Latest movie you watched (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
featherboa
The 7000 Club

Re: Latest movie you watched (1-10 scale)

Post by featherboa »

Fellowship of the Reing - 10
Image Certified Poster
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

what are you some anti-bombadilian?
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Earth VS the Flying Saucers (1956) - 6.5/10
Pleasently old-fashioned invasion film. Lots of nice SFX done by Ray Harryhausen.

Hell Comes to Frogtown - 6.5/10
Buck wild postapocalyptic low-budget farce starring Rowdy Roddy Piper.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
featherboa
The 7000 Club

Post by featherboa »

Geeheeb wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:28 am what are you some anti-bombadilian?
i used to be mad about these movies but i came around after 20 years
Image Certified Poster
Eight Bit Alien
need...miss...want...

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

Whee of the Dead wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:20 am my gf got me The Terminator novelization for Xmas and I'm pretty excited to read it.

@Eight Bit Alien - did you ever read the making of Terminator? Apparently Cameron originally wanted it to be revealed at the end that it was actually Skynet that sent Kyle Reese back in time. It had grown a conscience and developed guilt for destroying humanity that it needed to set the stage for it's own abortion. Which sounds like it would've been a better post TS movie than what we got.
No I wasn't aware of any of that. Do you mean that was the original script for T1??

I wonder if that got folded into the T800's story in T2
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
ThePhillyExperiment
ultimate EVIL

Post by ThePhillyExperiment »

THE KILL wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:46 am
I'm proud to say I own that VHS.
brobot wrote: "Some guy asked me if I was a robot...like a Relapse robot? I have no idea what he was talking about."
GLEN BENTON wrote: ONLY THING IS I LOOK AT THE GIRLS AT THE MOVIES, AND THERE BETWEEN 10 AND 14!
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

ThePhillyExperiment wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:39 pm
THE KILL wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:46 am
I'm proud to say I own that VHS.
It's insane the kind of obscure stuff they give a remaster to and a rerelease on bluray nowadays, but this film absolutely belongs on VHS.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

the creator - 6

kinda pretty and design-y but mediocre until the end when the performances come together. way too fucking long though my god
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

I have 8 children.
Eight Bit Alien
need...miss...want...

Don't do that
Don't give me hope
MPD
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Post by MPD »

The Disappearance of Shere Hite - 10
Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

Post by Whee of the Dead »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:36 am
Whee of the Dead wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:20 am my gf got me The Terminator novelization for Xmas and I'm pretty excited to read it.

@Eight Bit Alien - did you ever read the making of Terminator? Apparently Cameron originally wanted it to be revealed at the end that it was actually Skynet that sent Kyle Reese back in time. It had grown a conscience and developed guilt for destroying humanity that it needed to set the stage for it's own abortion. Which sounds like it would've been a better post TS movie than what we got.
No I wasn't aware of any of that. Do you mean that was the original script for T1??

I wonder if that got folded into the T800's story in T2
I think it was. I know Cameron said it was just too much story. It would've worked in T2 I feel because the first half of that movie is just a somewhat regurgitated version of part 1. I also liked the scrapped idea of having Michael Biehn play the T1000 cuz Skynet designed it as an easier way to reach Sarah Connor.

I need to rewatch part 1. It's such a fucking rage.
cranial separation

SEX WITH HER SEVERED HEAD
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

modern times - 10/10
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

saltburn 6/10 but I’m open to it being better for some reason I’m missing

rear window 9/10 I’d never seen this and was floored by how good it was. obsessed with that set! i was distracted by jimmy stewart’s accent and couldn’t buy him as a rough & tumble photojournalist, but then i learned that he talks funny because he’s from the ohio valley / pittsburgh area (!) and he’s actually a brave guy who went to fly in WWII *after* he was already a movie star (!!!) - so i guess he’s not such a dandy.

disturbia 4/10 i thought this was a formal remake of RW but i guess they won a lawsuit saying otherwise. really embarrassing to see how wrong they got this, especially with a solid blueprint in place. my wife hated it with a passion…

batman forever 2/10 absolute horseshit aside from NK being iconic. my wife was BEAMING for like 24 hours after we watched this since she enjoyed it so much - no idea what’s wrong with her brain
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

Necrometer wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:54 pm saltburn 6/10 but I’m open to it being better for some reason I’m missing

rear window 9/10 I’d never seen this and was floored by how good it was. obsessed with that set! i was distracted by jimmy stewart’s accent and couldn’t buy him as a rough & tumble photojournalist, but then i learned that he talks funny because he’s from the ohio valley / pittsburgh area (!) and he’s actually a brave guy who went to fly in WWII *after* he was already a movie star (!!!) - so i guess he’s not such a dandy.

disturbia 4/10 i thought this was a formal remake of RW but i guess they won a lawsuit saying otherwise. really embarrassing to see how wrong they got this, especially with a solid blueprint in place. my wife hated it with a passion…

batman forever 2/10 absolute horseshit aside from NK being iconic. my wife was BEAMING for like 24 hours after we watched this since she enjoyed it so much - no idea what’s wrong with her brain
I recall semi enjoying Batman Forever as the Adam West era Batman as seen through the lens of 90's high budget idiot Hollywood.

I miss Tommy Lee Jone's flamboyant psycho streak he had in the 90's as well.
cranial separation

Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

Seven Samurai (on 35mm at Austin Film Society - 10. Always perfect.
cranial separation

Eight Bit Alien
need...miss...want...

Necrometer wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:54 pm rear window 9/10 I’d never seen this and was floored by how good it was. obsessed with that set! i was distracted by jimmy stewart’s accent and couldn’t buy him as a rough & tumble photojournalist, but then i learned that he talks funny because he’s from the ohio valley / pittsburgh area (!) and he’s actually a brave guy who went to fly in WWII *after* he was already a movie star (!!!) - so i guess he’s not such a dandy.
It's so so fucking good.
Jimmy also stole a Yeti hand from Buddhist monks, and smuggled it back to America in his girls panties.
That is an absolutely 100% true story, you can look it up and not be disappointed I promise.

I went on a Jimmy Stewart binge a little while ago, I should rate them all here. Normal people made some weird fucking movies before 1970, when all the weird people started making normal movies....
Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

follow up Rear Window with De Palma's Body Double. A nice sleazoid neo-noir riff on it.
cranial separation

Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Whee of the Dead wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:11 amI recall semi enjoying Batman Forever as the Adam West era Batman as seen through the lens of 90's high budget idiot Hollywood.
that's spot on. I don't have much of a soft spot for the tv show, and the camp charm sort of evaporates when it's got that schlocky 90s aesthetic. so so so many dutch angles :x

(I just learned that "dutch" is a corruption of "Deutsch", in reference to the German filmmakers who popularized the shot. I'm still telling my kids verhoeven invented it.)
Whee of the Dead wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:08 amfollow up Rear Window with De Palma's Body Double. A nice sleazoid neo-noir riff on it.
:cheers:

IFL on that yeti hand tale :shock:
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

Stewart emerging in contrast to the boilerplate transatlantic affectation of many leading men is part of what made people connect with him. He sounded like he was from somewhere, rather than just existing in the medium itself.

You Can't Take It With You is absolutely excellent, as is Destry Rides Again (which I only watched the first time because Marlene Dietrich, but Stewart is nevertheless excellent in it)

And honestly, Vertigo might be in the same echelon as Citizen Kane and The Magnificent Ambersons? And sure that's largely on Hitchcock being an all time visionary, but Stewart makes you connect to his character as the film itself mystifies and bewilders you
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

right, I was ignorantly thinking JS "sounded like old hollywood", and conflating his accentwith the mid-atlantic phantom accent, but then I realized that - like you said - his accent must have felt like a breath of fresh, rustbelt-y air.

(even though clark gable typically used a fakey accent on screen, he and JS were both born about an hour from pittsburgh... which is so insane to me)
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i liked disturbia

I have 8 children.
Eight Bit Alien
need...miss...want...

I've been repeating lines from this for 25 years :lol:
Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

Last year I watched The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and it fucking killed. Probably my favorite John Ford flick? Clearly was the one that influenced Sergio Leone the most.

Imagine a time when you had actors with strong screen presence doing different genres and working with different heavyweights like Hitchcock and Ford.
cranial separation

FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

yeah but now we have john krasinki have you thought about him

I have 8 children.