Game of Thrones reminder

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: Game of Thrones reminder

Post by Wang Mandu »

The Hodor reveal has me curious about other side character tricks GRRM has up his sleeve.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

someone make a gif of the waif uppercutting Arya.
godofdeadlydeath
I sure do have a lot of posts, lol.

Post by godofdeadlydeath »

riley-o wrote:I was getting chills all day thinking about it and thought it was one of the most powerful storylines they've put together
I agree. And kudos to the actor who played young Wyllis, that kid's performance during the seizure and the way it was directed were just devastating. It was really tragic. I had to watch the end scene of the episode again last night.
Stabbed in the eyes with a fucking caak...

https://soundcloud.com/mthomassteele
godofdeadlydeath

spacehamster wrote:
copstache wrote:I'm pretty sure the hodor thing is some of the dumbest shit this show has ever pulled
Since it's the explanation for his name, though, I'm gonna go ahead and guess it came from GRRM. I seriously doubt the showrunners would have the hubris to invent something like this on their own.

I like the idea that Hodor is Hodor because he had a traumatic seizure as a kid where he saw himself get torn apart by totally-not-zombies, but I have to agree it's not a great way for the guy to die because there's just nothing heroic about it. Bran just sacrificed him to save his own ass, that's all.
If Bran didn't save his own ass, he would not be able to potentially save the world with his powers. Yes, it's selfish, and yes, it's tragic, but if Hodor didn't die there, then Bran and Meera would have, and the Walkers and Wights would most certainly have less standing in their way on the path to conquer the world.

godofdeadlydeath

Wang Mandu wrote:The Hodor reveal has me curious about other side character tricks GRRM has up his sleeve.
I read this in a comments section on AVClub yesterday.

Me: I finally figured out why you have a character named “Hodor.”
Martin: Oh?
Me: I was thinking about your comment about wanting to be an elevator operator. It’s clear to me now that “Hodor” is short for “Hold the door.”
Martin: (laughing) You don’t know how close to the truth you are!

http://kotaku.com/someone-basically-gue ... 1778125312

spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

godofdeadlydeath wrote: If Bran didn't save his own ass, he would not be able to potentially save the world with his powers.
And if he hadn't warg'd into the past when he wasn't supposed to, none of it would've happened in the first place.

Which is all fine, you know, it's Game of Thrones, so everyone's an asshole, but that's what that was. Hodor died because Bran's an asshole.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
godofdeadlydeath

spacehamster wrote:
godofdeadlydeath wrote: If Bran didn't save his own ass, he would not be able to potentially save the world with his powers.
And if he hadn't warg'd into the past when he wasn't supposed to, none of it would've happened in the first place.

Which is all fine, you know, it's Game of Thrones, so everyone's an asshole, but that's what that was. Hodor died because Bran's an asshole.
Ok, fair point. If Bran hadn't felt the need to look into the White Walkers and the wight army, he wouldn't have gotten touched by the Night King, and they wouldn't have been able to attack the tree, which is what led to Hodor's adult life being ruined and also ending. I hadn't considered that it wasn't necessarily inevitable at all; it was because of Bran and his dumb actions. God damn it, Bran!

FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

no one has ever had to learn a lesson the hard way..
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Every film or show with zombies has someone that goofs up (usually due to selfish type waiz) and allows zombies entry into an otherwise secure place. This is nothing new.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

FVBTVS wrote:no one has ever had to learn a lesson the hard way..
Sure, as a plot point and Bran finally fucking something up because he's a brat who won't listen, it's totally fine. I just don't see how it's a great sendoff for Hodor, really. He's pretty much the victim of Bran's bad decision.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
because Hodor is a fucking G, that's WHY and they don't have straight up G's in Switzerland I guess..

or VIRGINIA

or wherever

i didn't even give a fuck about the stupid Hodor gag until now. having your death amounting to something important on purpose is fucking stupid and almost beside the point. his death was poetry. he was into picking stuff up and putting things down and hanging out with his friends. and he may have experienced a fragment of his own death at a young age and yet he soldiered on doing those things he loved despite that. and he walked into annihilation doing stuff for his friends and he was probably cool with it. none of our stupid lives are going to amount to anything either'

so many people's death on the show have been objectively terrible and pointless, they got ground up in the gears of meaningless flanking and out flanking until they didn't know where they really stood in the scheme. hodor knew more than any one else :tup:

I have 8 children.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

FVBTVS wrote: he was into picking stuff up and putting things down
Hahaha.

Anyone of you chiefs that still use online dating sites NEED to put this down as your hobby.
godofdeadlydeath

FVBTVS wrote:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
because Hodor is a fucking G, that's WHY and they don't have straight up G's in Switzerland I guess..

or VIRGINIA

or wherever

i didn't even give a fuck about the stupid Hodor gag until now. having your death amounting to something important on purpose is fucking stupid and almost beside the point. his death was poetry. he was into picking stuff up and putting things down and hanging out with his friends. and he may have experienced a fragment of his own death at a young age and yet he soldiered on doing those things he loved despite that. and he walked into annihilation doing stuff for his friends and he was probably cool with it. none of our stupid lives are going to amount to anything either'

so many people's death on the show have been objectively terrible and pointless, they got ground up in the gears of meaningless flanking and out flanking until they didn't know where they really stood in the scheme. hodor knew more than any one else :tup:
This was beautiful.

Chad
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by Chad »

ThePhillyExperiment
ultimate EVIL

Post by ThePhillyExperiment »

spacehamster wrote: And if he hadn't warg'd into the past when he wasn't supposed to, none of it would've happened in the first place.
Bran didn't warg into the past, the 3-Eyed Raven brought him there at the end. I think the whole point of it was that the 3-Eyed Raven could show Bran that Bran could travel into the past, and could change it. (Hodor wasn't Hodor until Bran warg'd his brain.)

It's probably going to end up being Bran going into the past to try and stop the White Walkers from getting created. But like anything on this show, nothing ever goes to plan.

I want to see undead Children now.

And how many White Walkers are there? I thought I counted 12 or 13 during when Craster's baby was turned. 3 have been killed so far, so that leaves 10, including the king and the white walker baby. Also the tree isn't that far from the Wall, isn't it? It was like a week long trip, but they were pulling Bran so it's got to be closer then a week. They never showed how the White Walkers got around that sea. :?

Since when did Varys give that much of a shit about religion? That came out of the blue. A couple of stories or characters are getting thrown out there, and are major storylines, without any buildup.

I think the directors realized they've got too many characters and are killing them off cause they can't keep track of them all. This is a hell of a lot of main characters dying or leaving this season.
brobot wrote: "Some guy asked me if I was a robot...like a Relapse robot? I have no idea what he was talking about."
GLEN BENTON wrote: ONLY THING IS I LOOK AT THE GIRLS AT THE MOVIES, AND THERE BETWEEN 10 AND 14!
How Are Mortiis Goatse?!
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by How Are Mortiis Goatse?! »

It has been established that Varys hates magic users because a sorcerer cut off his dick when he was a boy to use it in a magic ritual, and since the followers of the Lord of Light are known for dabbling in sorcery he is suspicious of them. He told this story in one of the first seasons.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

i hope the voice varys heard when his dick was tossed in the fire was Bran's
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

:lol:

I have 8 children.
elephants gerald
One Of Many Accounts

Post by elephants gerald »

ThePhillyExperiment wrote:
spacehamster wrote: And if he hadn't warg'd into the past when he wasn't supposed to, none of it would've happened in the first place.
Bran didn't warg into the past, the 3-Eyed Raven brought him there at the end. I think the whole point of it was that the 3-Eyed Raven could show Bran that Bran could travel into the past, and could change it. (Hodor wasn't Hodor until Bran warg'd his brain.)

It's probably going to end up being Bran going into the past to try and stop the White Walkers from getting created. But like anything on this show, nothing ever goes to plan.

I want to see undead Children now..
Well isn't the point of the whole Hodor saga that he changed the past, but he only changed the past into what it already was and had to be? Time all exists at once. Trying to stop the creation of the white walkers would never work with this time travel logic. There are and must be white walkers in the present. Bran has to realize this. Traveling into the past is fucking pointless outside of the snooping applications.

And didn't the series start with an undead child of the forest? I know she looked a bit different than the children as they're presently being designed, but that was my assumption. Just a kid?
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Bran traveled back and snitched on Ned to Littlefinger and Cersei.
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

elephants gerald wrote:And didn't the series start with an undead child of the forest? I know she looked a bit different than the children as they're presently being designed, but that was my assumption. Just a kid?
Yeah, that was just a bitch ass wight kid, not a child of the forest
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
godofdeadlydeath

Ray wrote:
elephants gerald wrote:And didn't the series start with an undead child of the forest? I know she looked a bit different than the children as they're presently being designed, but that was my assumption. Just a kid?
Yeah, that was just a bitch ass wight kid, not a child of the forest
Yeah that was just a dead frozen little girl.

Iron Goldie
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Post by Iron Goldie »

copstache wrote:i hope the voice varys heard when his dick was tossed in the fire was Bran's
Bran is the one who drove the Mad King insane. He went back in time to warn the Mad King of the white Walkers, telling him the only way to destroy them it to burn them all. This causes the Mad King to go nuts.

Copyright 2016, George R R Martin
elephants gerald wrote:
ThePhillyExperiment wrote:

I want to see undead Children now..
Well isn't the point of the whole Hodor saga that he changed the past, but he only changed the past into what it already was and had to be? Time all exists at once. Trying to stop the creation of the white walkers would never work with this time travel logic. There are and must be white walkers in the present. Bran has to realize this. Traveling into the past is fucking pointless outside of the snooping applications.
Yes. He didn't "change" the past at all. It's why The Three Eyed Raven tells him "Listen to your friend" when he hears Meera yelling for him to warg into Hodor. It's an infinity loop. Bran was always the one who made Hodor a tard. The past can't be changed, unless D&D decide to do some massive asspull.
godofdeadlydeath

Iron Goldie wrote:
copstache wrote:i hope the voice varys heard when his dick was tossed in the fire was Bran's
Bran is the one who drove the Mad King insane. He went back in time to warn the Mad King of the white Walkers, telling him the only way to destroy them it to burn them all. This causes the Mad King to go nuts.

Copyright 2016, George R R Martin
I've seen this theory thrown around. While the Mad King muttering "Burn them all" does sound sort of like what happened to Hodor, explain Bran's motive in a way that makes any sense. Why would Bran go back to Aerys's time to warn him of the White Walkers, if the Walkers weren't actually coming for another 25 years? Why would Bran want to keep Aerys in power?

Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

That answer to those questions is because the theory is retarded.