EBA's DOOM megathread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

EBA's DOOM megathread

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

DANGER WARNING: EXTREME THREAD.
ADULT THEMES AND LANGUAGE. GRAPHIC VIOLENCE
DEATHmetal.COM

HOW TO PLAY DOOM AND USE MODS:

1. Download GZDoom and extract into a folder
2. Download DOOM.wad and DOOM2.wad, and put them into the GZDoom folder
3. Download mods and put them wherever you want. To play a mod, drag and drop the pk3 or wad file onto the GZDoom executable.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Re: EBA's DOOM megathread

IF ANY OF THESE LINKS DONT WORK PLEASE SAY SO
Eight Bit Alien

The most crucial mods by far are Brutal Doom and Project Brutality.
Both of these are life-changing, although I prefer Project Brutality altogether.

Brutal Doom: https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/ ... l-doom-v21
Project Brutality: https://www.moddb.com/mods/project-brut ... rutality-3

TO PLAY THESE WITH A LEVEL PACK (wad), HOLD CTRL AND DRAG BOTH FILES ONTO THE GZDOOM EXECUTABLE.
Eight Bit Alien

DRAGON SECTOR

https://www.moddb.com/mods/dragon-secto ... ke-pb-full

This levelpack (designed 100% to be used with Project Brutality) is the best gaming experience I've had in the past 5 years. I'm absolutely blown away by how much passion and work went into creating this, and it was thoroughly engaging throughout. I can't recommend this enough.

This link contains EVERYTHING you need, including GZDoom and Project Brutality, in one download.
You will need the above-linked DOOM2.wad though.

to play this just click dragon-sector-remake.cmd

Eight Bit Alien

EXTERMINATION DAY

https://www.mediafire.com/file/0xh1nsvw ... 6.zip/file

This is a full, 3-act campaign designed by the guy who made Brutal Doom. It has voice acting and fucking crazy shit!
It's got some of the craziest, most surprising fucking set-pieces imaginable; every little fucking detail and feature bleeds pure evil joy.
It's described as a remake of Doom 1 and 2, meaning that if you took the plot to both games and re-imagined how the levels would look given the modifications of Brutal Doom, you'd wind up with this.

The second chapter where you fight on Earth, with an army of Marines, against Hell... absolutely should not be missed.
I'm still working my way through Chapter 3, and although it's unbelievably hard I'm determined to complete the experience.

FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

:warrior:
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
Eight Bit Alien

This is, easily, the dark side of the 90s.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Ashes 2033 & Ashes Afterglow are supposedly must play mods/total conversions:

The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Also, Castlevania Doom is great, and definitely not easy:

Eight Bit Alien

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 i got about 30 minutes into the first ASHES 20382, really solid, but I'd already started 3 other huge WADs so I'll have to circle back to it.
It's a little difficult to go back to the vanilla style gameplay when Im super wired into the BRUTALITY flow, but the time will come.
Eight Bit Alien

FINAL CARNAGE

https://www.moddb.com/mods/project-brut ... arnage-v01

This is another popular WAD for Project Brutality. It has really cool inital area which does an amazing job setting a tone. I'm really a huge sucker for squeezing VIBE and light story out of an engine as old and clunky as DOOM. I'd say that this is about 50% as cool as Extermination Day, but still really impressive in its own right and very fun. Maybe the best "ventilation shaft moments" of any WADs I've tried.

This video isn't a great representation of the WAD since the guy who recorded it has goofy textures loaded and plays slow. The experience I had was much cooler and I'm cooler, and I'm good.

Eight Bit Alien

MYHOUSE.WAD

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... yhousewad/

This thing is REALLY impressive and cool. Explaining it too much ruins the fun, it's presented as a creepypasta type thing and needs to be understood firsthand. It's a pretty solid example of "video game as art*", and I'm always very excited when people do expressive things with deprecated technology. It really did creep me out, probably a "use headphones with the lights off" type thing. You should definitely poke around in the ZIP file to see the notes and pics it comes bundled with.

All that said, I gave this about an hour and a half before I decided to just watch the rest on youtube. While it is shockingly well-crafted, there's a lot of trial/error clunking and I wanted to get back to demonic excitement in Dragon Sector.
There is also homosexuality, which is against Islam and haram

* - which is still not real Art
Eight Bit Alien

This is a large jpg (with tiny difficult to read text) which someone created as an infographic for DOOM mod stuff

Eight Bit Alien

GREZZO 2

https://www.moddb.com/mods/grezzo-2-dlc ... al-version

This is difficult to actually play, but it's also fucking insane, and at least worth watching on Youtube.
I haven't gotten too far into it, but I'm very glad that it exists. There's a bittersweet quality to it for me, because I remember when this type of humor and creativity was much more common in the world and more difficult to extinguish. I hope whoever made this didn't get into any legal trouble.

It has its own Wikipedia entry! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grezzo_2
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I actually watched a whole play through of My House some weeks back. No way I’d ever have the patience to do and find all the hidden shit to finish it.

I see they put Pirate Doom in as a level pack. Eh, I think it’s more than just that.
MPD
I hate your life.

Post by MPD »

Quake II CTF fucking lag kills...FUCK...

and then what? Counterstrike?
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Oh shit! How did I forget BlooM. It’s DOOM merged with Blood, and it’s nuts:

Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Toilet Fleet wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:09 am
Welcome to the revolution, pretty boy. We will enjoy life, while you mire in the pits. Enjoy cleaning your fleet o' toilets. While James commands God level truth.
Eight Bit Alien

:ax: :ax: :ax: this art
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Interesting:

Eight Bit Alien

The Bill wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:16 am Oh shit! How did I forget BlooM. It’s DOOM merged with Blood, and it’s nuts:

Im running out of adjectives here in this thread, but Bloom is fucking fascinating. Smashing the two games together is wonderful, and they did it thoughtfully and creatively. The part of it that blows my mind though, is how they committed to the "world smashing together" part... as in, the levels are fucking falling apart and structured in a surreal way.

Who the fuck are these guys who do so much work for free??? The love counts so much more to me than in some AAA game
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I’m not into these kinds of DOOM maps. Gives me all kinds of anxiety like those crazy ass Mario Maker levels:

FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

lets sticky this bitch for a while

arch viles still freak me out to this day. even if they're placed somewhat advantageously to the player the way they transform what youre doing and prioritizing on a dime is so genius
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Arch Viles are amongst the worst of the worst enemies in video game history. Not worst, like they’re poorly implemented, but worst in I don’t want to deal with them again, way. I’d like to add Pain Elementals to the list as well. Thanks, DOOM II.

This mod is a dream come true on paper, but unless you’re really familiar with the source material it’s confusing as hell. I got so lost I never went back after 2 tries: