Post your favorite animated movies.

Music posts are a bannable offense.
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Re: Post your favorite animated movies.

Post by neckbeard »

Hotchka! wrote:i have Sword in the Stone but havent watched it yet. I didnt think Snow White has held up that well but was very surprised about Bambi. i think I watched it three times over two days. the animation is very stunning as well as the music if youre open to it. the script though was surprisingly very sparse so i just gave that a 6 i think but everything else was a 10

Pinnochio and Robin Hood are the others ive enjoyed the most and Jungle Book the least and Alice in Wonderland being the most surprising that I didnt give a really high score except for the performance by the guy playing the mad hatter.

overall ive been pretty surprised by how poorly the classic animated disney movies have held up for me
I think I had pretty much all of the Disney movies when I was a kid. I don't think I watched any of the ones with huge bummers in them (bambi, fox and hound) more than once, because I don't remember anything about them.
kale
Iron Goldie
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Post by Iron Goldie »

Natas wrote:
Iron Goldie wrote:Image
btw, didn't it ever seem weird to you how the trailer was never there when he started transforming, and when he transformed back into a robot it would disappear again? we know Slinky didn't think about it cause he was sucking his thumb to the fox and the hound at the time...
Yes, the reappearing/disappearing trailer has been the source of much fan debate for many years. No one knows where it goes. I do remember in a couple of comics the trailer could transform too though, into a gun or something.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

C'mon, it goes off into the distance, what's confusing about that?
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Eight Foot Manchild
Certified False.

Post by Eight Foot Manchild »

Hell-haine wrote:
Necrometer wrote: the Grave of the Fireflies
I still need to watch that.
I can handle it now, I'm a big girl.
In the future, when the human race is at war with androids, this movie will be used as a test to see who's who. If you cry like a little bitch, you're human.

WARNING: DO NOT watch it dubbed. The voice of the younger sister is fucking terrible. Ruins the whole movie.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Eight Foot Manchild wrote:WARNING: DO NOT watch it dubbed. The voice of the younger sister is fucking terrible. Ruins the whole movie.
Thanks. I think Billy Crystal in Howl's Moving Castle ruined that dub experience for me (was watching with a bunch of my little cousins).

On the other side - does anyone else prefer the dubbed version of Fantastic Planet? I grew up on a dubbed VHS and love the English voice actors.
Iron Goldie
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Post by Iron Goldie »

Anybody here ever seen the animated film Plague Dogs? One of the most depressing movies I've seen ever.
Hell-haine
Never, ever change, like those shitty bands!

Post by Hell-haine »

Natas wrote:am i the only one who thinks these all look like shite except for Transformers?
Don't know if you're the only one but in my case, I think they all look awesome except Transformers. :D

Fox and The Hound: yes
WALL-E: saw it on Blu-ray 3 days ago for the first time and thought it was fantastic.

I'm surprised nobody mentionned Watership Down yet.
Bored001 wrote:34 is still wet behind the ears...it's not that you're getting older, you're getting smarter.
Hell-haine

Post by Hell-haine »

Eight Foot Manchild wrote:
In the future, when the human race is at war with androids, this movie will be used as a test to see who's who. If you cry like a little bitch, you're human.
Haha! Grave Of The Fireflies: The Voight-Kampff test
Eight Foot Manchild wrote: WARNING: DO NOT watch it dubbed. The voice of the younger sister is fucking terrible. Ruins the whole movie.
Thanks for the heads-up.
Bored001 wrote:34 is still wet behind the ears...it's not that you're getting older, you're getting smarter.
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Post by 43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W »

I forgot to add Tokyo Godfathers to my list.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Hell-haine wrote:I'm surprised nobody mentionned Watership Down yet.
rip twas
SAUSAGES!!!!!!!!!!
Map, Monitor, Surge

Post by SAUSAGES!!!!!!!!!! »

This
Felidae is a noir thriller about a serial killer whose victims are found in a state of sexual arousal. After moving to a new town, Francis stumbles across a brutal murder scene and decides to try and solve the case. Cult worship and sacrifice, drugs, sex, and very intense violence make this noir film bleak as fuck, with an atmosphere as dark as Requiem For a Dream.

Did I mention that Francis is a Cat? in fact, the entire cast are cats, and despite its maturity, its animated, and looks like something Disney would have put out in the 70’s.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Yes, that is a drill. Yes, that is a cats head
Hell-haine

Post by Hell-haine »

Oh wow!!! I have to watch this.
I had never heard of it before your post!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felidae_(film)
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

neckbeard wrote:
Hotchka! wrote:The Little Mermaid has held up really well

just sayin
I see you're just sayin but you got me thinking; Are any of the olde timey disney movies still any good? Snow White? Sword in the Stone? I don't think I need to watch them again.

Some of those Pixar movies are real good though. I submit Wall-E to the thread.
I tried to watch Snow White a couple weeks ago and got about 20 minutes into it. The animation was awesome, I mean, when you think about the time it was released and how they did it. There was a scene where Snow White was looking down a well and you could see her reflected face move all around the well water, I thought that was pretty damn impressive for, what, 1927? The sound is what made me want to turn it off.. ugh.. (The Prince was an annoying faggot too)

I watched Alice in Wonderland last year and it was pretty awesome though.
Hell-haine

Post by Hell-haine »

I watched Robin Hood and Cinderella this Christmas.
Still enjoyed it a lot.
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

I've been on a huge Studio Ghibili kick lately. I've been trying to buy up all the Studio Ghibili films I find...

The only Miyazaki films I haven't seen is Nausicaä (which looks awesome) and Porco Rosso (could be ok). I've only seen a small chunk of Castle in the Sky but the animation is a little rough and story didn't quite grip me. I'll go back to that movie and watch it in a sitting but it's my least favorite of his films. Spirited Away, Ponyo, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, are all awesome as fuck.

Graves of the Fireflies looks great. Pom Poko could be good. I have no interest in ever seeing My Neighbors the Yamadas. Whispers of the Heart looks charming, the Cat Returns could be some furry shit though. Tales from Earthsea looks badass.

So many movies I need to see
pooptastik
Too Many Sads Too Many Regrets

Post by pooptastik »

Necrometer wrote:let me drop a quick anti-recommendation for Waltz with Bashir - holy cow did that movie suck! (except for the parts with boobs)
fucking HATED it. fucking jew guilt. fuck off.
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

zombiehead wrote:I've been on a huge Studio Ghibili kick lately. I've been trying to buy up all the Studio Ghibili films I find...

The only Miyazaki films I haven't seen is Nausicaä (which looks awesome) and Porco Rosso (could be ok). I've only seen a small chunk of Castle in the Sky but the animation is a little rough and story didn't quite grip me. I'll go back to that movie and watch it in a sitting but it's my least favorite of his films. Spirited Away, Ponyo, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, are all awesome as fuck.

Graves of the Fireflies looks great. Pom Poko could be good. I have no interest in ever seeing My Neighbors the Yamadas. Whispers of the Heart looks charming, the Cat Returns could be some furry shit though. Tales from Earthsea looks badass.

So many movies I need to see

I boght all the Ghibli movies except the one that was never brought over to the U.S. because two of the little girls in the movie talk about their periods... My Neighbors The Yamadas starts off slow, but after 20 minutes gets awesome. Pom Poko is good, ut my least fave Ghibli movie, though that opinion is considered blasphemy by many. Grave Of The fireflies is beyond great. Don't go into it thinking it's a fun movie though. I loved Earthsea, but again, I'm in the minority in that. most hate it. Nausica is amazing as well considering how early in the history of Ghibli it was made. If you really wanna flesh out your collection, you should pick up/see The Castle Of Cagliostro if you haven't already. it's not a Ghibli movie really, but it was done by Miyazaki in the late 70's. Totally fun movie. A year or so ago I posted about a DS RPG where all of the animation was done by Ghibli. Sad news is that it's not getting a U.S. release date, but I guess it has an English language option so you could import it and play it since all DS's are kinda region free, I believe.
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

what was the movie about the periods?

My Neighbor Totoro shocked me a little with the bathing scene.. If Dinsey OK'd that, then I don't see a problem with 2 girls talking about their pie rods
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

zombiehead wrote:what was the movie about the periods?

My Neighbor Totoro shocked me a little with the bathing scene.. If Dinsey OK'd that, then I don't see a problem with 2 girls talking about their pie rods

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Only_Yesterday_(film)
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W wrote:
zombiehead wrote:what was the movie about the periods?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Only_Yesterday_(film)
ah yeah, i think they talk about this on one of those dvd bonus'...
ThePhillyExperiment
ultimate EVIL

Post by ThePhillyExperiment »

Hell-haine wrote:
I'm surprised nobody mentionned Watership Down yet.
Was just about to post it.
brobot wrote: "Some guy asked me if I was a robot...like a Relapse robot? I have no idea what he was talking about."
GLEN BENTON wrote: ONLY THING IS I LOOK AT THE GIRLS AT THE MOVIES, AND THERE BETWEEN 10 AND 14!
ThePhillyExperiment
ultimate EVIL

Post by ThePhillyExperiment »

Don't believe anyone put Animal Farm in here.
brobot wrote: "Some guy asked me if I was a robot...like a Relapse robot? I have no idea what he was talking about."
GLEN BENTON wrote: ONLY THING IS I LOOK AT THE GIRLS AT THE MOVIES, AND THERE BETWEEN 10 AND 14!
captain
Inhale/Exhale

Post by captain »

Love classic Disney. But my favorite modern Disney has to go to...

Also, Secret of Nimh is the best of the Don Bluth films, but I'm also partial to...

though the girl can be a little annoying.

And though it doesn't really qualify as a movie, I have to mention...

Yeah, I'm a big softie :oops:
"Never follow a hippie to a second location" -Jack Donaghy
Introvert
7th Church of the Apocalyptic Lawnmower

Post by Introvert »

Is it silly that I like The Lion King mainly because I got a beej while watching it the first time?

Oh, and the ukulele band I was in at work about 4 years ago did The Lion Sleeps Tonight but I have fonder memories of the beej.

I've loved all of the Disney cartoon movies over the years but haven't seen one in ages.

I'll just be a simpleton and say that the South Park movie is great.
Friendly Goatus wrote:and stop being a dick to your cat
The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

oh and Toy Story