Post something negative that happened today

Music posts are a bannable offense.
the awesome Assassin
Sweet Lord _______

Re: Post something negative that happened today

Post by the awesome Assassin »

It's always something... Isn't it spacehamster...
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

the awesome Assassin wrote:It's always something... Isn't it spacehamster...
Well, yeah, that's why it's funny.

Incidentally, though, the Swiss government just banned the sale of the potentially affected models pending further investigation, and it's only Euro 5 engines - mine's a Euro 6. Looks like I'm in the clear.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Black Jacques
Sweet Lord _______

Post by Black Jacques »

I love thinking about the boardroom meeting where the cheat was discussed and all the people who had to've bought into the idea. And the technicians on the assembly line or the guys coding the computer... "what's this for again?" "uh... traction control"

It's likely just the tip of the iceberg too - VW aren't the only one selling green conscience. Auto manufacturing may as well be the Tour de France.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Black Jacques wrote:I love thinking about the boardroom meeting where the cheat was discussed and all the people who had to've bought into the idea. And the technicians on the assembly line or the guys coding the computer... "what's this for again?" "uh... traction control"
I read up on this stuff a bit and it turns out other companies have done similar things, just for larger trucks, never for regular cars. What's new is really the size of the scam, and the fact that it's a company with a previously impeccable reputation like VW.
It's likely just the tip of the iceberg too - VW aren't the only one selling green conscience.
Yeah, it's funny how few journalists seem willing to point this out just yet - this is probably just the foreplay to a much bigger industry wide scandal and the complete tanking of the market for diesel engines, which is massive in Europe, unlike the US. VW's diesels didn't massively outperform the competition, they just used this software to get comparable performance and still meet emission standards under testing conditions. And now they want us to believe that somehow VW's engineers were the only ones who couldn't pull this off without cheating? Seems far more likely that everyone did this.

And then the next question is, are they still doing it. The Euro 5 standard was replaced about a year ago, and the current story is that engines built for the new Euro 6 standard over the last 12 months are clean. Now I don't know jack shit about the engineering involved, but I find that difficult to believe. These standards get tighter all the time, if anything. I certainly hope it's true somehow, though, because if my car's affected by the recall, I figure no matter what they do, I'll lose a five figure amount of money in the process.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Impeccable reputation but for ITS ASSOCIATION WITH HITLER
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

ahahahahaha

good postin', though, Mike. FWIW this is an immense news story here. my understanding is that consumers might be able to decide whether or not they bring their car in for the recall, putting the environmental abuse into their hands: either keep hyper-polluting while getting nice fuel efficiency, or bring it in for conversion to a greener ride that, ironically, guzzles more gas
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Necrometer wrote:consumers might be able to decide whether or not they bring their car in for the recall, putting the environmental abuse into their hands: either keep hyper-polluting while getting nice fuel efficiency, or bring it in for conversion to a greener ride that, ironically, guzzles more gas
So you can drive a car that doesn't meet emission standards? How does that work legally? AFAIK this is as much about emission standards in the US as it is here - the selling point wasn't the emissions, it was the mileage. And that's why they're worried about class-action lawsuits now. I know I'll be pissed if my fuel expenses suddenly go up by 50% or whatever this is going to mean.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

I was mistaken - at least in CA you won't be able to renew registration until you take care of recall stuff:
http://www.ktvu.com/news/24288925-story

So, yeah, more fuel costs and resale value is in the toilet. That's fucked. Sorry, man. Hitler strikes again.
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Hitler's final assault on Europe
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

riley-o wrote:Hitler's final assault on Europe
YEAH OKAY I DRIVE A HITLER CAR LEAVE ME ALONE.
Necrometer wrote:I was mistaken - at least in CA you won't be able to renew registration until you take care of recall stuff:
http://www.ktvu.com/news/24288925-story
That's what I would've figured. Emission standards aren't polite suggestions for potential Prius buyers.
So, yeah, more fuel costs and resale value is in the toilet.
And you get a tax deduction for fuel efficient cars here as well, which I'd also lose if it turns out the Euro 6 models are affected. Best case scenario, it'll actually turn out the car's clean, but its resale value will still be ruined because this is going to wipe out demand for all diesel cars. At least that'll give me a reason to drive it until it falls apart, which I was considering anyway. But if I end up having to blow 50% more on fuel and I lose thousands in resale value...

Here's an interesting read: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d0d7ba40-6394 ... z3msjmz3D6

Turns out several EU governments may have known that this was at least possible, but were lobbied by the industry not to do anything about it. Notice also how the conversation is not about Volkswagen, but all diesels. And if this is the result of lobbying in the EU, particularly Germany, it would also explain why Switzerland, a non-EU country, is almost the only one thus far that's banned the sale of the models in question.

I'm also still not buying this shit about the current generation of engines no longer having these defeat devices. That just seems to convenient - the Euro 6 norm took effect exactly a year ago. Unless they saw this coming, fixed the problem and hoped it wouldn't be detected in the older models, I guess.
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Post by hipster holocaust »

Post something boring that happened today...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Kidding. Good luck with the Hitlermobile, and be sure to tie your shoes in little nazis.
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Psh. This is the news story of the week.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

hopefully new software comes with more diverse emoji
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
godofdeadlydeath
I sure do have a lot of posts, lol.

Post by godofdeadlydeath »

It took me 2 hours to get to work today, when it usually takes me a little over an hour. Because rain, of course.
Stabbed in the eyes with a fucking caak...

https://soundcloud.com/mthomassteele
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

A little over an hour? In a car?
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
godofdeadlydeath

Yeah. My office is 45 miles away. I don't mind the average commute but whenever there's an accident or some weather it can be pretty brutal.

Black Jacques
Sweet Lord _______

Post by Black Jacques »

Drive a vw diesel, earth killer?
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

im guessing kia
godofdeadlydeath

Honda Civic. I usually only have to fill up my tank once a week.

Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

that is a little too sensible for a guy who buys in flames CDs in 2015
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

He must have a fucking hybrid because when I drove my Civic to college which was the same distance I would be filling that bastard up at least twice a week.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Boo had a civic hybrid and it's milage was around 40, not a hell of a lot better than the combustion model. Plus it would shit the bed about once a year, so it didn't have the reliability you'd expect. Prius was a hell ov a lot better
godofdeadlydeath

It's not a hybrid, I get over 400 miles to the tank and most of the drive is highway. For the record, I haven't bought a new In Flames CD since 2006, so there!

hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Maybe I was missing out on optimal milage from all of the ass I was hauling around :bigdog: