The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by doomeddisciple »

Fistfull of Boomstick wasn't great
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

doomeddisciple wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:01 pm Fistfull of Boomstick wasn't great
Evil Dead: Fistfull of Boomstick seems to indeed be not great. I'd dare to venture it was originally suppose to be a PS1 game. Still when I get to it I think I'll try to get through it till the monotony kills me. On the other hand, Evil Dead Regeneration seems pretty damn cool. Now I want to play these stupid games. That's the problem when you learn how to emulate a console then have access to all these games off the internet. Greed overload. I want all the games. I remember when I first discovered MAME. Holy shit! Now that I think about it, about the same time I discovered MAME is when I lost a lot of interest in the PS2/XBOX (except the sports/WWE games).

I did my refresher of Soldier of Fortune. I've beaten it back in the day several times. Fine as a distraction yesterday, but time to move on to my real objective of playing these FPSers that I never played. I should play worse graphics to best so I think Urban Chaos is up first at bat.
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

was fistfull of boomstick the one where you had the little guy you could kick over walls and shit? i liked that one. it wasnt great, but it was neat
formerly ghost boner
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

ghost boner wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:37 pm was fistfull of boomstick the one where you had the little guy you could kick over walls and shit? i liked that one. it wasnt great, but it was neat
There's a little guy on the cover of Regeneration. Broomstick doesn't look like it will have any wall kicking or anything outside of hitting 1000 guys with a shovel.

Newest Nvidia drivers broke the Dolphin's Vulcan support. Luckily, it uses Direct3D 12 better than the AAA titles & now it runs even better than ever. The boy is playing Kirby Return to Dreamland & I find it amusing that a Wii game now looks better than a lot of PS4 games.
RY4N
Unquestionable Presence

Post by RY4N »

I remember fist full of boomstick being released for only 25 dollars.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

RY4N wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:04 pm I remember fist full of boomstick being released for only 25 dollars.
I remember a rival to Madden football (ESPN?) did the same thing and it was superior to Madden, to boot. Bless the old original XBOX days. Now they sell "remasters" of games only released a few years prior at full retail price.
RY4N
Unquestionable Presence

Post by RY4N »

The Bill wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:25 am
I remember a rival to Madden football
it was probably blitz
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

RY4N wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:23 am
The Bill wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:25 am
I remember a rival to Madden football
it was probably blitz
Blitz was too much like NBA Jams. It was this:

It was so goddamn good, and then EA bought out the exclusive rights to the NFL and killed the series.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I'm back at it in Horizon. I dunno, it just kind of feels like exactly what I need right now. As much as I liked Mass Effect Andromeda, it's nice to play something this polished now where everything is sort of a predictable bite-sized time investment and you can just play it for an hour or two and then drop it again. And honestly, for an open world game, this thing is amazingly polished. I really haven't run into any bugs at all so far. Nothing. Everything works.

I'm also starting to figure out some of the finer points of the combat and the different weapons, and once you figure out how to take down some of the bigger machines instead of just sneaking by everything, it gets a lot more fun. I accidentally walked into the cauldron that's supposed to be the last one (I was the right level, I just kinda missed all the others, I guess) yesterday, and once you've fought one of those t-rex things in the tight space of a cauldron, everything else seems kind of easy by comparison. It's pretty cool. Story's pointing more and more towards incredibly standard fare "technological singularity" shit, though, which is disappointing.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

It finally feels like spring in New York, and today is the first Friday in a month that I'm able to get back to my thing.

I haven't started Urban Chaos yet, instead I've been trying to perfect the XBOX1 controller to work with Super Paper Mario and Kirby's Epic Yarn at the kids' request. What a pain in the ass that all was. Problem being both games require you to flip the Wii remote from standard sideways to pointer position. But I did it, you bastards. This does open up the option of Metriod: Other M, which I still remember James recommend I play. Perhaps even Metriod Prime 3, but I hear that it's super awkward with the XBOX controller no matter what.

I'm actually of the mood to continue Mass Effect today. That's good. Maybe I can do ME on Fridays and PS2 other days.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

The Bill wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:17 amA lot of us have been feeling this way. I still say it's a combination of season changes with the overabundance of open world games from the first half of the year. It's a huge reason why I suddenly want to play old FPSers. Speaking of, Urban Chaos is not ready for emulation and Cold Winter has severe shadow glitches so...
Burnout is rough. Gonna fire up Nioh tonight though because I never finished it and DLC is dropping on Tuesday I think. I've got an entire week off with nothing to do so maybe I'll just be a slob and try to finish up a few games.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

What a goddamn waste of time Friday was (Mass Effect A). I have no idea where to go on the frozen planet for the main objective and ended up unintentionally doing a bunch of side quests. That annoyed me. There's nothing in the journal.

I ended up playing Red Faction and I was having a blast. Regardless, I'm going to start Urban Chaos proper today or tomorrow. I didn't realize it's made by the Batman Arkham people. Expectations suddenly raised.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

finished endings C/D/E in Nier last night... i'm sad it's done :( i might use chapter select to do a few more side quests, but i've seen most of them already.

i'm curious how many people just do one playthrough and assume they've basically gotten the point of the game. playthrough B changed the meaning of the game a lot, but playthrough C just obliterated it. anyone who doesn't see those endings may as well not have even played the game.

and the secret/E ending with the credits game... and the way the music changes when you get someone to help you..... ajsfkljasldfj :mastoman: . i felt like a dick not accepting the offer, but i want to be able to play some of those late-game missions again some day.

GAME OF THE YEAR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Spooky Apparition wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 11:33 am finished endings C/D/E in Nier last night... i'm sad it's done :( i might use chapter select to do a few more side quests, but i've seen most of them already.

i'm curious how many people just do one playthrough and assume they've basically gotten the point of the game. playthrough B changed the meaning of the game a lot, but playthrough C just obliterated it. anyone who doesn't see those endings may as well not have even played the game.

and the secret/E ending with the credits game... and the way the music changes when you get someone to help you..... ajsfkljasldfj :mastoman: . i felt like a dick not accepting the offer, but i want to be able to play some of those late-game missions again some day.

GAME OF THE YEAR
It was on sale, so I just rebought it for the PS4 due to some PC port issues I had. Also got the DLC because I'm an asshole.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Don't make me buy Nier :lol. Bill do you suggest PC or PS4 if I get Nier later. I'm getting tired of downloading fan fixes for full price games these days. :/
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I'll let you know. I seems the PC version as had like 8 official patches since I finished & deleted it. I'm redownloading as I type this. PS4 version does run better & has better textures compared to the last time I played. PC had better aliasing & less glitchy shadows. Biggest problem was audio constantly cutting out. PS4 does not have that what so ever, and that's why I now own two copies.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Okay, here's the deal. Nier was made to max out at 1080p. At this the PC runs like greased lightning. Raise the resolution and the performance hits hard & there's only slight visual improvement. I run it at 1440p and I think it looks better. 4K just doesn't happen if you want 60fps & you want 60fps in this game. I have antialiasing maxed so the picture is clearer & sharper than the PS4. I might be crazy but I swear the PS4 has better textures & lighting. Audio seems to be fixed on the PC, but I still had to add the unofficial patch to get the game smooth at my resolution.

Verdict: if you don't mind dealing with an unofficial patch & possibly add a Sweetfx* to pretty up the hell out of it, go PC. If you don't want to deal with all that & like the vanilla look of the game get the PS4. I may explore the DLC on my PC, but my next replay is probably on the PS4 and I think I will replay in a year or twos time.

*Just took a look and one of the newer SweetFX presets is damn god looking, crushes the PS4 version.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

You're the best, TheBill. Much appreciated. :tup: I'd be running it at 1440p on PC but lower textures and lighting is a huge turn-off. I'll probably go with whichever one is cheaper in the next few months before Destiny 2 hits.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Wang Mandu wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 12:11 am You're the best, TheBill. Much appreciated. :tup: I'd be running it at 1440p on PC but lower textures and lighting is a huge turn-off. I'll probably go with whichever one is cheaper in the next few months before Destiny 2 hits.
I can now attest to that Sweetfx preset making the PC version superior. It sharpens the textures, has fancy little lighting effects, and adds a depth of field that really makes it pop.

The DLC is really not worth it. The arena fights are fine, but I essentially paid 10 bucks so I can change 2B's hair color. What I also bought was the original Nier for PS3 because I need more of this universe and a few YouTube reviews show me it's a lot like Automata.

I started Urban Choas, and despite graphics age and sluggish controls it's pretty damn good. It's also outside the box a bit, which is the problem. I want some old school early 2K FPSing madness. So, I'm going to put this on hold and save it for when I need a break from the formula. Maybe after two other games I'll come back. So, I guess Cold Winter is up.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

Wang Mandu wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 12:11 am You're the best, TheBill. Much appreciated. :tup: I'd be running it at 1440p on PC but lower textures and lighting is a huge turn-off. I'll probably go with whichever one is cheaper in the next few months before Destiny 2 hits.
Looks like it's on sale for like $40 if you have PS Plus.

Bill, thanks for the heads-up on the DLC... I considered getting it, but that definitely doesn't sound worth it. as cool as a boss fight against the CEO might be :lol:
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I've finally figured out the great Nvidia/Creator's color debacle. And it is totally fucking Microsoft's fault. Used to be that I could run the PC into the TV with HDR at 4K without a problem. Now, it's a shit show. In order to run HDR I have to turn off Nvidia's profile and use the default which switches to absolute shit colors and terrible fonts. Luckily, this does not carry over into Resident Evil 7. As for Mass Effect, HDR completely washes out the picture. Using Nvidia's RBG setting Windows turns off its HDR and Resident Evil 7 refuses to turn it back on. Here's where it gets weird. Mass Effect with HDR turned off looks like it's has HDR turned on. These are some bodacious lights and colors that look identical to any screen captures or footage I've seen. The fuck is happening? So, I own 3 games that supposedly use HDR, two of which I'm done with. Oh, the Nvidia setting, which is the only one that uses full dynamic range murders the other setting in terms of overall visual greatness. This is a complete fuck up, and I've seen other people on the internet with this problem. I had to go into color calibration and redo windows and my TV from scratch to finally get a proper blend of colors, whites, and blacks that don't over power the other and looks good. On a good note, blacks are really nice now. They used to have a crushed look to them, which I always blamed on my TV's back lighting. It's gone now.

This game is like System Shock meets Bioshock meets Half-Life meets Dead Space, they says. Take my money I say. Bought Prey last night. Mass Effect is kind of irritating me, and Cold Winter isn't going anywhere. Time for another audible. Will Prey tonight, pray I like it, or more inane ramblings about PS2 games coming your way.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Spooky Apparition wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 9:13 am Looks like it's on sale for like $40 if you have PS Plus.

Bill, thanks for the heads-up on the DLC... I considered getting it, but that definitely doesn't sound worth it. as cool as a boss fight against the CEO might be :lol:
I'm waiting for the $20 price range for this, The Surge and Prey.

I've been playing quite a lot of Nioh this week and I'm finally nearing the end game. I think there's quite a few sub-missions left and a sizable chunk of DLC that just released.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

It seems a bunch of Ecco friendly settings were magically switched on my Samsung. Turning that off has saved me from all sorts of rage induced stress as to why the PC's brightness and colors were fluctuating.

I thought I had Mass effect running with HDR, and I was showing it off to my Zelda playing son, when we discovered it was actually off. :confused: I swear it's turned on when I turn it off. If not then whatever this games does, does it great, or my PC/TV are fudging it somehow. Anyhow, I ended up sticking with it and finally complete a main objective. I accidentally flirted with a man because he was boring the shit out of me and I clicked the thing while mashing the skip button. I didn't like it.

Downloaded Prey but never got past the male/female selection screen. I guess your characters are Asian and when the boy saw that he started telling me about an Asian kid in school that likes to take out his dick in the boy's bathroom. Apparently, it's so small he has to straddle the toilet in order to get his piss to clear the rim. I turned off the game soon after.

Environmental friendly tech, flirting with men, and talking about small dicks... this is not how I wanted Friday to go.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

The Surge is looking kind of cool but I'll wait for reviews. $38 at release is tempting though.

Prey is actually good? Seems like a lot of people are enjoying it.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Fuck yeah. This game should be INSANE at 60fps and above. Sega coming through with all these late ports. This news makes me happy since I found out my now ex-gf is a lying cunt! :D :lol: