestionable Presence

Post by RY4N »

cranks dont look ugly when theyre spinnin
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

what is your main squeeze?
RY4N
Unquestionable Presence

Post by RY4N »

i havent been on a real bike since i dropped about 3k on a bike that got stolen a week later. I did, however, ride 30 miles on a stationary bike at the gym yesterday.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

that sucks man.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

This is a commuter I put together from a $20 frame (Jamis Coda Sport) and a $30 fork, and bits I had. The frame is really pretty good, but the fork sucks. Its a little too small so I get to use the really long coolguy 140mm stem. I'm looking around for another fork but I don't want to spend more than $50 and I'm wary of used carbon at that price.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Never thought this would ever happen again, but I bought a stock bike. Even the pedals are the shitty ones Chain Reaction Cycles sent along with the bike in a bag with a bell, a full set of reflectors and all the tools you need to attach the pedals and the handlebar. I really thought it was a bit condescending.

Anyway, the story is that I've been riding this 25 year-old Trek Singletrack around town and the fucking thing is just shot, to the point where I've been driving my car to places that I could've easily used the bike for because I just didn't want to ride it anymore. I'd basically have to replace everything on it, so it was either buy all those components aftermarket at full price or start tracking down shit at flea markets, and I was in a hurry, so I figured if I'm going to spend too much, might as well buy a new bike.

Plus, honestly, this thing is really pretty much exactly what I would've built myself anyway, minus maybe the hydraulic disc brakes - I'd really prefer something low maintenance on my everyday road bike, so if they end up giving me too much grief, I might replace them with rim brakes, but we'll see. I'm also not so sure about those tires, but then again if I end up on a gravel road, which isn't uncommon around here, I'll probably appreciate them.

Countdown until it gets stolen starts now. My second ride with it will be to the convenience store to buy a lock. :lol:
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

It looks pretty cool, but does it say "fast bike" on the top tube? Those disc brakes should be low maintenance until they aren't, right? It looks like a great city bike, though a 25 year old trek singletrack is a nice bike too.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

It says "Fast City Bike", that's what they're calling these. What can I say, Commencal are Andorrans.

We'll see about the brakes. Dealing with disc brakes is easily my #1 least favorite aspect of mountain biking (MAYBE not including bruised ribs), so I'm guessing the first time I need to bleed these I'll be throwing them in the nearest ditch. Then again, they'll be under a lot less strain than the brakes on my MTBs, so who knows. I rode around town for a few hours today and once the pads were broken in I have to say it was nice to have that extra braking power.

The Trek's a classic at this point and I'll always have a soft spot for it because I've had it for almost 20 years, but I'm giving it to a friend who might actually have the patience and the spare parts to fix it up.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Post by hipster holocaust »

It's just a matter of time before it gets stolen and raped by a Muslim.
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
RY4N
Unquestionable Presence

Post by RY4N »

yeah man some muslim guy will ride your bike into a crowd at this weks farmers market
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

spacehamster wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:25 am What can I say, Commencal are Andorrans.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

hipster holocaust wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:49 am It's just a matter of time before it gets stolen and raped by a Muslim.
I bet some dirty towelhead already rubbed one out on the seat when I was at the convenience store.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

If they were on the way to blow themselves up they were probably already clean if they did the ritual purification/bathing, just sayin

I have been spending more on tires lately. I am all about these panaracer gravelkings in 26c and 35c for road bikes.
Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

Post by Necrophilic Mallard »

How is that fast city bike geared? Looks like a huge cassette.
Nice looking bike though
Fact #7
From an empirical viewpoint, the problem with Free Will (and causality) is reconciling determinism and freedom to make sense of morality.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Geeheeb wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:48 am If they were on the way to blow themselves up they were probably already clean if they did the ritual purification/bathing, just sayin
Well, I was speaking figuratively.
Necrophilic Mallard wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:52 pm How is that fast city bike geared? Looks like a huge cassette.
11-42t (11 speed) cassette, 40t chainring. The cassette size is what you'd expect on a 1x11 drivetrain, it's the chainring that's weird, at least to me because I haven't had a road bike since like the late 80s. On a mountain bike you'd use something in the 30-34 range, but the smallest chainring you can get for this crankset is 38.

Still, though, the 1x11 drivetrain was a major selling point for me - single speed just isn't practical in Zurich, so it's a good compromise.
Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

Here's my Nashbar carbon roadie; built it late last fall

Fact #7
From an empirical viewpoint, the problem with Free Will (and causality) is reconciling determinism and freedom to make sense of morality.
Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

spacehamster wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:28 am 11-42t (11 speed) cassette, 40t chainring. The cassette size is what you'd expect on a 1x11 drivetrain, it's the chainring that's weird, at least to me because I haven't had a road bike since like the late 80s. On a mountain bike you'd use something in the 30-34 range, but the smallest chainring you can get for this crankset is 38.

Still, though, the 1x11 drivetrain was a major selling point for me - single speed just isn't practical in Zurich, so it's a good compromise.
What's the 2nd lowest gear after the 42? Is it a giant jump? Do you miss any tweener gears?
I love the concept, and have considered it for my Jamis, but then all the parts end up costing quite a bit more, and it doesn't seem worth it anymore.

I also bought some used TRP HY/RDs, and they work OK, but I HATE that you can't "choke up" on the cable, so the pull is waaaay too long. Went back to my old BB7s, and realized one of the pads wasn't seated straight - I could never get the damn things to not rub at some point, and now they're working great! Still noisy though.
Have heard nothing great things about the Spyres; wifey has them, and they're quiet at least, and super easy to set; the BB7s are a bitch to set every time you take the wheel off.
Fact #7
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Necrophilic Mallard wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:29 pm
What's the 2nd lowest gear after the 42? Is it a giant jump? Do you miss any tweener gears?
I don't know. It looks like a pretty big jump, but I'm not really having any problems with it. I just use this bike for riding around town, so it's not like I'm doing long climbs where I'm so exhausted that I need a billion gears to get exactly the right one at any given moment.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

Built a baby hauler
Frame bags :tup2:

Fact #7
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Post by hipster holocaust »

Every fucking day on the way to the subway without fail I pass an Asian guy biking up the sidewalk with his baby in a loose-looking sling around his chest. Am I nuts for getting angry about this?
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

hipster holocaust wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:04 pm Every fucking day on the way to the subway without fail I pass an Asian guy biking up the sidewalk with his baby in a loose-looking sling around his chest. Am I nuts for getting angry about this?
No. He shouldn't be biking on the sidewalk, and biking with babies is stupid and dangerous.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Well, it's one way to cull the herd. And he IS Asian.