The Spoiler-filled thread for Final Fantasy XIII

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: The Spoiler-filled thread for Final Fantasy XIII

Post by Friendly Goatus »

You can have up to six paradigms. You have to go to your paradigm menu and choose the customize option.

Though, if you're not far enough yet to have had the tutorial that shows you how to do that then the game probably wont let you.
jakebonz
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by jakebonz »

Anyone else really appreciate the fact that while waiting for a save to load that there is a brief summary of recent events to remind you of the story so far?
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Post by 43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W »

jakebonz wrote:Anyone else really appreciate the fact that while waiting for a save to load that there is a brief summary of recent events to remind you of the story so far?

nods head
jakebonz
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by jakebonz »

The end of Chapter 8 is very :shock: and :what: worthy
jakebonz
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by jakebonz »

Oh, so I figured out how to actually get a decent amount of Gil. Sell Credit Chips and Incentive Chips you get as loot from soldiers. They don't do shit for upgrayedding stuff but can be sold for a bunch of Gil.
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

:tup:
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
Charles Schulzerie
Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-ka

Post by Charles Schulzerie »

I still haven't played through a whole Final Fantasy since 6.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I fucking hated FFVII
^Not a real spoiler^
noah thirteen wrote:
Friendly Goatus wrote:I didn't have any tortillas before I took the ambien, Noah. I'm a sharp cookie. I know things.
Just imagine a giant cookie buying tortillas on a shit load of ambien.....
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

The last FF I finished was VII. VIII fucking sucked so much I couldn't get past a few hours. IX was much better but I didn't finish that one because of lyfestyle. I-VI were varying degrees of completion and were mostly fun. X-XII I didn't even bother with...

XIII is really fucking fun though. The battle system, which is the core of the game (besides the story), is so satisfying and very difficult at times. I love the crystarium system too. I haven't yet reached the point of being able to level up weapons and accessories but that seems like it'll be awesome. Great stuff. I get the feeling this will be the best FF since VI by the time I'm done.
CoconutBackwards1
One Of Many Accounts

Post by CoconutBackwards1 »

Could someone give me The Retard's Guide to Upgarding Weapons?
The only question that I thought was hard was do I like Kirk, or do I like Picard?
jakebonz
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by jakebonz »

CoconutBackwards1 wrote:Could someone give me The Retard's Guide to Upgarding Weapons?
Don't do it until you're on about chapter 9, where you can do some real good grinding and item farming.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
You'll start out making your way through an enemy airship. You'll know what I'm talking about when you're outside of the airship walking along scaffolding killing these hovering robots and flying soldiers. When you're at the end of the outside walkways, you'll step back into the ship and trigger an alarm. That transition between inside and outside is what you want to exploit. You'll go around a corner and fight 4 soldiers. Instead of continuing forward, turn around and go back outside, where you'll fight respawned bots and flying soldiers. Keep doing this to your heart's content (or until you've maxed out your characters). This is a fantastic spot to collect those chips I mentioned above as well as good weapon upgrade items from the bots. When you've collected a bunch of those chips, go sell them for a tidy sum and then purchase a bunch of upgrade materials from the (something) Garage store.
Now that you know where to get Gil and other upgrayedd materials, you can start boosting yer weapons. There are generally two types of upgrade materials: One type will have a large amount of EXP per item, the other may have a smaller amount, but will offer a bonus multiplier. The trick is to figure out which items add that bonus. To do this, you're gonna have to use 5 or 6 at a time to see if they lead to a bonus. If they do, follow those with the high EXP items to more efficiently upgrade your weapons.

Hopefully some of this helps.
Chevalier Mal Fet
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Chevalier Mal Fet »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Dudes - check out my record: https://linktr.ee/illuminihilation
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

jakebonz wrote:
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W wrote:Anyone beat the boss I mentioned above?
I beat him last night. Not that hard.

Use Supersoldier paradigm to start so you can put protect and shell on your characters. Then (and this is key) use Libra to keep track of Aster's constant shifting of elemental weaknesses. Use Slash & Burn paradigm until his chain gauge is at about 30% (with War & Peace when you need to heal) then switch to Dualcasting Paradigm to stagger him. Once staggered, switch back to Slash & Burn to juggle the fucker in the air. When Aster recovers from stagger, repeat.

In summary: Supersoldier -> Libra -> Slash & Burn to 30% Chain -> Dualcasting to stagger -> Slash & Burn once staggered

War & Peace as necessary

Okay... there's no protect or shell option which I switch to the Supersoldier paradigm. And my Crystarium for both characters is maxed out with everything available.
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Ah fuck, I finally beat the fucker. My buddy was telling me to use Slash And Burn and Yin And Yang. I then look at what Jakebonz wrote, and was like "Fuck, I never saw War And Peace as an option. I then realized you could create your own paradigms. I created War And Peace and it was fairly easy after that. Both Yin And Yang and War And Peace are offensive/healing paradigms, but War And Peace is stronger healing and is automatic. made all the difference in the world.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

It really helps to read the tutorials in your data book thing. There's a lot of stuff not mentioned in the tutorials you get in battle during the first quarter of the game.

All the other entries are really interesting to read too. Gives the story a lot more depth and makes it easier to understand shit.
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Friendly Goatus wrote:It really helps to read the tutorials in your data book thing. There's a lot of stuff not mentioned in the tutorials you get in battle during the first quarter of the game.

All the other entries are really interesting to read too. Gives the story a lot more depth and makes it easier to understand shit.

Yep, I started doing that (reading the data entries) today. At first I thought the only thing in those entries were recaps of the storyine you already saw.
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Okay... now that I'm getting farther into the game (almost to Chapter 7), can someone explain weapons and upgrading in idiot detail for me? I've heard numerous places to save any uprading until later in the game. Why is this? Also, whenever I find a weapon or the very few I've bought, they're always weaker than the one I've had equipped since the beginning of the game, even though I haven't upgradded them. Why is this? I mean, I know any new ones I find or buy can be upgraded, but it seems odd that to start they're way weaker than the weapons you start the fame with.
jakebonz
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by jakebonz »

See my post above about upgrading weapons.

But yeah, you should wait until a bit later in the game simply because high EXP and high EXP bonus materials are far more abundant in later chapters, thus making it a lot easier to upgrade your weapons. Also, you'll be able to more easily figure out a character's role by then, thus allowing you to devote upgrade materials to the appropriate weapon. For example:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Fang is primarily a Commando. So I found a weapon that initially had a higher attack rating than the rest of them and upgraded that one. Snow ends up being a pretty good Sentinel, so I have a weapon for him that boost his guard. Even though it has a shitty attack rating, the Guard boost was what I was really going after.
Hope that helps.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

I wish sooo badly that they kept the battle system for ff12 in this game.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

Ghost Dad wrote:I wish sooo badly that they kept the battle system for ff12 in this game.
I'm only on chapter 3 but I really want to play FF12 instead. :tdown:
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

What's the deal with those velocycles at the end of Chapter 7 that unleash a gatlin gun on you? I can beat them, but only if they happen to target the character I'm not controlling so i can use a Phoenix Down and then kick his ass before he uses the gat again. If the velocycle happens to target the character I'm in control of, game over. I'm even using protect. I don't know if I'm totally playing this game wrong, but this is the hardest FF game I've ever played.
jakebonz
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by jakebonz »

If you have a sentinel, use him
jakebonz
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by jakebonz »

BTW, at the end of chapter 11
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
20+ minute boss fight :what:
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Comrade Slinky wrote:
Ghost Dad wrote:I wish sooo badly that they kept the battle system for ff12 in this game.
I'm only on chapter 3 but I really want to play FF12 instead. :tdown:
it get's a whole lot more fun. stick with it
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Friendly Goatus wrote: VIII fucking sucked so much I couldn't get past a few hours. X-XII I didn't even bother with...

VIII is extremely slow to get into, but If you can make it 1/3 of the way into the 2nd disc, it's amazing. You should take the time to play X and XII. XII is the best in the series, imo.

XIII's battle system reminds me of X-2 so far. Tell me: does it get more complex down the line than paradigm shifts and stagger chains? I sure hope so.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Vanille :oops: :brokenheart:
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Vanille :brokenheart: :brokenheart: :brokenheart: :brokenheart: :brokenheart: :brokenheart: :brokenheart: :brokenheart: :brokenheart: :brokenheart: