hacksaw ridge was mel gibson apologizing

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Brutus Frank
[citation needed]

Re: hacksaw ridge was mel gibson apologizing

Post by Brutus Frank »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:52 pm
cxwx wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:48 pm Also Sheri O Terrie's dancing native girl in SNL's "real lesbians" skit is racist
i feel like the amebix thing was worse
in a certain way
H A R D
S A M E

Jesus Tittyfucking Christ that shit is miserable.
Brutus Frank
[citation needed]

Post by Brutus Frank »

spacehamster wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:36 am
Eight Bit Alien wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:50 am Fuck off! Its an absolute masterpiece.
I was particularly impressed with the muppet panther, yeah.

In all seriousness, though, of course it's a well made movie - it's Mel Gibson. The fucker's insanely talented, no matter what you think of his smooth-brained conspiracy nut idiocy otherwise. But saying that is basically the same thing as saying you can appreciate Leni Riefenstahl for her technical proficiency.

The message of Apocalypto is that the Mayans were brainless, decadent, despicable savages who deserved to be wiped out by the Christian invaders, and it delivers this message with the same attention to period detail and interest in the actual culture that's being portrayed as, uh, well, Braveheart, come to think of it. This is 100% clear and intentional and they even made sure to include an opening quote that explains this in case you have an overactive apologist reflex from listening to too much Black Metal. He's telling you what he wants to say. It's right there. Take him at his word.
P O L I T I C AL
F A G G O T

(lyrics taken from AxCx unreleased masterpiece "UBB Gas Chamber Greatest Hits")

"the Mayans were brainless, decadent, despicable savages"

A C C U R A T E

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_s ... ya_culture

"who deserved to be wiped out by the Christian invaders"

Nah, the Christians were hypocrites for not forgiving them.
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

Boomer 2k: r/GrindMind
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Hunter wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:41 pm
FVBTVS wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:37 pm maybe he's not dreyer but no ones doing what he's doing with the amount of money he's doing it with
Panos Cosmatos?
Julia Ducournau?
Brandon Cronenberg?
Gaspar Noe?

There's quite a few directors who haven't gotten a Hollywood blank check and are making high quality flicks, IMO. I'd hardly consider Zahler alone in what he can do with a smaller budget.

I mean, c'mon - Hereditary had a smaller budget than Dragged Across Concrete.
a: gaspar noe sucks cocks
b: name one movie from any of those other than panos (i'll give you that) that has made a movie in the same silo as what zahler is doing/interested in doing. they're not interested in what he's interested in..
c: i meant something more specifc than 'other cool independent directors'
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

There's a non-zero chance SCZ went to the Relapse board back in the day.
He probably knows who I am and thinks I made funny posts.

He probably sends jofa quotes to his wife or something
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

Brutus Frank wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:03 pm
spacehamster wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:36 am
Eight Bit Alien wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:50 am Fuck off! Its an absolute masterpiece.
I was particularly impressed with the muppet panther, yeah.

In all seriousness, though, of course it's a well made movie - it's Mel Gibson. The fucker's insanely talented, no matter what you think of his smooth-brained conspiracy nut idiocy otherwise. But saying that is basically the same thing as saying you can appreciate Leni Riefenstahl for her technical proficiency.

The message of Apocalypto is that the Mayans were brainless, decadent, despicable savages who deserved to be wiped out by the Christian invaders, and it delivers this message with the same attention to period detail and interest in the actual culture that's being portrayed as, uh, well, Braveheart, come to think of it. This is 100% clear and intentional and they even made sure to include an opening quote that explains this in case you have an overactive apologist reflex from listening to too much Black Metal. He's telling you what he wants to say. It's right there. Take him at his word.
P O L I T I C AL
F A G G O T

(lyrics taken from AxCx unreleased masterpiece "UBB Gas Chamber Greatest Hits")

"the Mayans were brainless, decadent, despicable savages"

A C C U R A T E

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_s ... ya_culture

"who deserved to be wiped out by the Christian invaders"

Nah, the Christians were hypocrites for not forgiving them.
Christian's were still burning witches in the 1600's and before that there were the crusades and after that the ku klux Klan and after that the IRA. I don't think anymore would exclusively try to categorize it as a side effect of "white cultural" which tends to happen with any other ethnic group when something horrible in its past is brought up, which I believe the original point Spacehamster was trying to make.
samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Obviously :lol:
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

FVBTVS wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:30 pm
Hunter wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:41 pm
FVBTVS wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:37 pm maybe he's not dreyer but no ones doing what he's doing with the amount of money he's doing it with
Panos Cosmatos?
Julia Ducournau?
Brandon Cronenberg?
Gaspar Noe?

There's quite a few directors who haven't gotten a Hollywood blank check and are making high quality flicks, IMO. I'd hardly consider Zahler alone in what he can do with a smaller budget.

I mean, c'mon - Hereditary had a smaller budget than Dragged Across Concrete.
a: gaspar noe sucks cocks
b: name one movie from any of those other than panos (i'll give you that) that has made a movie in the same silo as what zahler is doing/interested in doing. they're not interested in what he's interested in..
c: i meant something more specifc than 'other cool independent directors'
I'm looping Zahler in with other modern low-budget subversive/divisive directors, so maybe you're being more specific than that? I'm not exactly a Noe fan either, but that doesn't exclude him from the conversation. How specific are you thinking?
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

PS Gasper Noe rulez. Don't show your face in Winnipeg.
samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
Eight Bit Alien

THE POINT IS that Zahler makes stuff for alpha males (like me) and that I uniquely understand what it's like to be a lion, like Mel and the gangster guy from Dragged Across Concrete.
Lions don't like pussy movies. We watch awesome movies from the 70s about old men who are violent and tired. It's hard.

It's not easy to rise above the herd. Everyone wants to watch baby movies. Meanwhile at any time I could rip my wife's car in half.
Eight Bit Alien

Do you listen to Hammerfall? Do you watch Disney Plus? I'll step on your head in jail.
Eight Bit Alien

Are you trying to do abortion to my wife? Think again.

See this tattoo on my head? That means not welcome (to do the abortion)
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

cxwx wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:01 pm PS Gasper Noe rulez. Don't show your face in Winnipeg.
There's a lot of your type out there, and I will DIE for your right to be complete sickos.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

hard times create good film, strong men create good film, good film create movie nerd, movie nerd create weak film, weak film make hard time
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
Eight Bit Alien

That's literally true
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

FVBTVS wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:12 pm hard times create good film, strong men create good film, good film create movie nerd, movie nerd create weak film, weak film make hard time
Alright, yeah... that's a pretty specific lane :lol: I concede that point, but I can't imagine too many creators making the leap from youtube.
Eight Bit Alien

Do you make YouTube videos? What the fuck?! I'll blow up your wife's fingers in the bank with my gun. Sorry for being BASED.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

cxwx wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:41 pm Christian's were still burning witches in the 1600's and before that there were the crusades and after that the ku klux Klan and after that the IRA. I don't think anymore would exclusively try to categorize it as a side effect of "white cultural" which tends to happen with any other ethnic group when something horrible in its past is brought up, which I believe the original point Spacehamster was trying to make.
The incredibly far-fetched Twitter woke commie point I'm making is that the movie starts with the quote "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." This is its point. Mayan civilization was fucked, and so it's fine that they were conquered. If Thor agrees with that, fine, at least he's being honest. But that's what the movie is saying. Fuck these savages, they needed to be tamed. It really leaves no doubt whatsoever that that's its message, even if you have no idea who Mel Gibson is. The guy's telling you his intent right there. Take him at his word.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Eight Bit Alien

You are reading it wrong :lol:
Brutus Frank
[citation needed]

Post by Brutus Frank »

"Mayan civilization was fucked, so it's no surprise they were conquered. Considering their actions, at the time, it seems that in hindsight it was as much an act of cultural mercy as it was one of conquest" is a lot closer to the point

I'd have a lot more sympathy if Mayan civilization of the day wasn't a religious, murderous nightmare that made Rome at the height of crucifictions and slave gladiators seem gentle and rational by comparison.
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

spacehamster wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:18 am
cxwx wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:41 pm Christian's were still burning witches in the 1600's and before that there were the crusades and after that the ku klux Klan and after that the IRA. I don't think anymore would exclusively try to categorize it as a side effect of "white cultural" which tends to happen with any other ethnic group when something horrible in its past is brought up, which I believe the original point Spacehamster was trying to make.
The incredibly far-fetched Twitter woke commie point I'm making is that the movie starts with the quote "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." This is its point. Mayan civilization was fucked, and so it's fine that they were conquered. If Thor agrees with that, fine, at least he's being honest. But that's what the movie is saying. Fuck these savages, they needed to be tamed. It really leaves no doubt whatsoever that that's its message, even if you have no idea who Mel Gibson is. The guy's telling you his intent right there. Take him at his word.
If I was to play devils advocate I'd say that same
quote is commonly used to describe the fall of
Rome.
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

Brutus Frank wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:02 am "Mayan civilization was fucked, so it's no surprise they were conquered. Considering their actions, at the time, it seems that in hindsight it was as much an act of cultural mercy as it was one of conquest" is a lot closer to the point

I'd have a lot more sympathy if Mayan civilization of the day wasn't a religious, murderous nightmare that made Rome at the height of crucifictions and slave gladiators seem gentle and rational by comparison.
I don't think these things are exactly quantifiable at some one to one ratio. Stuff like that sounds too much like when Jesse Watters says "we didn't steal the native Americans land, we won it on the battlefield" it's too early for this shit though. Wake me up if The Maccabees ever gets made.
Brutus Frank
[citation needed]

Post by Brutus Frank »

I just looked up Jesse Waters

Are we sure he's not a deepfake made by crossing Robert Downey Jr's voice and skull with David Schwimmers face?
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Brutus Frank wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:02 am "Mayan civilization was fucked, so it's no surprise they were conquered. Considering their actions, at the time, it seems that in hindsight it was as much an act of cultural mercy as it was one of conquest" is a lot closer to the point

So, yeah, racism. What's funny is that you don't seem to realize that you're agreeing with me. All I'm saying is that's the message of the movie and it's really silly to pretend otherwise and act like anyone who thinks the movie is probably about what it explicitly says it's about is a crazy smooth-brained Twitter screech bot. Whether or not we agree with that message is a different question, and I'm certainly not going to debate the ethical merits of colonialism with someone who's just going to turn around in half an hour and say he was joking.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Eight Bit Alien

No