The Difference Between Grindcore and Death Metal

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Hotelfire
Corporate Death

The Difference Between Grindcore and Death Metal

Post by Hotelfire »

We (FLOURISHING) had nothing better to do than try to think of 5 bands that somewhat, kinda, sorta fell under the deathgrind tag...

Taken from Decibel.com
http://decibelmagazine.com/Content.aspx?ncid=364127

By Garett Bussanick (Flourishing and Wetnurse)

To accurately and responsibly report our top 5 death/grind hybrids, I'd like to first address a thing or two. Death metal is pretty easily identified by most extreme metal enthusiasts. But what about grindcore? I find that this term has been misused and misunderstood over the years. It seems to me that sometimes people equate grindcore with blast beats, which is obviously not the whole story. Furthermore, there was a time not too long ago when people considered the spastic type of music from bands like Daughters or The Dillinger Escape Plan as grindcore. It was pretty fast with some blasts. It was intense sounding. But I would not call these bands, or bands inspired by them, grindcore. Sure, speed is an essential part of the formula, such as blast beats and fast riffs, but it's not the ultimate characteristic. And vocally, most anything extreme will work.

So what sets grindcore apart from other fast, intense, and heavy genres? In my estimation, it comes down to the riffs. There are two defining components to questionless grindcore riffing in my opinion. Component #1: Slide riffs. These are usually power chords moved about in a fast, 'slidey' manner on the fretboard and are often chromatic. It's based in punk. To illustrate, for a righty guitarist, there is often more left hand sliding and less right hand picking... chords reached and heard outnumber chords picked. Never palm-muted, this riffing style creates the wall of guitar that is not as easily defined or emotion-based as death metal riffing, which is usually more elaborate in approach with more easily discernible patterns. Component #2: Riffs, whether slide or not, often have short, atonal, quickly repeated phrasing. They come across kind of sterile in an emotional sense, but have a machine like quality that when coupled with, say, a blast beat, brings the muscle that is grindcore. I'd like to close this segment by saying that the above has been noted to set the parameters upon which our "top 5" choices are based. And so, with these ideas in mind, here are our top 5 bands that have at some point melded elements of both death metal and grindcore.

5. Human Remains
Approimate Makeup = Death: 80% / Grind: 20% - Fun Fact: Paul Miller sang for an earlier incarnation of Flourishing

Human Remains isn't quite the first band that comes to mind when thinking of death/grind. This is because these elements took back seat to their incredibly awesome and unconventional approach. But I do see elements of both, and I wanted to include them since they're one of our favorites! Here is a second fun fact: I spent a good portion of my youth living in the same area as the band was from. In '91 or '92, I was at the Middletown fair wearing some metal shirt, and my friend and I were approached by the band to buy a demo. I remember clearly they were selling demos out of a shoebox. This was the first time I had heard of them, so my friend and I declined. So, yeah...hindsight and all that.

4. Pungent Stench
Approximate Makeup = Death: 70% / Grind: 30% / Fun Fact: I learned years later that the cover of "Been Caught Buttering" is actually one head split in half vertically down the back and folded outwards to look like two aged dudes. Of course, they're, or he is himself, kissing.

We'll not consider much past Been Caught as they moved away from death metal into that bluesy, stoner-ish vibe on later releases. And during their reunion, they seemed to release very straight ahead death metal from memory. So with the early EPs, splits, and first couple of records, there is a great meeting of death metal (the downtuned thrash variety) and definitive grind. There are many excellent examples of slide riffing happening during this era, particularly on the Disharmonic Orchestra split, which I enjoy via the excellent compilation release, Praise the Names of the Musical Assassins.

3. Repulsion
Approximate Makeup = Death: 25% / Grind: 75% / Fun Fact: They played in Brooklyn last summer. I did not go.

Rightfully credited with creating the grind format, I feel they had a bit of a death metal quality going on as well, especially with some of the riffs and the Slayer-esque solos. Slide riffs, distorted bass (the Scott Carlson bass grind!) and, of course, some of the earliest blasts were done by them, all of which helped to define grind. I really should have gone to see them when they played here last year. I've never seen them, and I have no idea if I'll ever get an easier chance. Honestly, I can chalk it up to laziness, as the fire for show-going seems to fizzle with age.

2. Carcass
Approximate Makeup = Death: 65% / Grind: 15% / Fun Fact: Due to Swansong, the band only amounts to 80% (ouch!)

I think Reek is really the only thing they did that can be considered grind and I've always thought of them as a death metal band. There are surely some grinding parts on Reek and maybe some on Symphonies, but I think of the majority of Symphonies and definitely all of Necrotisicm are death metal. I'm not sure why these guys have been called the "gods of grind" when it wasn't their strongest characteristic. I would like to go on and say that I find Necroticism to be the finest death metal release ever. It still sounds fresher than just about any heavy music made in the last 18-19 years since its release. If I never heard it, I would believe someone if they told me it came out today.

1. Hemdale
Approximate Makeup = Death: 60% / Grind: 40% / Fun Fact: My daddy wants to sell you flowies

Uh oh, look out...gore! Both the Flourishing drummer, Brian, and I used to mailorder from Visceral Productions when it was around, which was Hemdale drummer Craig Rowe's label/distro. I still have the old distro lists and catalogs, which were getting more and more comical over time with descriptions of their releases, especially Hemdale's. Let it be known that Hemdale is the definition of death/grind. I can think of no other band who combines both so well into one whole. I only wish that the album "Jerry's Massage Parlor" was realized. As far as I know, it was recorded, but never released and I've never come into contact with anyone who had it. The last song I know of that was released was on the Relapse Solid comp and I've always thought that song was the only thing that ever got oaut from that album.
krudmonk
Bonestorm 13

Re: The Difference Between Grindcore and Death Metal

Post by krudmonk »

Awesome analysis from a high school sophomore.
UGH! HEEEYYYYY!!!!!!!
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

Decibel = Gay: 80% / Suck: 20%
Vagectomy
I like to smell things.

Post by Vagectomy »

SICK THREAD! :moreawesome:
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

Pungent Stench only had a couple of 'grind' songs
Dann O)))
wolves evolve...

Post by Dann O))) »

Sneaker choices, or bathing habits.

you decide.
Vagectomy
I like to smell things.

Post by Vagectomy »

zombiehead wrote:Pungent Stench only had a couple of 'grind' songs
They blurred the lines.
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Post by Zerohero »

:immediateresponsetothurberpost:
rileyo wrote:i like that she's wearing high heels &stockings to get fucked by dead pigs,that's some real forward thinking metal right there
LordDarksoul wrote:Thanks for the concern, Fucktractor.
BUNGVOX wrote:i don't want metallica to shit their pants. i want metallica to shit MY pants.
Vagectomy
I like to smell things.

Post by Vagectomy »

BOLT THROWER! That's all that needs said! Best death/grind band!
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

pro tip: mentioning your own band multiple times in an article is fucking gay
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

jon stewart deathgrind
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
RHT
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by RHT »

The difference is grind doesn't have faggy solos
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.

Post by soiled depends »

It takes this fucking idiot only six sentences to mention Daughters and Dillinger Escape Plan. Bravo Decibel... :lol:
Last edited by soiled depends on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

Where's Impetigo, you fucking faggot?
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

ok, so Jon Stewart, Gookstorm and a Lesbian start a death/grind band....................
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

Hotelfire wrote:So what sets grindcore apart from other fast, intense, and heavy genres? In my estimation, it comes down to the riffs.
this is an extremely bold claim. I need to read at least another 10,000 words on the subject before I can begin to believe it.
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

only if he was talking about bass riffs
Brian P.
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Brian P. »

DM is homophobic and G is full fisting man to man anal.
Music is the pleasure the mind gets by counting subconsciously.
Mari_Mar
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Mari_Mar »

Sweaty...
Pisscubes wrote:"Females, as a whole, are horrible, souless creatures bent on the destruction of males".
Gookstorm
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Gookstorm »

Excellent analysis of music classification without talking about the music itself for several paragraphs.
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR wrote:
Gookstorm wrote:Koreans hate Americans too much to ever fuck them, silly roundeyes.
obviously you never been to kunsan, osan, or seoul.
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

i always thought human remains was metalcore
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

zombiehead wrote:Decibel = Gay: 80% / Suck: 20%
that article is the reason i dont have any desire to read 'metal journalism'

pud: 100% / pud: 0%

egg management fee.