Latest Gene Wolfe book you read (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Mr. Budd

Re: Latest book you read (1-10 scale)

Post by Mr. Budd »

Phritz wrote:bedtime for me anyway. :wink:
"And is not this work of spontaneous recollection, Proust's memoire involontaire, much closer to forgetting than what is usually called memory? And is not this work of spontaneous recollection, in which rememberance is the woof and forgetting the warp, a counterpart to Penelope's work rather than its likeness? For here the day unravels what the night has woven. Wehn we awake each morning we hold in our hands, usually weakly and loosely, but a few fringes of the carpet of lived existence, as woven into us by forgetting. However with our purposeful activity and, even more, our purposive remembering, each day unravels the web, the ornaments of forgetting."

Benjamin from Image of Proust.
ibn Horowitz
Electric Lucifer

Post by ibn Horowitz »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Fantomas - Marcel Allain & Pierre Souvestre - 3/10
The City and the City - China Mielville - 5/10
Man with the Getaway Face - Richard Stark - 6/10
The Scar - China Mieville - 6/10
The Hot Rock - Donald Westlake - 7/10
The Outfit - Richard Stark - 7/10
The Score - Richard Stark - 7/10
The Mourner - Richard Stark - 7/10
Iron Council - China Mieville - 7/10
Stamboul Train - Graham Greene - 7/10
Watership Down - Richard Adams - 7/10
Collected Western Stories - Elmore Leonard - 7/10
March Violets - Philip Kerr - 8/10
Outcast of the Islands - Joseph Conrad - 8/10
Appointment in Samarra - John O'Hara - 8/10
True History of the Kelly Gang - Peter Carey - 8/10
Teatro Grottesco - Thomas Ligotti - 8/10
If he Hollers Let Him Go - Chester Himes - 8/10
Wild Sheep Chase - Haruki Murakami - 8/10
A Rage in Harlem - Chester Himes - 9/10
The Hunter - Richard Stark - 10/10
Winesburg, Ohio - Sherwood Anderson - 10/10
tl;dr

A pretty good summer of reading, no real stinkers besides Fantomas. Richard Stark was a revelation, Chester Himes's Harlem books play like a Bugs Bunny minstrel show set on Mars, China Mieville needs to tighten up, and you should have to read Winesberg, Ohio in school. At least until I'm thirty I'll believe that Conrad has the best sentences in literature.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

TheDOAD wrote:now excited for: New William Gibson.
:bean:
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

He has whale facts tattooed on his forearm
kale
Phritz
I'm not very smart.

Post by Phritz »

TheDOAD wrote:Moby fucking dick. 8.9 /10 Leviathans

I read this when I was younger and have no idea how. I'm sure I missed or did not understand every awesome bit of it.

I dont need a big review. Its moby dick. But The only reason its not higher is some of the Whale anatomy diatribes were too much for me. It got easir halfway through and far more interesting. I liked when neckbeard told me he loved the because It just made Ishmael into a guy who was literally obsessed with whales on all levels.

Fucking ahab. So many great characters in this book.

The Stubbs dinner chapter is one of the best things Ive ever read. Fuc I dont know why but the slave/negro chef being forced to Give a sermon to a pack of sharks eating a fucking sperm whale was just so intense...

Great book. Im sure Ill read it again someday.
i just looked it up and i wrote this about Moby Dick a while ago:
Phritz wrote:moby dick - 5/10
first i have to say, i did enjoy reading it. but i like the sea, its creatures, ancient crafts and generally the literature from that aera. although i enjoyed it and it seems to be well-written (i read it in english, not german) allover i have to say, i don't think it's a good book.
-way too much filler. there is one chapter about every single body part of the whale and every piece of string on deck.
-there are no ups and downs in the story. all goes on and on until the sudden end. sometimes i felt like reading a seaman's manual
-what's with the narrator? at first it is told from a real person's view (real within the book). up until he boards the ship, after that he seems to evolve into a imaginary narrator. also all stories about queequeg stop.
-almost no character development at all. except from ahab, but even his is a little generic. or queequeg. but this goes completely nowhere, since he pretty much stops writing about him.
corrections:
- 5/10 was way to harsh. it's at least a 7.
- about the character development: he does describe each member of the crew at the beginning. i felt this was very confusing and completely seperated from the plot. i kept on forgetting who was who throughout the reading.
- i still think the structure of the narration was totally weird.

btw. i started with "pierre or the ambiguities" a while ago. i'm still only about 50 pages into it. it's hell for me to read, the style seems to be a lot more difficult to read for me, even compared with Moby Dick. i have to look up like every second word and that the plot is still more or less inexistant doesn't help either.
rīdoonrīmenbā
Pop1287
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Pop1287 »

Moby Dick just might be the strangest/greatest/darkest novel in the English language. It's definitely in my top three. I've read it...5 times now, I think? There is only one correct way to approach this book: as a horror story.

If MD throws your brain in fat try reading Pierre.
Mooretician
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Mooretician »

I re-read Moby Dick last year. Greatest novel of all time, bar none. And I agree with you that it is most effectively looked at as a horror story.

I cannot recommend Nathaniel Philbrick's amazing "In the Heart of the Sea" enough. Must read.
copstache wrote:on a positive note, i hope if i get old and encrippled my nurses come and put on Judeobeast Assassin and watch my horrible atrophied limbs twitch in some mess of neurons flickering and dying
Phritz
I'm not very smart.

Post by Phritz »

Pop1287 wrote: If MD throws your brain in fat try reading Pierre.
:?
that's what i'm doing right now.
i want to read it, because i think i like Melville and i love Melville ... the director and "Pierre" was his favourite book, hence the nom de guerre. but i'm having second thoughts. it seems to be a really demanding read and so far he has only been romantizising about american aristrocracy. have you read it? is it really worth it?
i need some encouragement about what's interesting and exciting about the book. there's not much info to be found about it.
rīdoonrīmenbā
heathen kvnt
Casualties of Progress

Post by heathen kvnt »

10/10
love sex fear death: the inside story of the process church of final judgement.

not only a killer read, but it also shines a light on who dwid ripped off all of the holy terror/integrity imagery and theories from.
filth hound
Pop1287
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Pop1287 »

Phritz wrote:
Pop1287 wrote: If MD throws your brain in fat try reading Pierre.
:?
that's what i'm doing right now.
i want to read it, because i think i like Melville and i love Melville ... the director and "Pierre" was his favourite book, hence the nom de guerre. but i'm having second thoughts. it seems to be a really demanding read and so far he has only been romantizising about american aristrocracy. have you read it? is it really worth it?
i need some encouragement about what's interesting and exciting about the book. there's not much info to be found about it.
Just go read the Wikipedia article on it.

Yes, I've read it (twice), and yes I thought it was worth it, but I love Melville anyway, that entire era in the history of American literature, and the attempts Melville made to both modernize the novel, make its aesthetics/form reflect his actual world, and then to disrupt the tradition completely.

You've got to understand...once Melville reached the breakthrough of style/matter that was his re-workings (with the inspiration of Hawthorne - or, rather, trying to win Hawthorne's approval) of Moby Dick, when that book absolutely failed, when he tried to return in some small way to "regular" fiction and THAT failed, he just said "fuck it" and went out into a weird, wild country all on his own. If you can find a single academic that believes that The Confidence Man or Pierre have been thoroughly assimilated either into academia or the mainstream of American literary novel writing, let me know. That would be another kind of white whale. Fuck, look at the amount of hatred and despair a story like Billy Budd still broadcasts...and kids here read that in High School, never understanding a word...
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Mockingjay. Yup, it's Harry Potter for 15 year old girls, and I still liked the series. Quick read, fun book.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
Pop1287
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Pop1287 »

Mooretician wrote:And I agree with you that it is most effectively looked at as a horror story.
I always read it that way...it's not just the gothic horror effects in it which are hard to effectively absorb now because they're ALL cliches and symbols and have been muddied by thousands of people walking over them, absolute despair and horror are two of the major themes of the book. Death, terror, the meaninglessness of existence, our horribly brutal, cursed natures, the disgusting cycle of birth and death that is all life, the fear of a world without God, the fear that if there is a God he fucking hates us, our inability to escape our pasts or biology or obsessions, the fear of possession and violence and losing our humanity...I mean, fuck, it's all there in this book. I mean, right there in the first paragraph Ishmael says that the events in this book are only going to happen because if they didn't he wouldn't be able to control himself and he'd commit suicide. Hahaha...what more do you need?
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

Elric of Melnibone + The Sailor on the Seas of Fate - Michael Moorcock

What the hell is going on with these books? haha, these turned out to be pretty trippy, esp the second book, and not trippy in a Gene Wolfe sort of way, but in a cheap drug sort of way, quick reads and I like em, its like The Hour of the Dragon on a bad acid trip,
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

Proust is going to keep me busy for several months I figure. Good so far.
Pop1287
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Pop1287 »

mithrandir wrote:Elric of Melnibone + The Sailor on the Seas of Fate - Michael Moorcock

What the hell is going on with these books? haha, these turned out to be pretty trippy, esp the second book, and not trippy in a Gene Wolfe sort of way, but in a cheap drug sort of way, quick reads and I like em, its like The Hour of the Dragon on a bad acid trip,
I think it helps if you listen to Hawkwind the entire time you're reading those books.

Moorcock's writing is often so terrible that I can barely stand it...but then there are the great parts that make up for it, I guess. Does anyone know what happened to the Elric movie?

RE: this kind of writing, check out these books if you haven't already:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fafhrd_and_the_Gray_Mouser
Pop1287
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Pop1287 »

Mr. Budd wrote:Proust is going to keep me busy for several months I figure. Good so far.
Thank god for the new translations...
This Means War
The Brutality Continues...

Post by This Means War »

Just finished Jim Goad - Shit Magnet. It was pretty good. 8/10.

Started David Cross - I Drink For A Reason. I read the first few chapters and it's LOL.
hard paranormal dong wrote: one of these days im going to upload my fist onto the internet, i just hope one day you accidentally download it.
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

The Odyssey - Homer

:shock: what the hell is it Im reading? and why is it so awesome! and why am I barely getting around to reading this now??
Phritz
I'm not very smart.

Post by Phritz »

mithrandir wrote:The Odyssey - Homer

:shock: what the hell is it Im reading? and why is it so awesome! and why am I barely getting around to reading this now??
:moreawesome:
i've been on a mythology trip for quite a while now. the stuff is super awesome and interesting. but also pretty demanding (since i've already forgotten most of what i learnt about it in school). it takes quite a while to get how all the myths are connected.
just re-read the the hercules myth the other day, because i've just read the marxist interpretation of hercules by Peter Weiss.
rīdoonrīmenbā
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

mithrandir wrote:The Odyssey - Homer

There's so much awesome stuff to read. I'm going to have to stop buying stuff now to avoid dying with unread books on my shelves.

Phritz - consider tracking down a download of Strapping Fieldhands - In the Pineys ep - sailor indy with some songs with mythology lyrics.

True visionaries indeed.

I also recently landed a Hungarian contemporary collection called Leopard V - An Island of Sound edited by Szirtes (the guy who translated Krasznahorkai) and it absolutely rules so far.
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

I'm surprised how non linear the story is man, and considering how nerdy I was about The Silmarillion this should have been where I turned afterwords, The Odyssey with all the names and time-lines and details to keep in order is undoubtedly my kind of book
Pop1287
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Pop1287 »

Well, if you like Homer read The Aeneid next, in close comparison with Dante...

As beautiful as The Odyssey often is, Virgil is way beyond that...quite modern in many ways. Still my favorite line of Homer's: "filled his eyes with darkness", i.e. every time someone is killed...the earthiness of Homer's Greek is amazing in that way, as if when you killed a person you were literally "shoving" darkness into their minds/eyes...taking every little bit of them away...
Pop1287
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Pop1287 »

mithrandir wrote:I'm surprised how non linear the story is man, and considering how nerdy I was about The Silmarillion this should have been where I turned afterwords, The Odyssey with all the names and time-lines and details to keep in order is undoubtedly my kind of book
Read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mabinogion-Pengui ... =8-1-spell

And you'll be in familiar territory.
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

looks up my alley for sure, I just added it as well as The Aeneid, to my Shelfari "I Plan To Read" queue,
Pop1287
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Pop1287 »

mithrandir wrote:looks up my alley for sure, I just added it as well as The Aeneid, to my Shelfari "I Plan To Read" queue,
Yes. Don't forget to read/watch the BBC versions of these, btw:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gormenghast
Irmin Schmidt, founder of seminal German 'Krautrock' group Can has written an opera called Gormenghast, based on the novels, and a number of songs including 'Stranger Than Fiction' and 'Titus' by New Zealand rock group Split Enz and 'The Drowning Man' by The Cure were inspired by Peake's work. The British progressive rock group Strawbs feature a Ford/Hudson composition called 'Lady Fuschia' (sic) on their 1973 album Bursting at the Seams, about one of the main protagonists of this trilogy. Northern Irish progressive rock band Fruupp included a song called Gormenghast, inspired by the novels, on their fourth and final album Modern Masquerades, released in 1975. The bands Fuchsia (late 1960s folk rock) and Titus Groan (late 1960s rock) are named after the novels.
That should be enough...