Drum brains/triggers

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Drum brains/triggers

Post by Ghost Dad »

I just slapped some mesh heads onto my kit, since I can't wail on them anymore. I don't want to spend the money on an expensive digital kit, and since I love the feel of the drums I have with these heads, I figure I'd pick up a drum brain and trigger my kit. I'd hopefully like to do this for under 400$. Anyone have experience using this kind of setup?
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
thürstön.3®®0®
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: Drum brains/triggers

Post by thürstön.3®®0® »

if you're not planning on using the brain for anything beyond practice, get yourself a used alesis d4. they are ridiculously cheap and ridiculously easy to setup.
"It is Baby Bush's fault, like all of the country's problems currently are, and the poor black dude has to mop up after the irresponsible frat boy while the rich white assholes criticize him as usual." - the most naive motherfucker i've ever come in contact with that wasn't a female mennonite.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

The reviews I've read have been pretty solid, and they're going for less than 150$ wherever I look. Thanks!
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
Hotelfire
Corporate Death

Post by Hotelfire »

Ghost Dad wrote:The reviews I've read have been pretty solid, and they're going for less than 150$ wherever I look. Thanks!
I used to on an Alesis d4 and didn't like it at all. The Alesis dm5 has slightly better drum sounds. I've had a Roland SPD 20 for about 10 years and it's good for practice puposes and the drum sounds are pretty good. It's an all in one unit w/ 8 dual layered pads, meaning you can have up to 16 instruments per programmed patch (up to 99 patches). It also has 4 trigger outs and works well w/ acoustic triggers. Sam Ash online has them on sale for $394.95, but you find it cheaper used.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Ah, the problem with the Roland, despite superior quality and instrument range, is the only having 4 trigger outs. I'd rather have no pads, with more resources poured into trigger availability. Ideally I'd like a module from the V series, but I won't be getting one of those too cheap...
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

the dm5 does sound more natural. but the d4 is a rock solid piece of equipment. if you're buying used, i would go for the one that is probably going to keep on trucking after you buy it despite the 20+ years of smoke-filled club gigging before you found it.

but yeah, the DM5 certainly has slightly less "drum machine" sounding sounds.
"FUCK YES MORE LAWS RIGHT NOW ALL THE TIME! LAW LAW LAW!" - Geeheeb
"OH I FORGOT, MORE JAILS TOO RIGHT NOW! FUCK YEAH JAIL JAIL JAIL!" - Geeheeb

"I don't recall quoting you as a shitbrain specifically... the shitbrain experience is not exactly the same for every shitbrain" -big rossman