Black holes might be intelligent

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: Black holes might be intelligent

Post by Friendly Goatus »

Ross, check out some of this stuff that I posted on page 4 about neutron stars.
Friendly Goatus wrote:Fucking Neutron stars.
A neutron star is a type of remnant that can result from the gravitational collapse of a massive star during a Type II, Type Ib or Type Ic supernova event. Such stars are composed almost entirely of neutrons, which are subatomic particles without electrical charge and roughly the same mass as protons.
A neutron star is so dense that one teaspoon (5 milliliters) of its material would have a mass over 5.5×1012 kg, about 900 times the mass of the Great Pyramid of Giza.[7] The resulting force of gravity is so strong that if an object were to fall from a height of one meter it would only take one microsecond to hit the surface of the neutron star, and would do so at around 2000 kilometers per second, or 7.2 million kilometers per hour.[8]
big ass picture
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Fucking star quakes
A starquake is an astrophysical phenomenon that occurs when the crust of a neutron star undergoes a sudden adjustment, analogous to an earthquake on Earth. This happens regularly as the neutron star spins down. The original shape of the star is a very flat ellipsoid due to centrifugal forces. As the rotational speed decreases, the shape approaches a sphere. Since the crust is very stiff, this happens intermittently like an earthquake. The rotational speed of the star is measured with very high accuracy, so the star shape, size of quake, and stiffness of the crust is accurately measurable.
The largest recorded event that some suggest was caused by a starquake occurred on the ultracompact stellar corpse (magnetar) SGR 1806-20. It released gamma rays equivalent to 1036 kW in intensity. This starquake occurred 50,000 light years away; if it occurred within ten light years of Earth, it would have caused a mass extinction.

FUCKING STARQUAKES
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

love it
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
E.E 3.0
i never knew u existed

Post by E.E 3.0 »

dunno if i'd call those starquakes

methinks they didn't consult a geophysicist on that one
E.E 3.0
i never knew u existed

Post by E.E 3.0 »

more like star-loosening yr belt when youve had too much to eat and you let a nasty ass fart out
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.

Post by soiled depends »

I am stoked on huge observatories like that Very Large Telescope or whatever the fuck they call that massive instrument in Europe. The next ten years will yield incredible images of the universe, no doubt about it...
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

jakebonz@work
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jakebonz@work »

This starquake occurred 50,000 light years away; if it occurred within ten light years of Earth, it would have caused a mass extinction.
The only problem I have with statements like these are the fact that the Supernova that created the Neutron Star would probably have killed us all long before the deadly space farts.
Assplay!!!
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Assplay!!! »

I'll read the article later, but until then...

fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

had a dream about fucking Enceladus last night.
jakebonz@work
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jakebonz@work »

I hope this wasn't posted already, but...

http://www.heavens-above.com/solar-esca ... t=0&tz=CET

It does the calculation each time you visit, so you get a fairly "up-to-date" position.

What I also find amazing is that Voyager 1 & 2 are still functioning.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Can Frickin' Slayer tell me what happens when Pioneer 10 is rising in Taurus?
soiled depends

Post by soiled depends »

do they project when 1 & 2 will stop functioning?
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

:tup: to the vid

:tdown: to typical youtube comments

"Jesus is future king of earth, repent for his judgement comes. Jesus loves you"

"I allready Know this.... coz I saw Star Wars ahhah"

"The only way we could ever visit another planetary system is if the inhabitants of that planet find their way here and show us how to get there in a short period of time. There are billions of planets in our solar system alone, of course we are not alone. However, we dont have the technology to physically go there. If they come to us (which I believe they've already found us) then they may boost our technology and then who knows the possibilities."
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Post by Zerohero »

rileyo wrote:i like that she's wearing high heels &stockings to get fucked by dead pigs,that's some real forward thinking metal right there
LordDarksoul wrote:Thanks for the concern, Fucktractor.
BUNGVOX wrote:i don't want metallica to shit their pants. i want metallica to shit MY pants.
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

Is it bad form to post this here?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42100367/
No Cunting Elves
soiled depends

Post by soiled depends »

Honky Kong 64 wrote:Is it bad form to post this here?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42100367/

well...yes and no....

caldwell.the.great
San Dimas High school football rules!

Post by caldwell.the.great »

Necrometer wrote:fucking scientists
"you can't eat a sandwich with a clenched fist."
"I wish it was programmed to feel pain....I'd like to teach Watson a lesson in street knowledge....."
http://laughtrack.wordpress.com
jakebonz@work
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jakebonz@work »

Neat!
jakebonz
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by jakebonz »

BREAK NEWS

http://io9.com/#!5789567/fermilab-physi ... at-we-know
Fermilab physicists about to announce the discovery of "a new force beyond what we know"

Alasdair Wilkins — At 5:00 PM Eastern, Fermilab scientists will announce a major discovery. The early word is that this is not the Higgs boson, but instead something completely unexpected. Tune into Fermilab's livestream here, and we'll have full coverage after the announcement.

Speaking to the AFP, project physicist Giovanni Punzi offered this early comment:
"There could be some new force beyond the force that we know. If it is confirmed, it could point to a whole new world of interactions.

"The Higgs-boson is a piece that goes into the puzzle that we already have. Whereas this is something that goes a little bit beyond that — a new interaction, a new force. [This] is decaying in normal quarks. It has different features. One thing we know for sure — it is not the Higgs-boson. That is the only thing we know for sure."
We'll have more after the official announcement.
Edit: That's in about a half hour from this post
caldwell.the.great

black holes currently ripping a sun to shreds, and we're watching it

http://www.universetoday.com/84694/spac ... explosion/
Most galaxies, including our own, contain central black holes with millions of times the sun’s mass; those in the largest galaxies can be a thousand times larger. The disrupted star probably succumbed to a black hole less massive than the Milky Way’s, which has a mass four million times that of our sun

Astronomers previously have detected stars disrupted by supermassive black holes, but none have shown the X-ray brightness and variability seen in GRB 110328A. The source has repeatedly flared. Since April 3, for example, it has brightened by more than five times.

Scientists think that the X-rays may be coming from matter moving near the speed of light in a particle jet that forms as the star’s gas falls toward the black hole.

“The best explanation at the moment is that we happen to be looking down the barrel of this jet,” said Andrew Levan at the University of Warwick in the United Kingdom, who led the Chandra observations. “When we look straight down these jets, a brightness boost lets us view details we might otherwise miss.”
"I wish it was programmed to feel pain....I'd like to teach Watson a lesson in street knowledge....."
caldwell.the.great

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/26626/
Planets Could Orbit Singularities Inside Black Holes

The discovery of stable orbits inside certain kinds of black hole implies that planets and perhaps even life could survive inside these weird objects, says one cosmologist.

It's easy to imagine that black holes gobble up everything they encounter, consigning this stuff to eternal oblivion. Right?

Well, not quite. Today, Vyacheslav Dokuchaev at the Institute for Nuclear Research of the Russian Academy of Sciences in Moscow points out that certain black holes can have a complex internal structure. And that this structure ought to allow photons, particles and perhaps even planets to orbit the central singularity without ever getting sucked all the way in.
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

caldwell.the.great wrote:http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/26626/
Planets Could Orbit Singularities Inside Black Holes

The discovery of stable orbits inside certain kinds of black hole implies that planets and perhaps even life could survive inside these weird objects, says one cosmologist.

It's easy to imagine that black holes gobble up everything they encounter, consigning this stuff to eternal oblivion. Right?

Well, not quite. Today, Vyacheslav Dokuchaev at the Institute for Nuclear Research of the Russian Academy of Sciences in Moscow points out that certain black holes can have a complex internal structure. And that this structure ought to allow photons, particles and perhaps even planets to orbit the central singularity without ever getting sucked all the way in.
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

jakebonz wrote:BREAK NEWS

http://io9.com/#!5789567/fermilab-physi ... at-we-know
Fermilab physicists about to announce the discovery of "a new force beyond what we know"

Alasdair Wilkins — At 5:00 PM Eastern, Fermilab scientists will announce a major discovery. The early word is that this is not the Higgs boson, but instead something completely unexpected. Tune into Fermilab's livestream here, and we'll have full coverage after the announcement.

Speaking to the AFP, project physicist Giovanni Punzi offered this early comment:
"There could be some new force beyond the force that we know. If it is confirmed, it could point to a whole new world of interactions.

"The Higgs-boson is a piece that goes into the puzzle that we already have. Whereas this is something that goes a little bit beyond that — a new interaction, a new force. [This] is decaying in normal quarks. It has different features. One thing we know for sure — it is not the Higgs-boson. That is the only thing we know for sure."
We'll have more after the official announcement.
Edit: That's in about a half hour from this post
WHAT HAPPENED HERE

IS THE ORGONEZ
fvkk
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

jakebonz@work wrote:What I also find amazing is that Voyager 1 & 2 are still functioning.
Of course, Voyager will crash on a planet of robots, which will improve and reprogram it to accomplish its mission, which is to re-connect with its creator.
jakebonz@work
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jakebonz@work »

Goodnight, sweet prince of several hundred yards around your landing site.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110530.html

Edit: Spoiler'd for big image
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Last Panorama of the Spirit Rover on Mars

This is the last thing that the Spirit rover on Mars ever saw. Operating years beyond original expectations, Spirit eventually got mired in martian dirt and then ran out of power when investigating the unusual Home Plate surface feature on Mars. Visible in the above panorama are numerous rocks and slopes of the surrounding Columbia Hills of Mars. The strange hill with the light colored top, visible near the top center of the image, has been dubbed von Braun and was a future destination when Spirit got bogged down. A leading hypothesis holds that von Braun is related to martian volcanism. Last week, NASA stopped trying to contact Spirit after numerous attempts. Half a world away, Spirit's sister rover Opportunity continues to roll toward Endeavour Crater, which could become the largest crater yet visited by an earthling-created robot.
Cascade Whore
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Location: A sterilized but unpressed gift from a nose-holding charity which passes out clothing to slum drunks

Post by Cascade Whore »

Wank night's cancelled