Congrats Texas board of education...

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Gookstorm
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Congrats Texas board of education...

Post by Gookstorm »

For proving how goddamn stupid you guys are definitively.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/educa ... texas.html
After three days of turbulent meetings, the Texas Board of Education on Friday voted to approve a social studies curriculum that will put a conservative stamp on history and economics textbooks, stressing the superiority of American capitalism, questioning the Founding Father’s commitment to a purely secular government and presenting Republican political philosophies in a more positive light.

The vote was 11 to 4, with 10 Republicans and one Democrat voting for the curriculum, and four Democrats voting against.

The board, whose members are elected, has influence beyond Texas because the state is one of the largest purchasers of textbooks. In the digital age, however, that influence has been diminished as technological advances have made it possible for publishers to tailor books to individual states.

In recent years, board members have been locked in an ideological battle between a bloc of conservatives who question Darwin’s theory of evolution and believe the Founding Fathers were guided by Christian principles and a handful of Democrats and moderate Republicans who have fought to preserve the teaching of Darwinism and the separation of church and state.

Since January, Republicans on the board have passed more than 160 amendments to the 120-page curriculum standards affecting history, sociology and economics courses from elementary to high school. The standards were proposed by a board of teachers.

Efforts by Hispanic board members to include more Latino figures as role models for the state’s large Hispanic population were consistently defeated, prompting one member, Mary Helen Berlanga, to storm out of a meeting late Thursday night, saying, “They can just pretend this is a white America and Hispanics don’t exist.”

“They are going overboard, they are not experts, they are not historians,” she said. “They are rewriting history, not only of Texas but of the United States and the world.”

The curriculum standards will now be published in a state register, opening them up for 30 days of public comment. A final vote will be taken in May, but given the Republican dominance of the board, it is unlikely many changes will be made.

The standards, reviewed every decade, serve as a template for publishers of textbooks, who must come before the board next year with drafts of their books. The board’s makeup will have changed by then because the leader of the conservative faction, Dr. Don McLeroy, lost in a primary to a more moderate Republican, and two others — one Democrat and one conservative Republican — have announced they are not seeking re-election.

There are seven members of the conservative bloc on the board, but they are often joined by one of the other three Republicans on crucial votes. There were no historians, sociologists or economists consulted at the meetings, though some members of the conservative bloc held themselves out as experts on certain topics.

The conservative members maintain that they are trying to correct what they see as a liberal bias among the teachers who proposed the curriculum. To that end, they made dozens of minor changes aimed at calling into question, among other things, concepts like the separation of church and state and the secular nature of the American Revolution.

“I reject the notion by the left of a constitutional separation of church and state,” said David Bradley, a conservative from Beaumont who works in real estate. “I have $1,000 for the charity of your choice if you can find it in the Constitution.”

They also included a plank to ensure that students learn about “the conservative resurgence of the 1980s and 1990s, including Phyllis Schalfly, the Contract With America, the Heritage Foundation, the Moral Majority and the National Rifle Association.”

Dr. McLeroy pushed through a change to the teaching of the civil rights movement to ensure that students study the violent philosophy of the Black Panthers in addition to the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s nonviolent approach. He also made sure that textbooks would mention the votes in Congress on civil rights legislation, which Republicans supported.

“Republicans need a little credit for that,” he said. “I think it’s going to surprise some students.”

Mr. Bradley won approval for an amendment saying students should study “the unintended consequences” of the Great Society legislation, affirmative action and Title IX legislation. He also won approval for an amendment stressing that Germans and Italians were interned in the United States as well as the Japanese during World War II, to counter the idea that the internment of Japanese was motivated by racism.

Other changes seem aimed at tamping down criticism of the right. Conservatives passed one amendment, for instance, requiring that the history of McCarthyism include “how the later release of the Venona papers confirmed suspicions of communist infiltration in U.S. government.” The Venona papers were transcripts of some 3,000 communications between the Soviet Union and its agents in the United States.

In economics, the revisions add Milton Friedman and Friedrich von Hayek, two champions of free-market economic theory, among the usual list of economists to be studied, like Adam Smith, Karl Marx and John Maynard Keynes. They also replaced the word “capitalism” throughout their texts with the “free-enterprise system.”

“Let’s face it, capitalism does have a negative connotation,” said one conservative member, Terri Leo. “You know, ‘capitalist pig!’ ”

In the field of sociology, another conservative member, Barbara Cargill, won passage of an amendment requiring the teaching of “the importance of personal responsibility for life choices” in a section on teen suicide, dating violence, sexuality, drug use and eating disorders.

“The topic of sociology tends to blame society for everything,” Ms. Cargill said.

Even the course on World History did not escape the board’s scalpel.

Cynthia Dunbar, a lawyer from Richmond who is a strict constitutionalist and thinks the nation was founded on Christian beliefs, managed to cut Thomas Jefferson from a list of figures whose writings inspired revolutions in the late 18th century and 19th century, replacing him with St. Thomas Aquinas, John Calvin and William Blackstone. (Jefferson is not well liked among the conservatives on the board because he coined the term “separation between church and state.”)

“The Enlightenment was not the only philosophy on which these revolutions were based,” Ms. Dunbar said.

Mavis B. Knight, a Democrat from Dallas, introduced an amendment requiring that students study the reasons “the founding fathers protected religious freedom in America by barring the government from promoting or disfavoring any particular religion above all others.”

It was defeated on a party-line vote.
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR wrote:
Gookstorm wrote:Koreans hate Americans too much to ever fuck them, silly roundeyes.
obviously you never been to kunsan, osan, or seoul.
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Re: Congrats Texas board of education...

Post by 43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W »

That's pretty insane. Acts of a fearful white overly-religious population. Doesn't surprise me though... Texan Republicans, ya know.
F/K/A HAPF
How's them beans, ma?

Post by F/K/A HAPF »

It is public education. Do you really expect it to be fair and balanced finally? Anything done before 1620 in the Americas won't matter, Jefferson and Washington's importance on the birth of our nation will be replaced by Franklin and Adams, and no one will learn anything important.
Xbox live: dashboardmelted or HAPF
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR
Threads Endlessly Scrolled

Post by ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR »

so whats the stupid part ?
I AM AN INTELLECTUAL FUCKING COMBATANT OF GOD, I AM TOO TOUGH TO CARE WHAT YOU THINK.

caldwell.the.great wrote:but no other member here does exactly what ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR does, not even the other trolls.
Gookstorm
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Gookstorm »

ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR wrote:so whats the stupid part ?
People like you with more money and power want to teach children to think more like you in the state of Texas.
Gookstorm wrote:Koreans hate Americans too much to ever fuck them, silly roundeyes.
Chevalier Mal Fet
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Chevalier Mal Fet »

The parts where Texans are talking.
Dudes - check out my record: https://linktr.ee/illuminihilation
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Post by 43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W »

The part where the right is pulling shenanigans because the demogrphics in the country are changing and their political party isdwindling day by day.
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

Any creationism get in there?
Gookstorm
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Gookstorm »

43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W wrote:The part where the right is pulling shenanigans because the demogrphics in the country are changing and their political party isdwindling day by day.
Hopefully people start reading Wikipedia more than their textbooks because soon textbooks won't be worth reading anymore.

Teachers are free to teach only loosely based upon the curriculum, but this can easily lead to cases where a teacher is fired for refusing to teach creationism or for asserting something like the founding fathers were Deists and despised how state-sponsored religions - especially Christianity - ruined England. This is all goddamn fact according to historical records and is not politically left or right like crazy motherfucking conservatives seem to think and that there's always some liberal conspiracy to challenge what they view as "objective." Therefore, Texas has made it now a punishable offense by educators for teaching historical facts to students.
Comrade Slinky wrote:Any creationism get in there?
It's already been in there for a while now :(
Last edited by Gookstorm on Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F/K/A HAPF
How's them beans, ma?

Post by F/K/A HAPF »

God forbid they cut Texas history from the curriculum to actually talk about important stuff.
death by snoo snoo
I sure do have a lot of posts, lol.

Post by death by snoo snoo »

Today I saw this bumper decal on a car parked outside my work..

so, what do yall exactly think should be in it ?
I AM AN INTELLECTUAL FUCKING COMBATANT OF GOD, I AM TOO TOUGH TO CARE WHAT YOU THINK.

caldwell.the.great wrote:but no other member here does exactly what ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR does, not even the other trolls.
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

putting government in charge of education whatcouldpossiblygowrong
kale
Hotchka!
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Post by Hotchka! »

the end of the article made me chuckle but other than that im not concerned. the Venona papers sound like an interesting read though.
Chevalier Mal Fet
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Chevalier Mal Fet »

neckbeard wrote:putting government in charge of education whatcouldpossiblygowrong
ha, maybe one day you'll be an hero in their textbook. I'd love to hear your take on how education was superior when schools were few and far between, completely exclusionary and 90% of adults were functional illiterates, I mean if it wasn't for public education guys like Daryl or Thurston couldn't even post on this.... I see your point.
Dudes - check out my record: https://linktr.ee/illuminihilation
F/K/A HAPF
How's them beans, ma?

Post by F/K/A HAPF »

neckbeard wrote:putting government in charge of education whatcouldpossiblygowrong
Federal education reform is needed. Standards should be the same no matter where anyone is studying. Too bad no state board of education is going to allow it. No Child Left Behind was a flop (to the point I didn't have one education class where it was discussed as a positive) and it will take years along with a semi-unbiased group to have a successful attempt at fixing the system.
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

dddd
Last edited by neckbeard on Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kale
F/K/A HAPF
How's them beans, ma?

Post by F/K/A HAPF »

Pisscubes wrote:
F/K/A HAPF wrote:
Federal education reform is needed. Standards should be the same no matter where anyone is studying. Too bad no state board of education is going to allow it. No Child Left Behind was a flop (to the point I didn't have one education class where it was discussed as a positive) and it will take years along with a semi-unbiased group to have a successful attempt at fixing the system.
No child left behind wouldn't have been bad had they not drastically cut education funding at the exact same time they then decided to start expecting more out of schools. Basically it was "We want to see a lot more out of these kids with a shit ton less funding. And if you don't make it work, we're going to blame the teachers."
My biggest problem with NCLB is the idea of academic proficiency without ever making a national standard for proficiency. Teaching I saw too many teachers who knew nothing of their subjects except the standards the state had setup. It is unfair to many of the students I saw who were military brats or kids interested in the subject that they knew more than their teachers.
smellmyfinger
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by smellmyfinger »

4+1=4 I got it, thanks.
This is like talking to an internet ghost who doesn't even realize he's a ghost yet and keeps trying to talk to those around him. If you try to put a shirt on so people can recognize you I WILL PUNCH THE SHIRT INTO OBLIVION thus rendering you still a ghost. FUCK YOU, smellmyfinger
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Sell Texas to Mexico. Cheap.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele

Chevalier Mal Fet wrote:
ha, maybe one day you'll be an hero in their textbook. I'd love to hear your take on how education was superior when schools were few and far between, completely exclusionary and 90% of adults were functional illiterates, I mean if it wasn't for public education guys like Daryl or Thurston couldn't even post on this.... I see your point.
YOU MADE FUNNY AT MY EXPENSE !!! ME GO CRY !!!

Wang Mandu wrote:Sell Texas to Mexico. Cheap.
FAILURE IN EDUCATIONAL HISTORY RIGHT HERE !!!

Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Explain Daryl. Because I didn't put "back"...?
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Whiffleball Ace
Map, Monitor, Surge

Post by Whiffleball Ace »

Pisscubes wrote:
F/K/A HAPF wrote:
No child left behind wouldn't have been bad had they not drastically cut education funding at the exact same time they then decided to start expecting more out of schools. Basically it was "We want to see a lot more out of these kids with a shit ton less funding. And if you don't make it work, we're going to blame the teachers."
Under NCLB the complete failure of public education is eminent. Why do you think the Right is so quick to champion vouchers? Soon all education will be privatized. Say hello to the future headmaster of your children's school:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

Chevalier Mal Fet wrote:
ha, maybe one day you'll be an hero in their textbook. I'd love to hear your take on how education was superior when schools were few and far between, completely exclusionary and 90% of adults were functional illiterates,
It wasn't superior, whenever that was, but maybe it's not lack of state what made it so no one bothered to learn to read.
kale