The Dark Souls Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by Wang Mandu »

And they go down in 2-3 hits by the time you get there.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

If you level dex up to roughly 35-40, a straight katana will outclass a lightning weapon in terms of raw damage. Once you upgrade a weapon to lightning / magic / etc.., you lose the stat scaling. Up to you really as there are loads more weapons to be found and purchased.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

cubes, you should spend your slab on the uchi to make it normal +15. used that for the majority of my first playthrough when i beat the game. it absolutely slays.

wang, beards are confirmed for 2

few more things i've learned about DaSII. i'll post them in a spoiler tag below (none of it is story, world, or character related, just mechanics and stuff like that)
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
-when you first get your estus flask, you only get 1

-i'm pretty sure i read in the final build they got rid of the resistance stat. i originally read that they were going to make the stat actually useful this time around, then i heard they axed it altogether. i could be wrong

-the is kind of a doozy: certain enemies (no one knows what kind yet) will stop respawning after being killed several times. a developer said 15. hopefully this is just armored boar/anor londo gargoyle/channeler/prowling demon type guys, but who knows. they said it was to discourage heavy grinding and for the player to go out and experience more of the world. this is the tidbit that has most people worried. i think it's safe to say that we all trust from to not fuck anything up, but this one is a bit weird
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

Pisscubes wrote:the ol' farmin' hole
:lol:

RE: lightning (or any elemental) weapons. after about halfway through my first playthrough, I don't think I ever really used any elemental stuff, just normal weapons. there are some enemies who are super weak to various elements, so if you find a magic, lightning, fire, etc. weapon, they're worth holding onto, but I wouldn't dump too many of your souls into creating and upgrading one at this point.

I do think it's a good idea to try to upgrade a few different weapons for different situations though. it seems like you're doing a mix of strength and dex, so with those stats you should be able to wield a lot of stuff. it's convenient to have a bigger/heavier/slower weapon that brutalizes everything, as well as a quicker one that lets you get a bunch of hits in before rolling away. basically, just take a few swings with whatever decent new weapons you come across and you'll probably have a new favorite every now and then.

I'm still sore about DS2 not coming out on the next gen consoles. I WANT a reason to go out and buy a PS4, but DS2 guarantees I'll put it off for several more months at least. I wouldn't be surprised if they do port it eventually... honestly, if I don't already have a PS4 at that time, I'd probably finally get one just to play through DS2 again :oops:
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

if you gravitate towards more melee stuff now, you've leveled up just fine.

if you stick with the uchi, just keep upgrading DEX, VIT, and END. if you find some STR weapon you want to use, go for STR then. but i think you should stick with the DEX and the uchi. i beat the game my first time with uchi +15 and medium armor, pure melee. tore everything up

i want to experiment with magic more in 2.
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

you're definitely not dooming it because there are quite a few weapons that require moderate strength and dex levels. I would say most players try to do either strength or dex and then put some points into magic (for sorceries) or faith (for miracles), but the way you're doing it won't ruin the game or anything. but you're still early enough in the game that you could start focusing on one (most likely whichever stat has the highest scaling grade for your favorite weapons) and end up with a normal strength or dex build.

I woudn't worry too much about it, but I'd recommend leveling up either strength or dex for a specific reason rather than just alternating back and forth. like if you're using a weapon that has an A scaling rating for strength, I'd focus just on that for the time being. you'll see immediate benefits for sure.
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

yeah and find a weapon with an awesome move set and stick with that
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

IIRC, not a lot of weapons scale with faith. not a lot of really good weapons anyway. I could be wrong about that though.

the main reason a person wants to level up faith and/or magic is because a lot of miracles and sorceries require high levels of them. like I think one sorcercy requires a magic level of 55 (!). the advantage with magic or faith is if you have a character who already has a super high magic or faith stat and can use tons of sorcercies or miracles, and you then find a weapon that scales massively with that stat, suddenly you'll be able to wreck enemies with your magic AND that weapon and almost be unstoppable.

but as far as stat scaling for bonus damage is concerned, strength and dex are definitely the ones to focus on.... for now. you probably see why some people play through the game like 5 times, hah. there's so much shit to try out
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

oh yeah, if you're sticking with dex: make sure to grab the great scythe whenever you go to the catacombs.. it's found fairly early in that level. it scales really with dex (an S rating by the time you get to +10 I think) and its move set is ridiculous. it has great crowd control and can almost hit enemies behind you, but it can also beat the shit out of single enemies. that was my dex character's main weapon for like 150 hours. epicnamebro (probably the most well-known souls youtuber, if you haven't heard of him) had a series of videos where he chose the best weapon in dark souls and the great scythe was his final pick.

RE: magic at low levels. honestly I don't know, I didn't even bother with magic until my second playthrough. I think it would suck though... magic is generally a lot weaker than it was in demon's souls, where you could waltz through half the game because of it, and your uses are really limited. in demon's souls you could consume an item, refill your MP and basically cast magic all day long.

EDIT: great scythe was the best dex weapon according to ENB, not best weapon overall

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDWbZDWbnpI<
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

nope, you can use it like any normal weapon. but if you do choose to two-hand it... DESTRUCTION
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

More Aggro Mod shit. Beat O&S last night. Went back up into hell to pick up some Demon Titanite and other goodies I missed last runthrough. Some screens:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Poison the fucks, because 4 is just too much.
Went the roundabout way to find both fucking Archers in place. Also discovered that the Sentinels can walk on the long buttress walkways. I had 4 of them and more of the bat demons on my ass, so I ran up towards the archers and got an arrow in the back. 2nd run there were no Archers, but after hitting the bonfire one showed up back on the balcony. After taking care of him I turned around to see this.
Only way to take them is to bait one at a time, otherwise they turn into a silver death machine.
Got my shit, killed Laurtec for the Firelink Keeper soul and warped back there. NPCs that typically move will follow you with this mod.
"gaIS plz... no"
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Pisscubes wrote:Cool-- I'll start pouring shit into Dex since I'm pretty in love with the katana I have. I also have no miracle weapons so I guess I should up faith so I can do that and then start leveling up something else as a miracle weapon, yeah?
Don't put more than 40 points in to dexterity (or any stat for that matter), because you just end up with diminished returns on anything over. Try to stay within an overall level of 100-120 if you plan to PvP later on once you get gud and buf.

Edit: And only level strength enough to 1-hand your weapon of choice. Find one that scales dex and strength. Learn the scaling shit in the menu for the weapon: S=Best > A > B > C.. etc. Elemental isn't worth it really, as already mentioned, though Chaos can be good as it scales with your humanity. 10+ = good stuff.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

one weapon I remember off the top off my head is the Greatsword of Artorias, which requires at least level 18 for strength, dex, magic and faith, but you won't have a chance to use that for a while anyway. it's also not THAT great from what I remember.

about leveling up dex: your attack bonuses will slow down at level 40, but it's worth leveling dex to 45 because it also increases your casting speed... since you're using pyromancy, that can be useful.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

it's a little something called baller status..

look it up
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

I know it does two major things, and maybe more: increases your item discovery rate (so better chance of rare drops for example) and scales with chaos weapons and a few special weapons, like quelaag's furysword. so if you have 10 in the counter on the HUD you'll deal way more damage than with zero. quelaag's furysword can be made about halfway through the game and is pretty badass, but when I was using it I didn't even realize having some humanity made it stronger so I don't know much the damage boost is.

also, they're recoverable in your bloodstain along with your souls if you die.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Pisscubes wrote:I don't care much about PvP, really.

Wow-- sincerely, I'm shocked that you'd say after 40 points it's just not worth it. I thought I'd just keep leveling up and become a fucked up killing machine!

My katana levels up Dex, anything you want to recommend that does strength and dex?
1) I didn't care about PvP until I beat the game a few times with different builds. I decided to give it a proper go and found myself making specific builds just to PvP. Don't knock it. It's a great element to the game.

2) This game has been analyzed to death, and min/max character builds have become the norm to the point that only casual hacks implement them. Skilled players play in stupid ways with stupid builds because they can. Point is that stat scaling has been figured out. It's a waste to throw your souls away on leveling bullshit, so it's best to be choosy. http://darksouls.wikidot.com/stats
Spooky Apparition wrote:about leveling up dex: your attack bonuses will slow down at level 40, but it's worth leveling dex to 45 because it also increases your casting speed... since you're using pyromancy, that can be useful.
There was a video on youtube of a guy that compared cast speeds at different levels of dex, showing that raising dex to cast a fraction of a fraction of a second faster was a waste. I'll see if I can find it. There was like only a couple of spells that only slightly benefited from a high dex.
Last edited by a world of no on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i just want to throw my 2 cents in and say +15 zweihander :ax:

I have 8 children.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Last edited by a world of no on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

a world of no wrote:Don't knock it. It's a great element to the game.
when it's not laggy and people aren't spawn camping with cheap tactics, it's fucking amazing and basically a game on its own. when there are constant failed connections or it's laggy (which for me was about a third of the time) and you're getting backstabbed FROM THE FRONT and from 10 feet away, it's some of the worst PVP I've ever played.

but because of my love of the PVP when it's working properly, the dedicated servers and new covenants are the changes I'm looking most forward to in DS2. I had a fraction of the lag problems in Demon's Souls, so hopefully it's similar or improved.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

FVBTVS wrote:i just want to throw my 2 cents in and say +15 zweihander :ax:
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyA8odjCzZ4<
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i dont know if you're making fun of me but that was funny 8)

I have 8 children.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

FVBTVS wrote:i dont know if you're making fun of me but that was funny 8)
:lhug: A little bit of everything? :rhug:
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

You fucking cunts are making me start this game again :ax:
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

a world of no wrote:
FVBTVS wrote:i just want to throw my 2 cents in and say +15 zweihander :ax:
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyA8odjCzZ4<
:lol: :tup:
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

mlg pro references in darksouls pvp is gold

GOLD

I have 8 children.