bike thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Re: bike thread

Post by spacehamster »

hipster holocaust wrote:He enjoys looking like a complete asshole.
Yeah, looks like something for people who think riding a unicycle doesn't make them look like enough of an ass.

I mean, I sort of get that it's an interesting challenge or whatever, but then what? You gonna ride that thing to the grocery store?
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Fuck...I'm Dave
git help.

Post by Fuck...I'm Dave »

spacehamster wrote:
hipster holocaust wrote:He enjoys looking like a complete asshole.
Yeah, looks like something for people who think riding a unicycle doesn't make them look like enough of an ass.

I mean, I sort of get that it's an interesting challenge or whatever, but then what? You gonna ride that thing to the grocery store?
You ride your mountain bike to get groceries?

I wouldn't ride a tall bike but they're interesting exercises in bike building and probably fun to ride if you're into it. I don't think we have to grade bikes according to their usefulness as grocery getters.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Fuck...I'm Dave wrote:I don't think we have to grade bikes according to their usefulness as grocery getters.
Yeah, I guess I just don't understand what you do with those things once you've built and practiced how to ride it. Mountain bikes are ultimately a means to an end - they allow me to do things and go places, and it's something I do all the time. What do you do with a tall bike that's fun? I mean, if it's fun for someone to just ride that thing up and down the street because they enjoy being able to do that, fine, I don't have to understand what other people think is fun, I just really don't get it.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Fuck...I'm Dave
git help.

spacehamster wrote:
Fuck...I'm Dave wrote:I don't think we have to grade bikes according to their usefulness as grocery getters.
Yeah, I guess I just don't understand what you do with those things once you've built and practiced how to ride it. Mountain bikes are ultimately a means to an end - they allow me to do things and go places, and it's something I do all the time. What do you do with a tall bike that's fun? I mean, if it's fun for someone to just ride that thing up and down the street because they enjoy being able to do that, fine, I don't have to understand what other people think is fun, I just really don't get it.
Yeah, i agree on that. I don't really get them either but it's kind of cool to see someone riding one down the street sometimes.

I used to live up the street from a place that built tallbikes and other stupid things like that and every so often a bunch of people would just ride weird bikes around the neighborhood.
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Post by hipster holocaust »

Tall bikes are the number one irrational anger in my life. Fuck it.
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

Recumbent bikes get me pretty upset...
krog
Static Migration

Post by krog »

Tallbikes are rad because they feel like flying. Plus they are usually janky and danger is fun and cool. Some people ride them on group rides, some people ride them to the grocery store and to work and generally all the time. That's a badge of honor because it is usually not easy to keep a tallbike (or any freakbike) running. They are usually the result of a welder, an hour, two or three frames, and five or six beers.

I never built a tallbike but I built and rode five choppers. For about two years they were my full-time rides. Eventually, all of them broke and I got sick of fixing them. Here is my ten-year-old page about them: http://ftso.net/bikes/

HH, you ought to enjoy this -- there's a tallbike gang in NY who've had not one, but two in-flight casualties. Both were shit drunk and at least one involved falling off an overpass. I met some of them at Brooklyn Bike Kill in '06, good people.
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

They know to stay huddled in places like...ugh..."Morgantown" and other spots where me, cabbies, and hoodrat kids won't be tempted to make fun of/clip them.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Seriously though, all ghost bikes suck. Even tall ones :(
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

id rather have an annoying ghost bike than a hole in the ground for grass
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Having trouble imagining a more humiliating way to go when it comes to pushing daisies as a result of falling off a tall bike.
Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

Post by Necrophilic Mallard »

A few weeks ago I broke a couple tire levers fixing a flat. The route was HARD AS FUCK to pry back on the rim.
Friend today got a flat and was done in under 5 minutes...that tire popped on super easy compared to mine.
Other friend said the wheels make a lot of difference, and so I've been thinking about a spare set anyway...what should I look for?
Also, should I get wire bread tires, or foldables?
Fact #7
From an empirical viewpoint, the problem with Free Will (and causality) is reconciling determinism and freedom to make sense of morality.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

I think it's more wheel+tire specific. Continental tires can be hard to mount, esp gatorskins. Try heat
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

Post by Necrophilic Mallard »

Actually they are gator skins, with the wire bead.
she got a pinch flat hopping a curb; went flat instantly.
Fact #7
From an empirical viewpoint, the problem with Free Will (and causality) is reconciling determinism and freedom to make sense of morality.
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

I have a really hard time with the gatorskins....they're really stiff
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Use a heat gun or throw them in the dryer. Also
I apply talc
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

I can't bring a heat gun riding when i get a flat....
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Another thing you can try is being less weak
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

:awesome:
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

:lol:

Kevin I suspect you were right about all the flats I was getting...I've been checking pressure before every ride and none so far.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

I was using some giant brand tubes that seemed to leak about 5psi a day, I got some cheap tubes that are heavier and have to top off about every two weeks now. FUNNY
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

got my first pair of bib shorts...

would it be ok to ride in only this on a hot day?
Fuck...I'm Dave
git help.

I think the only person it has to be ok with is you.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Yep
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I wouldn't recommend it, tbqh. Exposing your skin to the sun on a hot day gets pretty unpleasant pretty quickly, plus you look like a man who gets sunburns easily, if you don't mind me saying. The best thing to wear when it's really hot is a tight jersey.
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Don't be rude to Erik.

You look beautiful, Erik.