Game of Thrones reminder

Music posts are a bannable offense.
doubleblumpkin
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: Game of Thrones reminder

Post by doubleblumpkin »

I really need to get cracking on ADWD, Honky Kong keeps telling me how great it is, maybe I'll start today. I got a signed copy, not gonna crack that though, gonna kindle it methinks.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Dad wrote:Pizza nigga
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Already posted? Qhorin Halfhand and Ygritte.

Finished ADWD and
Honky Kong 64 wrote:Oh god the wait.
Mithrandir, whenever you have time, I wouldn't mind a pm of all the mysteries and secrets. I assume they discuss all this at http://www.westeros.org?

Your "Where do whores go?" autograph is amazing. :tup:
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
doubleblumpkin
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by doubleblumpkin »

Ygritte :mastoman: I hope they have graphic sexy scenes when they're in the cave having love fest
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Dad wrote:Pizza nigga
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

Wang Mandu wrote:
Finished ADWD and
Honky Kong 64 wrote:Oh god the wait.
Mithrandir, whenever you have time, I wouldn't mind a pm of all the mysteries and secrets. I assume they discuss all this at http://www.westeros.org?

Your "Where do whores go?" autograph is amazing. :tup:

GRRM said 7 is the magic number, 7 books, 7 gods, 7 kingdoms

wrapping up this perfect storm he created, tying up all those loose plot threads in 2 more novels?? I just don't see that happening... and of course GRRM said if need be he'll go longer, but he'd really like to aim for 7

I don't give a fuck though, he can make it 20! and I'll love every one of them,

shits taken over my life though I need to really get away from ASOIAF, I've actually been reading Glen Cook's The Black Company series since I finished ADWD last summer, yet I keep finding myself obsessing over ASOIAF and going online line and constantly reading and posting more about ASOIAF !

Wang Mandu, PM sent!
Blair
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Blair »

I strongly recommend Gene Wolfe's post-historical series:
The Books of the New Sun
The Books of the Long Sun
The Books of the Short Sun

It includes:
South America anyways from 60,000 to 1,000,000 years in the future
Alien submarine Cthulhu's
Sabre-toothed Apemen
Cannibalism Drugs
Alien Angels
Generation starships
AI Gods
Lightsabres
Robot Tank-Centaurs
Interplanetary flying shapechanging reptile leech vampires
Zerohero wrote:shooting cum on that hot chick that is my altar.
doubleblumpkin wrote:Guess who's riding a pig through the jungle 8)
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

Rosary_Butt_Beads wrote:
mithrandir wrote:I've actually been reading Glen Cook's The Black Company series since I finished ADWD last summer
I read that series a few years back. It's a fun read. I understand your distraction. While waiting for ADWD to come out I got about halfway through Erickson's Gardens of the Moon series (fuck that guy is prolific). It too, is a good read, but I thought to myself many times how I couldn't wait to get back to the GRRM stuff.
yup, I bought a few books and I'm ready to tackle Erickson as well this R Scott Baker fellow, they supposedly rival GRRM and some people say they're better, well see, I'm just hoping these guys work on the same 3 levels of depth that GRRM does that I mentioned earlier

also read the first book by Joe Abercrombie, which is totally biting off GRRM but much lighter and more on the humorous side, kind of like a cyberpunk novel set in a medieval fantasy realm, not bad for an inbetween
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

I never read Feist, he's been on my list for ages though,

I read 4 of the Earthsea novels, loved them all especially the 3rd book, The Farthest Shore, which was great, I always appreciate the ponderous philosophical nature of UKL

I read, Book of the New Sun, a while back ago, it was a trip...the man has a very odd and dreamy way of writing, I don't recall remembering half of everything I read when I finished! I'll have to go back and reread that one and tackle the entire series one day,
Blair
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Blair »

mithrandir wrote:I read, Book of the New Sun, a while back ago, it was a trip...the man has a very odd and dreamy way of writing, I don't recall remembering half of everything I read when I finished! I'll have to go back and reread that one and tackle the entire series one day,
I love rereading the New Sun books....there's so many subtleties and ambiguities that just fucking flourish with a rereading.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

Blair wrote:
mithrandir wrote:I read, Book of the New Sun, a while back ago, it was a trip...the man has a very odd and dreamy way of writing, I don't recall remembering half of everything I read when I finished! I'll have to go back and reread that one and tackle the entire series one day,
I love rereading the New Sun books....there's so many subtleties and ambiguities that just fucking flourish with a rereading.
Fuck yes. I love the New Sun story soooo fucking much. I never thanked you for recommending them, man. I really appreciate it.

I gotta read the Books of the Long Sun and Short Sun one of these days.
Blair
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Blair »

Friendly Goatus wrote: Fuck yes. I love the New Sun story soooo fucking much. I never thanked you for recommending them, man. I really appreciate it.

I gotta read the Books of the Long Sun and Short Sun one of these days.
Frakenstein's Castle!
The pit bull with the cave bear sized head!
Blair
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Blair »

Friendly Goatus wrote:I gotta read the Books of the Long Sun and Short Sun one of these days.
The Long Sun books = What was Typhon up to anyways?
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

I just started Shadow of the Torturer. I'm digging it so far. Thanks for the heads up.
No Cunting Elves
Warpsmasher
DO THE DEW!

Post by Warpsmasher »

blastocystosis wrote:I just finished reading A Game of Thrones and I'm now 50 pages into A Clash of Kings. Even though I watched the show first and knew all that would happen, I could not put Game of Thrones down. I'm expecting to finish all 5 books by the time season 2 comes out.
This is right where I'm at now, doing the audiobooks though.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW

Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

I've only listened to the first one so far but this sounds hilarious:

Boars, Gore and Swords: 3rd best Game of Thrones podcast
By Jason Weisberger at 9:31 am Tuesday, Nov 29

When all my friends were talking about George "Rail Road" Martin's 'Game of Thrones' -- I was lost. The show confused me, the books were just not an option; yet a small circle of my friends were completely obsessed.

Then I found the Boars, Gore and Swords podcast. Released quasi-weekly, Ivan and Red were just two guys just like me; confused and bewildered. After covering all ten (ten?) episodes of the show and now starting a book club, I can safely say -- they're just as confused and have largely refused any efforts to educate them on the make-believe world of Westeros. I just love it, they keep me laughing.

Listen as the two guys, and occasional guests, attempt to decode the insane (and insanely popular) fantasy epic that is 'A story of Fire and Ice' -- at least I think thats what its called. They delve into Martin's psyche, eating habits and never ever care about being factually correct.

The guys proudly tout themselves as the 3rd best podcast in their genre, but they are clearly my favorite.

http://bit.ly/sxVkjT

iShit - http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/boar ... d446720857
non - http://boarsgoreandswords.libsyn.com/
No Cunting Elves
blastocystosis
O.G. Interwebber

Post by blastocystosis »

I'm on A Feast for Crows now.

Really not giving a fuck about the Greyjoys/Iron Islands bullshit.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

hey... i totally gave a fuck.
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

I feel sorry for AFFC hates...

anyhow

Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

TheDOAD wrote:
blastocystosis wrote:I'm on A Feast for Crows now.

Really not giving a fuck about the Greyjoys/Iron Islands bullshit.

get ready to not give a fuck about everything for 2000+ pages.
Yes because the entire book was about that. I mean just skip over the Lannister character developments, Brienne, Arya, Dorne, and everything else that happened. It all ties together much more after reading ADWD.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
blastocystosis
O.G. Interwebber

Post by blastocystosis »

I'm not hating it but Jamie is by far the best part of this book. Arya goes without saying and Sam's chapters are great too. But this just feels like a more tedious read than the first half of Clash of Kings.
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

The Sphinx...
Deadhouse
Inhale/Exhale

Post by Deadhouse »

Anyone else absolutely hate the way John Lee reads AFFC?

I do enjoy seeing how the stuff from the Dunk and Egg novellas get worked into A Dance With Dragons.
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

when I listened to the audio versions for the first time it was a bit jarring going from Roy Dotrice to the other guy, I didn't mind it after a while and I think the way he did Ceresi was pretty good, getting the infliction of being haughty and constantly put upon..., Roy Dotrice is definitely the voice of that serious though, although I was a bit disappointed in how he didn't keep the same voices for a lot of characters in ADWD, the change in Melisandre and Danny was most disappointing, he's getting old though its not like he can remember all 300 or so voices...but it may not have even been him but someone else's decision, I can only hope he will be around to do the next book but he was sounding pretty feeble reading Dance, I don't have high hopes... :cry: but it will at least be a treat seeing him play the head Pyromancer in the next season of the show :tup:
Warpsmasher
DO THE DEW!

Post by Warpsmasher »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW

Warpsmasher
DO THE DEW!

Post by Warpsmasher »

Fuck, Storm of Swords was just epic. Roy Dotrice is seriously next level, probably the best audiobook narrator ever. The way he acts out all the lines and voices every character really helps keep the listener engaged and interested. I am already missing him hard...I just slogged through the first 2 chapters of Feast and am having a really hard time with it. I have another version (read by Ted Stoddard, bland grandpa type voice) that I'm hoping will be easier than John Lee, who sounds like George Takei on qualudes.
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

behringer escape plan wrote: I have another version (read by Ted Stoddard, bland grandpa type voice) that I'm hoping will be easier than John Lee, who sounds like George Takei on qualudes.
LOL :lol:

where did you get that other version? didn't know there was another out there,