The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by Kurt Russell's Beard »

guardianoftheblind wrote:my only real gripe is i wish that there was a bigger emphasis on the actual tomb raiding. what are there, 6 or something? they're all optional, short (solve one environmental puzzle and you're done), and fairly easy.
That was my only real complaint. Well, that and the game felt too short. But as far as a cinematic and empathetic experience, this game rules. That part where...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
...Lara is running from the Solarii stronghold to get to the chopper had me sliding off my seat totally tense. And there's a part where she finally starts to get angry and starts yelling at the bad guys, she's fed up, she pushes past her fear and wants blood...I started yelling out loud at that part. Most games have capable male protagonists who show no fear. Lara is human and afraid, and that's what it takes to feel courageous. Very cool.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

Pisscubes wrote:Got play another hour of Tomb Raider earlier this evening. Good shit. So far I feel like the balance of combat, climbing and puzzles is really fucking good. In fact, it's really re-enforcing my feelings that despite how much like the second one-- Uncharted really is kind of bland game-play wise. Tomb Raider doesn't look as good as Uncharted, but it has a leveling system for character and ammos, I think the climbing just as fun-- and it doesn't make you pause for some bullshit animation every five seconds as douchebag "almost falls"-- the combat is far better in my opinion (the cover system is much more natural and you don't do the turtle thing every five seconds of poking your head out) and the puzzles are much better.
100% agree with that, except i think the climbing/jumping is WAY more fun in TR because you actually use your abilities to explore and find shit. do you ever get to truly explore in uncharted? i honestly can't remember much of it, if any at all. i mean the only thing to really find in that game is more ammo and those dumb statues that do absolutely nothing

GOTB, that sucks about the tombs. i've only found two so far and thought they were both cool, wish there were more.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

Kurt Russell's Beard wrote:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
...Lara is running from the Solarii stronghold to get to the chopper had me sliding off my seat totally tense. And there's a part where she finally starts to get angry and starts yelling at the bad guys, she's fed up, she pushes past her fear and wants blood...I started yelling out loud at that part. Most games have capable male protagonists who show no fear. Lara is human and afraid, and that's what it takes to feel courageous. Very cool.
i feel like they took really strong steps in that direction but kept holding themselves back by making her a super competent murderer after 30 seconds of holding a gun

i know a AAA game isn't really the place to challenge those kinds of gaming conventions but it's still a shame
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

Kurt Russell's Beard wrote:Do any of you guys have programming/scripting experience?

Not game-related. Just for computers in general.
I got pretty far along with some stuff. I worked for some time on designing my own game using a program called Adventure Game Studio, which is based on C. You have to code everything yourself, but it was a real joy.

I really need to finish that shit someday. I wrote all the MIDI music myself and all of the backgrounds were hand-drawn rooms. The hurdle that crippled me was drawing frames for character movement.

Also got proficient in QBasic back when I was a kid, not that that means anything today hahah :)

Why do you ask?
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

james wrote:
Kurt Russell's Beard wrote:Do any of you guys have programming/scripting experience?

I got pretty far along with some stuff. I worked for some time on designing my own game using a program called Adventure Game Studio, which is based on C. You have to code everything yourself, but it was a real joy.

I really need to finish that shit someday. I wrote all the MIDI music myself and all of the backgrounds were hand-drawn rooms. The hurdle that crippled me was drawing frames for character movement.

Also got proficient in QBasic back when I was a kid, not that that means anything today hahah :)

Why do you ask?
Might have some positions opening up at my company for performance game testing, but it requires scripting and coding skills. For any of you in the Bay Area with that skill set.
frost
(ಥ﹏ಥ)

Post by frost »

You work for Nvidia right? sounds cool and it is in my field, but I'm definitely not in the bay area.
DEAD THREAD, LOCKED
-Admin'd
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

frost wrote:You work for Nvidia right?
Yessir.
ThePhillyExperiment
ultimate EVIL

Post by ThePhillyExperiment »

Kurt Russell's Beard wrote:
james wrote:

Why do you ask?
Might have some positions opening up at my company for performance game testing, but it requires scripting and coding skills. For any of you in the Bay Area with that skill set.
:(
brobot wrote: "Some guy asked me if I was a robot...like a Relapse robot? I have no idea what he was talking about."
GLEN BENTON wrote: ONLY THING IS I LOOK AT THE GIRLS AT THE MOVIES, AND THERE BETWEEN 10 AND 14!
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

bay area thrash scripting
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

Finished Tomb Raider. Awesome game is awesome. It was good finally ...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
seeing her with 2 pistols
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
... for 2 seconds
No big complaints except the one mentioned already, not much emphasis in tomb raiding.

And ...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Fuck that Reyes bitch
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
And fuck Roth for fucking her and fathering her a daughter, Roth was awesome, he could do better
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Well, Lara hates Tombs, remember? Heh.

It's really funny how everyone loves this game now. I agree with everything you guys have said, especially how the gameplay makes Uncharted look dull by comparison (although I thought U3 made itself look dull on its own just fine, anyway), but remember when everyone was rolling their eyes at the notion of a "reboot" and talking about how the series was dead in the water anyway?

Of course I don't know what I'm talking about here anyway because the entire TR series falls slap into my dark years of no gaming, but it's kind of cool to see this can still happen with a major gaming franchise.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

Pisscubes wrote:... Laura "Triple D" Croft ...

... Laura ...
You deserve a slap, maybe two.
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

You should start the game from scratch again .... out of principal.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Krieg wrote:principal
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

spacehamster wrote:
Krieg wrote:principal
:yerma:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Pisscubes wrote:Hahaha! Saints Row 4 is happening and you get super-powers.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/15/ ... ut-trailer

I think this is a fucking amazing idea. How can we make this game more over the top? Give the scumbag player fucking super powers. :tup:
Image :beer: Image

I'm pre-ordering that when Amazon gets off its ass.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

spacehamster wrote:It's really funny how everyone loves this game now. I agree with everything you guys have said, especially how the gameplay makes Uncharted look dull by comparison (although I thought U3 made itself look dull on its own just fine, anyway), but remember when everyone was rolling their eyes at the notion of a "reboot" and talking about how the series was dead in the water anyway?
hey man, i specifically remember saying it looked cool when they showed it at E3 last year. Wang on the other hand....
Wang Mandu wrote:Haha, Uncharted 4 err.....Tomb Raider looks terrible too. Guy firing a machine gun and the bullets go everywhere but her.
8) also, i really hope the rumors of a crystal dynamics soul reaver reboot is true. i've got confidence in them after TR
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Spooky Apparition wrote: hey man, i specifically remember saying it looked cool when they showed it at E3 last year.
Well, I didn't say everyone. Wait, I did say everyone. Anyway, I didn't mean this as a dig on anyone who said the game looked stupid before it came out, what matters to me with all the negativity in gaming, especially when it comes to AAA games, it's nice when something like this happens.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

nah, i get what you meant. it's definitely weird/surprising in a good way that basically everyone here who's played it is saying good things about a tomb raider game in freaking 2013. i still vividly remember getting tomb raider in 1996 (and absolutely sucking ass at it), so playing this game has been a strange nostalgia trip

of course... this surely opens the door to even MORE reboots. who knows what horror awaits
Let Us Help You
DO THE DEW!

Post by Let Us Help You »

Spooky Apparition wrote:also, i really hope the rumors of a crystal dynamics soul reaver reboot is true. i've got confidence in them after TR
This would be amazing, but... no Tony Jay :(
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

:tup: to the Apocalypse Now Martin Sheen head cover with stuff over it poking out of the water.
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

More Stories, More Weapons, More Characters. Extend the narrative and adventure with the BioShock Infinite Season Pass.

Get three add-ons for the price of two, plus an instant bonus on Day 1 with The Early Bird Special Pack, only available to Season Pass holders.

The Instant Day 1 bonus pack contains four pieces of exclusive gear, a Machine Gun Damage Upgrade, a Pistol Damage Upgrade, a gold skin for both weapons and five Infusion bottles that allow players to increase their health, their shield durability or their ability to use Vigors by increasing the quantity of Salts they can carry.

Note: All Season Pass content will be available for individual purchase by March 2014.

Note: The instant bonus can only be obtained by purchasing a Season Pass.
god I miss just buying video games. I wonder if I spend an extra 20 dollars on the next mario game I'll have star power on indefinitely.
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

what a CUNT
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

messed around in TR's MP for a few hours and got like 9/15 of the MP trophies... so naturally, i summoned my inner riley and thought, "pfft, platinuming this won't be shit."

turns out one of the trophies/achievements is leveling up to level 60 FOUR GODDAMN TIMES, which would take at least 100 hours, and that's if you're good and racking up tons of XP. in a game with a tacked-on multiplayer.

not that it really matters, i'm mostly just surprised at how insane that is. someone try to name a trophy/achievement dumber or more ridiculous than this?
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

Spooky Apparition wrote:not that it really matters, i'm mostly just surprised at how insane that is. someone try to name a trophy/achievement dumber or more ridiculous than this?
Seriously 2.0
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do