The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Songs of Love and Hate
How's them beans, ma?

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by Songs of Love and Hate »

Gookstorm wrote:
Songs of Love and Hate wrote:I'm just starting to look into monitors but I figured I'd ask here if anyone has a recommendation on a new PC monitor.
A Dell U2410 is what I'd go with if I was in the market for a new monitor mostly because the color is awesome and text will look crisp on it. Thing is, it's not the best monitor if you're mostly doing gaming on it because it's a PVA/IPS panel, not a TN panel with the lowest response times. Maybe the Dell 22" e-IPS is a better bang for buck for your needs, but it's tough to say what monitor is best for anyone without a budget and desired screen size and usage.

Any screen I buy is always going to primarily be used for gaming. Everything else is secondary. I'm using a 22 inch monitor right now but I could go bigger. Price isn't really an issue I just want the best for my gaming needs, which is a monitor that does HD so the PS3 will looks it's best on it.
Steam - Sterile Prophet

PSN - Sterileprophet

http://withrpgelements.blogspot.com/
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

With the lady away most of the weekend and it raining outside so my daughter was doing indoor stuff, I also finished off Bioshock 2 (PS3) which was really good and not too hard to finish thanks to a bit of luck fighting the three big sisters at the end and beating them first go.

Following Bioshock I knocked over the last half of the Aliens Vs Predator (PS3) promo copy I got and while it's graphically a bit weak, there were a couple of other more major issues - Mostly for me was how disorienting the game can be at times.

Songs of Love & Hate - I got a 24 inch full HD HDMI input monitor for like 240 AUD on ebay, I play xbox through it, my only issue is I need to plug headphones into it for the audio which is a pain when using the headset.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

Streven Adler wrote:
copstache wrote:speaking of deus ex, i just found and installed a mod that retrofits dx10 rendering and it looks SUPER good, especially with a hi-res texture pack. it looks like proper hardware rendering now! brb, replaying deus ex...
a link would be fantastic.
sorry. http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/

editedit: i'm retarded and d3d is part of directx
Last edited by copstache on Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

doomeddisciple wrote:Songs of Love & Hate - I got a 24 inch full HD HDMI input monitor for like 240 AUD on ebay, I play xbox through it, my only issue is I need to plug headphones into it for the audio which is a pain when using the headset.
You could buy the 360 to monitor vga cable but it might not be worth the price. You don't have to worry about that with a PS3 because you can choose a separate audio output.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

dude you can seriously go to best buy and get a 1080p, hdmi ready, 24" monitor for under $200.
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

Here's a japanese gameplay trailer for Resonance of Fate, or End of Eternity as the japanese version is called.

Made by Tri-Ace, makers of Valkyria Profile, Eternal Sonata, the Star Ocean games, etc, etc... I'm getting pretty excited for this.
I'm pretty sure this game will be better than FFXIII.

Has anyone played Eternal Sonata? I was thinking about getting this one too eventually.
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

Eternal Sonata was a great concept but ruined by the storyline and by-the-numbers gameplay.

For some reason, they decided to throw like.. 16 characters into your party and most of them had no point in being in teh storyline. You know Choplin, the main character of the game? Well, he's a background character between chapters 3 and 6, and finally at the last chapter, they bring him back into the story.

Gameplay is fun though, and the graphics are neat.. music is good too, if that's your thing. It's not a long game, so you could blast through it in a week or so..
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

Bummer about the story being crap but if it's fun then that's good enough for me. I could probably get it pretty cheap used.
Songs of Love and Hate
How's them beans, ma?

Wang Mandu wrote:
doomeddisciple wrote:Songs of Love & Hate - I got a 24 inch full HD HDMI input monitor for like 240 AUD on ebay, I play xbox through it, my only issue is I need to plug headphones into it for the audio which is a pain when using the headset.
You could buy the 360 to monitor vga cable but it might not be worth the price. You don't have to worry about that with a PS3 because you can choose a separate audio output.

I use headphones to listen to my games anyway so having to use them for this would not be an issue. I've given up on talking to people for online gaming because they're all retards so I wouldn't have the two headset issue.

I know monitors have a different aspect ration than TV's, does this screw up the way console games are displayed on the monitor for you?
Steam - Sterile Prophet

PSN - Sterileprophet

milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

Songs of Love and Hate wrote:
Wang Mandu wrote:

I use headphones to listen to my games anyway so having to use them for this would not be an issue. I've given up on talking to people for online gaming because they're all retards so I wouldn't have the two headset issue.

I know monitors have a different aspect ration than TV's, does this screw up the way console games are displayed on the monitor for you?
Most new monitors nowadays are 16:9 and not 16:10, so it's not really an issue any more.
ImageImageImage
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Songs of Love and Hate wrote: I use headphones to listen to my games anyway so having to use them for this would not be an issue. I've given up on talking to people for online gaming because they're all retards so I wouldn't have the two headset issue.

Displays as milkmandan relates: 16:9 and no issues, out of the box plug and play, really happy with it.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Songs of Love and Hate wrote:I use headphones to listen to my games anyway so having to use them for this would not be an issue. I've given up on talking to people for online gaming because they're all retards so I wouldn't have the two headset issue.
:tup: I bought a pair recently for late night gaming and have been using them more and more. It sucked having to turn the sound down. I miss having a receiver/giant speaker combo for games.
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

Monster Hunter 3 is pretty awesome :tup:
blastocystosis
O.G. Interwebber

Post by blastocystosis »

This came out on February 22nd but it's been sold out for awhile. I'm definitely going to pick this up on Friday. Looks totally bad ass especially for being a homebrewed game.

http://nesguide.com/games/battlekidfortressofperil/

Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Dragon Age: Awakening is going to be $24 here with a preorder mousepad. :drooly: :awesome: Just need to figure out if it'll be compatible with the Steam version of DA: O.

Edit: Fuck...
Last edited by Wang Mandu on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Songs of Love and Hate
How's them beans, ma?

Wang Mandu wrote:
Songs of Love and Hate wrote:I use headphones to listen to my games anyway so having to use them for this would not be an issue. I've given up on talking to people for online gaming because they're all retards so I wouldn't have the two headset issue.
:tup: I bought a pair recently for late night gaming and have been using them more and more. It sucked having to turn the sound down. I miss having a receiver/giant speaker combo for games.

I love using headphones. My room isn't really set up to where I could have surround sound and my roommate and I share a wall. The only downside to using headphones for me is that I get a ton of earwax.
Steam - Sterile Prophet

PSN - Sterileprophet

copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

Whoa, Spelunky is coming to xbla. If anybody hasn't played it yet it's free on pc. Hope he makes some money on it now because it's a great game
Songs of Love and Hate
How's them beans, ma?

copstache wrote:Whoa, Spelunky is coming to xbla. If anybody hasn't played it yet it's free on pc. Hope he makes some money on it now because it's a great game

With this and Cave Story and LaMulana coming to Wiiware it's cool to see these guys making some money off of these games. I find myself being more impressed with these indoie games lately than the big time releases.
Steam - Sterile Prophet

PSN - Sterileprophet

43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Post by 43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W »

PS3 updates take so fucking long to download and install. If any of you get FF 13 be advised the "free special item" is nothing more than a chance to be part of the FF 14 beta and a free item in FF 14. I found this out after going through the lengthy process of signing up to be a member of Square's member website. So if you're like me and could care less about the online FF games, no need to bother with that code at all.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

great stuff man. I look forward to your God of War 3 firmware review next week.
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

copstache wrote:Whoa, Spelunky is coming to xbla. If anybody hasn't played it yet it's free on pc. Hope he makes some money on it now because it's a great game
Yeah it's pretty cool even though it's a total ripoff of Spelunker for NES
No Cunting Elves
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

What am I missing here? You could buy a cheapo 10 dollar bux external speakers.
copstache wrote:dude you can seriously go to best buy and get a 1080p, hdmi ready, 24" monitor for under $200.
LOL. AUD = Australian dollar bux.
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

Wait so the only thing cut from the American version of yakuza 3 is the godawful tedious dating sim bullshit? and people are getting mad about it?

Jesus Christ, people.
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Post by 43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W »

Vanille in FF 13 has one of the most unique and kickass weapons I've seen in an RPG.

Also, this game is more "dark" and a bit less fluffy rhan I was thinking it'd be.
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

copstache wrote:Wait so the only thing cut from the American version of yakuza 3 is the godawful tedious dating sim bullshit? and people are getting mad about it?

Jesus Christ, people.
It was the quiz show and the hostess clubs.

http://kotaku.com/5479525/sega-yakuza-3 ... se-[update]