Latest movie you watched (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Eight Bit Alien
need...miss...want...

Re: Latest movie you watched (1-10 scale)

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

Whee of the Dead wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:27 pm Last year I watched The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and it fucking killed. Probably my favorite John Ford flick? Clearly was the one that influenced Sergio Leone the most.
Jesus christ this one was good. I had honestly never heard of it, and got blindsided by it.

They just don't make shit like that anymore.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
Eight Bit Alien
need...miss...want...

In a certain sense, Uncut Gems kinda proves that Adam Sandler is the modern John Krasinski.
Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

Post by Whee of the Dead »

FVBTVS wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:00 pm yeah but now we have john krasinki have you thought about him
I have to considering every other dude in the world stops me in public to tell me I look just like Dwight
cranial separation

SEX WITH HER SEVERED HEAD
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

The King of Comedy ('82 | 109min) - 7/10 - It's the first time I've watched this since the Joker phenomenon and was a little surprised just how much was lifted. DeNiro doesn't exactly pull off "stand up comedian" to me, mostly due to the subsequent 40 years of acting choices since this was filmed, but he's effective. Really strange to think that the old late night talk shows commonly hosted guests who were half in the bag or otherwise sedated/stimulated.

Bloodshot ('19 | 109min) - 5.5/10 - Fargo Deputy Whitt Farr plays Wilfred Wigans - an expert hacker who helps Vin Diesel gain his freedom from a murderous bio-enhancement corporation. Elon Musk's double ex-wife, Talulah Riley (the one who messaged Musk "Please do something to fight woke-ism. I will do anything to help! xx" regarding potentially purchasing Twitter), plays a Vin-sympathizing bio-engineered assassin. Also, a Scottish actor has a really tough time doing an American accent. This movie is mystifyingly bad, but also somehow very entertaining - absolutely bizarre.
MPD
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Post by MPD »

Raging Grace - 7.25
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

ghost boner wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:53 am

decline 2: the metal years - 5/10. god damn these are some whiny fucking losers. this is only worth the watch to get pissed off and then have megadeth show you exactly what metal is supposed to be at the end
I'm watching this now. The Ozzy orange juice scene had me laughing my ass off.
samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

:putin
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
MPD

Post by MPD »

Best in Show - 8
Bringing Out the Dead - 6
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

FVBTVS wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:00 amthe creator - 6

kinda pretty and design-y but mediocre until the end when the performances come together. way too fucking long though my god
I must have absorbed your review to some degree because I had like an hour of airplane time and I decided to watch the last ~45 min of this movie (after having previously watched the intro at home and abandoning it) and I had a pretty good time. lots of things seemed extremely dumb, but hey whatever it takes to get us a movie. really reminded me of post D9-blomkamp where there are certain shots/designs that NEED TO BE SHOWN and a rough outline of a story but ultimately it's kind of a mess.
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Godzilla minus one - 9/10
hands down the best Godzilla movie. Everything comes together so well, including the OST. The destruction Godzilla causes is fucking glorious and I'm so happy I watched it at the cinema.

SPOILERS AHOI
Not a fan of the mild revisionism in the film though; it's not mentioned even once that the war the characters are traumatized by was started by Japan for imperialist reasons and there's nothing in the film about the atrocities committed by the Japanese army; the second world war is largely decontextualized. This is reinforced by the fact that Godzilla seems to be a stand-in for the US: a natural catastrophe devastating Japan without reason.
Then again, the film is totally opposed to the idea that war is an opportunity for heroism; it shows broken people that express their disgust with war very clearly. It rejects the idea that sacrificing yourself to fight an enemy by taking part in Kamikaze attacks (or by shooting the guns of an airplane at Godzilla - see first scene on Odo island) has any value at all.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

The main bad guy from Minority Report was also in Strange Brew? Plus he was in Lynches' Dune? Guy lived to be 90 yrs old. Maybe I should check out his earlier roles.
samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

cxwx wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:25 pm The main bad guy from Minority Report was also in Strange Brew? Plus he was in Lynches' Dune? Guy lived to be 90 yrs old. Maybe I should check out his earlier roles.
Max von Sydow? You only now know of Ming the Merciless? Vigo??
MPD

Post by MPD »

The Bill wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:46 pm
cxwx wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:25 pm The main bad guy from Minority Report was also in Strange Brew? Plus he was in Lynches' Dune? Guy lived to be 90 yrs old. Maybe I should check out his earlier roles.
Max von Sydow? You only now know of Ming the Merciless? Vigo??
:fonz:

Brooklyn's Finest - 6
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

Godzilla Minus Color ('23 | 124min) - 9/10 - B&W worked for me and felt true to the era, with occasional CGI shortcomings (I haven't seen this in color, so I can't compare). It's heavy on the drama to the point I could see GZ superfans being put off, but this came off as a fresh take and sentimental moments felt earned to me. I thought GZ was analogous to war in general rather than placing blame on any one country. To be fair, the US is the biggest warmonger on the planet, so I get that comparison too.

Arena ('89 | 115min) - 8/10 - This answered the question "Why don't they make the whole movie out of the cantina scene in Star Wars?" The budget is entirely on the screen for a story that only serves as a vehicle for FX artists to go off. Set designs are more Star Trek or Babylon 5 than anything else, and every character hams it up because they know exactly what movie they're in.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Matrix Resurrections - I'm with the edgelords on this one. It starts out ok and seeing the same old Matrix action choreography in glossy CG is totally fine with me because I never thought these movies were as clever as some people seem to think, and so I could honestly also live with the fact that there's literally no reason what-so-fucking-ever why Neo and Trinity were brought back from the dead. But the ham-fisted "let's do a feminism" in the third act is... I mean, really. Out of knowhere Doogie Howser (who is an AI who shouldn't care one bit whether the people he exploits have penises or vaginas) starts spouting shit about "controlling your woman", and then of course Trinity's the one who can fly at the end because, I dunno, because gurls can too or whatever. They didn't even have the balls to go all the way and actually say that nope, she was "the one" all along. At least that would've been vaguely thematically relevant.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

I posted this on fb but I'll try here as well. I watched some comedy movie or show and there was a part where like someone had to go do something sorta difficult and then it just cut to like pitfall or a game ripping off pitfall as his action and when they were done and like I did it someone asked "how'd you get past the water snakes?" And I'm like 90% sure this was real and I didn't dream it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Or can I just look at all my own posts in this thread to see everything I posted?
formerly ghost boner
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

you only talked about "snakes" 1 other time using this account

samurai cop 10/10 saw a "how did this get made" live last night and it was weirdly depressing. i learned that the main dude in this movie was part of an art heist (coordinated by the movie's stunt coordinator!) and went to prison for many years. I was also sadly reminiscing about time I met bob z'dar and he was a total mess (in a wheelchair, pissing himself, couldn't think about much other than getting more liquor, hitting on insanely young women).
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i'd feel a lot better if we shot all of the matrix sequels into the sun

just keep monica bellucci and that sick car chase on the highway and incinerate the rest

I have 8 children.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

FVBTVS wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:27 pm i'd feel a lot better if we shot all of the matrix sequels into the sun

just keep monica bellucci and that sick car chase on the highway and incinerate the rest

Didn’t that car chase involve werewolves or ghosts or some such creature? That can go into the fire as well.
Eight Bit Alien
need...miss...want...

ghost boner wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:04 pm I posted this on fb but I'll try here as well. I watched some comedy movie or show and there was a part where like someone had to go do something sorta difficult and then it just cut to like pitfall or a game ripping off pitfall as his action and when they were done and like I did it someone asked "how'd you get past the water snakes?" And I'm like 90% sure this was real and I didn't dream it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Or can I just look at all my own posts in this thread to see everything I posted?
This kinda rings a bell
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:03 pm
ghost boner wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:04 pm I posted this on fb but I'll try here as well. I watched some comedy movie or show and there was a part where like someone had to go do something sorta difficult and then it just cut to like pitfall or a game ripping off pitfall as his action and when they were done and like I did it someone asked "how'd you get past the water snakes?" And I'm like 90% sure this was real and I didn't dream it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Or can I just look at all my own posts in this thread to see everything I posted?
This kinda rings a bell

Better Off Dead (1985)?

*Edit*

I meant One Crazy Summer (1986)?
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

zone of interest

:tup: :(

I have 8 children.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Hunter wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:56 am Godzilla Minus Color ('23 | 124min) - 9/10 - To be fair, the US is the biggest warmonger on the planet, so I get that
It feels strange to defend the US as a german, but the blame for the war between the usa and japan clearly lies on japan's side. Also, let's just be happy that the US defeated nazi germany and fascist japan .
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

Thanks for the suggestions guys but it's none of those. God this is driving me nuts
formerly ghost boner
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

ghost boner wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:44 am Thanks for the suggestions guys but it's none of those. God this is driving me nuts
Could it be one of those live action kids’ shows on the Disney Channel. It seems like that sort of humor.