The price of peace...

Music posts are a bannable offense.
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR
Threads Endlessly Scrolled

Re: The price of peace...

Post by ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR »

Necrometer wrote::tup: that's an angle, appreciated

don't think that I haven't considered and soaked in those darksided outlooks - I am aware of the big picture

still, there is nuance to our actions... maybe this thread is about how (quickly) we're going to inevitably kill each other

crossing over into vueuvueuv territory...
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR wrote: ok... listen up vueuvueuv, i am about to tell you the truth of the world. now listen up and i am only going to say it once.
if blood is not spilled each day upon the earth... the earth will stop existing.
its the truth,it is canon law for all humans, and you cant escape it.

now... you don't want to stop the earth from existing, do you ?

http://reeelapse.com/viewtopic.php?f=1& ... ay#p999077
I AM AN INTELLECTUAL FUCKING COMBATANT OF GOD, I AM TOO TOUGH TO CARE WHAT YOU THINK.

caldwell.the.great wrote:but no other member here does exactly what ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR does, not even the other trolls.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR wrote:
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR wrote: ok... listen up vueuvueuv, i am about to tell you the truth of the world. now listen up and i am only going to say it once.
if blood is not spilled each day upon the earth... the earth will stop existing.

tweetard, i know you're a massive idiot, like idiocy to a degree few of us would have dared imagine possible, but did you seriously just quote yourself saying "i am only going to say it once" and then the thing you were only going to say once ?
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR

Post by ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR »

riley-o wrote:

tweetard, i know you're a massive idiot, like idiocy to a degree few of us would have dared imagine possible, but did you seriously just quote yourself saying "i am only going to say it once" and then the thing you were only going to say once ?
no, i did not.
I AM AN INTELLECTUAL FUCKING COMBATANT OF GOD, I AM TOO TOUGH TO CARE WHAT YOU THINK.

caldwell.the.great wrote:but no other member here does exactly what ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR does, not even the other trolls.
The Torsion
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Torsion »

Necrometer wrote:I am generally in a state of agitation...
Haha,
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

kale
Spiritual Retreat Master
Zombie Apocalypse

Post by Spiritual Retreat Master »

Necrometer wrote:I am generally in a state of agitation over the perpetual US military presence overseas. Pretty much everything we've done in my lifetime (since '80) seems like a retarded, paranoid, pre-emptive, chest-beating waste of money, but since we can't ever know what would happen otherwise, I can't have certainty that this approach is without merit. But it remains my gut instinct.
Please clarify your remarks. First, it is nearly inconceivable that during the first decade of his or her life a human would be able to--much less want to--pontificate about socio-political and military strategies. I'm struck by your declaration that you've always interpreted the U.S. military as a perpetually irresponsible and impaired Alpha-male. I wonder at what point (i.e., age) you displaced your direct childhood experiences onto the U.S. military. Such displacement is a classic example of what many do when they interpret a situation, experience, or ongoing lifestyle as threatening, corrosive, or damaging. The displacement predictably allows the individual to continue to remain "stuck" in the real or psychological state of trauma. As a result, by the time one reaches early adulthood, impassioned "beliefs" about, say, war, religion, politics, etc. emerge with great fervor. You see, it's easy to talk about something as detached from your "direct experience" as U.S. military strategies. In reality, you haven't a clue about this system, beyond what you read and hear through dubious sources. Chances are that you don't give two shits about the U.S. government, that is, once we trudge beyond your smoke and mirrors. You do, however, continue to swim in the undying pain of whatever your early experiences did or did not do. Take heed, seek help! Be a responsible man. Recognize your compulsive ramblings about military strategies as your cry for help. Your "gut instinct," my friend, is that you're in pain and have been for many years. Resist the evolutionary tendency to stunt your psychological growth and begin your transformation. Peace. SRM.
The tasty meth of yesterday dissipates upon my tongue of tomorrow.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

oh right, my uncle mouthfucking me at age 7 = no blood for oil

fuck off
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Spiritual Retreat Master
Zombie Apocalypse

Post by Spiritual Retreat Master »

Necrometer wrote:oh right, my uncle mouthfucking me at age 7 = no blood for oil

fuck off
Unless you explicitly remember your uncle molesting you, your reply is rather doltish and, again, predictably defensive. The formative and impressionable early experiences I refer to are subtle and covert rather than the blatantly abusive example you gave. I'm confident that you're more perceptive than your reply. I also know that such a sensitive topic as this needs to marinate. I'll be here for you, impressionable lad.
The tasty meth of yesterday dissipates upon my tongue of tomorrow.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Necrometer wrote:Apathy towards dying people? Welcome to Smegma.
I'm not apathetic towards this, I'm just pointing out that you're asking about the ethics of something that is obviously fundamentally unethical.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

spacehamster wrote:I'm just pointing out that you're asking about the ethics of something that is obviously fundamentally unethical.
I don't think minimizing the number of war-induced casualties on the planet is unethical, would you agree? And if these seemingly pointless skirmishes in the third world are actually contributing to such a minimization, then NOT participating in them would be unethical.
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Post by Zerohero »

Necrometer wrote:I am generally in a state of agitation over the perpetual US military presence overseas. Pretty much everything we've done in my lifetime (since '80) seems like a retarded, paranoid, pre-emptive, chest-beating waste of money, but since we can't ever know what would happen otherwise, I can't have certainty that this approach is without merit. But it remains my gut instinct.

An extremely stupid but well-educated (re: foreign affairs) acquaintance of mine claims that in spite of the constant militarism I bitch about, the world is - overall - a less violent place than ever. He claims that there's more "peace" now than ever, and there are less deaths from violent conflict than ever.

Is anyone willing to back this guy up and help convince me that there's any way life in the US would be WORSE with the $1 trillion spent in the middle east since 2001 re-applied to something more productive than fucking around in the desert? I have no idea how much loot we've sent to Israel but I'd pull the plug on that instanly as well. Unless you can convince me otherwise. Why not just have a department of defense that does what it's supposed to - defend?

Everyone with jobses in the defense industry, and thats lots of menses, would be worse off....they vote, and they have representatives backing their interests.

Tuff shit on them I say, but that's got more to do with perpetuation of it all than the "keeping us safe" hoopliehawhaw.
rileyo wrote:i like that she's wearing high heels &stockings to get fucked by dead pigs,that's some real forward thinking metal right there
LordDarksoul wrote:Thanks for the concern, Fucktractor.
BUNGVOX wrote:i don't want metallica to shit their pants. i want metallica to shit MY pants.
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

Necrometer wrote:
spacehamster wrote:I'm just pointing out that you're asking about the ethics of something that is obviously fundamentally unethical.
I don't think minimizing the number of war-induced casualties on the planet is unethical, would you agree? And if these seemingly pointless skirmishes in the third world are actually contributing to such a minimization, then NOT participating in them would be unethical.

i think it's a cop-out, so that the person who entertains such notions can feel better about themselves via an attempting to moralize an intrinsically amoral situation.
"FUCK YES MORE LAWS RIGHT NOW ALL THE TIME! LAW LAW LAW!" - Geeheeb
"OH I FORGOT, MORE JAILS TOO RIGHT NOW! FUCK YEAH JAIL JAIL JAIL!" - Geeheeb

"I don't recall quoting you as a shitbrain specifically... the shitbrain experience is not exactly the same for every shitbrain" -big rossman
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Necrometer wrote:
Nobody's participating in this shit for any other purpose than to make money. If it war wasn't so damn profitable, there wouldn't be any more "war-induced casualties" because nobody would start any wars. The end.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

Chevalier Mal Fet wrote:I'm glad you don't think that way anymore, no wonder we agree more lately, but I find it really hard to believe that a lot of people on the left were actively pro-Al Queda, or pro-Hussein, and only for the reason that either would oppose the US.
No, you're right, I wasn't being clear. I pretty much meant this attitude here:
Necrometer wrote:I was of that stance... shitholes can remain shitholes forever as long as they're not fucking with other countries. I don't believe in any universal human rights; if you're in a sovereign state that has some fucked up policies, other countries should not jump in there just because they think X practice is wrong. Fucking Prime Directive. I'm not pro-Hussein, I'm anti-interference. People cite him killing/torturing to get what he wants, but our country does the same shit... but to other people's citizens. At least Hussein kept his affairs internalized AFAIK.
It's the ultimate FUCK YOU, GOT MINE attitude. Hahaha sucks to be them! Glad I'm not brown! They must like being crushed under the boot heel of horrifying inhuman monsters!*

Basically, I was and still am very frustrated that so many people are happy to ignore incredible evil if doing something about it seems too hard. I also started getting this feeling that there is literally no foreign policy the US could adopt to counter dictatorships that would be considered acceptable or just. I'm not saying this is the case, just the feeling that I was getting and that lead to more reactionary opinions. Gah. I really don't know what the answer is to oppressive totalitarian regimes but I guess I would just like to see people who are generally on my side wrt human rights at least give some ideas and stop with the 'not my country, not my problem' horseshit.
Chevalier Mal Fet wrote:A detective may want to understand the serial killer's past, motivations, any connection with the victim that may provoke him, the best way to find, capture and elicit a confession and none of these things make the person pro-serial killer (except Dexter). It makes them a damn fine detective.
I understand this and agree with it but I will also say that this attitude really only seems to come out when addressing Islamic violence. No one gives a shit why anti-abortion terrorists feel compelled to gun down doctors, you know what I mean?

*I've heard people say pretty much exactly this, btw. "Those people need strong leaders, it's their culture, they don't want freedom, its not really oppression," etc etc
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

of course they dont go into why crazy christians bomb abortion clinics. if they did, they'd have to have an actual discussion about why it's impossible to have a reasonable discussion about abortion with someone who honestly buys into the christian faith at any level. and then how could big business get all of the legislation that it writes passed, since the majority of the republicans in the past have gotten elected on either a business or moral platform?

oh, that's right, start paying off the democrats. hey, i hear amex is a bank now: good thing they were bidens biggest contributor so we could bail them out.

"price of peace"

there has never, not once, EVER been anything that a reasonable person could call peace amongst men (much less the rest of the mammals). and there never, ever will be. not as long as mammals have emotions and people are placing each other into abstract superior and inferior positions.

"I don't recall quoting you as a shitbrain specifically... the shitbrain experience is not exactly the same for every shitbrain" -big rossman
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

wut
kale
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Dead Walrus... you sound like a chest beating USA USA USA bigot with these characterizations. Freedom is good and tyranny is bad? Really? Do we really have that absolute freedom? Every nation will have its internal injustices from the POV of some outside observer, and I am not sure it's EVER another nation's place to step in when those injustices remain internal. Imagine if some superpower tried Obama and had him hanged because abortion is legal in this country... it seems insane but in my opinion it's just as arbitrary a reason as anything Hussein did. We carry out corporal punishment, and so did Hussein - he calls the shots, and here sometimes one man does or sometimes many men do. There's no line to be drawn. These human rights and ethical calls are a swamp of arbitrarity and the only way I can imagine to de-mire is to let each nation do what it wants... internally. The BEST situation is one where everyone who wishes to leave are free to, but very few places practice this, e.g. in the case of a criminal. Exile should ALWAYS be a choice for a criminal or some other unwanted person/group.
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

I'm sure not reading this whole thread, but in response to the first post:

It's true that generally, a fewer percentage of humans today die violent deaths than they did, say, before the industrial revolution. Most people also live longer, healthier lives. These statistics are the result of the fetishization of population science, and metrics that measure human well-being as a whole and in the abstract. This has led several people, most prominently Steven Pinker, to claim that the modern world is a less violent place.

While this is generally true, I think you're totally right to question that that has shit all to do with American hegemony, or the extraordinary violence that we directly commit or indirectly support. If you think that the US supports states with robust public health, economies that care for the majority of the population, or even "democracy" and "human rights," check out Pinochet (or one could even point to apartheid South Africa and Saddam Hussein before we pulled a 180 on them).

Also, while this is generally true of the world's population as a whole, certain parts of the world have had their life expectancy radically decreased, especially in the last several decades. While perhaps most of the deaths in impoverished nations are not from axe blows or whatever, I think that death from lack of health infrastructure, treatable diseases, and the destruction of subsistence economy unambiguously represents "violence," especially when the structural conditions that lead to this degradation of living conditions is often the direct culmination of a 100+ years of state and corporate imperialism. I really can't convince myself that a world with these exaggerated forms of structural inequality is "less violent" than some arbitrary account of what the human past was like.
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

Economic violence is still violence.
fvkk
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

u said wut i said
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

I was agreeing!
fvkk
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO wrote:I'm sure not reading this whole thread, but in response to the first post:

It's true that generally, a fewer percentage of humans today die violent deaths than they did, say, before the industrial revolution. Most people also live longer, healthier lives. These statistics are the result of the fetishization of population science, and metrics that measure human well-being as a whole and in the abstract. This has led several people, most prominently Steven Pinker, to claim that the modern world is a less violent place.

While this is generally true, I think you're totally right to question that that has shit all to do with American hegemony, or the extraordinary violence that we directly commit or indirectly support. If you think that the US supports states with robust public health, economies that care for the majority of the population, or even "democracy" and "human rights," check out Pinochet (or one could even point to apartheid South Africa and Saddam Hussein before we pulled a 180 on them).

Also, while this is generally true of the world's population as a whole, certain parts of the world have had their life expectancy radically decreased, especially in the last several decades. While perhaps most of the deaths in impoverished nations are not from axe blows or whatever, I think that death from lack of health infrastructure, treatable diseases, and the destruction of subsistence economy unambiguously represents "violence," especially when the structural conditions that lead to this degradation of living conditions is often the direct culmination of a 100+ years of state and corporate imperialism. I really can't convince myself that a world with these exaggerated forms of structural inequality is "less violent" than some arbitrary account of what the human past was like.
:tup:
Broken Into Pieces
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Broken Into Pieces »

Wang Mandu wrote:
Wang Mandu wrote:Or the countless overseas bases in peaceful countries. God I hate the US military.
a "peaceful country" such as ?
Uhhh, Japan, South Korea, Italy, Malaysia, Netherlands, Germany, etc. I'd love/dread to see how much money gets wasted maintaining all these bases.
hmm....more than half the ones you listed had a history of violence.
History. As in, not now. As in, why the hell does America need troops in most of these countries.

I would remove South Korea from that list though, for sure. Not sure how it can be considered a peaceful country while officially at war with the only country it shares a border with. Honestly, I'm not sure a withdrawal of all US military from Korea would be a good idea; I have a feeling Kim Jong-il is just batshit insane enough that if Amerka didn't have an interest in this country then he'd start some real shit. I would, however, love to see a rule restricting where/when US military can go off-base, because most of them are assholes.
Image Image
Xbox 360: Pabo Byungshin
¡Viva los Rudos!
oskorei noise industries
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

especially since we, too, are still technically at war with them. we've merely signed an armistice and entered into a cessation of hostilities, not a formal declaration of the end of the war.

Chevalier Mal Fet
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Chevalier Mal Fet »

DeadWalrus wrote:Basically, I was and still am very frustrated that so many people are happy to ignore incredible evil if doing something about it seems too hard. I also started getting this feeling that there is literally no foreign policy the US could adopt to counter dictatorships that would be considered acceptable or just. I'm not saying this is the case, just the feeling that I was getting and that lead to more reactionary opinions.

I think you may have misinterpreted as indifference to suffering, a criticism of the sincerity of the Neocons, they want America to be a Superman with Gaydar for Petroleum Reserves. If people on the left questioned the sincerity of the right's sudden existence of pity for oppressed people in such a way that it appeared to be indifferent to that suffering I think that might be more indicative of the breakdown in discourse than anything else.

Left: El Salvador, Nicaragua, Cambodia, Tibet, etc....
Right: Who gives a shit you faggot hippie?

Right: Iraq, Iran, Venezuela, etc....
Left: Oh, Suddenly you give a shit?
I understand this and agree with it but I will also say that this attitude really only seems to come out when addressing Islamic violence. No one gives a shit why anti-abortion terrorists feel compelled to gun down doctors, you know what I mean?

I do.... solely because my interest is in stopping those people, just like I would hope to know Islam to stop Islamic extremists.
I've heard people say pretty much exactly this, btw. "Those people need strong leaders, it's their culture, they don't want freedom, its not really oppression," etc etc
I fucking hate that nonsense.... for example....
Freedom is good and tyranny is bad? Really? Do we really have that absolute freedom? Every nation will have its internal injustices from the POV of some outside observer, and I am not sure it's EVER another nation's place to step in when those injustices remain internal. Imagine if some superpower tried Obama and had him hanged because abortion is legal in this country... it seems insane but in my opinion it's just as arbitrary a reason as anything Hussein did. We carry out corporal punishment, and so did Hussein - he calls the shots, and here sometimes one man does or sometimes many men do. There's no line to be drawn. These human rights and ethical calls are a swamp of arbitrarity and the only way I can imagine to de-mire is to let each nation do what it wants... internally. The BEST situation is one where everyone who wishes to leave are free to, but very few places practice this, e.g. in the case of a criminal. Exile should ALWAYS be a choice for a criminal or some other unwanted person/group.
:drooly: but great job making DW's point.
Yes, but the general trend, even for the worse off countries over a long term has been positive, you have a crisis, like HIV or the "Great Recession" and a few countries dip in life expectancy, or quality of life, or GDP or whatever, but these dips are anomalous in a generally well defined trend. I'll play the devils advocate here and argue against a side I am usually on, but you are not giving enough credit to modernity for it's successes, which corresponded to "100+ years of state and corporate imperialism".

I mean, you can say the health care infrastructure is fucked up, and I'd agree, but you can't say the world is worse off with the potential for mass distribution and delivery of anti-malarial, penicillin, clean syringes, etc...etc... Also I think you do a discredit to Pinker's theory since he specifically is speaking about death by violence and conflict. But in that spirit do you really think the poor had demonstrably more of a shot yesterday then today for advancement, stability, health, etc...
Dudes - check out my record: https://linktr.ee/illuminihilation