Prometheus - Ridley Scott's Alien 'prequel' *SPOILERS*

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Re: Prometheus HD Trailer ....Ridley Scott's Alien 'prequel'

Post by Ray »

he said you a stupid
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

Ray wrote:he said you a stupid
it's u
ImageImageImage
Dr Yail Bloor
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Dr Yail Bloor »

Don't know if this has been posted but justched it and holy shit!

rtsp://v7.cache6.c.youtube.com/CjYLENy73wIaLQkQUCvBppRFNxMYJCAkFEIJbXYtZ29vZ2xlSARSBXdhdGNoYIThlJHgvtqXTww=/0/0/0/video.3gp
\m/Johnny\m/ wrote:
I guess there's crippling, life shattering levels of alcoholism, and then there's Lemmy.
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

bloor you fuckin imbecile.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

FOE function wins again
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

and it's however many hours later, retard still hasn't even fixed it

fucking amateur
The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

the video is pretty awesome though

The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

I'm sure David is asexual but every time I look at him I just get sad because I know whats going on down there :(
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I really want to believe this viral stuff is somehow indicative of the level of intelligence at work in the actual movie. I really do. But I've had my heart broken before.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

Post by Whee of the Dead »

spacehamster wrote:I really want to believe this viral stuff is somehow indicative of the level of intelligence at work in the actual movie. I really do. But I've had my heart broken before.
I've just been telling myself "at least it will look cool."
cranial separation

SEX WITH HER SEVERED HEAD
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

the viral stuff is pretty mediocre, intellectually...
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Necrometer wrote:the viral stuff is pretty mediocre, intellectually...
I think it's indicative of a pretty mature type of sci-fi writing that generally stays away from typical genre trappings and/or uses them as instruments, not as ends in themselves. The problem is that because we're talking about three-minute viral videos, all they really have to do is hint at something greater that may or may not eventually turn out to be there.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

OK

I think they set the bar high for taste, for sure

not really seeing any new/special ideas on display there, though

the most recent one would be much more effective if Scott hadn't been scooped by Blade Runner
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Necrometer wrote: not really seeing any new/special ideas on display there, though
Yeah, that's true. If anything, the FassBot one is actually a bit worrying as far as that goes. Mega-corporations is still interesting and relevant, and while it's not a new idea, it's at least possible to do something reasonably original with it that actually... you know, means something. Robots has been done to death and it's essentially a sci-fi trope from back when people still thought we'd have artificial intelligence any day now and that that somehow raised interesting ethical questions. Asimov and all that. And I don't see how they're doing anything else with it here, it's just really well done esthetically.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

:cheers: totally agreed on the bar being set high for aesthetic intelligence
badgevvrecker
I know you are but what am I?

Post by badgevvrecker »

the guy who loves avatar is having doubts........
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

:awesome:
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
badgevvrecker

Post by badgevvrecker »

spacehamster wrote:
Necrometer wrote: not really seeing any new/special ideas on display there, though
Yeah, that's true. If anything, the FassBot one is actually a bit worrying as far as that goes. Mega-corporations is still interesting and relevant, and while it's not a new idea, it's at least possible to do something reasonably original with it that actually... you know, means something. Robots has been done to death and it's essentially a sci-fi trope from back when people still thought we'd have artificial intelligence any day now and that that somehow raised interesting ethical questions. Asimov and all that. And I don't see how they're doing anything else with it here, it's just really well done esthetically.
to be fair: the film this is prequelling pretty well set the bar for it, only upped by blade runner.
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

i wasn't exactly expecting this movie to break any new ground in regards to AI characters or writing. the series has obviously always had them in there and seeing as how this takes place before the first movie they can't exactly progress or anything. they're obviously just trying to play up the attractiveness and marketing of what it would be presented as in the future.

no?
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

yes

and tardfuck, Avatar's about Image, not :idea:
badgevvrecker

Post by badgevvrecker »

Necrometer wrote: and tardfuck, Avatar's about :mastoman: not :wank:
The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

glad we're all emphasizing the tardfuck part
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

fallbacktostone wrote:i wasn't exactly expecting this movie to break any new ground in regards to AI characters or writing. the series has obviously always had them in there and seeing as how this takes place before the first movie they can't exactly progress or anything. they're obviously just trying to play up the attractiveness and marketing of what it would be presented as in the future.

no?
Sure. It's a prequel, so part of what it has to do is explain how the world got to be the way it is in the first Alien movie, but on the other hand, I'd say they can pick and choose which elements of that world and which themes to focus on, and I don't think the robots are particularly interesting. We'll see how much room this takes up in the actual movie, I guess what I'm saying is I just hope it's not a major focus because it's just kind of a dated concept. The reason it works in Blade Runner is really because it's more about what makes us human than theorizing about what robots/replicants might be like if they existed.
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

but i'd also add that i think that some of the 'synthetic' scenes in the first 3 movies were proficient and interesting in different ways. even though they weren't bladerunner levels of mindblowing. like the scene with ripley and the re-plugged in bishop in 3. obviously the entire magazine to the mouth scene in the first film. certain things about bishop and the way lance henriksen played him. certain feelings from those different scenes always left an impression on me that their ai characters were different than others and they weren't robots or whatever but were actually a true synthesis of conflicting human and artificial elements. and that those characters were always just kinda sad and isolated beings. just not a total waste of time just because they didn't have troo literature rootz

:lj:
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Sure, there was some good stuff in there - Lance Henriksen's Bishop is a great character, and I always thought it made a lot of sense to have a robot "father" to the invisible AI "mother" in the first one. And there's definitely potential in the idea that these "robots" are actually alive and just sort of isolated and discriminated because they're not technically human. But I'm not really seeing any of that here, it's just another version of hey, look, we made a robot and he's kind of sad and creepy.

But I wouldn't at all say the BR replicants are somehow more legitimate because it's an adaptation of a novel, they really have next to nothing to do with Dick's androids. They're actually the exact opposite of them in many ways. The whole point of the androids in Dick's novel is that they're deplorable, horrible creatures with no capacity for empathy, and Roy Batty's behavior pretty much directly contradicts that idea.