The Spoiler-filled thread for Final Fantasy XIII

Music posts are a bannable offense.
jakebonz
Foaming at the mouth.

Re: The Spoiler-filled thread for Final Fantasy XIII

Post by jakebonz »

guardianoftheblind wrote:so wait, you can sell collectibles for cash? i mean, i knew that, but i heard you could use them to upgrade weapons?

which is it?
Honestly, it doesn't seem like you even need to buy much of anything in this game (so far...)
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Post by 43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W »

jakebonz wrote:
guardianoftheblind wrote:so wait, you can sell collectibles for cash? i mean, i knew that, but i heard you could use them to upgrade weapons?

which is it?
Honestly, it doesn't seem like you even need to buy much of anything in this game (so far...)

On another board I got to they say Phoenix Downs get rare and expensive. good idea to stock up early, I guess.
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Aster Protoflrian= FUCKING TOUGH! Can't beat the fucker.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

Necrometer wrote:
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W wrote:Why would you need flee when you can retry battles at any time? Even if you go a few rounds in battle and you have a lot of HP left, yet you know you fucked up and aren't going to make it, you can instantly start that battle over.
God fucking dammit.
I'd think a fan of Avatar would be all about this game and what it represents. FFXIII is basically the Avatar of vidya.

Except with a much better storyline.
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

Friendly Goatus wrote:
Necrometer wrote:
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W wrote:Why would you need flee when you can retry battles at any time? Even if you go a few rounds in battle and you have a lot of HP left, yet you know you fucked up and aren't going to make it, you can instantly start that battle over.
God fucking dammit.
I'd think a fan of Avatar would be all about this game and what it represents. FFXIII is basically the Avatar of vidya.

Except with a much better & original storyline.
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

Friendly Goatus wrote:I'd think a fan of Avatar would be all about this game and what it represents. FFXIII is basically the Avatar of vidya.
Heh, you read my fucking mind. You think I wasn't grinding my teeth over smug bedroom dwellers like GotB bashing my avatardedness while pimping out this game? It's utterly incomprehensible. Movies should be movies and games should be games. You fucks are on the fast-track to Wall-E ways.
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

FFXIII = the "Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace" of video games
ImageImageImage
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

oof. harsher criticisms of anything, i have not heard...
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Necrometer wrote:
Friendly Goatus wrote:I'd think a fan of Avatar would be all about this game and what it represents. FFXIII is basically the Avatar of vidya.
Heh, you read my fucking mind. You think I wasn't grinding my teeth over smug bedroom dwellers like GotB bashing my avatardedness while pimping out this game? It's utterly incomprehensible. Movies should be movies and games should be games. You fucks are on the fast-track to Wall-E ways.
He doesn't live in a baseme- oh.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Necrometer wrote:
Man, don't limit yourself like that. "Movies should be movies and games should be games". The two mediums have long been on the fast track to merging. Mass Effect 2 is a pretty good example of this.

I was pretty skeptical when I read about this game before it's release. I didn't like some of the changes they'd made to the rpg template. But after playing it a little bit I see that they didn't make a bad game by removing or changing these elements. They just made a good game. I now realize that judging a game by how different it is from others of the same genre is kind of redundant. Why stifle progress? Games should be made to test boundaries. Stagnation is much more abhorrent to me.

Anyways, just because FFXIII shuffles things around doesn't mean that good, old-fashioned RPGs are going to disappear. There will always be a market for these games, even if it's relatively small. FFXIII can only increase the popularity of the genre as a whole.
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

Metal Gear Solid 4 is a great example of a game that meshes the two mediums well. That game was amazing.
ImageImageImage
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

milkmandan wrote:Metal Gear Solid 3 is a great example of a game that meshes the two mediums well. That game was amazing.
yeah, so true!
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

milkmandan wrote:FFXIII = the "Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace" of video games
yippeeee!!
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

Necrometer wrote:Movies should be movies and games should be games.
Blasphemy. You most than anyone here should be a pro-evolution-er. The future will prove you wrong and this sentence will join the kingdom of nonsense, together with "640K ought to be enough for anybody", "Everything that can be invented has been invented", "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home" and "This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication."
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Ghost Dad wrote:
milkmandan wrote:Uncharted 2 is a great example of a game that meshes the two mediums well. That game was amazing.
yeah, so true!
Total agreement.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
VueeeuVueeeeuV
DO NOT WANT.

Post by VueeeuVueeeeuV »

Movies and games are entirely different things. There are few twelve hour films that repeat the same shot over and over again. People have been failing at melding them for awhile and the results arenot pretty. They are not anti-thetical to eachother, one can inspire theother, but themechanics are so different that past some techniqes one fucksthe other up. They are both visual mediums that (sadly now that computer gaming which was always head and shoulders more interesting than console games is in delcine) use the same medium get their points across, but they are in no way "merging" as much as games are constantly being refined to be more effective at what they do.

Though jap games tend to be sterile, over-designed and pretentious plot and setting wise. JRPGS come in with fighting/racing/sports/rhythm/buttonpushing games as games that hold so little interest that I can not fathom how they can be called "games." So i will hurry outofthis thread.
Exterminate. EXTERMINATE!
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

You're like a blind preacher with advanced syphilis.
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Anyone beat the boss I mentioned abouve? Tried a bunch of times last night, once this morning. no dice, and I have all my shit maxed out in terms of strength and magic and what-not. This game can hand you your ass easily if you're not careful. I read up on tis boss online and people that have beaten it said it took them anywhere from 20-45 minutes to beat him, and this is just some early mid level boss. Constant paradigm shifts, constant healing.
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Am I reading this right that more FF 13 games were sold in a few days in american and Europe than in 3 months in Japan?

FFXIII Shipments Reach 5 Million Copies
As PS3, Xbox 360 versions go on sale in US, Europe.
03.10.10 - 9:22 PM

Following the multiplatform release of Final Fantasy XIII in North America and Europe, Square Enix has announced that total shipments of the game have jumped to five million copies. Approximately three million copies had been shipped to the two markets for the game's March 9th release date.
In Japan, the PlayStation 3-exclusive release has sold close to two million copies since its December 17th debut.
jakebonz
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by jakebonz »

43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W wrote:Anyone beat the boss I mentioned above?
I beat him last night. Not that hard.

Use Supersoldier paradigm to start so you can put protect and shell on your characters. Then (and this is key) use Libra to keep track of Aster's constant shifting of elemental weaknesses. Use Slash & Burn paradigm until his chain gauge is at about 30% (with War & Peace when you need to heal) then switch to Dualcasting Paradigm to stagger him. Once staggered, switch back to Slash & Burn to juggle the fucker in the air. When Aster recovers from stagger, repeat.

In summary: Supersoldier -> Libra -> Slash & Burn to 30% Chain -> Dualcasting to stagger -> Slash & Burn once staggered

War & Peace as necessary
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

jakebonz wrote:

Use Supersoldier paradigm to start so you can put protect and shell on your characters. Then (and this is key) use Libra to keep track of Aster's constant shifting of elemental weaknesses. Use Slash & Burn paradigm until his chain gauge is at about 30% (with War & Peace when you need to heal) then switch to Dualcasting Paradigm to stagger him. Once staggered, switch back to Slash & Burn to juggle the fucker in the air. When Aster recovers from stagger, repeat.

In summary: Supersoldier -> Libra -> Slash & Burn to 30% Chain -> Dualcasting to stagger -> Slash & Burn once staggered

War & Peace as necessary

Thanks, dude. You're a FF master. I still don't fully understand the different paradigms or the chain gauge fully, so it's probably why I was having trouble.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Krieg wrote:
Blasphemy. You most than anyone here should be a pro-evolution-er. The future will prove you wrong and this sentence will join the kingdom of nonsense, together with "640K ought to be enough for anybody", "Everything that can be invented has been invented", "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home" and "This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication."
I'm pro-evolution, but I'm all about quality. Dead Space was certainly cinematic (and all the better for it) and it had outstanding gameplay as well. Once a game is no longer interactive in any sort of rewarding way, I draw the line. You guys are stoked about watching a 60(?)-hour CGI anime where you're basically pressing a button to make sure it keeps advancing. I'm glad to hear the battle system is fun, but where's the excitement when there's nothing on the line thanks to an instant re-try?

I don't see how movies are evolving into games so I can't really address the inverse situation.

I really don't want to argue about this... I'm just sad and hurt that the FF series's return to sci-fi is in a format I can't enjoy.
jakebonz
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by jakebonz »

43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W wrote:
jakebonz wrote:

War & Peace as necessary

Thanks, dude. You're a FF master. I still don't fully understand the different paradigms or the chain gauge fully, so it's probably why I was having trouble.
It was hard to understand at first, but what you need to know is that Ravagers increase the chain gauge the most and Commandos prevent it from decreasing as quickly. If you're in a battle against a tough enemy, start out with a round of Commando + Ravager to slow down the chain gauge decrease, then switch to Ravager + Ravager to quickly get to a stagger, then go back to Commando + Ravager for the most damage and a quick end to the fight.
CoconutBackwards1
One Of Many Accounts

Post by CoconutBackwards1 »

jakebonz wrote:
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W wrote:
jakebonz wrote:

War & Peace as necessary

It was hard to understand at first, but what you need to know is that Ravagers increase the chain gauge the most and Commandos prevent it from decreasing as quickly. If you're in a battle against a tough enemy, start out with a round of Commando + Ravager to slow down the chain gauge decrease, then switch to Ravager + Ravager to quickly get to a stagger, then go back to Commando + Ravager for the most damage and a quick end to the fight.

How many different paradigms do you have? From my understanding you can only flip between two and there's no way I'm going to play a Final Fantasy game without a healing class. WTF is Final Fantasy without the White Mage? I have a Commando + Ravager + Ravager class and a Ravager + Ravager + Healer class.

Necrometer wrote:
Krieg wrote:
I'm pro-evolution, but I'm all about quality. Dead Space was certainly cinematic (and all the better for it) and it had outstanding gameplay as well. Once a game is no longer interactive in any sort of rewarding way, I draw the line. You guys are stoked about watching a 60(?)-hour CGI anime where you're basically pressing a button to make sure it keeps advancing. I'm glad to hear the battle system is fun, but where's the excitement when there's nothing on the line thanks to an instant re-try?

I don't see how movies are evolving into games so I can't really address the inverse situation.

I really don't want to argue about this... I'm just sad and hurt that the FF series's return to sci-fi is in a format I can't enjoy.

You must hate the idea of Heavy Rain.

I think Heavy Rain looks pretty sweet and is probably going to be the game I buy next.... or wait, fuck. Thats GOW 3.
The only question that I thought was hard was do I like Kirk, or do I like Picard?
CoconutBackwards1
One Of Many Accounts

Post by CoconutBackwards1 »

The whole cut scene that was showing the past between Snow and Serah riding that floating bike or whatever the hell it was above the fireworks was embarassing. I struggle with that kind of crap in video games. I know they're trying to develop the characters, but for some reason it always seems fake and forced to me in video games. Maybe you guys feel differently?

Also, the Lightning character punching Snow in the face every five seconds seems a little excessive to me. I guess they need to show that though for a neandrathal like me to accept a female as the lead in a fighting game.
The only question that I thought was hard was do I like Kirk, or do I like Picard?