Re: Nerdly Board Games?

Post by Necrometer »

:tup: sweet smells for all
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Cabin sleeps 8. Invited 9. Probably 5 coming.

We like the "finish the story" games but usually gets to toilet humor after only a round or two. Boo makes me read them in the voice of Daniel Plainview.
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

Geeheeb wrote:Cabin sleeps 8. Invited 9. Probably 5 coming.
:moreawesome:

the skymall one is great because those products are all over the place price-wise. they're all trash, but it's really hard to guess the price since some are inflated as hell, like the $700 laser helmet that stops balding. you gotta tell the flying person not to look, preventing cheating!

what are the mechanics of finish the story? it's an exquisite corpse thing?
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

never heard the real term, but YES.

To keep thread on track, taking Mansions of Madness which probably won't get played but Elder Sign will.

No electricity so we can't listen to Gnaw Their Tongues or Portal during battle with Great Old One, just FURIOUS BANJO.
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
DR. THRAXX
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DR. THRAXX »

Bring a cribbage board
$$$$$ RaP GaME WiLL RaHMeR $$$$$
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

DR. THRAXX wrote:Bring a cribbage board
suggest variants for 5 people
DR. THRAXX
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DR. THRAXX »

I've played three handed and partner cribbage, but never 5 person.

You can print out a set of Cards Against Humanity

http://cardsagainsthumanity.com
$$$$$ RaP GaME WiLL RaHMeR $$$$$
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

yeah i actually downloaded that earlier and didn't think it was right for this crowd. thanks man!
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

Don't jump into the boardgame world often, though I'd love to get delve more frequently - played Munchkins at a friends house a few weeks ago, wound up thoroughly impressed. Keep thinking about buying it, but I'm not sure that I'd be able to get enough interested people together often enough to make it work :cry:

http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/gameboard/
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

oh one other thing is story dice kinda like this Rory's Story Dice but we write out things along a theme. just did this with sci-fi sterotyes before (we have ROBOT, TIME TRAVEL, FRIENDLY ALIENS, UNFRIENDLY ALIEN, etc). roll 9 die, select 6 things from 9 lists (some things like ROBOT are repeated). tell story.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

DR. THRAXX wrote:You can print out a set of Cards Against Humanity

http://cardsagainsthumanity.com
cards against humanity is pretty fun - my GF's roommate DIY'd a set for my GF's birthday, and each of them subsequently purchased every possible thing (once sets were back in stock). I definitely enjoy the "pick 2" cards the most, and nothing tops the haiku card :invcross:
Last edited by Necrometer on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
electronichamz
git help.

Post by electronichamz »

Jame, Munchkin rules
Hostage Grenade II wrote:Plastikman is actually not made of plastic
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

i always wanted to try it out, so maybe i just will
electronichamz
git help.

Post by electronichamz »

I have the goth vampire one. It rules. There is a Conan one and a Cthulhu one that I want to play.
Hostage Grenade II wrote:Plastikman is actually not made of plastic
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

electronichamz wrote:I have the goth vampire one. It rules. There is a Conan one and a Cthulhu one that I want to play.
It was serious breakneck fun. Biding your time and then unleashing hell to sabotage the fuck out of a motherfucker as soon as they're about to win = gorgeous.

The version of the game I was playing wasn't vanilla, I believe - it used a board, and not a modular peicemeal one like I see they make. I guess the original was cards only?

The sets we used were fantasy/dungeon themed (the normal kind I'm guessing) with some zombie stuff mixed in. Someone told me that there was a 'superhero' version and I think I detected a bit of nervous caution in their voice like I could possibly get too excited or something :lol:

I will never play a cthulhu game.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

james wrote:
I will never play a cthulhu game.
this is silly. why? does the mythos frighten you? there's some excellent games based upon lovecraft's work. you're doing yourself a disservice to avoid them for something so petty as "it's too trendy" or "it makes me pee myself because i'm a faggot that can't handle things outside of my well constructed fantasy reality".
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

Non-lovecraft Lovecraft is horrible. There's no essential integrity to any of it, it's all just referential and derivative in the worst possible sense... none of his monsters or ideas really work outside of the original stories imho. I don't want to see people imitate his language and I've certainly never found any extrapolation or expansion of the mythos (the real one) that I thought stood on its own, or justified itself through high-quality content.

All that said; I don't really play tabletop games at all, so I suppose they could be good games in and of themselves... all of this is coming from my experiences with lovecraft culture in other areas of geekdom. That has been enough to leave me with a very strong distaste for the idea, and it has always seemed as though that Call of Cthulhu game looms largest amongst the offending legion.

Incomprehensible, anticosmic, indifferent, inexplicable - so let's chart it all out, define every creature and deity and chart their relationships, explain exactly what each one is and they're doing - then roll a die, consult a table, and assign a number to precisely how insane your character is...?

I would rather explore something with almost any other theme. I usually despise elitist attitudes, especially when it comes to stuff that's ultimately quite trivial and should be pursued lightheartedly... but in this case I guess I can't help it.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

james wrote:Non-lovecraft Lovecraft is horrible. There's no essential integrity to any of it, it's all just referential and derivative in the worst possible sense... none of his monsters or ideas really work outside of the original stories imho. I don't want to see people imitate his language and I've certainly never found any extrapolation or expansion of the mythos (the real one) that I thought stood on its own, or justified itself through high-quality content.
hellow weekend warrior. gotten that ride checked on recently? yes? good. ride hard for the weekend.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

:lol: so I'm a poser because I don't want the aftermarket product?
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

no. how old are you? your post read like a "fuck slipknot, i listen to only true detah metal cannibal corpse!" type of rant.

but yeah you can label shit "aftermarket false" if it makes you feel special and different. of course it's all shit compared to the original, james. here's your bottle, hon.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

I'm a lot younger than you, and about three times as articulate!

What you've said above has no internal consistency whatsoever - I can't be both a weekend warrior and some sort of elitist. I clearly never went as far as to actually call the non-Lovecraft Lovecraftia 'false'; all I said was that I didn't like it at all, and I think I did a pretty good job of explaining why.

My post is far less a rant than your own, or any post you've made recently for that matter!

So which am I - a weekend warrior casual who can't handle the horror of tabletop role-playing, a snobby high elven cultist elite, or simply someone whose completely subjective taste in niche fantasy writing deviates from your own?

Ten million ways to die choose one.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

james wrote: My post is far less a rant than your own, or any post you've made recently for that matter!
your vern post is the epitome of a rant, jame. the first two sentences alone are full of angst and "my opinion! suck it, pleb!"

and you're definitely a casual masquerading as a cultist elite, but i always knew that about you. it's ok. you look very svelte in that cloak, so go with it.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

a world of no wrote:
james wrote: My post is far less a rant than your own, or any post you've made recently for that matter!
your vern post is the epitome of a rant, jame. the first two sentences alone are full of angst and "my opinion! suck it, pleb!"

and you're definitely a casual masquerading as a cultist elite, but i always knew that about you. it's ok. you look very svelte in that cloak, so go with it.
This is the sound of you losing! You lose because you don't have enough good words!

What I posted was not a rant and you know it - you just don't like it because you don't agree with it, which upsets you, because you are not mature enough to handle opposing opinions on subjective issues. You're instead predictably resorting to name-calling, which is again a failure to engage in (interesting) discussion like an adult.

I suppose I am a casual in terms of gaming, although that isn't something that I'm at all ashamed of. I outlined that quite clearly in my post above, in fact! I would love to tromp around in make-believe worlds with dice and whatnot, becoming a more seasoned fantasy berserker, but thus far in life I have been denied the experience. I would think though that for most people this would not be an issue of shame or honor, that is a very peculiar accusation to make :lol:

If I had a cloak I would wear it right now and take a picture of myself being younger and smarter than you. Unfortunately I only own modern clothing!

To everyone else - I am sorry to have polluted this thread with cheap, uninteresting internet horseshit. If somebody who isn't an angry idiot would like to talk shop on Lovecraft, call me a fool, or show me the ropes I am always interested :idea:
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

james wrote:
a world of no wrote:

This is the sound of you losing! You lose because you don't have enough good words!
i made my point in a succinct and pointed manner. you, meanwhile, as always... go on and on and on... making little point, but doing a good job as masquerading as an "adult" with your "words" and being all self-important and fucking accusatory and quirky! good job! good job, james!
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
that was me insulting you.
here then: you obviously aren't aware of the grand variety of lovecraft based gaming that's available, as most everyone in this thread that you've never fucking posted in before can attest to. if you bothered perusing the thread you'd see that for yourself. all of it is very well developed and produced, and provides hours of entertainment to even the most discerning of nerds.

oh wait.. but i forgot about this rant where you basically walled yourself off to trying new stuff because you don't like new stuff that isn't original.
james wrote:Non-lovecraft Lovecraft is horrible. There's no essential integrity to any of it, it's all just referential and derivative in the worst possible sense... none of his monsters or ideas really work outside of the original stories imho. I don't want to see people imitate his language and I've certainly never found any extrapolation or expansion of the mythos (the real one) that I thought stood on its own, or justified itself through high-quality content.
nice rant.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

You have made no points! You called me angsty, immature, casual, elitist, svelte, and called my post a rant - these are adjectives, not arguments. All saving throws botched, your score is zero.