why do I have to work 40 hours a week?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Hypnagogia
How's them beans, ma?

Re: why do I have to work 40 hours a week?

Post by Hypnagogia »

Necrometer wrote:The reason I don't fucking FLIP about the rich/poor disparity is because even the poorest people are doing a zillion times better than they would be if they were shat out in the middle of some desert in non-civilization. If you actually believe that your life is less good because some fat cat on a yacht is doing blow off a pair of tanned silicone tits right now, then you need to do some soul-searching.
haha, I wasn't counting myself as "the poor".

But try applying your analogy to, say, the average Haitian...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Mallard's a workin
smooth
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by smooth »

If it were really only about food and shelter, you would only need a part time job.
The Talmud wrote:Menahoth 43b-44a. A Jewish man is obligated to say the following prayer every day: Thank you God for not making me a gentile, a woman or a slave.
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

Hey, if black people aren't going to pick our cotton, at least kids in Bangladesh can turn it into Dale Jr tshirts.

Alright, I apologize, that was pretty ridiculous.
fvkk
ThePhillyExperiment
ultimate EVIL

Post by ThePhillyExperiment »

neckbeard wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_ti ... _countries
Other countries

The Kapauku people of Papua think it is bad luck to work two consecutive days. The !Kung Bushmen work just two-and-a-half days per week, rarely more than six hours per day. [24]

The work week in Samoa is approximately 30 hours[25], and though average annual Samoan cash income is relatively low, by some measures, the Samoan standard of living and quality of life are quite good.
Peace out, guys
http://www.indexmundi.com/samoa/gdp_rea ... _rate.html
brobot wrote: "Some guy asked me if I was a robot...like a Relapse robot? I have no idea what he was talking about."
GLEN BENTON wrote: ONLY THING IS I LOOK AT THE GIRLS AT THE MOVIES, AND THERE BETWEEN 10 AND 14!
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

Necrometer wrote:The reason I don't fucking FLIP about the rich/poor disparity is because even the poorest people are doing a zillion times better than they would be if they were shat out in the middle of some desert in non-civilization. If you actually believe that your life is less good because some fat cat on a yacht is doing blow off a pair of tanned silicone tits right now, then you need to do some soul-searching.
says the doctor with ease from his comfortable job in trendyville.
"FUCK YES MORE LAWS RIGHT NOW ALL THE TIME! LAW LAW LAW!" - Geeheeb
"OH I FORGOT, MORE JAILS TOO RIGHT NOW! FUCK YEAH JAIL JAIL JAIL!" - Geeheeb

"I don't recall quoting you as a shitbrain specifically... the shitbrain experience is not exactly the same for every shitbrain" -big rossman
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

John Jr. wrote:
Go harvest me another acre of burritos you meaningless fuck.
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

Toilet Fleet wrote:
John Jr. wrote:
Go harvest me another acre of burritos you meaningless fuck.
blah blah blah

"I don't recall quoting you as a shitbrain specifically... the shitbrain experience is not exactly the same for every shitbrain" -big rossman
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

what a relief it must have been saving a week and a half's worth of wages on postage when it turned out you're a liar and a thief !
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
ThePhillyExperiment
ultimate EVIL

Post by ThePhillyExperiment »

John Jr. wrote:
So what's the currency you use in your country, the Andorran Franc?

brobot wrote: "Some guy asked me if I was a robot...like a Relapse robot? I have no idea what he was talking about."
GLEN BENTON wrote: ONLY THING IS I LOOK AT THE GIRLS AT THE MOVIES, AND THERE BETWEEN 10 AND 14!
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

for the record, considering the wage:cost-of-living ratio, I took a pay cut when I went from grad school to this job...
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

riley-o wrote:what a relief it must have been saving a week and a half's worth of wages on postage when it turned out you're a liar and a thief !
oh? what did i steal?

riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

hey man, why did you lie to everyone about how much the postage cost ?
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

riley-o wrote:hey man, why did you lie to everyone about how much the postage cost ?
hey man, what did i steal?

riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

so you're not questioning being called a liar, a lowlife, and a ripoff. awesome. glad you're finally coming clean with it.
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

riley-o wrote:so you're not questioning being called a liar, a lowlife, and a ripoff. awesome. glad you're finally coming clean with it.
um, i didn't rip anyone off, i'm just a poor person. and yeah, i dont think i've ever denied being a liar and a lowlife. why, whats your problem with it that's so bad you want to ruin the thread with it by following me around everywhere i go? why are you an internet bully lowlife who feels the need to exaggerate every negative thing about anyone to a ridiculously hyperbolic degree at all opportunity, when he's (self-admittedly) not framing every-one of his interactions in life by how it relates to fighting. perhaps you should consider that, while i proceed to ignore you for the rest of the thread.

riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

you ripped him off for months before you were harassed into finally sending some odds and ends from the bottom of your closet for a fraction of the price you told everyone here that it cost. you ripped him off by sending some shit you didn't want and no one would want cluttering up your space anymore. it was fucking garbage and a waste of time. you're a liar and a scumbag and you knew this before you signed up to participate in something where you knew you would get something that a person here put effort and time into while you were planning to ship nothing until the board found out, wouldn't let it go, and you basically took a shit in a box and paid $63 $14 to ship it.
smooth
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by smooth »

Hypnagogia wrote:
Necrometer wrote:
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO wrote:I guess I think people in non-industrialized countries are especially exploited to support our lifestyles, or else they're just generally shit on by the rest of the world. I don't think there are any parts of Earth that aren't part of the modern world.

I guess I think it's silly to imagine that we could possibly will ourselves into some prelapsarian Eden, nor do I think that the pre-modern world was necessarily better than what we have now. I personally wasn't suggesting in this thread that that the world that we know is not good enough - just noting the historical roots of having to work more hours. I do, however, think that there are morally reprehensible aspects to the world as it works today, and I feel very strongly about those, but that's neither here nor there in my opinion. Complaining about modernity is like complaining about having to breathe air.

Still, I think asking the question about why we live the lives we do when people clearly lived in a really different way is a fascinating question. It's sort of, like, what I do.
Good stuff, man. Thanks. I know that this is what you do, and I appreciate that you take your thing and help in intellectual outreach to others. I am not convinced that there's no place on Earth where you can escape modernity... I just think it would be so suicidal to go to that place that you'd either be totally alone (non-option) or simply rule it out. Which is exactly why I don't jump on the bandwagon when people are so dissatisfied with the world they're in. I guess I'm circling back around to what I said before. Basically I do think things are getting better and better for PEOPLE*, and the fact that they're not getting better enough, fast enough, or in a pure enough way does deserve attention. So keep on keepin' on.

* the hidden costs of this apparent "better" do remain to be seen... I would not be shocked if the tinfoilers' national/global econocrisis comes to fruition
Dude...

Or even...

But in all seriousness, I do pretty much agree w/ your assessment...things are improving, but one of the side effects is the disparity between the wealthy and the poor is also growing exponentially.
There are many communes that exist out there but many of them have a very strict admittance policy (for very good reasons i'm sure). All it takes is dedication. Two of my friends were in a commune for 2 years.
The Talmud wrote:Menahoth 43b-44a. A Jewish man is obligated to say the following prayer every day: Thank you God for not making me a gentile, a woman or a slave.
Glass Asshole
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Glass Asshole »

Could you two ladies pull your dicks out of each others asses for a second, I'm trying to eat here.

I usually work between 11 1/2 -12 hours on the clock and then I only get a 30 minute(unpaid) lunch break. To be fair I work a 4/10 schedule these days but back in NY it was 5/12. BUT THE LONG DAYS ARE DRIVING ME FUCKING CRAZY LJKADSF;LJKDSAFK;LJASFDJKL;.! We have this think called a gap report. You get flagged for any gap in between deliveries that is over 5 minutes. Most of the time it's just driving from one stop to another on my route but these guys ride us for everything. Having to answer for everything you do gets really old. So fuck all of you office "workers" you fucking lazy piece of shit xasthur fans. Every god damn time I deliver to a office some motherfucker is on facebook or just killing time. Fuck you.
"God used me as hammer boys, to beat his weary drum today"

In Gorguts we trust.
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

I typed up this post before I had to go somewhere for work, but the board wasn't taking new submissions so I saved it:
Necrometer wrote:
Geeheeb wrote:just because its the norm, doesn't make it right guys. I'm glad you made it through your indentured servitude for your advanced degree, but working a ton doesn't make you more of a...whatever.
WHAT

this is not the point at all

necknards is making more money than a lot of us (right?), working the same or less (like 1/3 less) hours, and crying about it

he doesn't have to DO shit just like you don't and I don't

I do not like this thread
I probably make less than anyone here who isn't in some joe jub, but really I mean why does anyone (even minimum wage earners) have to work so much. World would be way better if everyone got to spend the majority of their time working on things they are interested instead of making Rent. You grad-school types don't really count the same because you mostly are working on what you're interested in. You wouldn't like more spare time for bands or something though ?
fwiw
kale
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

noah thirteen wrote:
John Jr. wrote:um, i didn't rip anyone off, i'm just a poor person. and yeah, i dont think i've ever denied being a liar and a lowlife. why, whats your problem with it that's so bad you want to ruin the thread with it by following me around everywhere i go? why are you an internet bully lowlife who feels the need to exaggerate every negative thing about anyone to a ridiculously hyperbolic degree at all opportunity, when he's (self-admittedly) not framing every-one of his interactions in life by how it relates to fighting. perhaps you should consider that, while i proceed to ignore you for the rest of the thread.
Shut the fuck up......
or?

neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

Here is my partial explanation:

Intellectual Property jacking up the price of everything.

It's prohibitively expensive to own land anywhere near a city, so you always gotta pay Rent.

Zoning laws what make it illegal to run any kind of business out of your house.

Here's an anecdote about my sister in law: She had to go to school forty hours a week for I don't know how long, a year? To get a license to cut hair. She'd be in crushing debt now if her dad wasn't willing to sacrifice a few years retirement to pay for this. Now she has to apprentice for who knows how long until she has enough clients to support Renting out a chair in commercial building. In my crazy anarchist world she would just go to houses or have people over to hers and give them a haircut.
kale
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

zoning laws also make it highly unlikely that most people will live within a walking distance to work. so now you've got waste an hour a day on mass transit if you're lucky enough to have it, or pay for gas, maintenance, and insurance in addition to buying a car and waste an hour or two in traffic to and from your work.

neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

I'm mad at you for dicking up my thread, but you're right and I meant to put that in there maybe.

Also, thanks for building all those roads out to the sticks, now we can all get to wallmart, oh sh- all our corner markets are gone.
kale
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

neckbeard wrote:I probably make less than anyone here who isn't in some joe jub, but really I mean why does anyone (even minimum wage earners) have to work so much. World would be way better if everyone got to spend the majority of their time working on things they are interested instead of making Rent. You grad-school types don't really count the same because you mostly are working on what you're interested in. You wouldn't like more spare time for bands or something though ?
neckbeard wrote:Here is my partial explanation:

Intellectual Property jacking up the price of everything.

It's prohibitively expensive to own land anywhere near a city, so you always gotta pay Rent.

Zoning laws what make it illegal to run any kind of business out of your house.

Here's an anecdote about my sister in law: She had to go to school forty hours a week for I don't know how long, a year? To get a license to cut hair. She'd be in crushing debt now if her dad wasn't willing to sacrifice a few years retirement to pay for this. Now she has to apprentice for who knows how long until she has enough clients to support Renting out a chair in commercial building. In my crazy anarchist world she would just go to houses or have people over to hers and give them a haircut.
Thanks man. I still think there are options out there... every dollar you earn or spend in your area is a vote to make it keep existing. Socialist countries exist. Communes exist. This is clearly the best choice for you because you choose it every day, but it's not good enough. Welcome to being human!
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

Instead of moving I'm trying to fix here little by little. I like the weather. It's hard to figure out what to do.
kale