Latest Gene Wolfe book you read (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: Latest book you read (1-10 scale)

Post by father of lies »

Honestly, I think I have a pretty good handle on most of the concepts. Obviously, I don't know a damn thing about any of the math, but none of the ideas really stretch my brain out past its limits...
fvkk
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

father of lies wrote:Honestly, I think I have a pretty good handle on most of the concepts. Obviously, I don't know a damn thing about any of the math, but none of the ideas really stretch my brain out past its limits...
anyone can "imagine" the superposition of an electron, but to actually conceive the how and why this is possible can only be done by aliens
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

mithrandir wrote:
father of lies wrote:Honestly, I think I have a pretty good handle on most of the concepts. Obviously, I don't know a damn thing about any of the math, but none of the ideas really stretch my brain out past its limits...
anyone can "imagine" the superposition of an electron, but to actually conceive the how and why this is possible can only be done by aliens
there's a quote i like about quantum mechanics, that if it doesn't shatter your psyche then you don't understand it.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

I should rephrase. It doesn't stretch my brain past its limits ANY MORE.
fvkk
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

Oil! - Upton Sinclair - 9
fvkk
IwishIwasalittlegirl
Soul of the Martyr

Post by IwishIwasalittlegirl »

"Black Like You: Blackface, Whiteface, Insult and Imitation in American Popular Culture" by John Strausbaugh -- 9/10. Great read that addresses the Blackface, minstrel legacy that still influences popular culture today. The author doesn't try to demonize the phenomenon but tries to understand it in its cultural context and its lasting impact.
The key to permanent consciousness increase was a hole in the skull. To restore the full brain pulsation of infancy. The key to more consciousness is sitting in the next room over. How can I know this and not unlock the door?
caldwell.the.great
San Dimas High school football rules!

Post by caldwell.the.great »

riley-o wrote:
mithrandir wrote:
there's a quote i like about quantum mechanics, that if it doesn't shatter your psyche then you don't understand it.
A professor I once had, after explaining super-position mathematically, remarked with an Italian accent and the help of two missing teeth, "So the particle... the physicists they say it is in superposition. It is neither up nor down, neither positive nor negative, it exists as a superposition, you see... Well that's very nice, but WHAT IN THE HELL DOES IT MEAN?!"
Necrometer wrote:fucking scientists
"you can't eat a sandwich with a clenched fist."
"I wish it was programmed to feel pain....I'd like to teach Watson a lesson in street knowledge....."
http://laughtrack.wordpress.com
Spectre Vs. Rector
Map, Monitor, Surge

Post by Spectre Vs. Rector »

VALIS - Philip KDick

HORSELOVER FAT :brule:
ImageImage
Admiral Dick Fart
One Of Many Accounts

Post by Admiral Dick Fart »

Glamorama by Bret Easton Ellis - 7/10 - This pretty much takes the style Ellis had worked on in his previous books to its logical high point and conclusion. Sometimes I wondered what the hell was going on and when he was going to get to the point, but about halfway through I realized that IS the point, the reader is supposed to feel as disoriented as Victor does. I'm glad I read it after his other stuff (other than Lunar Park, which I plan to tackle in the future) otherwise this book would've had me in over my head.

Scorsese by Roger Ebert - 8/10 - Ebert's writing style is vivid and fascinating and draws the reader in immediately - even if you haven't seen some of these movies, this book will make you want to. Includes original reviews of every Scorsese film plus interviews, Q+A sessions, biographical info and second looks at some of his films. Definitely a must-have for fans of either man.
http://heavybreath.bandcamp.com
Heavy Breath, Hardcore for people who miss when Revelation and Victory were still putting out (good) shit
Chevalier Mal Fet
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Chevalier Mal Fet »

12 Months of Mao wrote:More Information Than You Require - J. Hodgeman - 7.5
Very funny, probably enjoyed it more than Areas of My Expertise, although I gave up about 200 names into the list of all living mole men. However, I would like to see Hodgeman try his hand at something with an actual story instead of just these almanacs of retarded facts. Two is alright, but a third would be pushing it.
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/john ... ssion.html
Dudes - check out my record: https://linktr.ee/illuminihilation
Steeb
Supreme Hatred

Post by Steeb »

In Harm's Way - Doug Stanton

It's the story of the USS Indianapolis. It was the World War II ship that delivered the Hiroshima bomb. After delivering the bomb to the island of Tinian it was en route to Leyte and was sunk by a Japanese submarine. The men in the boat were in the ocean for 5 days before anybody in the Navy realized they were missing. The Captain was the only Captain in US history to be court marshaled for losing his ship.

I give it a 10...great book.
"Thinking about B-ramming your mom, i know she lives out here I'm gonna find her." - Double Anal
"What ever bro I own wine glasses and shit..." - Noah Thirteen
"I actually believe in God." - Lord Beguile

EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

Christopher Steiner - African Art in Transit 7/10
Pretty interesting stuff about "authenticity" and the African art market.

Webb Keane - Christian Moderns 9/10
Incredibly dense but also very good examination of Calvinist missionaries in Indonesia, with special emphasis on "semiotic ideology," ideologies about communication, agency, and materiality.

Saba Mahmood - Politics of Piety 8/10
Rethinking agency through an examination of women's participation in the Islamic Revival in Egypt.
ibn Horowitz
Electric Lucifer

Post by ibn Horowitz »

The Dain Curse - Dashiell Hammett: 7/10
The Violent Bear it Away - Flannery O'Connor: 9/10
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

Erica Bornstein -Spirit of Development 6/10
It's about Christian development NGOs in Zimbabwe. It was very shallow in the theory department.

Roberto Esposito - Bios 5/10
This is of some interest for people really into the Foucault/Agamben biopolitics thing. Ambitious, but poorly developed. There's no "there" there.
IwishIwasalittlegirl
Soul of the Martyr

Post by IwishIwasalittlegirl »

Angel Dust Apocalypse by Jeremy Robert Johnson

A quick, brain-candy read for those looking for something entertaining. Short stories that range in subject matter from men constructing cock-roach suits to survive a nuclear winter, to an abortive rebirthing machine that changes fetishistic diaper-wearing men into deformed children. It's an easy, interesting read but it's doubtful you'll read it again.

6.5/10
The key to permanent consciousness increase was a hole in the skull. To restore the full brain pulsation of infancy. The key to more consciousness is sitting in the next room over. How can I know this and not unlock the door?
Barcass Grinder
I hate my life.

Post by Barcass Grinder »

A Child Called It - David Pelzer
The Lost Boy - David Pelzer
A Man Named David - David Pelzer

8/10 for the whole trilogy, entertaining from start to finish. The first two books would make a great movie if anyone had the balls to do it properly and not all "Lifetime" like.
ibn Horowitz
Electric Lucifer

Post by ibn Horowitz »

The Moon is Down - John Steinbeck: 8/10
10/10 if I were living in an occupied country.
12 Months of Mao
opinionated sumbitch

Post by 12 Months of Mao »

Concrete - Thomas Bernhard - 6.5
Sort of an Austrian Kafka, but without that sense of bitter humor. Also reminded me quite a bit of Hunger by Knut Hamsun in the way that the madness of the main character was very circular and self-fulfilling. However, I feel like that would have come across better if I'd just read this in one sitting instead of splitting it up on lunch breaks. It's only 156 pages and one reading probably would have let the whole thing gain more momentum. I'll be reading this again on a day off.
"I am a high-IQ mentally retarded adult, and bring to bear on intellectual pursuits the demonic energy which characterizes my species!" - Drinky Crow
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Blood Meridian - 10/10

Honestly there were a few things that didn't work for me in this but it was due to flaws of my character, certainly not any fault of the book, which is flawless.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
altars of radness
Olde Timer

Post by altars of radness »

I'm just about done Creation by Gore Vidal. More infinitely detailed historic fiction about the Persian Empire and its dealings with Greece, India and China. It's good, and has all the requisite humor, irony and hypocrisy, but it's not as interesting as Lincoln, 1876 or Empire, although strangely enough it probably says as much about America as any of those books do.

7/10
Erik13 wrote:Does anyone have pics of Ron shirtless?
http://teenagedesires.bandcamp.com
http://mockduck.bandcamp.com
Phantos
Methods for Attaining Extreme Altitudes

Post by Phantos »

good shit. 7.75/10
Phritz
I'm not very smart.

Post by Phritz »

12 Months of Mao wrote:Concrete - Thomas Bernhard - 6.5
Sort of an Austrian Kafka, but without that sense of bitter humor. Also reminded me quite a bit of Hunger by Knut Hamsun in the way that the madness of the main character was very circular and self-fulfilling. However, I feel like that would have come across better if I'd just read this in one sitting instead of splitting it up on lunch breaks. It's only 156 pages and one reading probably would have let the whole thing gain more momentum. I'll be reading this again on a day off.
woah, i'm really impressed to find some bernhard on here.
while i did enjoy "beton" (concrete) a lot. it's one of his later works, in which he already was noticeably moody, meaning old and grumpy and most of his stories are about alienated intellectuals who try to accomplish something (like writing a text or so), but are hindered by things around them.
his early novels are definitely more recommended for people who are new to his writings and to non-austrian people (the older he got, the more space he dedicated for stabs on austrian society). "frost" and "kalkwerk" (lime works) would be the one's i'd recommend. the topics are similar, but his focus was still on the story and not on his way of writing like later - he had a unique way of writing the same words over and over again, like some kind of machine. i really wonder how much of his work is translatable... but he is very popular in france, so i guess it works sometimes.
he definitely is no kafka - he never has this dreamlike absurdity, he is always very down to earth in his stories -, i think he's more like beckett, just bernhard's characters are much more malignant and most times very much themselves to blame for their isolation. maybe he somewhat like bukowski in spirit, although completely sober and anti-emotional.
rīdoonrīmenbā
12 Months of Mao
opinionated sumbitch

Post by 12 Months of Mao »

Phritz wrote:stuff about Bernhard
I figured that you might have some familiarity with Berhnard. My roommate passed this book on to me. I've also tried to read Gargoyles, but that was also on my lunch breaks and as soon as I got to the Prince's uninterrupted monologue I had to give up in favor of something with chapters. I really do feel that I need to sit down and read his works in one go. I'll definitely be adding your recommendations to my list as I would like to see him work with more direction. I don't know where Gargoyles figures into his bibliography, but that featured a more defined story set of characters than Concrete. As for how it translates, the main character was definitely very repetitive and focused on certain things, so the obsessive loop of his brain comes across.

And yeah, Beckett is definitely a more accurate comparison. I was thinking of both Kafka and Berhard's obvious distaste for the societies in which they lived, but the blatant matter of fact-ness of Bernhard and Beckett is very similar. Beckett's another author who has given me trouble. I'm just no good with streams of uninterrupted text.
"I am a high-IQ mentally retarded adult, and bring to bear on intellectual pursuits the demonic energy which characterizes my species!" - Drinky Crow
Phritz
I'm not very smart.

Post by Phritz »

12 Months of Mao wrote:
Phritz wrote:stuff about Bernhard
I'm just no good with streams of uninterrupted text.
haha, me neither. i can't even really remember if i ever read "verstörung" (gargoyles - a more literal translation would be: "disturbance" or "disorder") or not. some of his texts are really barely readable, for example "amras" - a guy sitting in some kind of tower thinking about selling the premises - and "watten" - a doctor on his way to play cards with some neighbors.
the wikipedia description is pretty accurate: a hundred-page monologue by an eccentric, paranoid man, a relentlessly flowing cascade of words that is classic Bernhard: the furious logorrhea is a mesmeric rant

but luckily not all of his texts are like that. there are 5 autobiographical works, about him growing up in salzburg (that's where i'm from too) during the world war - those are pretty normal, stylistically, and humourous. then there are the super-repetive works. his later work ("concrete" is pretty good example for it, i think). and a lot of drama plays, most of which were huge scandals at the time. at the time of his death bernhard was most likely the most hated person in his homeland. you couldn't believe that anymore today, but at the time his plays and writing were immensely scandalous in austria.

and i had trouble reading some of beckett's stuff too. i absolutely love his trilogy. but still i haven't managed to read some of his other books, like "texts about nothing" and others.
rīdoonrīmenbā
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

father of lies wrote:Carlin - When Will Jesus Bring The Pork Chops? - 7

Live>books
Yeah, maybe, but Brain Droppings is way, way better.

I put down Pork Chops because he kept going on and on about euphemisms...
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.