Fallout 4

Music posts are a bannable offense.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Re: Fallout 4

Post by FVBTVS »

sometimes garret in the witcher would make faces channeling the player too like :| ive got to play hide and seek with these kids to progrress?
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

The sacrifice of story and balance against the gameplay elements in this discussion haven't called out the fact that the sacrifice of deeper story/dialogue stuff was the price to have this buggy yet stupidly addictive crafting system.

All of this junk means stuff and once you have the Wasteland wanderer perk and can store something somewhere and access it from anywhere - This is going to give the game some serious legs and its that element that makes it standout from 3 and New Vegas for me.

I've not quite gotten there yet, but I assume that after I build up Sanctuary - and any other area you can fortify - That is going to attract attacks from raiders or super mutants or whatever.

I wasn't instantly enamored with this game like I thought I was going to be - But as I've played more (I'm only level18 or so due to having to go away for shows) I'm thinking - Yep, this is even better than MGSV and I just didn't think that was going to be the case.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

doomeddisciple wrote:The sacrifice of story and balance against the gameplay elements in this discussion haven't called out the fact that the sacrifice of deeper story/dialogue stuff was the price to have this buggy yet stupidly addictive crafting system.

All of this junk means stuff and once you have the Wasteland wanderer perk and can store something somewhere and access it from anywhere - This is going to give the game some serious legs and its that element that makes it standout from 3 and New Vegas for me.

I've not quite gotten there yet, but I assume that after I build up Sanctuary - and any other area you can fortify - That is going to attract attacks from raiders or super mutants or whatever.

I wasn't instantly enamored with this game like I thought I was going to be - But as I've played more (I'm only level18 or so due to having to go away for shows) I'm thinking - Yep, this is even better than MGSV and I just didn't think that was going to be the case.
FVBTVS wrote:It's fine..

Make your own stories..

:lol:
:fonz:

I have 8 children.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

"The story in Ms. Pac-Man really takes away from the overall gaming experience, you know ? Pac-Woman meets Pac-Man, they fall in love, she has to eat pellets in a maze while alternately running from or also eating ghosts.. I just feel like I've heard it all before."
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

I miss crafting ammo, what the hell happened to that? That dude in Diamond City sells overpriced shit.
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

riley-o wrote:I realize I'm a less story-oriented gamer than most, but it kinda blows my mind how much you guys care about it. These games are all about discovering new areas and then killing the freaks inhabiting them, to me. I skip through the dialogue in games even when the story is good usually. I'm not trying to play a movie, I'm trying to play a game. That's what I wanted Fallout to do right and it definitely is. Oh conversations with NPCs are dumb ? Then go out with your friends and have stimulating conversation, then come home and shoot super mutants with a minigun, Kuhni Lemmel
Minigun has been a garbage weapon since fallout 3.

The reason everyone's complaining about the dialogue was because of how good it was in the last two games. It added a lot of charm to the game, so it's understandable that the dismal writing is a big let down for people that appreciated it so much.

That FUCKING freedom trail puzzle in the old north church :x
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

Ray wrote:I miss crafting ammo, what the hell happened to that? That dude in Diamond City sells overpriced shit.
I put one star into the Scrounger perk and I've had zero ammo problems. Of course I don't use automatic weapons and I one shot most things which helps, but I did not have this perk on my first character and now there is a notable difference.
Toilet Fleet wrote:dogs are shit tbqh
oh wow youre loyal, you know who else was loyal, fuckin goebbels
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

Ghost Dad wrote: The reason everyone's complaining about the dialogue was because of how good it was in the last two games.
It wasn't good in the last 2 games either. The vast majority of people who play this game don't care. If you want to listen to people talk, play Bioware games or one of those shitty QTE based story games everyone seems to love. I know Fallout is an RPG, but it's an afterthought. This game could be nothing but fetch quests and I would still be happy because it means I can explore shit. The only 'RPG' element I miss is the Karma system. I'm always destroyer of worlds in these games, but now it has little benefit.
Ghost Dad wrote: That FUCKING freedom trail puzzle in the old north church :x
I still have no idea what the FUCK I'm supposed to do on this quest.
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

One other PC mater race comment.....
I'm so glad I bought a new video card for this game. It looks really, really good on PC. Especially compared to consoles. I'm not trying to be a fucking asshole but seriously get a PC, or borrow someones PC and play this. You will not regret it. It really helps with the immersion into the environment. I'm playing on ultra with a 30 inch 4k monitor with no frame drops. The only thing that looks bad is the character models. Everything else looks awesome.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Like Skyrim, there will be a face improving mod, maybe soon. I already use one for better looking rain.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Cryptoplasty wrote:It wasn't good in the last 2 games either. The vast majority of people who play this game don't care. If you want to listen to people talk, play Bioware games or one of those shitty QTE based story games everyone seems to love. I know Fallout is an RPG, but it's an afterthought. This game could be nothing but fetch quests and I would still be happy because it means I can explore shit. The only 'RPG' element I miss is the Karma system. I'm always destroyer of worlds in these games, but now it has little benefit.
You couldn't be more wrong. People don't care because they already know it's going to be shit. That doesn't excuse Bethesda from being awful at crafting an engaging narrative and characters. Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and New Vegas had great writing and the choices in those make them much better games than FO3/4. It only became an afterthought in this series because Bethesda forgot how to write interesting quests and characters after Oblivion. Dialogue did matter in those games and if Bethesda thought everyone played it simply to explore, they would have forgone a voiced protagonist and a plot. They would have made it like Rust, Ark, Life is Feudal, and all the other open world exploration crafting games out nowadays. But that's what's great about all these old school Kickstarter rpgs and PC gaming thriving, we can have streamlined, mass appeal stuff like Fallout 4 and great late 90s/early 2000s inspired rpgs like Divinity: OS, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, etc.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Ray wrote:I miss crafting ammo, what the hell happened to that? That dude in Diamond City sells overpriced shit.
yeaaaaaah i'm only kinda disappointed that's not around mostly because i'm hurting for ammo (i'm going to probably take scrounger but im not happy about it.) but also, I didn't even bother crafting ammo in vegas because it made absolutely no sense to me from first, second and third glimpses and I was like "I'm not fucking looking that up.." :lol:

I have 8 children.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Wang Mandu wrote:
Cryptoplasty wrote:It wasn't good in the last 2 games either. The vast majority of people who play this game don't care. If you want to listen to people talk, play Bioware games or one of those shitty QTE based story games everyone seems to love. I know Fallout is an RPG, but it's an afterthought. This game could be nothing but fetch quests and I would still be happy because it means I can explore shit. The only 'RPG' element I miss is the Karma system. I'm always destroyer of worlds in these games, but now it has little benefit.
You couldn't be more wrong. People don't care because they already know it's going to be shit. That doesn't excuse Bethesda from being awful at crafting an engaging narrative and characters. Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and New Vegas had great writing and the choices in those make them much better games than FO3/4. It only became an afterthought in this series because Bethesda forgot how to write interesting quests and characters after Oblivion. Dialogue did matter in those games and if Bethesda thought everyone played it simply to explore, they would have forgone a voiced protagonist and a plot. They would have made it like Rust, Ark, Life is Feudal, and all the other open world exploration crafting games out nowadays. But that's what's great about all these old school Kickstarter rpgs and PC gaming thriving, we can have streamlined, mass appeal stuff like Fallout 4 and great late 90s/early 2000s inspired rpgs like Divinity: OS, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, etc.
there's something to that I guess. I was just thinking about my experiences with the Witcher and how well rendered every random NPC was in terms of their voice acting and the interactions. The hooks of the various quests and side quests were way way better than they are in Fallout. But on balance too I think there's greater continuity between the various paths and locations and implicit stories of random locations when you observe them in this game than in Witcher, by a lot. Simple wandering is so much more interesting and the first person/ third person switching is key to that as well. And the overall effect for me in traversing this games landscape is just an amazing trick of atmosphere that Bethesda understands better than other developers and they play to those strengths as much as they can. It would be nice to have the best of all these worlds though.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
it would be amazing to see a fully voiced and fully remade next gen version of morrowind though, just throwing that out there

I have 8 children.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

tldr
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
also want to point out that I think its important to play these Bethesda games on their harder difficulty settings if you can manage it. they do kinda get stupid due to the defensive and offensive stats of everything just getting turned up to 11 but the level of fear it puts you into makes you play the game in a completely different way. i started on survival and I even turned off all the autosaving bs. you don't get to just go ANYWHERE and steamroll absolutely everything. some shit you just have to run away from. when everything can kill you it makes your decisions matter a lot more. you also have to use absolutely everything at your disposal once in a while especially if you're doing very little fast travel as well.. once your guy gets more and more specialized in a particular area the combat engagements tend to get more manageable as you go. some of the new enemies and even the raiders seem to have way beefed up AI as well and they pull some really admirable tactical stunts when you give them openings.

i'm really not trying to brag but i am suggesting if you aren't enjoying it you should try it because that contributed greatly to my personal enjoyment of fo3, new vegas and skyrim (especially skyrim). when i was just able to lay waste to everything in skyrim no matter what it made the tactile enjoyment of the environment feel like i was just floating the entire time and me not play it for at least a year because it left such a weird taste in my mouth

I have 8 children.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Raiders sure do like their Molotov cocktails. Unlike 3/NV they usually pin me down behind cover a lot.

Blood bugs freak me the hell out.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

FVBTVS wrote:there's something to that I guess. I was just thinking about my experiences with the Witcher and how well rendered every random NPC was in terms of their voice acting and the interactions. The hooks of the various quests and side quests were way way better than they are in Fallout. But on balance too I think there's greater continuity between the various paths and locations and implicit stories of random locations when you observe them in this game than in Witcher, by a lot. Simple wandering is so much more interesting and the first person/ third person switching is key to that as well. And the overall effect for me in traversing this games landscape is just an amazing trick of atmosphere that Bethesda understands better than other developers and they play to those strengths as much as they can. It would be nice to have the best of all these worlds though.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
it would be amazing to see a fully voiced and fully remade next gen version of morrowind though, just throwing that out there
:fonz: Agreed. Besides S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (which I rank #1 for best post apocalyptic atmosphere because of the pure savagery of that world) and TW3, Bethesda does open world atmosphere like no other. I've spent over a 100+ hours a piece in Oblivion, Skyrim, and FO3 yet I never finished the main quest. If they could get the story beats right and give me meaningful dialogue and consequences from my choices, I'd pre-order the game and the season pass. I also wish they'd stop with the chosen one savior trope but people love that.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Toxicarius
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by Toxicarius »

FVBTVS wrote:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Skywind, a mod for Skyrim that promises to recreate Morrowind while keeping intact as much of the latter's content as possible, is in the works. Whether a finished product actually sees the light of day is anybody's guess.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Finally found the dog over a week later. He was in a dog house, wouldn't cha know.
BigBrother
Khaooos and Kon-fus-ion

Post by BigBrother »

The Bill wrote:Finally found the dog over a week later. He was in a dog house, wouldn't cha know.
Yeah I had to google that one. Also my power armor just vanished from the armor rack in Sanctuary.

Codsworth as a companion is about as useless as tits on a boar. Half the time he gets stuck somewhere and when I need him to kill shit he's nowhere to be found. I miss Boone taking out enemies before I'd even see them.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I've read that if you keep the power core in the armor people might steal it. Always take the core out while not in use.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Wife came down stairs while I was playing. She almost never looks and pays any mind to my games. I had just killed a bunch of thugs planning on killing me. One was some woman that I killed in such a way that her death pose was pretty much her sticking her ass out in an attempt to achieve necrophiliac doggie or anal. Wife sees her.

"Shoot her in the butt."

"okay" *Boom*

I shoot her around the ass cheek, thigh region. Wife sees the bloody gun wound.

"Eww, what's wrong with you? You let Dean watch this game... you aimed too low. Shoot her in the middle of the butt."

*Boom* Second nice gaping bloody entrance way, just how Pisscubes likes it.

"Eww, what's wrong with you?"

Fallout 4 GOTY
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

It's 5:30 am here after 'one more look over this hill' hmerghhhhh
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

It's something else when I'm about to fight one faction (Raiders for example) and then suddenly another force joins the fray (Super Mutants as another), then a third party, usually animal comes running into the shit. Everyone is shooting at each other, yet they always have time to get together and take a shot at me.

One time I was on my way when a super Terminator attacked me. Walking backwards away from it, firing, I walked right into a Bloatfly, Stinger Dragon fly, and Blood Bug. I was scampering around trying to heal and reload, (I think Piper got TKO'ed) when a Mr. Handy came darting at me. What a mess. I went to lock on my VATS at one of them, and VATS picked up an enraged two headed cow thing charging at me from the bushes. I survived that, but used all my ammo and stimpacks.
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

The Bill wrote:Wife came down stairs while I was playing. She almost never looks and pays any mind to my games. I had just killed a bunch of thugs planning on killing me. One was some woman that I killed in such a way that her death pose was pretty much her sticking her ass out in an attempt to achieve necrophiliac doggie or anal. Wife sees her.

"Shoot her in the butt."

"okay" *Boom*

I shoot her around the ass cheek, thigh region. Wife sees the bloody gun wound.

"Eww, what's wrong with you? You let Dean watch this game... you aimed too low. Shoot her in the middle of the butt."

*Boom* Second nice gaping bloody entrance way, just how Pisscubes likes it.

"Eww, what's wrong with you?"

Fallout 4 GOTY
My wife came down to the basement creep station last night.
I told her to come over and watch something (she has no idea what Fallout is, or anything about video games in general)
I throw on VATS and aim at a raiders head with a 95% hit chance.
I slowly turn my head toward my wife and say softly "watch this"
I pull the trigger.
The bullet exists the gun and flies slowly towards the raider. Wife says "Wow, that's kind of cool."
Bullet hits raiders head, head explodes with brains and eye balls visible. Wife says "Our childrens future is bleak" and walks back upstairs.