Death: A 70's Rock Trailblazer Reborn

Music posts are a bannable offense.
necrothrash
I like to smell things.

Death: A 70's Rock Trailblazer Reborn

Post by necrothrash »

In the 1970s, the music of Detroit could be split into two powerful scenes: the black soul, funk and R&B of Motown and the white rock 'n' roll of The Stooges, MC5, Bob Seger and Alice Cooper. Somewhere in the middle was Death.

http://preview.npr.org/templates/story/ ... =124710357 -- The Story
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Death: A '70s Rock Trailblazer, Reborn

by Stephen Thompson

March 17, 2010

Starting Wednesday, more than 1,700 bands will perform at this week's South by Southwest music festival. Many of them will get their first chance at a career breakthrough, but one had to wait 35 years for the attention.

In the 1970s, the music of Detroit could be split into two powerful scenes: the black soul, funk and R&B of Motown and the white rock 'n' roll of The Stooges, MC5, Bob Seger and Alice Cooper. Somewhere in the middle was Death.

Bobby Hackney sang in the band, which also featured his brothers: Dannis played drums; David played guitar and wrote the songs.

"We didn't fit in at all," says Bobby. "The rock bands that we identified with ... we didn't hang out with those guys. We were in the inner city, on the east side, in the black community. Most of the bands were doing stuff like Al Green, Earth Wind & Fire, The Isley Brothers. Being in the black community and having a rock band, people just looked at us like we was weird. After we got done with a song, instead of cheering and clapping, people would just be looking at us."

David Hackney's idea for a band name didn't help. "Our name of the band was Rock Fire Funk Express," says Bobby. "David convinced us to change the name of the band to Death. His concept was spinning death from the negative to the positive. It was a hard sell."

Record producers expressed an interest in Death, but demanded a name change. David Hackney refused. Disco was taking over, and Death broke up in 1977. But before it did, it recorded an album. Bobby Hackney Jr. heard two of the songs online.

"I was just floored. I was blown away. I just couldn't believe that it came out of our bloodline," he says. "I immediately called my father and I was like, 'Dad, why didn't you tell us about Death? Why didn't you ever show us these recordings? They're amazing.'"

Bobby Jr., two of his brothers and two of their friends formed a band called Rough Francis to play Death's songs. The legend grew of an uncompromising black rock band that predated punk, and last year, the independent label Drag City released the 1975 album, called ...For The World To See.

For Bobby Sr., the belated recognition is bittersweet. "David never wavered on the fact that the world one day would know about Death," says his brother. "He always believed it, right to the very end. As a matter of fact, right before he died in 2000, he came to me with some additional tapes. And he said, 'Listen, you gotta keep these.' And I told him, I says, 'David, I already have enough of our stuff, man.' And he said, 'No, Bobby, you gotta do this.' He says, 'Listen, the world's gonna come looking for this music. I know that you will have it.' This was maybe a year before he died."

This weekend, with a friend named Bobbie Duncan filling in on guitar, Death will reassemble to play its old songs at South by Southwest. A tour will follow, but beyond that, who knows?

Bobby Hackney, Sr., might know. "We have a saying, my brother and I: 'We're like passengers on a train, man. We're just gonna ride it to the station.' There's a conductor at the helm, and it's not us. And we don't know how long the journey will be, but one thing we will do, and we're committed to doing, and that is to honor our brother David every step of the way."
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Re: Death: A 70's Rock Trailblazer Reborn

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

This is great.
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

sounds cool actually
zzzzzzzz
Unquestionable Presence

Post by zzzzzzzz »

I've been listening to this for awhile, its damn fucking great shit. Hard to believe it went unheard of for so long, and the main question is, did the Bad Brains listen to these guys at all? Is it sheer coincidence, because they do more than a few things this band does. Either way - yeeesh this shit is rockin
CHUFFED beyond necropsy
Ethos Musick

Post by CHUFFED beyond necropsy »

Wow, awesome they're playing again. i hope their tour comes up this way. That demo/album is killer.
Incalculably stupid, i trust you'll agree.
Tony Twist
Elitist Prick

Post by Tony Twist »

How do they compare with BLACK DEATH?

zzzzzzzz
Unquestionable Presence

Post by zzzzzzzz »

Black Death..pffffsssttthh, you mean SOUND BARRIER

but seriously, jokerys aside, that Death shit is fucking great check it out - best album of 2009, recorded in the 70s
Idget Child
Big McLargeHuge

Post by Idget Child »

MRR wrote an article on this band recently, too, but I haven't gotten around to hearing it yet. It's probably no Mo'tician, but I'll give it a listen.
Chad wrote:Idget child might be the worst poster here though...
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

zzzzzzzz wrote:I've been listening to this for awhile, its damn fucking great shit. Hard to believe it went unheard of for so long, and the main question is, did the Bad Brains listen to these guys at all? Is it sheer coincidence, because they do more than a few things this band does. Either way - yeeesh this shit is rockin
I noticed the similarities as well.
Barcass Grinder
I hate my life.

Post by Barcass Grinder »

IFL.
det-riot
Inhale/Exhale

Post by det-riot »

I've been rocking this band for the past few months. Holy shit! These guys apparently had an influence on the Bad Brains, and you can hear it. The song "Rock N Roll Victim" rips harder than anything the Stooges and MC5 did. These guys may have been the first "punk" band.

Another example of Michigan cranking incredible music to compensate for the Kid Rocks, Uncle Krackers, and ICPs of the world.
eyehatethehumanrace
Map, Monitor, Surge

Post by eyehatethehumanrace »

interesting. I'd love to check this out, considering I like the MC5 and Bad Brains.

black proto-punk...hells yea.
HASHTHRASH
I hate your life.

Post by HASHTHRASH »

Fuck, this is KILLER!
Zerohero wrote: i remember when Cave paPpY sent me some wooden MP1's

http://www.killthatcat.com
monsterod
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by monsterod »

Can someone please register and leave an "RIP CHUCK!!!" comment? I gotta go take a shower.
turn these off meatman.
Barcass Grinder
I hate my life.

det-riot wrote: These guys may have been the first "punk" band.
Uhhh....

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUBgh4na ... re=related<
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

zzzzzzzz wrote:I've been listening to this for awhile, its damn fucking great shit. Hard to believe it went unheard of for so long, and the main question is, did the Bad Brains listen to these guys at all? Is it sheer coincidence, because they do more than a few things this band does. Either way - yeeesh this shit is rockin
probably sheer coincidence, I never once recall Bad Brains even once mention this band
eddie munster
One Of Many Accounts

Post by eddie munster »

fuck schuldiner , this band is awesome.
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

Barcass Grinder wrote:
Uhhh....

this sounds like Black Flag
Chevalier Mal Fet
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Chevalier Mal Fet »

I too heard this thing on NPR, very cool stuff.
Dudes - check out my record: https://linktr.ee/illuminihilation
Syringe in Mouth
DO THE DEW!

Post by Syringe in Mouth »

eddie munster wrote:fuck schuldiner , this band is awesome.
seconded

Love this. Let The World Turn = :awesome:
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

didn't someone post a youtube video about a 70's band of all black members a while ago? most of them died over time, either drugs or murder...
was it this band?
Chevalier Mal Fet
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Chevalier Mal Fet »

zombiehead wrote:didn't someone post a youtube video about a 70's band of all black members a while ago? most of them died over time, either drugs or murder...
was it this band?
Wouldn't think so, according to the news report only one original member was dead.
Dudes - check out my record: https://linktr.ee/illuminihilation
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

must be some other black band, but i remember watching some doc on some black band from the 70s.
Barcass Grinder
I hate my life.

zombiehead wrote:
Barcass Grinder wrote:
Uhhh....

this sounds like Black Flag
My post had nothing to do with Bad Brains. I was just stating that some consider them to be the first punk band. Vocals do sound like Keith Morris, though.
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

i was just purely commenting on that song