Latest movie you watched (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Eight Bit Alien
I hate your life.

What kills Alien 3 for me is the weird Terry Gilliam sense of design and tone. The prisoner characters look and act in a sorta dreamlike way that totally turns me off - camera work is the same way.

Ive never seen the alternative cuts, and ive been told that theres at least two which are improvements... hard to imagine a silver bullet for that flick, though. It just feels like... WACKY!!!
Zerohero wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:59 am cleaning out old stuff in the freezer--- old slice of leftover pizza..boom eaten back to life
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

christine - 9/10. another one id never seen. so fucking good
formerly ghost boner
Eight Bit Alien
I hate your life.

ghost boner wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:25 pm christine - 9/10. another one id never seen. so fucking good
Saw this aeons ago, when I was a dumb kid. I'd like to watch it again - I've been going through the Stephen King shit from this era, and it's pretty cool to re-experience it as an adult. Was it good as a movie legitimately or was it like... kinda retarded but awesome?
Zerohero wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:59 am cleaning out old stuff in the freezer--- old slice of leftover pizza..boom eaten back to life
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

it started off as a typical cheesy but radd carpenter flick for like a second but then is just so badass right up until the end. most of what i thought i was getting into was totally thrown out the window and replaced with a genuinely awesome film. check it out man. its def worth the watch
formerly ghost boner
Eight Bit Alien
I hate your life.

Thanks Verno.
ThePhillyExperiment
COOTIES

Judas and the Black Messiah - 7.5/10 - Donnie Brasco for darkies.
brobot wrote: "Some guy asked me if I was a robot...like a Relapse robot? I have no idea what he was talking about."
GLEN BENTON wrote: ONLY THING IS I LOOK AT THE GIRLS AT THE MOVIES, AND THERE BETWEEN 10 AND 14!
ThePhillyExperiment
COOTIES

ghost boner wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:25 pm it started off as a typical cheesy but radd carpenter flick for like a second but then is just so badass right up until the end. most of what i thought i was getting into was totally thrown out the window and replaced with a genuinely awesome film. check it out man. its def worth the watch
The flaming car is still one of the greatest things ever.
brobot wrote: "Some guy asked me if I was a robot...like a Relapse robot? I have no idea what he was talking about."
GLEN BENTON wrote: ONLY THING IS I LOOK AT THE GIRLS AT THE MOVIES, AND THERE BETWEEN 10 AND 14!
godofdeadlydeath
I hate your life.

Face/Off - 9/10
Stabbed in the eyes with a fucking caak...

https://soundcloud.com/mthomassteele
Hunter
and friends

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:29 am What kills Alien 3 for me is the weird Terry Gilliam sense of design and tone. The prisoner characters look and act in a sorta dreamlike way that totally turns me off - camera work is the same way.

Ive never seen the alternative cuts, and ive been told that theres at least two which are improvements... hard to imagine a silver bullet for that flick, though. It just feels like... WACKY!!!
I can see that - although I think the Assembly Cut manages to shift the Gilliam goon characters into more Mad Max goonery for me. Weird how the trajectory of the series managed to slowly exaggerate characters from a normal crew in the first film to bordering-on-french-clown level characters in Jeunet's Resurrection.

Christine and Cujo are two Stephen King flicks I've been meaning to rewatch, considering I haven't seen them since I was a kid. Semi-related: I picked up Pet Sematary Two last week for no apparent good reason other than Clancy Brown and a hankering to revisit some early 90's horror. Stephen King was not involved.

Alphabet City (84) - 6/10
Amos Poe's gritty NYC flick that co-stars Michael Winslow as a drug addicted dealer who does all the sound effects you'd expect. Lots of great lighting & shots, cool car, music was... meh - especially for the "punk" filmmaker. Acting didn't sell me.

Maniac Cop (88) - 5/10
I thought I'd enjoy this more, but in full disclosure, I slept for about 20 minutes of the first half. I'll chalk up my disappointment to having set my expectations too high -- and who can blame me? Robert Z'dar, Bruce Cambell, Richard Roundtree, Bill Lustig directing, 80's NYC... seemed right up my alley.
ThePhillyExperiment
COOTIES

Ski School - 1/10
godofdeadlydeath
I hate your life.

ThePhillyExperiment wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:26 pm Ski School - 1/10
Ski Patrol is way better
Stabbed in the eyes with a fucking caak...

https://soundcloud.com/mthomassteele
Eight Bit Alien
I hate your life.

Hunter wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:53 am Alphabet City (84) - 6/10
Amos Poe's gritty NYC flick that co-stars Michael Winslow as a drug addicted dealer who does all the sound effects you'd expect. Lots of great lighting & shots, cool car, music was... meh - especially for the "punk" filmmaker. Acting didn't sell me.
Damn dude just caught the trailer for this, looks awesome. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I fucking love shit like this.
THE KILL
I hate your life.

Shoplifters 8/10
starts slowly, but IMO deserves all the praise it got and it made me want to see every other film Koreeda has made.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
Hunter
and friends

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:15 pm
Hunter wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:53 am Alphabet City (84) - 6/10
Damn dude just caught the trailer for this, looks awesome. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I fucking love shit like this.
Right on - I think my expectations might have been a little high when I saw it. Seems pretty heavily influenced by Michael Mann's Thief, both in plot elements and style. I picked up the restoration on Vinegar Syndrome, but I think the version on Amazon Prime looks pretty good too. I'm curious to know what others think of it.
MPD
ANSU++

Fatima - 6
Pieces of a Woman - 6.5
Repulsion - 8

The Short History of the Long Road - 7.5
Another Round - 8
Chinatown - 9

JFK - 10
The Little Things - 7
The Platform - 0
ThePhillyExperiment
COOTIES

Dark Waters - 8/10
'71 - 7.5/10
MPD
ANSU++

Soul - 9
Wonder Woman 1984 - 3
The Thing (1982) - 10
Hunter
and friends

Record City (77) - 8/10
Day-in-the-life of a wacky record store, complete with sabotage and a lot of ass grabbing. Rick Dees shows up to do a live broadcast wearing a gorilla arm. All sorts of B-Listers from the 70s make appearances.

Game of Death 2 (81) - 8.5/10
I had never heard of this, but it's a bonus film in the Bruce Lee Criterion set. Lots of Bruce Lee footage (including his funeral?) is spliced into the story. Bruce Lee's character is killed, so his brother (who does everything exactly like Bruce Lee) comes to save the day. Weird as hell.

Menace II Society (93) - 8/10
I thought this held up pretty well, all things considered - with the exception of that closing MC Eiht song, oof. I never noticed the Everlast diss track by DJ Quick.

Coming 2 America - 5/10
Reunion-core - best scenes had Wesley Snipes. I was hoping for more from the crew that did "Dolemite is My Name"

Brainstorm (83) - 9/10
This was one of my favorites growing up, but hadn't seen it in era of HD. It benefits a lot from a big screen. Most of the movie is shot in a 1.17:1 aspect ratio, but when playing back memories and other similar perspectives, it's shot in 2.2:1. It creates a disorienting effect - like almost hyper real. This was all a surprise after having only seen it on tv screens, and everything was cropped to the same size. Natalie Woods final film.
ThePhillyExperiment
COOTIES

Wind River - 8/10
MPD
ANSU++

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - 10
Age of Ultron - 6.5
ThePhillyExperiment
COOTIES

Bullitt - 7.5/`10 - 5 for the San Francisco car chase scene alone. Right up there with The French Connection.
ThePhillyExperiment
COOTIES

I Care a Lot - 5/10 - Was good, if not ridiculous, at first, but then gets progressively discombobulated, ridiculous and unsure what it's trying to be. Was trying to slap The Firm and Wolf of Wallstreet together, but at least the characters from those other films had some sort of likeable characteristics.
FVBTVS
Sweet Lord _______

kid90 - 3
Hunter
and friends

Brainscan (94) - 5/10
90's VR Techno-horror with a bad guy that reminded me more of a coked up club owner than some super evil and powerful entity. Weird to hear OLD featured often in the soundtrack - and when looking into it more, they credit "Jimmy Plotkin". The soundtrack is better than the film, and that only has a handful of good bands. I dug it, but can't recommend it with a good conscience.

Dead & Buried (81) - 6/10
One of the few films I hadn't seen that involved Dan O'Bannon. It's a zombie-ish movie, along the lines of Serpent & the Rainbow's conceit, I guess? I wasn't engrossed, and I like Gary Sherman as a director. Need to be in the mood for a pretty slow paced horror flick.

Firewalker (86) - 4/10
This Cannon flim did not age well for me - there's a lot of Native American stereotypes at play that made me cringe. Chuck Norris doesn't have the charisma to play Indiana Jones, but Louis Gossett Jr does. He's great.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (86) - 7/10
I was expecting this to have not aged well - I remembered it being goofier, despite it being pretty goofy anyway. Boils down to a pretty good episode of Star Trek.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (91) - 6.5/10
Christopher Plummer as Chang - early appearance of Michael Dorn as a Klingon defense attorney - also a young Christian Slater appearance. I enjoyed it, but not my favorite Trek flick.
MPD
ANSU++