The Dark Souls Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by Ghost Dad »

Spooky Apparition wrote::lol: :lol:

schwaiger: have you used magic at all before? if not... gotta get that homing soulmass. bum rushing an enemy while that shit is about to make impact is super fun
This. And spears are the way to go with magic dudes. Lightning or fire.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

unless you're truly stacked, you're still going to have to do a decent amount of melee.

btw, you're locking onto enemies when using the fireball, right? try using combustion too if you haven't already, it's faster and there's no aiming. you just need to be closer to them. sometimes you can sorta stun enemies which then opens them up for a beatdown
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

rest easy, brah. you didn't level up the fireball, just the pyromancy flame itself. that upgraded flame is used for whatever pyromancy spell you use. there are like 20 of them.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Yeah, like iron flesh :wank:

anyone use any of the abyss magics? And HOW do I make the artorias sword? This thread is my wiki.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

:lol: :lol: :lol: All I got was this lousy one of the best rings in the game
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Yeah, if you're planning on using anything but super light gear havel's ring is crucial. CRUCIAL.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Armor's in a diff'rent location, breh. YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

No one got Havel's weapons or armour from Havel.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

If you use havel's ring AND that ring that breaks when you take it off.... you're going to be rolling in style with some heavy ass armor. i mean that literally, you'll still be able to roll when wearing heavy ass armor.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

owned
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

havel's ring is the best ring to start, and the ring of protection is tits. you'll get another on NG+.

Dark majicks are good for PvE, but just don't use them PvP. Sort of an unwritten code that you bust out dark beads or the like and all kinds of ganky shit becomes "legal" (tumble buffs, weapon menu swaps, chain bs, etc). I have my darkmoon build set with a WotG attuned in case someone wants to get all black magic spammy. Hornet ring + rapier/dark silver tracer = backstabby oneshot.

As for the Artorias sword, I think you need to crank up one of the thrusty swords to +10 and then go to the Giant Blacksmith and he'll convert it for you.

Edit:
Artorias Sword: Created by the Giant Blacksmith in Anor Londo using: Soul of Sif; +10 Broken Straight Sword or +10 Straight Sword Hilt; 5,000 souls
Artorias Sword (Cursed): Created by the Giant Blacksmith in Anor Londo using: Soul of Sif; Any +10 Dagger, Greatsword, or Straightsword except Broken Straight Sword and Straight Sword Hilt; 5,000 souls

Need 18 in Int and Faith for cursed, 20s for normal. Moveset is sweet, but just doesn't seem worth it...
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

a world of no wrote:I have my darkmoon build set with a WotG attuned in case someone wants to get all black magic spammy. Hornet ring + rapier/dark silver tracer = backstabby oneshot.
that's a fucking build man. i played a TON of PVP when the DLC came out because the township was like ground zero for it, but i definitely started to get annoyed with all the dark magic. i got decent at dodging it..... but then i just started doing the pursuers/dark bead combo :oops: i was part of the problem, but i was kicking ass
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

a world of no wrote:and the ring of protection is tits. you'll get another on NG+.
you can get another from snuggly crow too
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

havel's ring and whatever that ring is you get for killing that gold piece of shit at firelink are pretty much essential for like half the builds out there
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

FVBTVS wrote:
a world of no wrote:and the ring of protection is tits. you'll get another on NG+.
you can get another from snuggly crow too
Shit... I forgot about that. I think I've only ever used her for ring of fog and maybe some slabs or something.

Nowadays I just armor up with the lightest poise armors and use the wolf ring. I use havels if I feel like playing around with the great club or duel wield scythes and still be able to fast roll.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Okay after about two hours of play with my magic user, Taurus is dead, Gargoyles are dead, Dusty's super secret grindspot is unlocked, and I'm SL 19 with 27INTELLIGENCE and 19ATTUNEMENT and fucking nothing else. I'm using a short sword and a wooden shield. No idea why I bumped my attunement up to five spell slots so early when I still only know one fuckin' spell :lol: :lol: :fp: Oh well, my soul arrow is doing like 120 damage to most things and I have 30 of them, so fuck it. Gonna grind out for a bit, pad my stats, keep it real, go unlock Griggs, get some real spells, and go to bed with dreams of Homing Crystal Soulmass dancing in my head.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

The glass cannon character is pretty fun but it's a shame they forgot a magic based covenant. The DLC makes up for it a bit.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Fucking Capra just fucking murdered me ruthlessly without me scoring a hit about ten times in a row. Then a rat poisoned me as I was heading back over. I'm out for tonight..
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

riley-o wrote:Fucking Capra just fucking murdered me ruthlessly without me scoring a hit about ten times in a row..
:fp: c'mon man. Dispatch doggie, sprint to the furthest corner of the room, soul arrow and repeat. Takes 90 seconds.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Invaders who just sit there are the fucking worst. Like I'm going to run around the Duke's Archives after getting invaded. You've got 7-8 minutes to come find me or I'm alt-f4'ing outta there.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Wang Mandu wrote:Invaders who just sit there are the fucking worst. Like I'm going to run around the Duke's Archives after getting invaded. You've got 7-8 minutes to come find me or I'm alt-f4'ing outta there.
Booo... Duke's, Anor Londo, and Sen's can take ages to find the fuckers. I invaded a guy in Sen's last night and it took at least 10 minutes to find his ass. Later I was invading in the Darkroot Basin, but near the Parish, spawn up before the stairs down from Andre and run towards the Forest door/Bonfire where 99.9% of all invadees are waiting. Nope... Nothing. Figure "Chameleon", so I start hacking trees. Nothing.. Backtrack and walk up out to the ledge of the basin. See nothing. Figure fucker is hiding out somewhere, so I run down the cliffside and find the fucker right outside the door to Havel's tower waiting. Took me well over 10 minutes to find him just to get spammed by dark beads and pursuers.

Don't F4 out unless you know the invader is hiding out in an ambush and you can't handle it. Otherwise, go find the fucker and finish him.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

I'm not playing yet, but I hear the best first time ever starting character to play is a sorcerer. :shock: Usually, I avoid this and just play as a knight/warrior/I'm-going-to-cut-you-with-a-big-sword type, but being I'm so damn bored of the sword genre, and that this game seems to be brutal on the up close combat, that might be the way to go. What do YOU think?
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Sorcerers are kinda nerfed at the start, due to their puny stats. But once you start rolling with them and learn distance and timing, they're incredibly powerful...I wrecked a lot of bosses without any issue that I struggled with as a fighter during my playthrough. Like I said, you really have to get your timing down (but due to the mechanics of this game, the same could be said about any character). You might appreciate using magic more if you play as a melee character first, but whatever, go for it.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

I would start melee and build your stats to sorcerer badass a little later. PvE magic is OP. PvP magic will get you fucked, as most players can easily dodge magic attacks and stabfuck you to death. Faith for miracles is another option, but that's more of a supplemental magic that helps melee characters I think.

For a sorcerer look into magic scale weapons. Falchion and rapier will mess shit up when enchanted if your int is high enough. Moonlight greatsword (late game) and moonlight butterfly horn (early game) are a mage's best friend next to their catalyst.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

So, maybe Pyromancer is the better starting character. This game must be good. Here I am discussing it when I have zero plans to play it anytime soon.