Latest movie you watched (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Re: Latest movie you watched (1-10 scale)

Post by Necrometer »

Whee of the Dead wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:08 amCat 3 rape revenge flick
:lol:
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

Oppenheimer ('23 | 180min) - 6.5/10 - The first 2/3rds was kind of obnoxious - constant and unending exposition dumps within scenes that exist only for more exposition, people acting as hard as they can and other pitfalls of prestige Oscar bait flicks. Casting was weird as hell - some really good (RDJ, Safdie, Branagh, Clarke, Macon Blair?!), some awful (Matt Damon, Dane DeHaan, Casey Affleck). The back 3rd, consisting mostly of courtroom-type drama, was more compelling and didn't suffer the same A Beautiful Mind syndrome. The subject matter is fascinating, and the end result was pretty good, but it was very inconsistent. I saw that James Woods is listed as an Executive Producer and (apparently) he got the credit because he's friends with the person who owned the rights, and he facilitated a meeting. He's not normally a producer, so I was curious how that prick was involved.

Dune: Part Two ('24 | 166min) - 9/10 - Heavy Metal magazine enthusiasts are eating pretty well lately. Hard sci-fi with great cinematography and awesome art direction - I don't have a lot of complaints. If I want to get nitpicky, Zendaya isn't my ideal casting, but I think she held her own fine. The ending felt a little anti-climactic, and as Ross said, there's a weird omission that I left the theater wondering about. I can't complain about the two very brief moments of levity, though - Bardem was great, IMO.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

some VWRY SMRT internet ppl reminded me that the thing I wanted to see doesn’t show up until Dune Messiah, anyway, but it’s still part of the world (including the political machinations) and lame to leave it out

the other omission - maybe what you’re talking about, Hunter - showed that character both too young and too old

I am happy these movies are getting made but I am so shocked they are finding as much success as they are. it’s pretty encouraging that people are into BIG AESTHETICS this much

speaking of: what other HM Magazine flix am I missing?

and… double setup (BIGASSthetix & HMM), the new Mad Max trailer hit way different on the big screen… I’m upgrading my forecast
Brutus Frank
[citation needed]

Post by Brutus Frank »

That new Mad Max trailer looked like candy colored garbage on the big screen.

I enjoyed Fury Road enough to see it twice in theaters, but the entire Furiosa trailer looked like all those terrible night shots from Fury Road.
Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

Post by Whee of the Dead »

Speed - 8 - Haven't seen this since my dad took me to the movies on opening day when I was eight. It holds up surprisingly well and is a lot of fun. Bullock is insufferable as expected but everything else works. Such great stunts and real explosions. Back when they made movies that looked like movies instead of screensavers.
cranial separation

SEX WITH HER SEVERED HEAD
Brutus Frank
[citation needed]

Post by Brutus Frank »

I'd pay good money to see 1985 Geena Davis and 1995 Sandra Bullock fight naked with a rotisserie chicken as their prize.
MPD
I hate your life.

Post by MPD »

Dune: Part Two - 8.5
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

I've been trying to figure out what the fuck this movie is for over 40 years from some dim memory of my early childhood of Monty Python style cut out animation where people are getting attacked by scissors.

samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Necrometer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:42 pm I am happy these movies are getting made but I am so shocked they are finding as much success as they are.
That's sort of my biggest takeaway. I absolutely love both Dune movies and Villeneuve's Blade Runner sequel, but that one flopped because people thought it was "boring", and I honestly don't understand why they don't have the same problem with the Dune movies. They're slow and sparse, the exact opposite of the more recent Marvel stuff or other blockbusters that are like a kid with ADHD throwing up after they ate five bags of Skittles. But, you know, if the commercial market is finally ready for these types of movies again, I certainly look forward to seeing the GDPs of small countries being thrown at... I dunno, adaptations of Moebius comics or something.

Anyway, I saw the second one yesterday and I think my brain's still swimming way too much in the afterglow to have a coherent opinion about it. This shit just tickles me in all the right places.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Brutus Frank
[citation needed]

Post by Brutus Frank »

The Ice Pirates 10/10

Still western cinemas greatest artistic achievment

Absolutely certain this film is what gave me a strong / Aquiline nose fetish; Anjelica Huston is nature's Mad Max Marina Sirtis
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

I absolutely love both Dune movies and Villeneuve's Blade Runner sequel, but that one flopped because people thought it was "boring", and I honestly don't understand why they don't have the same problem with the Dune movies.
yeah, 2049 is a great comparator. I guess they have pretty distinct thrills to offer: one has a holographic girlfriend, and the other has a gigantic space-worm you can cruise around on.

I'm not sure if you've been keeping up with the latest stats, but kids are TERRIFIED of sex these days. wormriding is way more likely to go viral on tiktok, I guess?

bullshitting aside... the disparity is mystifying
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Green Room ('15 | 95min) - 8/10 - I forgot how fucked up and authentic this movie feels. It's not documentary-real obviously, but if you've played shows outside your state, been to shows where there's a group of nazi skinheads, traveled with bands, or even hosted them, you probably relate to aspects of this. Really looking forward to Rebel Ridge, which is apparently in post-production after a bunch of production setbacks. Macon Blair's appearance made me wonder when his version of Toxic Avenger will be available. Not that it will be great, but it has David Yow, so let's go already.

The 'Burbs ('89 | 102min) - 5.5/10 - I had only seen bits and pieces previously, despite it's eternity of cable tv reruns. It's not Joe Dante at his finest, but some of the gags made me snort and Bruce Dern killed it in general. Most everything else made this plod along. At times, I was reminded of Dante's episodes of Police Story! so I checked if he was involved with The Naked Gun (he was not - that was the Zucker brothers)... which led me to find that there's a new Naked Gun in the works, and Liam Neeson is Frank Drebin's son. Could that work? I don't know - but on one hand, it has the director of I Think You Should Leave, but on the other, Seth MacFarlane is a co-writer. Hollywood doesn't make many comedies anymore (not profitable!) so I'll be surprised if it makes it past pre-production anyway.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

anatomy of a fall 8/10 i usally dislike plain 'ol dramas but this was solid. there's an argument in the movie that hit way way way too close to home for me & the mrs
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Necrometer wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:56 pm anatomy of a fall 8/10 i usally dislike plain 'ol dramas but this was solid. there's an argument in the movie that hit way way way too close to home for me & the mrs
:lol: its one of the best arguments ever put on screen
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

:rhug:

we read up about the french court system and apparently the movie version wasn't too far off. the "chaperone" they sent to the house wasn't verified, though, by the french lawyers weighing in. what a wild gig that would be :shock:
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Kinda strange that the big oscar winner last night was a movie about war crimes - but the people involved failed to mention anything about the scores of war crimes happening now. I guess Murphy gave props to "peacemakers"? Pretty vague BS, IMO. At least Jonathan Glazer has some integrity.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

I’m starting to think The Jews may have finally infiltrated Hollywood
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Hunter wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:59 am props to "peacemakers"?
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

THE KILL wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:25 pm I'd be totally okay with more retarded Saw sequels, they're miles better than those super vanilla spooky films along the lines of Conjuring, Nun etc. Those films are for little girls :tdown:
The Saw movies are not Oscar material, but most people are very unfair to them because they do not really understand what's going on and the movies fail at explaining everything in detail, or maybe there are way too many details to remember everything, specially if you watched them in real time (one movie a year). Most of the victims in the movies are interrelated along the series, yes, most people understand "These people are here because they did something wrong", but they do not get the details and more important they do not get the whole chain of events. And something I liked more, two movies happen at the same time, but it was not really clearly mentioned.

I know this not because I am a master of understanding movies, but because there are many YouTube videos dedicated to this, and after watching many of them I decided to go through all the movies and it was more pleasant. They are still of course cheap movies. Maybe just check YouTube if you have any interest.
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Dude, Saw isn’t rocket surgery nor brain science, if you can’t follow what’s going on through out the sequels then go home and marry your cousin.

Love Saw 2.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Now don't be unfair Bill, maybe the fellow Kraut has a point. Have to admit though I don't care about all that super complicated stuff, I just want to see hateful assholes being put into the meanest, goriest traps imaginable. I love well done practical effects.

Anyway how was that most recent Saw film, has any of you seen that?
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

my idiot friend who i love dearly made me sit through about 45 minutes of the most recent one and when i tell you it was insanely stupid and confusing i'll you what

its amazing how its basically a low low budget serial tv show in a sort of movie form that they release in theatres and absolutely crushes at the box office

insane

I have 8 children.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

confusing in the sense like

who the FUCK watches this liquid shit

I have 8 children.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

you are the one curating idiot saw friends. my idiot friends are all medical doctors or punx.
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

walton goggins character in the 2010 Predators movie calls one of the predators a "space faggot"

I have 8 children.