Latest movie you watched (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
MPD
I hate your life.

Re: Latest movie you watched (1-10 scale)

Post by MPD »

Overboard (1987) - 6.5
Saw IV - 4.5
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

Talk Radio - 8.3, really fun watch.

Reminded me a lot of Uncut Gems, didn't realize until it was over that that Bagosian dude did both flicks. I've always really enjoyed movies that take place almost entirely in a single room, and radio is a perfect gimmick for that since you get an unlimited amount of off-camera input.

Pontypool was another great take on that idea, kinda felt like that one fell apart in the third act though.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

ghost boner wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:22 pm Once again Fatbus and I agree. The northman rules ass. 9/10
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Fucking fuck fuck fuck. I think that Ultimate Warrorw just gave a stroke. Part kidding.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

https://imgur.com/a/OrgM9UR
this fvbtvs link didn't load for me but it's totally worth it

I can't believe there are CIVAL WAR vibes right now over the northman. aside from warpsmasher saying "meh", I gave it a 7.3 (not terrible!), and I said it was disappointing. if you guys don't think it could have been better. you probably haven't seen Revenge of the Sith recently enough. I just expected more because I liked that guy's other movies so much. going from dialogue/accent perfectionism to that horseshit where everyone speaks in a random variation of English accent? fuck, I'm just stoking the flames of unrest...

. . .

crimes of the future [2022] 6.9/10 wanted to love this one a lot more too
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

crimes of the future

dont want to number this but :tup: :tup:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Necrometer wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:15 pm you probably haven't seen Revenge of the Sith recently enough.
:lol: :lol:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

I think Silence (scorcese) was the last movie I saw where I had to white knuckle suppress my frustration over their accents in order to get down with thr movie which was still very good in spite of it

I think unless it's scientifically egregious or comically distracting you just gotta roll with bad or inconsistent accents in movies.

Same thing with Nicole Kidmans plastic surgery face and age in relation to Sksrkakrkagarsd etc. Ok yeah she doesn't exactly fit in realistically but when do you just relax and appreciate her performance. Becauseb she's still awesome in almost everything shes in despite her jacked up grill. It's kinda crazy

I'm not above nitpicking I just think there was way more to appreciate here. There could have been way more errors and stuff but the core of the northmans concept and story arc is just absolutely rock solid imo. Cliche even! Worst you can say is its in 'stolen riff' territory which okay fine 🤐

The trailers did give the impression of a kind of propulsively relentless pace (fury roadish) and that wasn't the case. There was too much in the story that needed the main character to be quiet and reserved as he penetrated fjolnirs circle, fall in love etc. I think it'll age well but I could be wrong!
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

:tup: I gotta be clear that hot-mess accents don't BOTHER me (I don't even mind Keanu in Dracula or Devil's Advocate)... the spot-on language stuff is just something cool and pro-immersion that I thought I could trust this guy to deliver

crimes of the future is seeming better and better as I get some distance from it

here's an interview where DC spells everything out for dullards like me

I think it would be a fun sci-fi premise (or a shitty future) for scientists to release some engineered plastic-consuming microbes in the name of bioremediation, which then ends up bringing the slime and rot of natural degradation into places that had been clean & civilized. never thought of people doing the clean-up themselves...
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Foot Foot
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Post by Foot Foot »

Pizzagate Massacre - 3/10.

truly have no fucking idea what they were going for here.
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

Ally Cat ('84) - 6/10 - some 80's girl power martial arts mixed with some women in prison elements. It's low budget, plenty of T&A exploitation, and Karin Mani has the goods.

Are You in the House Alone ('78) - 6.5/10 - Pretty dark made-for-TV thriller with a young Dennis Quaid. Has one of the best ending voice over lines I've seen in a movie that laments a (still) broken justice system.

Dead Heat ('86) - 7/10 - Things that hold up: Great practical effects and original premise. Things that do not hold up: every joke and sarcastic remark. As a child, I must have thought Joe Piscapo was funny due to his association with SNL and Eddy Murphy - but let me be very clear: he is a cringe factory. Treat Williams is also not funny in this movie, but he somehow manages to eek out an ounce of charm and likability.
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

Hunter wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:40 pm
Dead Heat ('86) - 7/10 - Things that hold up: Great practical effects and original premise. Things that do not hold up: every joke and sarcastic remark. As a child, I must have thought Joe Piscapo was funny due to his association with SNL and Eddy Murphy - but let me be very clear: he is a cringe factory. Treat Williams is also not funny in this movie, but he somehow manages to eek out an ounce of charm and likability.
I loved this movie as a kid but one thing I always found jarring was the prolonged agonizing death of one of the female characters. It’s far crueler than any other part of the film to the point where I would even dare to use the word pathos. I know they put that scene in the movie to show off the special effects budget but it doesn’t fit at all with the jokey slap stick tone of the rest of the film.
Ill body
/
Ill will
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

Hot fuzz - 9/10
formerly ghost boner
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

Ichi The Killer 9/10
Spider Baby 9/10
Ill body
/
Ill will
ThePhillyExperiment
ultimate EVIL

Post by ThePhillyExperiment »

The Batman - 6.5/10
brobot wrote: "Some guy asked me if I was a robot...like a Relapse robot? I have no idea what he was talking about."
GLEN BENTON wrote: ONLY THING IS I LOOK AT THE GIRLS AT THE MOVIES, AND THERE BETWEEN 10 AND 14!
MPD
I hate your life.

Post by MPD »

Downton Abbey: A New Era - 7.5

The Boy Who Could Fly - 7
The Night House - 5

Beavis and Butt-Head Do the Universe - 8.5

Firestarter (2022) - 0
Saw V - 4
Saw VI - 5
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Beavis and Butt-Head Do the Universe - 10
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:45 pm Beavis and Butt-Head Do the Universe - 10
Whoa!! That’s cool.
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

its so god damn stupid and rules so fucking hard, but id say an 8 for me. they also put some (not all) episodes up WITH the music videos
formerly ghost boner
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

I won't lie, it did trail off a bit by the end, it's not actually perfect.
But my love for B&B goes so deep that I was laughing almost constantly - just watching those guys fills me with pure joy.
I'm sorry for abusing the score system a bit, but for me it was an absolute 10. I'm pretty sure this is leading to a new season of the show, and if that's true then I'm quite confident it'll be good shit. This proved to me that Judge still knows exactly what to do with these characters; it's not a hollow re-tread at all.
pooptastik
Too Many Sads Too Many Regrets

Post by pooptastik »

Mad God - 4/10
really wanted to like it but I kept yawning. appreciate the time and craft put into this but it didn't really do much for me.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:38 pm I won't lie, it did trail off a bit by the end, it's not actually perfect.
But my love for B&B goes so deep that I was laughing almost constantly - just watching those guys fills me with pure joy.
I'm sorry for abusing the score system a bit, but for me it was an absolute 10. I'm pretty sure this is leading to a new season of the show, and if that's true then I'm quite confident it'll be good shit. This proved to me that Judge still knows exactly what to do with these characters; it's not a hollow re-tread at all.
You said score.
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

licorice pizza
Image Certified Poster
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

cxwx wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:35 pm
Hunter wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:40 pm DEAD HEAT
I loved this movie as a kid but one thing I always found jarring was the prolonged agonizing death of one of the female characters. It’s far crueler than any other part of the film to the point where I would even dare to use the word pathos. I know they put that scene in the movie to show off the special effects budget but it doesn’t fit at all with the jokey slap stick tone of the rest of the film.
The woman melting/falling apart in front of one of the main characters who will be facing this same fate at some point in the next 24 hours does seem especially cruel. IMO, there's not really much that fits together in this movie. It's just mashing a practical horror gorefest with a buddy cop premise, and there's no special care taken to help you care about anyone in the movie what-so-ever. I'd say it has it's own charm, but I don't think that term could apply to a Joe Piscapo flick.

The Card Counter ('21) - 6.5/10 - a pandemic project from Paul Schrader that mostly works well. It seemed like they hit Tiffany Haddish with a tranq gun whenever she's on screen - which is weird, because the whole reason you cast Tiffany Haddish is to add some chaotic energy.

Doc Strange itMoM ('22) - 7 - Great to see some old Raimi techniques again, even if filtered through Disney lens. It's not his greatest film, but definitely not his worst.

Rappin' ('85) - 4 - Mario Van Peebles is "Rappin' Hood" who just served a bid, Ice-T has a cameo with a group called "Ice-T", and Kadeem Hardison looks like he's 15. It's kind of a "We need to save the community center by having a competition" type movie -- and very odd.

Beavis & Butthead DtU ('22) - 5 - I was never a huge fan, so my nostalgia addled brain wasn't flooding me with endorphins while I watched it. But I liked it better than "Do America" even if I was only was paying half attention.

Heat ('95) - 7 - When this first came out, everyone was super psyched that DeNiro and Pacino were together in a movie. The excess of hype paired with being the ever intimidating double vhs tape release, I just never saw it. Now that I have, I think it's good - but I don't feel like I was missing out on a monumental film.

Miami Connection ('87) - 6 - If you're not watching this in at least a semi packed theater, it's probably advisable to watch the "Making of" docs on this, or at least get some context of who Y.K. Kim is. The context adds to the experience, in my opinion.