The Dark Souls Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by a world of no »

A bow is a great weapon to have for Sen's. Aggro the snakemen from afar so they get pendulumed. Have that iron ring handy... You might need it if you lose your footing.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Pisscubes wrote: I recently went up from a short bow to a long bow, so maybe I should trick that out before I go there.

I'm early 50s for level-- dex 27, green and red bars around 24 and strength around 23. Sound sound enough for Sen's?

I actually should farm tonight and get my katana up to 15. It's currently kicking ass though-- if I quick hit enough in succession I can some times take off hundreds of points in a swing.

My flask is currently only up to +2-- I should do something about that. And I STILL don't have that fucking fire rite thing that lets me kindle a bunch more. FUCK, it's like I have a huge to-do list before Sen's :evil:
Your level is fine. Long bow is a good bow to level up, though I prefer the Pharis bow for it's better distance and accuracy, but then I only use it for long distance sniping.

Hold off on that 15 level Katana... Go 14 and play with that. Reason being is that there's so many great weapons in the game that could possibly suit you better, so try other stuff. You have to use a Slab to go 15 on most regular upgrades, and they are not fucking easy to come by, so hold on to them until you find a weapon your in absolute love with and pull the trigger. I say this because I've wasted slabs on bullshit in the past and ended up spending hours grinding new londo for more slabs. Try different weapons. Check out their entire moveset (r1/r2, 2-handed r1/r2, jumping attack, rolling attack, offhand attack, backstep attack, etc). There's an Uchi in blighttown that is basically the Katana with a different R2 attack that's a horizontal slash as opposed to the Katana's stab. I actually prefer that one, because I like wide swinging weapons.

For a dex build you want to check out weapons like the Great Scythe, Fachion, Rapier, All of the katanas, All of the Daggers, Balder Side Sword, Murakumo, Estoc, Halberd/Warpick/Spears in general, and tons of others. I recommend the scythe, halberd, rapier, falchion, the katanas, and balder side sword. They all scale well with dex, have great movesets, and will take you endgame and beyond if you crank them up to +15. Once you get good at backstabbing and parry/riposte then the rapier, estoc, and many of the daggers will crank out one hit kills due to their high critical damage.

Oh, and you need to go through the skeleton graveyard to kindle your bonfires. I would... wait. Get through Sen's and Anor Londo first maybe. You've got so much fun awaiting you.

I think these speedruns have been posted before, but this one is pretty crazy. Makes me feel like I play like an asshole.
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImMOdTxtf-s<
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Whats killing you? The fatties with clubs? That's probably the easiest route out of blighttown.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Watching that video run. The tomb of the giants run at 38... holy fucking shit.

And at 46 he bypasses ceaseless discharge by rolling through lava??? I didn't know that was possible.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Is he even using a divine weapon down there or just knocking fools down and running?

Huhh...how do I get to the bed of chaos again? Running up that tall tree in the blight town swamp?
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Ghost Dad wrote:Is he even using a divine weapon down there or just knocking fools down and running?

Huhh...how do I get to the bed of chaos again? Running up that tall tree in the blight town swamp?
He runs the entire game using a bow and black knight halberd using red tear stone. it's all memorization of everything, including enemy location and attack. that shit was insane to watch.

Bed of Chaos:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
past the demon ruins, past ceaseless, past demon firesage, and centipede demon, unless you ahve the lost izalith shortcut open.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Pisscubes wrote:The way that dude hits blighttown-- just rolls off cliffs and ends up perfectly on the wheel to go down? Holy FUCK. And then just rolls through the swamp, gets poisoned and fights and que-bitch with about 1/5 of his power bar? Christ.
He's using the red tearstone ring, which is like +40% damage when you're below 20% health. It's risky, but fucks shit up if you can keep from getting hit.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

I've been skipping through this other one he did: Super Glass Cannon - Permagravelorded, Aggression mod, 1-HP, No Shield, Sorcery only run... Fucking hell.
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfltf41i7iM<

And he's wearing armor while playing.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Pisscubes wrote:What is he doing around the 32 minute mark in the first movie when he's fucking around on the elevator and quitting and reloading a few times?
There's a sequence breaking shortcut in that area that involves jumping onto the railing as it's going down, letting you roll off onto a balcony that normally requires you to go through a lot of shit and staircase manipulation to access to the end part of that level. He does a fuckload of shortcuts throughout the run that shaves off tons of time overall. The Demon Ruins one alone was crazy, bypassing Ceaseless Discharge entirely.

He was reloading because he kept missing the elevator railing and had to redo it.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Menu swapping is important for speedruns and for high-end PvP for crazy "cheats". Basically, you can start an attack with one weapon, run into the menu and quickly select another more powerful weapon, which ends the moveset of the original weapon with the newly selected weapon. Results are some high damage weapons doing insane movesets.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChUft-FKtGk<
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJCNgFk55dk<

This shit is considered cheating by many people though, despite a good bit of skill needed to pull it off. Personally though I don't care. If it's part of the game, even if it is a glitch, it's fair game. I'd rather someone swap/tumblebuff me than R1 spam, or Dark Magic spam. The glitch requires skillz. Spamming requires nothing.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Some people are crazy good at the game. I've watched a few pvp compilaltion videos and that inventory switching stuff streven talked about blew mind the first time. I have had moments in the game when I had the wrong weapon or ring and quickly switched but never in mid swing lol.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

I just finally right now realized that the revived at a bonfire noise is really close to the one from the back from commercial noise in Law & Order
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Sigh. Well, looks like I'm back too. Just wrapped up my umpteenth Demon's Souls playthrough, and that reminded me I have unfinished business with this game that would be... nice to take care of before II comes out.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Lol, considering the shit you have to go through to get near it, you'll get pissed really quick unless you look up where the bonfire is.

those titanite demons are tougher than the boss in sens....

Anyone actually try playing with the caestus for any length of time?
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Ghost Dad wrote:Anyone actually try playing with the caestus for any length of time?

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYdBV-6bH60<
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Once you get past the highest skinny axe bridge, it'll lead you outside. Be careful, because its in that area, but there's a really annoying hazard that can get you before accessing the fire. Also, the fire is kinda hidden....
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Ghost Dad wrote:Also, the fire is kinda hidden....
look for orange message hints.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

a world of no wrote:
Pffft, if pvp is your thing. He one time I got shit on my a chaos uchi wielding skeleton man, that was enough.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

If you want to see more messages, Seek Guidance miracle is your best bet and includes more developer messages.

Saw this one yesterday. :shock:

a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Ghost Dad wrote:
a world of no wrote:
Pffft, if pvp is your thing. He one time I got shit on my a chaos uchi wielding skeleton man, that was enough.
hahaha.. what??
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

a world of no wrote: I think these speedruns have been posted before, but this one is pretty crazy. Makes me feel like I play like an asshole.
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImMOdTxtf-s<
just watched this..

fucking unbelievable :oops:
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Yeah.....that was the hazard....uh....at least now you know what to watch for?
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

I think he's weak to lightning. Try focusing your attacks on just one leg-for hilarious results
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Wang Mandu wrote:
Ghost Dad wrote:Anyone actually try playing with the caestus for any length of time?

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYdBV-6bH60<
Heheheh :star: :beer:
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Fucking Artorias on NG+. Fucking FUCK. I think I'm going to have to dump this character I've put 150+ hours into and start over, seriously.

Also, what's the general consensus on light and fast vs tanks in this game as compared to Demon's Souls? I basically modeled this character after what originally worked best for me in DS - jack up END until I can roll in armor, max out Magic Bastard Sword, bring a big shield, block and counter. That worked fine for the first playthrough, but I seem to be hitting the ceiling in NG+ now, and a bit of experimenting with lighter gear and a +9 magic Uchigatana has me thinking that may not have been the best idea. Damage output of the Uchigatana is seriously almost the same as the bastard sword, and it's way less of a drain on stamina, obviously.

Not that that's made any fucking difference with Artorias. Did I mention I... FUCK.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.