Latest Gene Wolfe book you read (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Re: Latest book you read (1-10 scale)

Post by Necrometer »

oh the buenofa orientation manual, how darling
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

if you didn't weep once while reading Frankenstein than I can't take you serious as an empathic person
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Chevalier Mal Fet wrote:Frankenstein Mary Shelley 7/10 - The one thing that always bugs me about classic horror lit is how often the writer feels they have to remind you how terrified you are supposed to be by their story. I noticed this in Dracula, Lovecraft, Poe, etc... and now Shelley too. You do the writin, I'll do the reactin'.
how is this even possible in an epistolary novel like Dracula? it's been a while since I've read it but... how are news articles and personal letters going to incorporate this stuff you're complaining about?
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

TheDOAD wrote:
mithrandir wrote:if you didn't weep once while reading Frankenstein than I can't take you serious as an empathic person
you just have a cripple fetish.

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
loser

so I take it you laughed yer ass off at the monster as he shambled along in pure despondency at his own creation?
badgevvrecker
I know you are but what am I?

Post by badgevvrecker »

mithrandir wrote:
TheDOAD wrote:
mithrandir wrote:if you didn't weep once while reading Frankenstein than I can't take you serious as an empathic person
you just have a cripple fetish.

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
loser

so I take it you laughed yer ass off at the monster as he shambled along in pure despondency at his own creation?
if they're going to laugh at and demean someone for chosing to enjoy the company of someone with palsy, what do you honestly think?
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

heck, I just want to talk about the book...

when I first read it I was surprised what a non-horror book it turned out to be, it was completely depressing almost to the point of torture living through the eyes of the monster, Frankenstein was completely unsympathetic and I was rooting for him to create a companion,

I still don't see this has a horror story or not in the way it was intended but maybe more of a Science Fiction study of a "what if" situation, what if there existed a sentient, feeling, being who is rejected by all and has no others like him on the planet to sympathize with or lend compassion?

so it always vexes me when someone reads this book and this part of the story doesn't seem to affect them

perhaps I was the one who missed the point entirely about MSFrankenstein, or there is an unintended moral to the story to be extracted that MS hadn't intended
Frickin' Slayer
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Frickin' Slayer »

watre ur guys top 10 books? and wat sign r the arthurs?
http://myspace.com/scarydeathmetal
riley-o wrote:i'm also a scorpio, not an aries.
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

:fonz:
Chevalier Mal Fet
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Chevalier Mal Fet »

Ross - Despite the fact that Dracula is framed as a series of correspondences and journal entries, the characters still lay the prose on a little thick in terms of being believable as framed. I mean is Harker really writing letters and journal entries where he narrates minute by minute his experience and every emotion he felt during each minute?

I am kind of curious how your science mind reacts to the use of "science" as an abracadabra word in both books. I mean Seward mentions a few things about bloodsucking animals but Dr. Frankenstein barely scrapes the surface in terms of how he got from being a science guy to creating his monstrosity. He just scienced it into existence apparently.

Mithy - I should probably read Frankenstein again in a more depressing atmosphere, i.e. not on vacation. I thought it was a good story, with some very affecting moments, but I think the same themes are explored much more effectively in John Gardner's Grendel. The one other major peeve I had with Frankenstein was the "twist" of the monster killing his sister-wife. I mean, they serve it up on a silver platter for both the reader and Frankenstein and then we have to believe it when Frankenstein goes through his whirlwind of shocked depression afterwards. Things like this can pull me out of the story and make me disdainful of the writer.
Dudes - check out my record: https://linktr.ee/illuminihilation
ibn Horowitz
Electric Lucifer

Post by ibn Horowitz »

The Cold Six Thousand - James Ellroy - 5/10
bloated
Moravagine - Blaise Cendrars - 5/10
mostly boring. the titular psychopath is introduced in his cell at a sanatorium while he is morosely masturbating into a goldfish bowl held between his thighs. My expectations were high after that but the book is too slipshod.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Chevalier Mal Fet wrote:Ross - Despite the fact that Dracula is framed as a series of correspondences and journal entries, the characters still lay the prose on a little thick in terms of being believable as framed. I mean is Harker really writing letters and journal entries where he narrates minute by minute his experience and every emotion he felt during each minute?
OK, that's fair.
I am kind of curious how your science mind reacts to the use of "science" as an abracadabra word in both books. I mean Seward mentions a few things about bloodsucking animals but Dr. Frankenstein barely scrapes the surface in terms of how he got from being a science guy to creating his monstrosity. He just scienced it into existence apparently.
I think I am OK with it - whatever it takes to generate a conceptual boogeyman that's convincing, right? I've actually never read Frankenstein... haven't even seen one of the movies start-to-finish.
VueeeuVueeeeuV
DO NOT WANT.

Post by VueeeuVueeeeuV »

I thought the structure of Dracula wrecked it. No matter how well he was describing things, you know that the fact that he was ment that he and his cowboys and germans and other buddies came out of it ok. I should re read dracula. AND I SHOULD FINISH FRANKENSTIEN OR AT LEAST GET TO THE FUCKING MIDDLE.
Exterminate. EXTERMINATE!
ibn Horowitz
Electric Lucifer

Post by ibn Horowitz »

The Singapore Grip - JG Farrell - 8/10
The Sisters Brothers - Patrick DeWitt - 6/10
This was a fine little piece of nothing. Does a good job of that overly formal True Grit/Deadwood-style western language.
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

WEB DuBois - Souls of Black Folk 9/10
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

Herman Hesse - Steppenwolf - 8.5

Forgot to review this. It took me FOREVER even though it's so short and easy because I wasn't in the mood for all that moping and INNAR MADNIS.
fvkk
\m/Johnny\m/
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by \m/Johnny\m/ »

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving 6/10

Good book; but when compared to earlier John Irving (Hotel New Hampshire, Cider House Rules), it doesn't quite have the nuts. A lot of political bitching too, which always turns me off.
Last edited by \m/Johnny\m/ on Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
elephants gerald wrote:
- GLENN DANZIG "literally a rotating cast of gigantic wigged infants," claims former tour manager
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

I had to read that in high school. It was moderately entertaining, but I'd never read anythign else by him.
fvkk
featherboa
The 7000 Club

Post by featherboa »

Not Religion Butt Love 9
Image Certified Poster
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

Bored013 wrote:
father of lies wrote:Herman Hesse - Steppenwolf - 8.5

Forgot to review this. It took me FOREVER even though it's so short and easy because I wasn't in the mood for all that moping and INNAR MADNIS.
So you gonna learn how to dance now? ;)
Actually yeah, I"ve been working on that shit a lot over the summer. I... I think I turned into a raver. When I deposit my check on Monday, I'm going to order a new pair of LED gloves, for the Bassnectar show in a few weeks.

party on
fvkk
badgevvrecker

Post by badgevvrecker »

someones will mix dubsteb wobble with baroque harpsichord. then, unfortunately, the steampunk meme might never die.
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

Steampunk was okay when it was just a few gamer nerds and such.
fvkk
badgevvrecker

Post by badgevvrecker »

well at least they're creative and industrious, which is a hell of a lot more than anyone could ever say about goths and ravers.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Push-6 (it was actually better than I thought it would be).
Hot, Flat, and Crowded- 7.5. A little repetitive, but Friedman makes some good points.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

Yeah, but goths have better music (and rpgs) and ravers have, ah, drugs.
fvkk
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »