The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by The Bill »

Luca Blight wrote:so I'm due to get a new bame soon...between the two, should I get Mass Effect 2, or Final Fantasy XIII? or Resonance of Fate...
ME2 without a doubt unless you are a dirty Gook or fudge packer.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote:
Luca Blight wrote:so I'm due to get a new bame soon...between the two, should I get Mass Effect 2, or Final Fantasy XIII? or Resonance of Fate...
ME2 without a doubt unless you are a dirty Gook or fudge packer.
:tup:
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Post by 43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W »

ME2 and FF 13 are both awesome, boh totally different. Get both. ROF isn't out until next week.
pleasuretokill
Olde Timer

Post by pleasuretokill »

If you have beaten ME 1 and don't get ME 2, well, you are not very good at making decisions...
"Did your parents put and Atari 2600 in a gold box and wrap it with Genesis paper to fuck with you?" - Pieclun
"theres a new Camo stronger than black ice, its better tasting than all the rest. its 12.5% and tastes sorta like cream soda mixed with piss. i like it!" - ghost boner
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Luca Blight wrote:I've beaten ME1. twice through. looks like I'll be getting ME2 next
Dude, if you liked ME1 enough to play it twice, there's no way you can skip ME2.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

The Playstation "Move" : Clever name. All these motion controllers need to fuck off. If they start becoming mandatory for consoles, I'm switching completely over to PC.
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

Wang Mandu wrote:The Playstation "Move" : Clever name.
Why don't you "Move" to another board
ImageImageImage
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

No Cunting Elves
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

milkmandan wrote:
Wang Mandu wrote:The Playstation "Move" : Clever name.
Why don't you "Move" to another board
Not your best one but no internet meme speak. Good work on that.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Wang Mandu wrote:All these motion controllers need to fuck off
It's not so much the motion controllers that I mind as it is the fact that nobody seems to be able to develop anything worth playing for it. If this turns the PS3 into another Wii, I'm seriously going to have to fly to Japan and take some people's balls.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

Man... people always jump to the worst possible conclusion. Controllers will never be phased out. These motion thingies will only be supplemental. Whether they become long lasting or not is up in the air.
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

spacehamster wrote:It's not so much the motion controllers that I mind as it is the fact that nobody seems to be able to develop anything worth playing for it.
Resident Evil on the Wii is kinda OK and the controls are not that bad. But generally I agree with you, the gimmick lasts only a little bit and you are there stuck with crappy controls thinking you are part of the revolution.
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Friendly Goatus wrote:Man... people always jump to the worst possible conclusion. Controllers will never be phased out. These motion thingies will only be supplemental. Whether they become long lasting or not is up in the air.
Wiis are still selling like hotcakes even though the console is fucking ancient at this point. Honestly, I'm surprised games like Mass Effect 2 even still get made. The industry does seem to have decided the non-casual gaming public is a large enough demographic for them to keep pouring development resources into, and that's survived the existence of the Wii for so long at this point that it looks like it's going to stay that way, but Sony and Microsoft developing motion controllers means a step in the direction of more casual games, and that worries me. Because personally, I don't understand why anyone is still making these big-budget story games that seem to get more elaborate every year. I'm sure glad they do, but I don't know why.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

spacehamster wrote:Because personally, I don't understand why anyone is still making these big-budget story games that seem to get more elaborate every year. I'm sure glad they do, but I don't know why.
because there's a market for them ? http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177757

wii and xbox have vastly different target markets. there might be a little crossover but what drives sales of wiifit is absolutely not what drives sales of uncharted 2. video game producers want everybody buying something, which is why they still make big budget story-driven games. people buy them. i'm not sure why that would be at all difficult to understand ?
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Friendly Goatus wrote:Man... people always jump to the worst possible conclusion. Controllers will never be phased out. These motion thingies will only be supplemental. Whether they become long lasting or not is up in the air.
CONSOLES ARE DOOMED!

Oh I totally overreacted. I've always had a huge dislike for new console peripherals. Sony's looks (I said looks, fanboys) like a Wii ripoff which I have no interest in. Natal kind of looks like a fancier version of this:

You're right though. In a year or two, I might be enjoying these if the software is good enough and I don't think Sony or Microsoft is stupid enough to make all games feature them exclusively.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

riley-o wrote:video game producers want everybody buying something, which is why they still make big budget story-driven games. people buy them. i'm not sure why that would be at all difficult to understand ?
I don't see how it matters that there's very little overlap. If you can make a game that costs half as much to make and will sell twice as many copies, does it matter that you're reaching a demographic that you otherwise wouldn't reach? I'm saying I don't see why the big publishers are even interested in catering to the geeks anymore if they can make more money selling shitty Wiifit games to housewives.

But then the best selling game of all time is MW2 and not a Wii game, so... yeah.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Geeks buy more games/dlc/add-ons/arcade games than casual users?
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Wang Mandu wrote:Geeks buy more games/dlc/add-ons/arcade games than casual users?
Yeah, I guess the math has to work with DLC and the total volume of product you can sell. These Wiifit games are probably a terrible crapshoot.

I mean, like I said, I'm glad we're still getting real games, it's just that the market for this Wii garbage is so big that it seems a bit threatening.
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

you don't know what you're talking about
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

The casual gamer market will be saturated sooner or later, they will continue to exist but the profitability won't be the same forever.

And as long as the "hardcore" gamers exist someone will continue doing games, the quality of them will depend on the size of the market. Simple market rules. This is as well the explanation why the PC gaming market continues to shrink and the console market is OK. And it explains as well why most of the game development has been slowly incorporated into the big publishers and the renaissance of the small indie market.
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

zombiehead wrote:you don't know what you're talking about
Explain.
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

as riley mentioned, there can be an audience for both types of gamers. Nintendo always hit both audiences, thats why they're #1 right now. Microsoft and Sony are now trying to get a piece of that pie.. a little late, but it doesn't mean they'll stop production on Halo 4 or Uncarted 3 because of it.

DLC is only profitable for a small amount of games.
Wang Mandu wrote:Geeks buy more games/dlc/add-ons/arcade games than casual users?
Not true. The casual audience is spread across a bunch of games, they might not always crack the top 20 in game sales, but that doesn't mean these games are not selling. Lego Star Wars for the Wii never cracked the charts last year but it ended up selling over 2,000,000 copies, for example. Wii games tend to have long legs and sell small amounts over a large period of time. Wii's software's sales dwarfs that of 360 and PS3 right now

Hardcore games appear to be big sellers because you always hear about games like Halo 3 or Uncharted 2 or Mass Effect 2 selling millions on its first week but that's because geek gamers tend to flock to the one single game that month and every other "hardcore" game gets lost in the shuffle.. You don't heard about the hardcore games that bomb.

That's why that Michael Pachter guy is a douche because that's how he thinks. "Well, Mass Effect 2 outsold Mario Bros this month, that means the Wii is dead" whatever
Last edited by zombiehead on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

:tup:
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

So basically Clint is saying we should be worried, and my original post about this was correct.