Latest Gene Wolfe book you read (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Re: Latest book you read (1-10 scale)

Post by riley-o »

EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO wrote:Can't it be both?
i think being genuinely that crazy would preclude you from using it to troll as i think trolling has to be intentional

i haven't finished a book in ages

sorry about this thread, it deserves better
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Chevalier Mal Fet
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Chevalier Mal Fet »

gelatinous cube wrote:
Hah, I saw that today (via Andrew Sullivan).
Same, I love the Daily Dish. It's usually a huge act of resistance not to re-post 80% of his posts here or on FB.
Dudes - check out my record: https://linktr.ee/illuminihilation
gelatinous cube
Hetero as hell...

Post by gelatinous cube »

Chevalier Mal Fet wrote:
gelatinous cube wrote:
Hah, I saw that today (via Andrew Sullivan).
Same, I love the Daily Dish. It's usually a huge act of resistance not to re-post 80% of his posts here or on FB.
Yeah, if I accomplish nothing else over a given day, I will usually at least have read most every post from Sully.
gelatinous cube
Hetero as hell...

Post by gelatinous cube »

Monsignor Quixote - Graham Greene: 8/10

Did not expect much from this despite being crazy about Greene. Really touching piece with the usual heavy dose of moral uncertainty and sadness.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

Maxim issue 163 (July) - 0/10

Cover story says Rose Huntington Whitely's lips saved the world. Too bad they didn't save this stupid fucking issue. There was a card inside the magazine that gave me $500 for Red Star Worldwear. That was pretty cool, I ordered like 9 pairs of sunglasses.

There's an article in here that's supposedly about juicing a snake. That's fucking awesome because you could watch it try not to die while it spun around in a blender. I tried to read it but there was a cologne sample that made my thumb flip to the wrong page. I read the wrong page and I got pissed off.

The entire world is just a big giant commercial brake. It's just corporations trying to get you to buy shit you don't even need and causing autism at an increasing rate. This issue gets 0 out of 10 because of that.

-Gary
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
Fuck...I'm Dave
git help.

Post by Fuck...I'm Dave »

Fall of Giants by Ken Follett

good WWI novel, I need to read some of Follett's earlier works.
Gay for Cock
Olde Timer

Post by Gay for Cock »

What is Anarchism? - Alexander Berkman 8.5/10
"It is the maze that dreams. And I am lost."
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

Christi-Anarchy - Dave Andrews 8
A new friend is friends with the author and might have lived with him in Australia if I am not mistaken, so he has a box of these books. Another short easy one. Very readable. Stuff I'm already familiar with, but probably a very good, readable overview.
Image Certified Poster
altars of radness
Olde Timer

Post by altars of radness »

Chomsky - Hopes and Prospects
8/10
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Excellent as usual. I found the beginning to be slightly bitter, but I may have just been projecting. This was the first recent Chomsky book I've read, and a lot of it is based on current issues, so overall it comes across as fairly urgent and immediate. Lots of Israel/Middle East/NATO, which might strike some as overkill at this point in Chomsky's career, but the chapters on South America, Obama and the fallout of the cold war were enlightening, especially for someone like me, whose interest in politics is far from overwhelming.
Philp Roth - The Counterlife
8.4/10
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Definitely the most Jew-centric story I've read by Roth. It makes Portnoy's Complaint look like fucking Mein Kampf. Still, the main thrust of the book is universal -- re-invention and deception, the torture and denial involved in each.

It's probably the best use of Roth's pseudo pseudonym, Nathan Zuckerman. More than in any of the other Zuckerman books, it's this one that utilizes Zuckerman as a symbol of the book's themes and makes clearer the whole point of Zuckerman as a literary creation. Roth's use of Zuckerman here, because he's so involved in the story, becomes really convoluted at times, but never in a way that actually complicates anything or gets in the way of enjoying the story. Quite the opposite. Really fucking good.
Milan Kundera - The Book of Laughter and Forgetting
3/10
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
This reminded me a lot of Paulo Coehlo -- flimsy, forgettable cliches masked as some kind of wisdom. The writing isn't that good either -- really dry, lame symbolism, bland characters, a few weak forays into magic/fantasy. Awful.
Moby Dick
As a novel: 9/10
As a story: 9/10
As storytelling: 4/10
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I'd be lying if I said I completely enjoyed this. The first hundred pages or so are fantastic, then it pretty much loses all momentum. I get the point of the exhaustive amount of detail about whales, but those sections were invariably boring to read and ground the story to a halt. There's a lot to love about MD, but most of my appreciation derives from the overall weirdness and hugeness of the book and the amount of work and faith that had to have gone into it. It's a bit of a mess, but it's a brave and committed novel.
McCarthy - All the Pretty Horses
9.5/10
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Re-read this as I'm planning on reading the rest of the Border Trilogy. Blood Meridian may be McCarthy's best novel, but this is his best story telling. Beautiful.
John Dos Passos - The 42nd Parallel
6/10
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Another trilogy I'm in the midst of. I heard Dos Passos' USA trilogy is one of the great American epics, but so far I'm not convinced. It's far from unique -- there's plenty of Steinbeck, lots of Faulkner, a surprising amount of Upton Sinclair -- and the massive scope of the book results in some potentially great moments being glanced over, but things will hopefully ramp up a little in the next story.
Erik13 wrote:Does anyone have pics of Ron shirtless?
http://teenagedesires.bandcamp.com
http://mockduck.bandcamp.com
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

altars of radness wrote: McCarthy - All the Pretty Horses
Re-read this as I'm planning on reading the rest of the Border Trilogy
:tup:
Image Certified Poster
ibn Horowitz
Electric Lucifer

Post by ibn Horowitz »

A House for Mr Biswas - VS Naipaul - 10/10
probably overlong but i can't find it in me to care
Lord Beguile
JOSH

Post by Lord Beguile »

Chariots of The Gods - 8.7

Carlos Castaneda's Don Juan's Teachings - 9.7
Bored013 wrote:I've spoke to a few girls after they've been raped...there is of course the pain, the violence, the degradation...but there is also the question. "Why did he leave?"
hana maru wrote:..i've dealt with tiny dicked men pounding on my girl parts for minutes at a time.
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

the national wrestling alliance: the monopoly that strangled pro wrestling

9/10

tons of facts and names. way old school.
smooth
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by smooth »

Book: Ecstasy through Tantra - 7/10 - Informative, placing the seemingly perverse in "magickal" realms.

Audio: Stumbling on Happiness - 8/10 - Very entertaining and informative. Was surprising to hear a good perspective of happiness (as very fabricated and fickle).
The Talmud wrote:Menahoth 43b-44a. A Jewish man is obligated to say the following prayer every day: Thank you God for not making me a gentile, a woman or a slave.
Chevalier Mal Fet
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Chevalier Mal Fet »

I am 1/4th, volume-wise through Carl Sandburg's Abraham Lincoln: The War Years

This is what I live for when it comes to reading history, insanely rich in detail in describing both the big stories and the little stories interspersed with excellent illustrations and exhibits from the time period, mostly in the form of political comics running in magazines it never occurred to me had been around so long (Vanity Fair, among others). There is really an emphasis on telling the story through the ridiculous amount of facts and first hand accounts informing the author's fly on the wall imagination.. The other major players of the period on both sides are given equal treatment, and some characters are dug out of obscurity and found remarkably in pivotal roles. Sandburg is alternately empathetic and vicious towards Lincoln and the rest of the cast as the situation demands. Excellent and intriguing stuff, on the same level as The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich or Parting the Waters: America in the King Years

10/10
Dudes - check out my record: https://linktr.ee/illuminihilation
ibn Horowitz
Electric Lucifer

Post by ibn Horowitz »

Tobacco Road - Erskine Caldwell - 6/10
social conscience obscured by exploitation of stereotypical lathered-up hicks, fuckin and prayin
Good line though, after one of the hicks hits a black dude with a car and kills him, old guy strokes his chin thoughtfully: "yep, niggers will die, alright"
High Rise - JG Ballard - 8/10
Mooretician
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Mooretician »

Bored013 wrote: Under the Dome - 5/10, way too fucking long, some good ideas, the usual exploration of white trash small town shit. You've also read THIS book before.
I've read maybe 60% of what I guess you could call 'Nu-King' (minus the Dark tower) and I definitely liked this one the most. I didn't mind the length but in typical King fashion, the ending is kind of botched. The explanation of the Dome came and went so quickly that after investing so much time in the book it was irritating to have everything explained away so briefly. However, it would make for a truly awesome television show.
copstache wrote:on a positive note, i hope if i get old and encrippled my nurses come and put on Judeobeast Assassin and watch my horrible atrophied limbs twitch in some mess of neurons flickering and dying
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

A Dance With Dragons - 9
This Means War
The Brutality Continues...

Post by This Means War »

Read a bit this weekend:

Who Killed Marilyn: Were the Kennedys Involved? - 8/10

Moby Dick - 10/10

The Inferno - 12/10

From Ape To Man: A Study In Evolution - 9/10

Birth Of A Nation (Aaron MacGruder graphic novel) - 6/10
hard paranormal dong wrote: one of these days im going to upload my fist onto the internet, i just hope one day you accidentally download it.
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

Mona Lisa Overdrive - 7.5/10
Last edited by Honky Kong 64 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No Cunting Elves
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

any Don Quixote experts on here that can assist a comrade with a preferred translation or edition?

IMPORTANT
Chad
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by Chad »

fallbacktostone wrote:any Don Quixote experts on here that can assist a comrade with a preferred translation or edition?

IMPORTANT
John Ormsby
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

I wouldn't ignore any advice from Chad.
NANOplague
I'm not very smart.

Post by NANOplague »

The Ringworld Engineers by Larry Niven - 8.6
"Infidel defilers... they shall all drown in lakes of blood." ~ Thulsa Doom
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Chad wrote:
fallbacktostone wrote:any Don Quixote experts on here that can assist a comrade with a preferred translation or edition?

IMPORTANT
John Ormsby
mr. budd used to insist on charles jervis and he loved that book a lot
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES