James Cameron's AVATAR 2 - now playing in cinema theaters

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR - LOL @ selective embargo

Post by Necrometer »

Hunter, you would REALLY have been fucking with people had you hit the twitter a few days earlier, but that shit is almost totally disregarded now that there are proper reviews. Maybe for Tron 2?

OK, going to do my best to STOP bumping this eyesore of furfaggery until I see it, but yeah the rottentomatoes score might not mean much because I guess the embargo is only lifted for those with something positive to say. Pretty shitty, and goes against all the things for which I stand!

Scott Tobias of Onion A/V club quips:
It would appear that the AVATAR embargo could be lifted only by critics who voice conspicuously wrong-headed opinions about it.
Here's the perfect analogy for you: Early AVATAR reviews = Harry Knowles's review for GODZILLA.
Even considering that, Variety is not about to write that shit if the movie is a turd. So I'm still excited, with low expecations for the non theme-park elements.

And here, Ben Stiller promotes the movie...
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
valgalder
Wandering Johnny!

Post by valgalder »

hahah... i'm not a Ben Stiller fan at all, but that's pretty funny.
Skyclun wrote: Explain to me how I'm dumb for not knowing how PayPal works.
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

from The Guardian review:

"The locals turn out to be spindly blue 10-foot humanoids with distractingly twitchy ears – suggestions that Avatar is somehow channelling Ferngully are not all that wide of the mark. Sully quickly falls for the non-specific mystical rabbitings of the tribe, involving memory-harbouring trees, intimate relationships with flying lizards, and other such prog-rock-influenced stylings. It really is like a Yes album cover come to life."

:moreawesome:

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

MANTIS wrote:It really is like a Yes album cover come to life.
ahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Khumuthelu
Privilege of Evil

Post by Khumuthelu »

smurfs 3d
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Yes cover = fuckstory?
Khumuthelu wrote:smurfs 3d
your ideas are original and infuriating
Sineadrepresent
Face of Collapse

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR - 100% on rottentomatoes w00t

Post by Sineadrepresent »

Necrometer wrote: Even if this gets outstanding reviews, I will not be surprised if it "underperforms" (especially in USA) because it looks so fruity.
hahahha

USA: Queerin' don't make our megaplex go 'round
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR - 100% on rottentomatoes w00t

Post by riley-o »

Sineadrepresent wrote:
Necrometer wrote:Even if this gets outstanding reviews, I will not be surprised if it "underperforms" (especially in USA) because it looks so fruity.
hahahha

USA: Queerin' don't make our megaplex go 'round
ULLLLTIMATE states of america
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Deez Nutz
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by Deez Nutz »

Dr Yail Bloor
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Dr Yail Bloor »

Deez Nutz wrote:Roger Ebert - Four Stars.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... /912119998
jesus it sounds good, bring on 3d digi imax next saturday!!
\m/Johnny\m/ wrote:
I guess there's crippling, life shattering levels of alcoholism, and then there's Lemmy.
valgalder
Wandering Johnny!

Post by valgalder »

3/5 stars - calling for a "cheesy plot":
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... _back.html
Skyclun wrote: Explain to me how I'm dumb for not knowing how PayPal works.
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

I usually like roger ebert's reviews but that review read like a list of shitty cliches that he purposely ignored because its an anti-war movie with 300 million dollars worth of CGI.
Roger Ebert wrote:I've complained that many recent films abandon story telling in their third acts and go for wall-to-wall action. Cameron essentially does that here, but...
Sineadrepresent
Face of Collapse

DeadWalrus wrote:I usually like roger ebert's reviews but that review read like a list of shitty cliches that he purposely ignored because its an anti-war movie with 300 million dollars worth of CGI.
Roger Ebert wrote:I've complained that many recent films abandon story telling in their third acts and go for wall-to-wall action. Cameron essentially does that here, but...
That's how almost every review has read so far. It's just been excuse after excuse, it almost seems like nobody wants to be the first one to go "Y'know, as a film and not a spectacle this was actually pretty mediocre" which to me would read as a 2/4 review. Everyone is saying that in so many words and then giving it full marks.

I really hope that this is amazing, I like nothing more than eating my words when something ends up greatly exceeding my expectations, but with each passing pithy review I'm getting a bit more irritated by this whole deal.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Sineadrepresent wrote:That's how almost every review has read so far. It's just been excuse after excuse, it almost seems like nobody wants to be the first one to go "Y'know, as a film and not a spectacle this was actually pretty mediocre" which to me would read as a 2/4 review. Everyone is saying that in so many words and then giving it full marks.
It's all about expectations. It's pretty clearly nowhere close to a perfect film. If you want to see some cool, fantasyland stuff, go! If not, don't. Easy!

I think the full marks are because it has done a lot of things no other film has done, which allows them to overlook the shortcomings. Also, the movie apparently did what it set out to do: create another world you can buy into without Lucas'ing. And I really, really don't think this is going to feel like the new trilogy.
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

TheDOAD wrote:We always go see a movie with the family on christmas day. I will Kill my family if they dont agree to go see it. Dad doesnt usually go but I think I can talk him into it for the 3D, Only thing that sucks is the Imax is like 30 mins away, which is fine. But they dont do online ticketing. I think Ill drive down there with mom on my own to get the tix beforehand.
Seeing a movie on x-mas is awesome. Year before last was AVP2, last year was Valkyrie. Going to try to see something that doesn't suck this year and check out Sherlock Homes.
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

Necrometer wrote:It's all about expectations. It's pretty clearly nowhere close to a perfect film. If you want to see some cool, fantasyland stuff, go! If not, don't. Easy!
of course. I'm not gonna go see this and fold my arms and harumph in the theater but it would be kind of cool if people treated sci-fi films the way that writers treat sci-fi novels, as stories first and pew pew lazerz second. And this story sounds about as hamfisted as it gets without giving Sean Penn producer credits.
Sineadrepresent
Face of Collapse

Necrometer wrote:
Sineadrepresent wrote:That's how almost every review has read so far. It's just been excuse after excuse, it almost seems like nobody wants to be the first one to go "Y'know, as a film and not a spectacle this was actually pretty mediocre" which to me would read as a 2/4 review. Everyone is saying that in so many words and then giving it full marks.
It's all about expectations. It's pretty clearly nowhere close to a perfect film. If you want to see some cool, fantasyland stuff, go! If not, don't. Easy!

I think the full marks are because it has done a lot of things no other film has done, which allows them to overlook the shortcomings. Also, the movie apparently did what it set out to do: create another world you can buy into without Lucas'ing. And I really, really don't think this is going to feel like the new trilogy.
And like I said in the latter half of my last post, if my suspicions end up being crushed under awesome I'll be psyched. I honestly blank out pretty hard just prior to curtain to give a picture it's proper due, this will be no exception, I will leave my baggage at the door and am hoping to leave it there on my way out too. As it stands right now, if I didn't know it was a James Cameron movie I would have assumed that it was George Lucas trying to make something for more mature audiences.

When all the buzz started to surface it was like a really great chef had just come out of hiding after years of toiling over some amazing new dish, boasting about how it was going to change how you eat. The trailer was like finding out that he had gone completely batshit and had actually just brought a big cheese wheel with him and nothing else, and then when you look at him apprehensively his only response is "Oh, I know what it looks like, but it was REALLY expensive to make".

This cheese-wheel had better be something special.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

DeadWalrus wrote:I'm not gonna go see this and fold my arms and harumph in the theater but it would be kind of cool if people treated sci-fi films the way that writers treat sci-fi novels, as stories first and pew pew lazerz second. And this story sounds about as hamfisted as it gets without giving Sean Penn producer credits.
i appreciate these sentiments in a significant way and feel that they are part of a rare but vital goodness in the world
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

For those looking for an excuse to not go, here is the review for you: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/articles/1860317/

Excellent post, Sinead. I totally got that :confused: feeling when the fatty disc was wheeled out. But yeah I got to sample a wedge of it (instead of just a toothpick'd cube) and it does what it needs to do. It's no brie, more like a non-offensive swiss with types of holes you didn't know where possible.

Riley and DW... I agree with your ideals but when they're put into practice we get sodomized with trash like the insanely overhyped "Moon". I have completely given up on the idea of Avatar as sci-fi - it's a fantasy adventure all the way.
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

Necrometer wrote: Riley and DW... I agree with your ideals but when they're put into practice we get sodomized with trash like the insanely overhyped "Moon". I have completely given up on the idea of Avatar as sci-fi - it's a fantasy adventure all the way.
Yeah, but so is every other "sci-fi" Cameron has made (T2, Aliens, The Abyss etc.) so I really don't mind. I like hard sci-fi myself, but I've come to terms with the fact that Hollywood just doesn't do much of that. For every 12 Monkeys or Primer, there are 20 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallenses.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

if you are bored and want a cheap laugh, go to the comments for negative reviews for Avatar on rotten tomatoes. it's a mess of screaming children hammering their keyboards in red-faced rage.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

I figured I'd re-post this about choosing 3D tech: I would super-highly recommend going with Dolby 3D, which uses a "color wheel" system instead of polarized light which is used by RealD and most IMAX systems. The polarized system is widespread because the glasses are cheap enough to be disposable, but it has the drawbacks of ghosting artifacts for things that are extremely bright & near and an overall dimming of the picture. The Dolby 3D / color wheel system is not subject to either of these problems. You can use the link below to find non-IMAX theaters that use this tech, but I still haven't found a way to locate digital IMAX theaters that use it (IMAX always has to use some 3rd-party 3D tech). If the theater has non-disposable/reused glasses that have slightly green/red tinted lenses, then you're in good shape.
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/product/m ... inema.html

Would you like to know more?
http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/revie ... art-One/p6

MANTIS wrote:
Necrometer wrote:Riley and DW... I agree with your ideals but when they're put into practice we get sodomized with trash like the insanely overhyped "Moon". I have completely given up on the idea of Avatar as sci-fi - it's a fantasy adventure all the way.
Yeah, but so is every other "sci-fi" Cameron has made (T2, Aliens, The Abyss etc.) so I really don't mind. I like hard sci-fi myself, but I've come to terms with the fact that Hollywood just doesn't do much of that. For every 12 Monkeys or Primer, there are 20 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallenses.
Wait a sec... I think Avatar is fantasy in that it has elves, dragons, a behemoth, and from all accounts it seems to take place in a time of magic. T2/Aliens/Abyss are action/sci-fi... this one is certainly further out-of-bounds of the sci-fi aesthetic. But we both know this. Semantics. Arguments. Science.
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

the material that the one dimensional evil corporation wants to murder the peaceful natives for is called "unobtainium". this is the level of thought that went into the script.
Dr Yail Bloor
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Dr Yail Bloor »

DeadWalrus wrote:the material that the one dimensional evil corporation wants to murder the peaceful natives for is called "unobtainium". this is the level of thought that went into the script.
wasnt that just a joke on the empire website??
\m/Johnny\m/ wrote:
I guess there's crippling, life shattering levels of alcoholism, and then there's Lemmy.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Dr Yail Bloor wrote:
DeadWalrus wrote:the material that the one dimensional evil corporation wants to murder the peaceful natives for is called "unobtainium". this is the level of thought that went into the script.
wasnt that just a joke on the empire website??
Unobtanium started as a joke term in the movie's world but gained wide acceptance. This is an existing term in our world invented by engineers. It's not unreasonable that it'd be used IMO. Same term was used in POS movie The Core to describe metal that becomes stronger as you heat it.

From the scriptment i.e. the first post of this thread:
Pandora is
blessed with a naturally occurring substance a million
times more precious than gold. Its joke name of
"unobtanium" has stuck, over the years. Unobtanium is a
rare-earth mineral, formed volcanically, which is a roomtemperature
superconductor.
The room temperature superconductor has been the "snark"
of modern materials science... a substance which transmits
electricity with zero resistance, but at normal
temperatures, rather than the liquid-helium cooled
superconductors of human science.