Is 2000-2009 the worst decade of music ever?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Re: Is 2000-2009 the worst decade of music ever?

Post by riley-o »

christ, barger gets it.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

correct me if i'm wrong here but did oxbow release an evil heat this decade?

oh..
Tony Twist
Elitist Prick

Post by Tony Twist »

You Killed Jesus wrote:
captain wrote:
You Killed Jesus wrote:the time equivalent of the "my town sucks" syndrome
Yeah, its a possibility, but until I see evidence otherwise, I consider my generation foe'd
you have no idea how much it angers me to hear kids from major cities complain about how there's nothing to do where they live. they never had to grow up in a town of 3500, they don't fucking know

It's in every town in the U.S., usually coming from the mouths of unappreciative suburban white kids. I used to hear that shit all the time in my HS and it was bull.
captain
Inhale/Exhale

Post by captain »

But what is this so-called good music!!! There are far more underground people on this site than myself, but I feel like I did my fair share of digging. I was discouraged to dig much further after '00-'07 I came up with pretty much zilch. Please, just give me one name!!!
"Never follow a hippie to a second location" -Jack Donaghy
Pistol Whip
Tu Jofa

Post by Pistol Whip »

riley-o wrote:this kind of attitude is just a laughable version of "back in my day". you're not a kid anymore, you're not filled with youthful exuberance, you're not as enthusiastic about new things, your wife doesn't give you that little wink every now and then anymore. just keep clinging to your precious treasures from the the glory days of music that were the 80s and 90s ? fuck, shut up.

Thread over and stuff.
Pistol Whip
Tu Jofa

Post by Pistol Whip »

Tony Twist wrote:
You Killed Jesus wrote:
captain wrote:
You Killed Jesus wrote:the time equivalent of the "my town sucks" syndrome
Yeah, its a possibility, but until I see evidence otherwise, I consider my generation foe'd
you have no idea how much it angers me to hear kids from major cities complain about how there's nothing to do where they live. they never had to grow up in a town of 3500, they don't fucking know

It's in every town in the U.S., usually coming from the mouths of unappreciative suburban white kids. I used to hear that shit all the time in my HS and it was bull.
Well it's the same thing in EL Paso so it also comes out of the mouths of unappreciative suburban Mexican kids.
Pistol Whip
Tu Jofa

Post by Pistol Whip »

captain wrote:But what is this so-called good music!!! There are far more underground people on this site than myself, but I feel like I did my fair share of digging. I was discouraged to dig much further after '00-'07 I came up with pretty much zilch. Please, just give me one name!!!
Katatonia?
captain
Inhale/Exhale

Post by captain »

Pistol Whip wrote:
captain wrote:But what is this so-called good music!!! There are far more underground people on this site than myself, but I feel like I did my fair share of digging. I was discouraged to dig much further after '00-'07 I came up with pretty much zilch. Please, just give me one name!!!
Katatonia?
I like Katatonia, though they're far from being a favorite of mine. But this is where my problem differs from the OP. Katatonia have been around for a long time. I am looking for NEW blood. Someone from my own generation that I can be proud of. Shit, there were a pretty good amount of fantastic albums released by older bands in the 00's. That's great!!! But new blood is vital.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

have you heard of ulver ?
smooth
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by smooth »

Electronic music seems to have gotten better.
The Talmud wrote:Menahoth 43b-44a. A Jewish man is obligated to say the following prayer every day: Thank you God for not making me a gentile, a woman or a slave.
triple clutcher v2.5b
This drum machine utterly confounds me.

Post by triple clutcher v2.5b »

captain wrote:I like Katatonia, though they're far from being a favorite of mine. But this is where my problem differs from the OP. Katatonia have been around for a long time. I am looking for NEW blood. Someone from my own generation that I can be proud of. Shit, there were a pretty good amount of fantastic albums released by older bands in the 00's. That's great!!! But new blood is vital.
for metal? Sulaco, Diskord, Electro Quarterstaff, Malignancy, Portal
for non-metal? Belaire, Camera Obscura, Laura Veirs, My Morning Jacket, Tara Jane O'Neil

There, ten bands off the top of my head.
Pistol Whip
Tu Jofa

Post by Pistol Whip »

captain wrote:
Pistol Whip wrote:
Katatonia?
I like Katatonia, though they're far from being a favorite of mine. But this is where my problem differs from the OP. Katatonia have been around for a long time. I am looking for NEW blood. Someone from my own generation that I can be proud of. Shit, there were a pretty good amount of fantastic albums released by older bands in the 00's. That's great!!! But new blood is vital.
But this happens with every decade of music, it safe to say that the bands that made the best albums in the 90's all started in the 80's.
captain
Inhale/Exhale

Post by captain »

smooth wrote:Electronic music seems to have gotten better.
Has it? To be honest I haven't really kept up with it at all. Expanding on the IDM/glitchy stuff, or something else?
Dann O)))
wolves evolve...

Post by Dann O))) »

I used to be jaded about newer music, but I realized I was just being an asshole. There is so much good music being made now and in the last 10 years....
Pistol Whip
Tu Jofa

Post by Pistol Whip »

Dann O))) wrote:I used to be jaded about newer music, but I realized I was just being an asshole. There is so much good music being made now and in the last 10 years....

Wow this actually shocked me Dan.
captain
Inhale/Exhale

Post by captain »

Pistol Whip wrote:
But this happens with every decade of music, it safe to say that the bands that made the best albums in the 90's all started in the 80's.
Well, as far as the early 90's, yeah many of them started in the late 80's, but I just kind of lump them together anyways. But as far as I know, most of those guys were in their mid-late 20's when they started coming out with all of this amazing material.

Off the top of my head, the only bands that would fit this bill would be MMJ and Agalloch. Agalloch are/were fucking fantastic, and MMJ is one of the greatest ripoff bands of all time. Besides that every great album I can think of was by an older band, or something like Jesu, which was J Broadrick, who isn't exactly new blood.

triple clutcher v2.5b wrote: for metal? Sulaco, Diskord, Electro Quarterstaff, Malignancy, Portal
for non-metal? Belaire, Camera Obscura, Laura Veirs, My Morning Jacket, Tara Jane O'Neil

There, ten bands off the top of my head.
Like I said, haven't kept up with the metal over the last three years or so. I did check out Portal, since they get talked up so much around here. Intend on investing more time in them. Sulaco and Electro, I listened to a few times, but wasn;t really into. Maybe I'll check em out again.

non-metal, love MMJ as said before. well used to, haven't paid much attention since last album. of the others, only one I'm sure I've heard is Camera Obscura. Hey're OK, but haven't listened to them much
Mendicant
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Mendicant »

Hotchka! wrote:1980-1999 in particular.
this seems like a long decade
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

oh so we're only talking about bands that debuted this decade now ? for fuck's sake. if there are artists making good art who fucking cares when they started ? are they making good art in the time period being discussed ? yes ? then great art is being made in that decade right ? am i fucking missing something here ?
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

well theres definitely been something wrong and particularly wrong about this decade thats pretty undeniable. the parameters and methods for finding intense shit that isn't influenced by the world at large is still roughly the same as it was though i'd say.. the hunt is just exhausting

you can't deny something kind of unnatural has happened here that's different from other decades.
hooked on sonics
Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-ka

Post by hooked on sonics »

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Circle from finland has been quietly, but consistently, dropping earth shattering records left and right all decade... hell, Pharoah Overlord alone, a side project, has released no less then 6 terrific cds since 2000. So yes, in fact, it's been an incredibly great ride. This is intense krautrock type music though, which i love especially because it's the best music for acid for me... so I associate it with incredible experiences. I guess I'm really biased... but,

I always wonder what it must have been like in the late 50s through to 67 for, say, Coltrane fans. What a crazy run of albums... He must have lost tons of people as he got more and more out there... for me, Circle is like this, I love listening to them change from album to album, in real-time as it were.

So yeah, Circle makes this decade worth it, if nothing else does. This is coming from someone who listens to old stuff almost exclusively, aside from the aforementioned Finns.
captain
Inhale/Exhale

Post by captain »

riley-o wrote:oh so we're only talking about bands that debuted this decade now ? for fuck's sake. if there are artists making good art who fucking cares when they started ? are they making good art in the time period being discussed ? yes ? then great art is being made in that decade right ? am i fucking missing something here ?
No, no. I'm definitely happy that there are great albums coming out (though I would love to know of some more for non-metal/aggresive ones). This was the the main point where I differed from the OP. It would just be nice to be proud of something from my own generation. I mean if the Rolling Stones came out with another mammoth album, I would be tickled pink. But it just isn't the same.
hooked on sonics
Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-ka

Post by hooked on sonics »

Circle definitely started in the 90s, and it took them a long time to get good, they had a bunch of less than stellar 90s albums, but i think the payoff is there; ALL the double ought studio albums are so good, it should be valid...

but yeah, maybe not the best decade for young people music.
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.

Post by soiled depends »

Juatin & Gregoroth and Dummfoc's "unique" myspace home recording interface "bands" wil be remembered for being the worst fucking waste of time forever. Worse than 90's hardcore. No one will fucking care or remember....
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

Dann O)))
wolves evolve...

Post by Dann O))) »

10 random "newer" bands that are amazing...

Njiqahdda
The Daysleepers
Torche
Gorod
Parlamentarisk Sodomi
Ulcerate
Mitochondrion
Oranssi Pazuzu
Altar Of Plagues
Circle Of Ouroborus
captain
Inhale/Exhale

Post by captain »

hooked on sonics wrote:Circle
So I only listened to these guys a couple of times, and it was years ago. I remember finding out about them in some way connected to Acid Mothers Temple, so I sort of associated them with those guys. But less heavy maybe. Are they closer to traditional krautrock (whatever that means), or more influenced by Tortoise, Slint, etc.