Suggest Instrumental bands (The kids call it "post rock"?)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Re: Suggest Instrumental bands (The kids call it "post rock"?)

Post by neckbeard »

seconding Mono because I've only seen it once in here.

On topic digression:
Which Godspeed albums don't have talking in them? Or go the longest without talking
kale
IwishIwasalittlegirl
Soul of the Martyr

Post by IwishIwasalittlegirl »

neckbeard wrote:seconding Mono because I've only seen it once in here.

On topic digression:
Which Godspeed albums don't have talking in them? Or go the longest without talking
Lift Yr Skinny Fists...doesn't have many of those long talking samples. It has a couple, but its pretty spread out over each 25 min. song. I would suggest "YanQui U.X.O." has having the least but I don't really care for that album and think it's their worst. MONO is playing here in Nashville in June, I'm pretty excited. :D
The key to permanent consciousness increase was a hole in the skull. To restore the full brain pulsation of infancy. The key to more consciousness is sitting in the next room over. How can I know this and not unlock the door?
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

Red Sparowes, saw them the other night, fantastic music to sway too, fuck moshing
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

I saw Mono once before about 5 years ago, but would like to see them again now since they've developed so much since then
Dr Yail Bloor
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Dr Yail Bloor »

earthless
mogwai
\m/Johnny\m/ wrote:
I guess there's crippling, life shattering levels of alcoholism, and then there's Lemmy.
IwishIwasalittlegirl
Soul of the Martyr

mithrandir wrote:I saw Mono once before about 5 years ago, but would like to see them again now since they've developed so much since then

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it -- though their latest album is far and away their worst and I hope they don't play very much from it, the preceding album material that they will play will be definitely worth it.
The key to permanent consciousness increase was a hole in the skull. To restore the full brain pulsation of infancy. The key to more consciousness is sitting in the next room over. How can I know this and not unlock the door?
valgalder
Wandering Johnny!

Post by valgalder »

IwishIwasalittlegirl wrote:
mithrandir wrote:I saw Mono once before about 5 years ago, but would like to see them again now since they've developed so much since then

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it -- though their latest album is far and away their worst and I hope they don't play very much from it, the preceding album material that they will play will be definitely worth it.
Agreed. "You are There" album .. :pizza: :pizza:
Skyclun wrote: Explain to me how I'm dumb for not knowing how PayPal works.
From Blintzes to Crepes
Elitist Prick

Post by From Blintzes to Crepes »

neckbeard wrote:seconding Mono because I've only seen it once in here.

On topic digression:
Lift Yr Skinny Fists...doesn't have many of those long talking samples. It has a couple, but its pretty spread out over each 25 min. song. I would suggest "YanQui U.X.O." has having the least but I don't really care for that album and think it's their worst. MONO is playing here in Nashville in June, I'm pretty excited. :D
FUCK! I move out of TN and all the good shows are there now. What the shit is this nonsense?
Friendly Goatus wrote:I want to shout obscenities into her vagina and then whisper apologies into her butthole
monsterod wrote:I'm gonna skin my dick to this when I'm sober enough to cum.
Gunther wrote:shut up redneck
Fields of Shit
Keep it thick...

Post by Fields of Shit »

Seeing Red Sparowes tonight. They were awesome last time with Russian Circles.
Look at that lighthouse. That's the ultimate expression of phallocentric technocracy violating Mother Sky.
The Arsonist
Throbbing Black Werebeast

Post by The Arsonist »

Assplay!!! wrote:It's prolly a lil' more poppy than you'd like, but here's my old band's shit....

http://www.mediafire.com/?l1cu6lpzrsq

I don't know why I put off listening to this for so long. Is awesome, thanks.

Also, these guys are pretty badass:

pg.lost
http://www.myspace.com/pglost
Iron Goldie
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Post by Iron Goldie »

mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

I disagree with you 100%, Hymn to the Immortal Wind is by far their most accomplished and ambitious album to date, that album is dripping with tears and emotion, the one that give them a true identity instead of just another cookie-cutter post-rock band amongst the many
IwishIwasalittlegirl
Soul of the Martyr

mithrandir wrote:

I disagree with you 100%, Hymn to the Immortal Wind is by far their most accomplished and ambitious album to date, that album is dripping with tears and emotion, the one that give them a true identity instead of just another cookie-cutter post-rock band amongst the many

I don't see it that way -- I don't mind copy & paste post-rock, I'm not going to listen to every band that does it or anything, but I think Mono does an exceptional job of it. But while thinking about it, I don't think they really sound much like any other post-rock band even though they utilize every genre cliche. Anyway, "Hymn to the Immortal Wind" sounded far too sentimental, too sappy. It lacked the effective juxtapositioning of that inescapable element of post-rock (the sentimental element) with abrasive atmospheres and hopeless moments. The whole album just felt like something...bitter-sweet...and it isn't working for me. Either way, I'm really looking forward to the show.
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

mithrandir wrote:

I don't see it that way -- I don't mind copy & paste post-rock, I'm not going to listen to every band that does it or anything, but I think Mono does an exceptional job of it. But while thinking about it, I don't think they really sound much like any other post-rock band even though they utilize every genre cliche. Anyway, "Hymn to the Immortal Wind" sounded far too sentimental, too sappy. It lacked the effective juxtapositioning of that inescapable element of post-rock (the sentimental element) with abrasive atmospheres and hopeless moments. The whole album just felt like something...bitter-sweet...and it isn't working for me. Either way, I'm really looking forward to the show.
ah, but thats what I like, you can never be too sappy and sentimental, I love completely forlorn shit about star crossed lovers, Warning's watching from a distance does the same thing for me
Glass Asshole
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Glass Asshole »

"God used me as hammer boys, to beat his weary drum today"

In Gorguts we trust.
valgalder
Wandering Johnny!

Post by valgalder »

mithrandir wrote:
ah, but thats what I like, you can never be too sappy and sentimental, I love completely forlorn shit about star crossed lovers, Warning's watching from a distance does the same thing for me
ASMZ? :?
Skyclun wrote: Explain to me how I'm dumb for not knowing how PayPal works.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

eyehatethehumanrace wrote:Electro Quarterstaff.
what does it say that a retard was the first one to mention these guys?
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

i guess i have to renounce my fandom
kale
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

I like this thread

Mahavishnu Orchestra

What's best after inner mounting flame?
kale
Chevalier Mal Fet
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Chevalier Mal Fet »

Your list, and people's responses to this thread are pretty diffuse so I too will spew out instrumental bands that are in the realm of possibility of your liking them:

Collapsar - just broke up last year, fuck me - http://www.myspace.com/collapsar

Souvenirs Young America - http://www.myspace.com/souvenirsyoungamerica

Rroselicoeur - http://www.last.fm/music/Rroselicoeur

Burbis - http://www.myspace.com/burbis

Combat Astronomy - http://www.myspace.com/combatastronomy2

Eluvium - http://www.myspace.com/eluviumtaken

I'll second about 80% of the other stuff listed in this thread and check out the rest.
Dudes - check out my record: https://linktr.ee/illuminihilation
hooked on sonics
Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-ka

Post by hooked on sonics »

neckbeard wrote:I like this thread

Mahavishnu Orchestra

nothing else comes close to this one for me; i'm prone to excessive hyperbole, but really, this is one is spectacular, especially if you're a fan of acoustic guitar

SHAKTI WITH JOHN MCLAUGHLIN the song 'Joy' is the most ridiculous acoustic guitar and violin shredfest ever laid down to tape. it's 18:13 of pure blissed out lightning guitar with eastern sounding guitar scales. this is technically fusion music, it's John playing with the most ambitious young indian guys he could find at the height of his fame and his technique can only be described as out of this world... after this he seems to have mellowed out a lot, but this one is the goods if you're into fast stuff.

the band features 2 percussionists playing clay pots in a dizzying array of time signatures,a a violin guy who has absolutely stellar intonation and actually manages to trade manic chorus' with Johnny mac without breaking a sweat, and last but not least John himself playing a custom acoustic guitar with drone strings and scalloped frets... the first song is the killer, the rest are the slow spacey come down after the ecstasy of 'Joy' and the percussion guys kind of take over, but it's still good stuff.
hooked on sonics
Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-ka

Post by hooked on sonics »

la caca eres tu
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by la caca eres tu »

la caca eres tu wrote:This thread rules. :cheers:

Whoever posted just album covers, c'mon dog... 'properties' didn't tell me shit.
Gotcha;

For those who care or don't know, here is the albums/artists and a short description;

Fripp & Eno "Eveningstar" (Ambient guitar-soundscapes)
Magwheels "Evebuildingbomb" (Industrial-tinged ambient guitar soundscapes by David Sullivan [ex-Facedowninshit guitarist])
Heldon "II:Allez Teia" (Fripp & Eno worship but a little more folky)
Popol Vuh "Aguirre" (Mesoamerican synth-scapes with krauty-folk parts [yeah, I said it])
Byla "Byla" (I'm sure most here are familiar with these guys; guitar-driven soundscapes)
Nadja "Bodycage" (This is perhaps my favorite Aiden Baker work -- it has an amazingly desperate and suffocating atmosphere; like the audio of a woman giving birth to a stillborn child)
Hjarnidaudi "Pain:Noise:March" (Like a really slooow Isis but not as monotonous as Moss)
Drafted by Minotaurs "Aversion Therapy" (Synthy-droney space-drift rock that flirts with post-rock moments)
Gregor Samsa "55:12" (Very accessible orchestral post-rock)
Jackie-O-Motherfucker "Liberation" (Drone-jams that flirt with psychedelic krauty moments)
Rhys Chatham "An Angel Moves too Fast to See" (Proto-post-rock orchestra that blends into post-punk catchiness)
Earthmonkey "Audiosapien" (Steven Stapleton & Peat Bog [Nurse with Wound]'s kraut-rock jam tribute band)
Ground Zero "Consume Red" (Monolithic Ligeti-jazz)
Heavy Winged "Blacc Lust" (Heavy jam space rock -- fans of Acid Mothers Temple would be interested)
Monopot "Something Is Like Nothing Was" (Quintessential bare-bones post-rock in the vein of Low "Things We Lost in the Fire")
and another worth mentioning;
The White Birch "Star is just a Sun" (Synth-heavy post-rock but vocals on almost every song)
Thanks! :fonz:
"La caca eres tu is an absolute master of foreskin mechanics."
-Necrometer
StateScatologist
Better at internetting than you.

Post by StateScatologist »

hooked on sonics wrote:
neckbeard wrote:I like this thread

Mahavishnu Orchestra

nothing else comes close to this one for me; i'm prone to excessive hyperbole, but really, this is one is spectacular, especially if you're a fan of acoustic guitar

SHAKTI WITH JOHN MCLAUGHLIN the song 'Joy' is the most ridiculous acoustic guitar and violin shredfest ever laid down to tape. it's 18:13 of pure blissed out lightning guitar with eastern sounding guitar scales. this is technically fusion music, it's John playing with the most ambitious young indian guys he could find at the height of his fame and his technique can only be described as out of this world... after this he seems to have mellowed out a lot, but this one is the goods if you're into fast stuff.

the band features 2 percussionists playing clay pots in a dizzying array of time signatures,a a violin guy who has absolutely stellar intonation and actually manages to trade manic chorus' with Johnny mac without breaking a sweat, and last but not least John himself playing a custom acoustic guitar with drone strings and scalloped frets... the first song is the killer, the rest are the slow spacey come down after the ecstasy of 'Joy' and the percussion guys kind of take over, but it's still good stuff.
Big hugs to y'all. McLaughlin is my favorite Guitarist of all time. Birds of Fire is another awesome one. Also check out The Lost Trident Sessions, Apocalypse and Visions of an Emerald Beyond. Have one Shakti album too called Natural Elements. All fucking killer. So go listen to em and like em folks.

I beat lesbians at pool tonight.