EBA's DOOM megathread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Re: EBA's DOOM megathread

Post by The Bill »

I actually tried this a few weeks ago. Funny that suddenly all these YouTubers are getting to it now.

I actually got wrecked by this. I’ve actually been having a hard time with a lot of games. Did I just lose “it” suddenly?
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

Hahahha that just popped onto my feed this morning. The algorithm reigns supreme.

And I definitely lose "it" fairly regularly. Most games ive ever played, I only get to the 80% point... two days spent trying the same level/boss over and over, I get fussy and go home. "It" is like a fickle muse.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I tried that Dragon’s Sector and…

A) It’s killing my PC and dropping the resolution doesn’t help.

B) It’s kind of too hard for the little bit of ammo they’re giving me.

I started replaying that Going Down level pack, but with Brutal Doom instead of Project Brutality. BD is just as bat shit crazy, and might be better suited for this particular Mega Wad.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Going Down seems to be a bit of a slaughter map pack. I’m pondering now if I should use the modified… mod of Brutal Doom 21.something.something or Meat Grinder (which is also made by the Brutal Doom guy). Meat Grinder pretty much reverts the bad guy back to vanilla DOOM, but I think triples the amount. The blood… the blood is everywhere, and weapons cut through them so gloriously. Maybe what broke Going Down with Project Brutality will also break with Brutal Doom, so I should use Meat Grinder. Yet, the “downgrade” leaves me wanting. Zero world problems!
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

The Bill wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:37 am I tried that Dragon’s Sector and…

A) It’s killing my PC and dropping the resolution doesn’t help.

B) It’s kind of too hard for the little bit of ammo they’re giving me.
yo check this out!!!
Very Important:
It is highly recommended that you turn on the setting for precaching textures. We've used some very large textures where they mattered, and this can cause lag, as GZDoom, by default, loads them into memory during actual play. Precaching preloads all of the textures before play of a level begins, preventing this lag from happening. It makes for a slightly longer loading time before each map, but trust us, it will be well worth it.

In game, open the console and enter gl_precache 1. (This is already done for you in the full version download, if you use the CMD file for launching it.)

Also, it is highly recommended that you use the Vulkan renderer. It provides for a much smoother and better high fidelity experience.
Eight Bit Alien

And damn you're right - i just tried the latest update and they really fucked up the ammo bad. That's really odd. I think the older version should still be linked in the first page here?? I will check in a few
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:23 pm And damn you're right - i just tried the latest update and they really fucked up the ammo bad. That's really odd. I think the older version should still be linked in the first page here?? I will check in a few
Your link takes me to version .61. That the one you remember?
Eight Bit Alien

Man that is fucked, they took .60 off moddb and I can't find it elsewhere.
I will upload the thing and link it here, for my own purposes, because the ammo shit sucks!!!
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:37 am Man that is fucked, they took .60 off moddb and I can't find it elsewhere.
I will upload the thing and link it here, for my own purposes, because the ammo shit sucks!!!
Thanks. Maybe that version ran better as well. I didn’t recall such bad performance the first time I messed with it. Don’t know why I deleted it.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I’ve been on and off following this dude’s YouTube channel for a long while now. Way before this thread. I’ve always seen random level packs I want to try but never did. I guess this is the most recent, Flesharmonic looks cool:

I should pick one pack from each video, lord know when I’d get around to it, but it could be a thing to do.
Eight Bit Alien

Thanks for that! It's kind've amazing just how much classic DOOM youtube shit exists. Like there's so many channels making regular videos about new WADs that it's easy to miss the (even more) obscure ones.

Anyway here's a google drive link, I figure I'll leave it up instead of PMing it in case anyone else wants to check it out. Please nobody hack my gibson. BAIDU-SPIDER I will fucking kill you

The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I’m torn between PB & BD, dudes. I feel PB’s got all the guns and monsters and insanely, but BD is goddamn polished and more violent.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I have been a false prophet. I've never played Heretic, which is pretty much a DOOM mod, really. It plays on GZDoom with DOOM gore mods.

I dig the music:

Eight Bit Alien

I think now that I've put so much time into both, Brutal Doom is twice the game PD is, in terms of how it feels to play. It's really fucking intense, and all those odd little details like how it feels to shoot the gun, how long it takes to reload, etc are so fucking satisfying.

PB is obviously the winner in terms of variety, but if you spend months with it like I have the novelty kinda wears off a tiny tiny bit. I think the guy who made BD is an actual artistic genius, brilliant fucker, and it's just impossible to xerox his signature no matter how many different color blorks you add in.
Eight Bit Alien

PB is also a lot easier, unless you actively decide to ignore the melee health mechanic. I guess they wanted to be more in line with modern stuff like Doom 2016, which is less interesting over time imho.
Eight Bit Alien

I never liked Heretic as much as I wish I did. The music and art are awesome but it never felt as fun to play... the emphasis on melee stuff gets pretty boring to me.
The brutal version looked really cool but i haven't played it yet.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:58 pm I never liked Heretic as much as I wish I did. The music and art are awesome but it never felt as fun to play... the emphasis on melee stuff gets pretty boring to me.
The brutal version looked really cool but i haven't played it yet.
Isn’t it Hexen that has all the melee stuff not Heretic?
Eight Bit Alien

It's possible. The world may never know........
Eight Bit Alien

this guy is hilarious :lol:

he makes a video like this almost every day and gets 3 views. Love of the game.
Champion.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

One dude I follow was salivating over the No Rest for the Living wad. It’s the level pack that came with the 360 arcade version of DOOM & DOOM 3. I tried it once for the 360 a hundred years ago. I wasn’t feeling it, then, but that was then and that was vanilla DOOM.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

It just never ends. I got decently into the Sigil levels using Brutal Doom. Fucking a door script or something went hey wire and now I’m stuck and can’t continue. I checked YouTube, I’m screwed. This shit seems to keep happening to me.
Eight Bit Alien

Noclip2!!!!!
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:48 am Noclip2!!!!!
Yeah, I did that after all. Beat the level, but now I’m completely stuck in some room in the next level. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice…

If things don’t go well I might just replay DOOM II with Brutal Doom instead. I picked BD over Project Brutality because I believe BD changes up the Icon of Sin.
Eight Bit Alien

It surely fuckin does in Sgt. MkIV's Extermination Day campaign, not sure about the core level. I know BD makes odd little changes to a bunch of stuff in D1&2 - Sarge claimed that he spent three fucking years combing through those levels and making all these changes to graphics and lighting, and that it absolutely crushed him and considers it to have been a complete waste of time. He's a really interesting guy.
Eight Bit Alien

I checked out those xbox levels based on your description, using PB with a level-spawn setting of 12. It's a cool little pack, the first two levels are very simple but it gets more interesting after that. Haven't finished it yet.

Played through all of The Plutonia Experiment (again with PB) and it was a TOTAL fucking blast. The pack doesnt have a great reputation these days but it was perfect for me and worked well with the mod. A few times i had to cheat by necessity or frustration, but only 2 or 3 times in about 30 levels. Would recommend!