Why do you think many directors seem to lose their special knack when they get older?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
MPD
I hate your life.

Re: Why do you think many directors seem to lose their special knack when they get older?

Post by MPD »

PAGE TWO
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Re: Why do you think many directors seem to lose their special knack when they get older?

Post by cxwx »

MPD wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:09 amPAGE TWO
samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

I think proficiency kills creativity. I prefer much more the stuff I used to write when I was a beginner at the guitar, when I tried to copy stuff there was always a wall, there was something that I couldn't play because I was bad and my skills were very limited. So I concentrated in writing stuff that sounds good with the limited skills I had. With the time I got much more proficient and then I could shred, but I think everything I write sucks, there is no soul there, a gazillion of notes, everything properly written with the music theory I now know, but it sucks, like really sucks. I wish I could unlearn a lot of stuff, that would force me again to think out of the box.

Probably the same happens in many types of art. Making things technically correct (and maybe pleasing others) takes more priority and the magic is gone.
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

Krieg wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:38 am I think proficiency kills creativity. I prefer much more the stuff I used to write when I was a beginner at the guitar, when I tried to copy stuff there was always a wall, there was something that I couldn't play because I was bad and my skills were very limited. So I concentrated in writing stuff that sounds good with the limited skills I had. With the time I got much more proficient and then I could shred, but I think everything I write sucks, there is no soul there, a gazillion of notes, everything properly written with the music theory I now know, but it sucks, like really sucks. I wish I could unlearn a lot of stuff, that would force me again to think out of the box.

Probably the same happens in many types of art. Making things technically correct (and maybe pleasing others) takes more priority and the magic is gone.
I agree with this for certain types of music it absolutely does not apply across the board. Would you enjoy King Crimson records if they were played with the same technical skill as Deche-Charge? I would say it’s far less about bands becoming better players than it is about using up their best ideas early on. Especially in any kind of rock genre of music. There’s only so many compelling riffs and ideas one person can write on guitar over 20-30 years.
samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

Krieg wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:38 am I think proficiency kills creativity. I prefer much more the stuff I used to write when I was a beginner at the guitar, when I tried to copy stuff there was always a wall, there was something that I couldn't play because I was bad and my skills were very limited. So I concentrated in writing stuff that sounds good with the limited skills I had. With the time I got much more proficient and then I could shred, but I think everything I write sucks, there is no soul there, a gazillion of notes, everything properly written with the music theory I now know, but it sucks, like really sucks. I wish I could unlearn a lot of stuff, that would force me again to think out of the box.

I agree with this. I came across this article yesterday about this subject (a John Foxx interview). "Very good musicians, like very good singers, don’t interest me. There’s a point where proficiency blocks musicians off from real adventure because they become so refined they can’t see the value of crudity... You need expertise, but you need to know when to abandon it."

For years, I've always thought of those hyper technical musicians as "guitar magazine guys" because they could play really impressive stuff, but it wasn't anything that ever spoke to me. I enjoy seeing people play the fuck out of their instruments... but it's rare that it also feels powerful. It's like the emotional expression is lost and replaced with a math equation.
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

Sometimes I want to hear math equations. Sometimes I just want to hear a racket.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

Hunter wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:02 amFor years, I've always thought of those hyper technical musicians as "guitar magazine guys" because they could play really impressive stuff, but it wasn't anything that ever spoke to me. I enjoy seeing people play the fuck out of their instruments... but it's rare that it also feels powerful. It's like the emotional expression is lost and replaced with a math equation.
I'm easily entertained by the technical bullshit, but what you're saying is mostly true - trying to think of exceptions

what about this

try not to look at the logo
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

MPD wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:09 amPAGE TWO
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
kevin hash
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by kevin hash »

Less cum in the balls.
TROLL WORLD ORDER 4 LIFE

:invcross: BUNGVOX got powerbombed off the stage because he wasn't T.W.O 4 LIFE brother. :invcross:

my hound dog's dump still hot - zerohero
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

Necrometer wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:17 pm
Hunter wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:02 amFor years, I've always thought of those hyper technical musicians as "guitar magazine guys" because they could play really impressive stuff, but it wasn't anything that ever spoke to me. I enjoy seeing people play the fuck out of their instruments... but it's rare that it also feels powerful. It's like the emotional expression is lost and replaced with a math equation.
I'm easily entertained by the technical bullshit, but what you're saying is mostly true - trying to think of exceptions

what about this

[-video-]

try not to look at the logo
I think there's lots of exceptions, and for the most part I'm sure it's subjective. I find Blotted Science to be awesome, and also kinda typical "guitar magazine" type surfing-with-the-alien-ish tech wizardry. But if someone told me they found it soulless, I'd understand the perspective.

Back to directors though, here's an account from Guillermo Del Toro about how the last 5 ideas he's pitched were all turned down. If you were to ask me, he's one of the directors that's fallen off pretty dramatically from his earlier work, but it's not like he's had a blank check to do whatever he wanted, otherwise "In the Mountains of Madness" would have been made years ago. He has to pitch ideas that people think will make money (or be nominated for an oscar), otherwise the budget won't materialize.