EBA's DOOM megathread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Re: EBA's DOOM megathread

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

Should've used general MIDI for the music!!
And yeah beyond novelty i dont see myself playing that for too long

Archviles are still terrifying. Skeleton rocket men win for the scariest jump spooks, and lost souls for the most 20000999% annoying fuckers.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:23 pm

and lost souls for the most 20000999% annoying fuckers.
I don’t want to bring other games into this DOOM thread, but after dealing with Dailatana’s robot frogs and mosquitoes, the Lost Souls aren’t that bad.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i reinstalled doom 64 on my xbox to see where i left off and it was a section of too many lost souls and the way they tweaked them for 64 to be more aggravating, sneaky and hostile was really cracking me up
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Hahah yeah! I was playing D64 on my switch recently, whenever my fucking dumb life keeps me away from the computer. Its a pretty solid game!

I remember in the 90s seeing it at a sleepover, and the intro cinematic really got me. Seeing the monsters fighting the marines in an actual war left a big impression on me for some reason. The recontextualization of familiar sprite-blobs into something grander and more expressive was very compelling.

Wow hey, i realize that that moment is probably what brought me to obsess over doom mods
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

You dudes know there’s a Brutal DOOM 64, made by the Brutal DOOM dude, yes?

Eight Bit Alien

The Bill wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:28 pm

I don’t want to bring other games into this DOOM thread, but after dealing with Dailatana’s robot frogs and mosquitoes, the Lost Souls aren’t that bad.
Is daikatana playable on modern systems? I never even gave it a taste. Watching that whole shitshow was hilarious at the time - the advertising was so aggressive and arrogant, and the crash/burn... reminds me of the Cyberpunk fiasco i guess.

Weird thing nobody will care about... they used to make dogshit shovelware games for portable consoles, tying in to a big AAA release... like GTA for the Game Gear or whatever. The Daikatana game for Gameboy Color is actually pretty awesome, never beat it but worth 45 minutes of my life for sure.
Eight Bit Alien

The Bill wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:56 pm You dudes know there’s a Brutal DOOM 64, made by the Brutal DOOM dude, yes?

:lol: this looks fantastic but I fucking can't. I can't. If I experience this, I won't be able to go back to the vanilla D64... and then I'll have nothing potent enough to scratch the itch while the dumb baby is sleeping :lol:
Eight Bit Alien

And that guy, the Brutal Doom guy, is pretty interesting! Apparently hes making his own standalone "boomer shooter" title for modern systems, which I will definitely buy even if only to support a man who's made me so happy.

He's also working on this VietDoom thing

The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:01 pm
The Bill wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:28 pm

Is daikatana playable on modern systems? I never even gave it a taste.
With a fan made patch, yes. I tried a few years ago, but couldn’t finish it. It’s sooooo boring. All the levels go on forever and the combat is flat. Romero’s absence on Quake 2 is for the best, because the dude sucks at designing rational and story based levels.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:11 pm And that guy, the Brutal Doom guy, is pretty interesting! Apparently hes making his own standalone "boomer shooter" title for modern systems, which I will definitely buy even if only to support a man who's made me so happy.

He's also working on this VietDoom thing

I’m all for these mods and all but that vegetation is just too rough. Some of the Half-Life mods I played did that better and it still took me out of the game.

I’m down for his stand alone game, though. I probably have it wishlisted.
Eight Bit Alien

Yeah im gonna give Vietdoom a shot because I l like the man's sensibilities, but i doubt it'll wind up being a 40 hour bame. Im actually not even sure it's been released anyway...
Eight Bit Alien

What if I made my own doom level
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i made dozens in my teens but they're all lost

it fucking kills me :cry:

I have 8 children.
Eight Bit Alien

Fuck!!! I never had the focus back when I was a lil shaver. I'd get some software like that, learn one menu, and then go eat peanut butter with my hands instead.
That sucks!!! It must have been hard to do back then.
Eight Bit Alien

I beat Extermination Day (Hell on Earth Starter Pack). Absolutely fucking gilded.
Also beat Dragon Sector as mentioned, as well as Final Carnage. I'm running out of Project Brutality friendly campaigns, and I'm worried about where I'm gonna be soon.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

my recollection is sort of hazy now but there were two editors i remember and i used, in my mind, the simpler one and the other one was more autocad looking/inspired and allowed for way more in depth stuff. stuff you could still do in the simple one but you had to input a lot of values by hand?

i'm sure it did become way easier but my brain was so elastic and horny for evil back then that it wadn't no thing but a chicken wing. i made my house and then my immediate neighborhood. i also did one where you start the level in the mouth of a giant demon worm beast and you had to go deeper and deeper into it, there were all these organs that opened and demon bears came out like white blood cells

i made one multiplayer map i think i was proud of at first and then no one on my bbs played it and no one wanted to tell me it sucked so i stuck with trying to make levels

I have 8 children.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

FVBTVS wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:16 pm my recollection is sort of hazy now but there were two editors i remember and i used, in my mind, the simpler one and the other one was more autocad looking/inspired and allowed for way more in depth stuff. stuff you could still do in the simple one but you had to input a lot of values by hand?

i'm sure it did become way easier but my brain was so elastic and horny for evil back then that it wadn't no thing but a chicken wing. i made my house and then my immediate neighborhood. i also did one where you start the level in the mouth of a giant demon worm beast and you had to go deeper and deeper into it, there were all these organs that opened and demon bears came out like white blood cells

i made one multiplayer map i think i was proud of at first and then no one on my bbs played it and no one wanted to tell me it sucked so i stuck with trying to make levels
This, right here, is why this thread is worth its own thread.

Thank you.

I
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I tried to level design once. But it was the Unreal Tournament. Came out like crap.

I lie. I designed maps for War Craft 2. That shit was awesome. I used to make it was like the humans has like a 50 Griffon air-force ready attack birds vs 4 on 1 to the orc’s Vietcong shit on the ground.

I used to also rearrange hockey teams during 1995 to 98. Era. I used to always add the Corinthian to my hockey team. The serial killer from the Sandman comics. He was always my center.
Eight Bit Alien

Haahahhaha the guy who eats everyones eyes???!?!
Eight Bit Alien

FVBTVS wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:16 pm my recollection is sort of hazy now but there were two editors i remember and i used, in my mind, the simpler one and the other one was more autocad looking/inspired and allowed for way more in depth stuff. stuff you could still do in the simple one but you had to input a lot of values by hand?

This is a good story thanks.
Do you remember what any of the levels were called?? Or the name of the BBS?
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

godamn

the only filename that immediately comes to mind is INSIDE because you were inside a giant worm but other than that no. i did initially do all my doom level editing under the name 'EDGE' though :twisted: the final fnatasy ninja characer. my friend posted under feyd rautha??? (i'm texting him now to see what he remembers)

the only bbs names i definitely remember off the top of my head was ABUSE and IVORY TOWER. another one i played a lot of doom on is escaping me, it had 'players' or 'playing' in the name. they had like 12+ lines or something crazy, maybe more, so you could always get games but every one was an absolute psychotic murderer. plus i didn't play with a mouse i was str8 keyboard all the way. i remember they had a guy named CONNOR who would slum there occasionally looking for worthy foes who had a legendary battle with MERLIN or MERLOCK who was a CHAMPION or something and i actually had a recording file of their game together in dead simple and watched it carefully trying to improve

I have 8 children.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

a different one i cant remember is killing me because that one i spent the most time on. it had 8 lines and my friend and i went completely no life insane on trade wars there. made enemies for being pirates. we befriended and had a clan with this guy (SAMHAIN) and his wife who ended up being a skinhead who was into marilyn manson. he invited us to hang out and my mom wouldn't let me go. i think my friend slept over at their house!!!

there was some really creative kid who made cool levels who was even younger than me named SNARF

I have 8 children.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Snarf?! Was Orko and Scrappy-Doo to busy to hang out as well?
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

now im having visions of him calling me on the phone to talk and he was really strange

I have 8 children.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

there was a full aliens inspired conversion for doom very early on i remember playing that was completely insane. they lifted sounds from the movie and aliens screeching and gun sounds. it was kind of a sensory overload in a bad way with terrible sound mixing but they managed to make non-transparent but trans-substantial? textures that created the chitinous dripping hive feeling really well and the levels took advantage of those textures to create an amazing atmosphere of claustrophobia that was unforgettable

I have 8 children.