Last Comic Book You Read 1-10

Music posts are a bannable offense.
CoconutBackwards1
One Of Many Accounts

Re: Last Comic Book You Read 1-10

Post by CoconutBackwards1 »

spacehamster wrote:Batman #1 - 9/10

But I really just bought this because Greg Capullo's art never fails to give me a boner, and I sure got what I paid for. The guy's a goddamn genius.

Like the Korn "Follow the Leader" album art work for example... :wink:
The only question that I thought was hard was do I like Kirk, or do I like Picard?
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

That's a good cover. It's just too bad it's on a Korn album.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

i thought that was todd mcfarlaine
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

Batman #1 8/10

Great art.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

james wrote:i thought that was todd mcfarlaine
McFarlane may have inked it. Obviously his name was the one that stuck because most people didn't know who Capullo was.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
storm shadow
Machine Gun Etiquette

Post by storm shadow »

spacehamster wrote:someone really needs to tell Morrison that he does an incredibly shitty "self-aware" campy.
Man, can I just say how sick I am of Grant Morrison? At this point I'd much rather read Frank Miller's race-baiting Post-It notes than another "zany" Morrison comic full of his wanky fucking postmodern reinventions. I'll give him Animal Man, New X-Men, All-Star Superman, even The Invisibles, but I feel like I'm the only person in the world who got tired of his schtick a long time ago.
james wrote:portable auschwitz
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The thing with Morrison for me is basically that he'll forever get a free pass because he wrote Arkham Asylum. That book seriously operates at an artistic level that not even Alan Moore ever really got to.

Action Comics #2 is clearly better than the first one, by the way. We'll see.
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

Punisher Max #'s 1 to 7 - 8.5/10

Good villains in this.
No Cunting Elves
\m/Johnny\m/
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by \m/Johnny\m/ »

New Avengers #1-6 7.5/10

Very entertaining, but don't see why it came SO highly recommended by my nerdly friends.
elephants gerald wrote:
- GLENN DANZIG "literally a rotating cast of gigantic wigged infants," claims former tour manager
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

\m/Johnny\m/ wrote:New Avengers #1-6 7.5/10

Very entertaining, but don't see why it came SO highly recommended by my nerdly friends.
Is this the thing that starts with the breakout on the Raft, where electro uses his special hat?? That gets WAY better. I had a fucking ton of fun reading that!
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
\m/Johnny\m/
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by \m/Johnny\m/ »

james wrote:

Is this the thing that starts with the breakout on the Raft, where electro uses his special hat?? That gets WAY better. I had a fucking ton of fun reading that!
That's it. I should probably continue the series, huh.
elephants gerald wrote:
- GLENN DANZIG "literally a rotating cast of gigantic wigged infants," claims former tour manager
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Swamp Thing #1 8.5/10

I will definitely keep reading.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I'm still not sure what to think of Mark Waid's Daredevil sorta-relaunch. I've been reading Daredevil monthly ever since the Marvel Knights book launched (yes, that was the one Kevin Smith wrote, but this was before the cool kids decided everyone was now required to hate Kevin Smith), and it had definitely kind of painted itself into a corner towards the end there, but I don't think it really needed a complete makeover. Or maybe I'm just sick of fat, aging nerds like Mark Waid preaching how much better comics were when they were still "for kids", but Daredevil has been a character that mostly appealed to a more mature niche audience for a while now, so I really don't see the need for a lighter tone and less mature themes. It's well done for what it is, but it reads like a Spider-Man book from 1980. Actually, the whole storyline about the soundwaves guy very much reminded me of the first Spidey comic I ever read when I was a little shit.
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

spacehamster wrote:I'm still not sure what to think of Mark Waid's Daredevil sorta-relaunch. I've been reading Daredevil monthly ever since the Marvel Knights book launched (yes, that was the one Kevin Smith wrote, but this was before the cool kids decided everyone was now required to hate Kevin Smith), and it had definitely kind of painted itself into a corner towards the end there, but I don't think it really needed a complete makeover. Or maybe I'm just sick of fat, aging nerds like Mark Waid preaching how much better comics were when they were still "for kids", but Daredevil has been a character that mostly appealed to a more mature niche audience for a while now, so I really don't see the need for a lighter tone and less mature themes. It's well done for what it is, but it reads like a Spider-Man book from 1980. Actually, the whole storyline about the soundwaves guy very much reminded me of the first Spidey comic I ever read when I was a little shit.
I just finished the first one last night. I hear great things about the run so far though.
No Cunting Elves
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Honky Kong 64 wrote: I just finished the first one last night. I hear great things about the run so far though.
It does what it aims to do really well - including the art. Actually, especially the art. I'm just not sure if this is what I want from my Daredevil comics.
IFryKids
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by IFryKids »

Bendis is probably the most divisive writer in mainstream comics right now. Some think he's absolutely brilliant, and has been very innovative, while others absolutely hate his dialogue and how he writes certain characters(especially Spider-Man).

I don't think he's that great, personally. Though I have to admit, his Daredevil run is absolutely amazing. After he moved to the Avengers line, he's been very hit or miss.
This is my sacrifice
This is my life
This is my only regret
That I ever was born
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Swamp Thing #2

Still good. God, I hate prophecy/chosen one themes.
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO wrote:Swamp Thing #2

Still good. God, I hate prophecy/chosen one themes.
It gets even better with #3.
No Cunting Elves
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

I couldn't find a #3 download when I was looking yesterday.
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

X-Men: Inferno Omnibus - 10
Dark Tower - The Gunslinger: The Battle Of Tull - 7
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Dynamo 5: Sins of the Father - 6/10

I really liked the ongoing Dynamo 5 series about up until the point where I guess Faerber ran out of ideas and decided it would be a good idea to switch everyone's powers around and thus ruin a large chunk of what made the characters interesting. Based on the writing in this one, I guess it's a good thing he stopped. It's not a complete disaster or anything, but the premise (all the adults are off somewhere, so the kid superheroes have to save the day) and the resolution (killing is bad mkay) are both tired and silly, and the art sucks. No Mahmud Asrar = no rikey.
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

X-Men: Inferno Crossovers Omnibus - 10
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

Uncanny X-Force 17 - 9.5/10

This comic is awesome, especially the Dark Angel arc.
No Cunting Elves
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Green Lantern Corps #2 - I dunno, 6?

I basically decided to give this one the benefit of the doubt because Peter Tomasi is back writing it, which makes it legit in my book, but it's pretty meh so far. I certainly appreciate the fact that they're leaving the other corps out of it for the time being and it doesn't look like Richard Simmons puked a rainbow on every page anymore, but I couldn't for the life of me tell you why any of what's going on so far is supposed to be interesting. It just smacks of "I have to come up with a GLC script, so here's, uh, something."
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

Havok and Wolverine: Meltdown - 6