The Dark Souls Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Jerrod
git help.

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by Jerrod »

spacehamster wrote:Dafuq, seriously... also, did you guys know about these creatures that apparently sometimes appear in spots where another player has died and lost a lot of humanity all at once?
I've seen two. A red one by the bonfire in the Dukes Archives, and another (white one, I believe) down in New Londo after the first little bridge. Both times it was a huge surprise, and from a distance looked like I was being invaded.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Jerrod wrote: I've seen two. A red one by the bonfire in the Dukes Archives, and another (white one, I believe) down in New Londo after the first little bridge. Both times it was a huge surprise, and from a distance looked like I was being invaded.
Weird. Those aren't exactly common PVP spots, at least that I'm aware of. Sounds like poor bastards walking in there with a ton of humanity saved up and probably losing it in a stupid way and then shouting at the screen a lot.

Haw haw.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Jerrod
git help.

Post by Jerrod »

spacehamster wrote:
Jerrod wrote: I've seen two. A red one by the bonfire in the Dukes Archives, and another (white one, I believe) down in New Londo after the first little bridge. Both times it was a huge surprise, and from a distance looked like I was being invaded.
Weird. Those aren't exactly common PVP spots, at least that I'm aware of. Sounds like poor bastards walking in there with a ton of humanity saved up and probably losing it in a stupid way and then shouting at the screen a lot.

Haw haw.
There's a lot of PVP at the bonfire in Dukes Archives. Is ground shipping really that bad in Schweiz that you didn't get express shipping on DSII?
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Jerrod wrote: There's a lot of PVP at the bonfire in Dukes Archives.
Outside or inside? Inside seems like a bad spot with all the goblins and channelers you have to clear out first, but what do I know, I don't play much PVP.
Is ground shipping really that bad in Schweiz that you didn't get express shipping on DSII?
The thing is that the post office here is excellent, and UPS is a fucking pain in the ass by comparison. And when Amazon sends things express, they use UPS. I'd rather wait another few days and not have to deal with UPS. Yes, they're that bad. I could write out an 800-word rant about how much I despise UPS, but I'll spare you.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Jerrod
git help.

Post by Jerrod »

spacehamster wrote:
Jerrod wrote: There's a lot of PVP at the bonfire in Dukes Archives.
Outside or inside? Inside seems like a bad spot with all the goblins and channelers you have to clear out first, but what do I know, I don't play much PVP.
Is ground shipping really that bad in Schweiz that you didn't get express shipping on DSII?
The thing is that the post office here is excellent, and UPS is a fucking pain in the ass by comparison. And when Amazon sends things express, they use UPS. I'd rather wait another few days and not have to deal with UPS. Yes, they're that bad. I could write out an 800-word rant about how much I despise UPS, but I'll spare you.
Inside. I tend to hang by the bonfire and drop a white summon sign while in human form, and get invaded quite a bit. I always make them come to me, though. Fuck trying to find them in that maze of stairs and balconies. Sucks about UPS out there. My wife is pretty fond of Amazon prime, and we get things delivered by them (on time) A LOT. I think they've been late once.
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

Wang Mandu wrote:84 is okay for the DLC. Are you fast rolling or tanking? All the bosses hit hard and fast so for me either a high stability shield or fast rolling saved me more than once. Watch out for one of the bonfires, it's a hotspot for invasions and co-op.
Fast rolling. Finding it a bit harder than my first character which was pure tank. Tried farming the darkwraiths for titanite slabs to max my wanderer set but after two hours I only ended up with one.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Comrade Slinky wrote:
Wang Mandu wrote:84 is okay for the DLC. Are you fast rolling or tanking? All the bosses hit hard and fast so for me either a high stability shield or fast rolling saved me more than once. Watch out for one of the bonfires, it's a hotspot for invasions and co-op.
Fast rolling. Finding it a bit harder than my first character which was pure tank. Tried farming the darkwraiths for titanite slabs to max my wanderer set but after two hours I only ended up with one.
There's another titty slab in the DLC, but FWIW, I don't think maxing out armor is worth spending slabs on, given how rare they are. All the other forms of titanite can be farmed easily, so just use that up if you must, but especially for fast-rolling play, what little damage the armor absorbs is negligible anyway, even if you max it out. Focus on damage output.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

You should only spend the slabs on weapons really. Armor/shields can go up to +14 and be just as useful as +15. A lot of weapon scaling doesn't hit A until +15 though, so it's worth it. Wear the gold covetous serpent ring for better chance of drops when farming. Use the mimic head as well, if you have it, and the giant fucking thing doesn't mess with your view too badly.

And to address the Silver Pendant comment: It works very well against Manus, and the bloathead mage, especially when you get down in the abyss and you can't see them, but they see you. Just time it right and wait for them to actually start the cast animation. Hit it a few times and look for the golden haze that surrounds you, because that's the shit deflecting. You can spam the shit out of it and it's almost continuous. It's pretty invaluable in PvP against Dark Bead and Pursuer spammers. I never got very proficient at rolling through those two, and when they hit they tard your ass up.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

who here figured out how to use the pendant against Manus' magic attacks without any outside help?

not only did I not know to do that, I somehow missed the pendant in the first place. I probably fought Manus 15 times before looking up some tips. beat him my second try with the pendant, but my memory of the end of the DLC is mostly just rage.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

I thought thw silver pendant was like the Old Witchs ring or the starting pendant gift....somewhat worthless.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i just housed the stray demon in ng+ with chaos blade in tear stone range? :|
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
Double Anal
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Double Anal »

Don't know if this has been found out before but I'm on my 3rd playthrough and I got to the woman who sells the moss near the Firelink shrine. She sells one humanity usually but this time around I was able to buy 67 cuz I had 67000 souls. Went to try it again and it doesn't work. Check it out it's pretty easy to do, you have to do it first try cuz if you don't when you try again it wont work.
neckbeard wrote:It depends on poop and sweat
Cascade Whore
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Location: A sterilized but unpressed gift from a nose-holding charity which passes out clothing to slum drunks

Post by Cascade Whore »

Double Anal wrote:Don't know if this has been found out before but I'm on my 3rd playthrough and I got to the woman who sells the moss near the Firelink shrine. She sells one humanity usually but this time around I was able to buy 67 cuz I had 67000 souls. Went to try it again and it doesn't work. Check it out it's pretty easy to do, you have to do it first try cuz if you don't when you try again it wont work.
Are you still pounding on that red head's kidshitter while squirtin' lime in your water?
Wank night's cancelled
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Wang Mandu wrote:I thought thw silver pendant was like the Old Witchs ring or the starting pendant gift....somewhat worthless.
It's one of those mysterious items that appears worthless but provides a decent service against certain things. There's still speculation as to its lore background, but I read an interview a while back where the devs basically put it in the game after they realized that black magic was op, especially in pvp. Instead of tweaking the magic they put in a defense for players. Crown of dusk and a catalyst on an invader = quickswap to black pendant. Once you block 1-2 of their dark magic assaults they usually start cycling through to something normal, which is when you move in an backstab their punk ass.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDK4-MPPDtM<
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Been playing Demon's Souls the past couple of days, trying to stay human for the majority of it. Been invaded at least 3 times, and lost all 3 times. It's... different than I'm used to, but I think I'll be okay. No lag is pretty fucking sweet, and if DS2 handles online shit like DeS then I'm going to be a very happy man come the 11th.

And the oppression in DeS makes DS look like a fucking Disney game. Bosses are too easy, but the regulars and their surroundings are brutal. Wish I had started this replay last month instead of waiting until now.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

a world of no wrote: And the oppression in DeS makes DS look like a fucking Disney game. Bosses are too easy, but the regulars and their surroundings are brutal. Wish I had started this replay last month instead of waiting until now.
I think that was one of my initial problems with DkS and why some people are under the mistaken impression that it's easier. It's just more... inviting, initially. DeS has parts that are specifically designed to make you feel great about what you've just accomplished only to then kick you in the teeth, like basically all of 1-2. Not that DkS holds your hand or anything, it just doesn't constantly give you the finger.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Got some goofing around time in last night. Thought I'd just grind to get my stamina up since I'm rocking the Dark Knight's shield and I'm pretty sure my dude isn't moving as fast now. Anyhow, I also hooked myself up with the Fire Orb. Kaboom! I like it! I also just figured out that Dex increases magic gun slinging speed. No wonder I was able to suddenly defeat that first Black Knight with Fireball after I upgraded DEX two weeks back.

Before I waste more souls, talk to me about shields. Does DEX or STR do anything for them? I don't care about attack rating, I just want to be able to block massive blows without getting knocked back or losing too much stamina. Talk to me.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Pisscubes wrote:
Has anyone beat this game as a straight up magic user? What the fuck do you to survive? If casting spells takes as long as pyromancy, I assume you're getting your own ass force fed to you on a minutely basis. How does one approach this game as someone whose primary power is magic? I can't imagine it without a heavy dose of melee.
I've gotten pretty good with Fireball and Orb. I think I bought Combustion (I bought something) but haven't tried it out (I need more Attunement spots). Any way, I need room to maneuver with them. If a monster is up close or I'm in a tight spot, though, no way.

I also suppose if you know the game forwards and backwards you could do it well enough. Like Mass Effect. I know the games well enough that when I eventually play through all three again I'm going to be a fancy pants space wizard. I'm always the warrior, never ever the magician.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

thought i was on a pretty good pace to 100% this game but i decided to look at the list of miracles i still need. and apparently seath/priscilla's tails are req. for the rare weapon one too, huh..

:cry:

I have 8 children.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

serious respect to anyone who has done this already. truly :lol:

I have 8 children.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

The DLC worth it? I mean really, not just as something to expand or give you more of something you like, but do you feel it's something that could/should have been part of the initial release?

Also, answer my damn shield question already!!? pretty please
Jerrod
git help.

Post by Jerrod »

The Bill wrote:The DLC worth it? I mean really, not just as something to expand or give you more of something you like, but do you feel it's something that could/should have been part of the initial release?

Also, answer my damn shield question already!!? pretty please
Yes.

Edit: You want a shield with a high stability rating, and upgrading to +5 can help you achieve that in most cases. I use a +5 silver knight shield most of the time, but if I need a high fire defense, or a high magic defense, will use +5 black knight or +5 crest shields, respectively. Also, don't just toss points into your character willy-nilly. You should pick 3 stats you want to excel in, and stick with those. The character I'm using now is dex based, so I only level my dex, vit, and end. Had to put a single point into attunement, and a few more to get my str to 16 so I can use some weapons, but that's it.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote:The DLC worth it? I mean really, not just as something to expand or give you more of something you like, but do you feel it's something that could/should have been part of the initial release?
I already ranted and raved about how much I like it earlier, but I'll say it again - yes, absolutely. I don't know if I would say it should have been in the game from the start, though, it's really more a small expansion that really makes sense, and it's not just more of the same - you get three new areas, four new (excellent) boss fights, a new type of magic and pyromancy, and everything is populated with new creatures. Some of the environments and new critters are based off of stuff that's already in the game, but they're not just re-skins with more damage output, they have new attack patterns and look different, they're just reminiscent of other creatures.

You don't want to play it until you've advanced pretty far in the main game and leveled up quite a bit, though, it's pretty damn hard.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Pisscubes wrote:Has anyone beat this game as a straight up magic user? What the fuck do you to survive? If casting spells takes as long as pyromancy, I assume you're getting your own ass force fed to you on a minutely basis. How does one approach this game as someone whose primary power is magic? I can't imagine it without a heavy dose of melee.
It's generally considered within the "community" that magic in PvE is overpowered, but in PvP not so much. Basically you can cheese the shit out of the game itself using magic and beat it easily as a pure magic caster. In PvP it's not so good, as anyone that's familiar can easily dodge and counter it. It's all pretty much at range anyways, so once you have that down you're just fucking all kinds of shit up. Melee requires a bit more risk and overall skill that opens you up for shit that will dark souls you time and again.

As for the DLC... it's definitely worth it. It adds a lot, and though the game won't necessarily feel incomplete to you without it, you'll wonder why you considered skipping it once you play through it all.

EDIT: Shield question. Stability is important, and the silver knight shield probably gives the best stability for parry type shields. Stability is what prevents you from getting stunlocked from spammers, which opens you up to getting fucked. If you want just bashing tower shields then havel's or artorias shields are great for tanking. I use the grass chest shield on all of my builds because of the stamina regen power, and it works pretty well overall. Buckler for best parrying; crest shield for magic defense, and the bloodshield against katana/gold tracer spammers, and if i'm using the lifehunt scythe.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

DLC purchased and installed. Based on a random memory of a random remark, I should wait until right before I fight some one named Sif to play this?

For no other reason other than I promised my boy, the first thing I'm doing when I play tonight is kill that damn Red Dragon. I've been avoiding it since the Drake Sword incident. I'm thinking I'll just spam him with arrows from under the bridge, but if he wises up and wants to go, I'm going to get it done. Been listening to this to get me ready.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6BQKFs3-VM<