The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:06 am It ran 60 frames, 4K, max settings*, and with 2 nVidia reshade/ansel filters on WHEN IT MATTERED. Combat, platforming, and dialogue challenges were perfect. Yet, boy, the game would dip, hitch, and stutter at random points like turning down a different street. I think that game would try to load assets or level areas without a loading screen at times. Some of those long ass elevator rides were obvious covers for level loading. This was the so called Director’s Cut Edition, so maybe that version is uncapped.
I have to check again what I have. When I upgraded to my new PC I installed it again, and no matter what I did to the settings, the framerate didn't change. Either I'm missing something or the framerate's capped.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:02 am
I have to check again what I have. When I upgraded to my new PC I installed it again, and no matter what I did to the settings, the framerate didn't change. Either I'm missing something or the framerate's capped.
PCGamingWiki says both versions can run at 60 and even 120. Don’t know what to tell you. Maybe turn off VSync in-game and force through the nVidia control panel.

Got the Ghostbusters Remaster from a weekly free give away the Epic store does… weekly. Game looks really good. You people take advantage of the weekly free giveaways, right? I have 203 free games. Some I already owned, yes. And some are just indie game trash, but some are real gems.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:14 pm PCGamingWiki says both versions can run at 60 and even 120. Don’t know what to tell you. Maybe turn off VSync in-game and force through the nVidia control panel.
I'll take another look. I really want to like this game, so, you know.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I think I found my so called Halloween game to play:

THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

For those of you who are into Candy Cabs (though you'll probably have heard about this anyway if you are), there will be a mini version of the legendary Egret II featuring, I kid you not, an easily tate-able monitor just like the original:

It's also going to have an 8/4way switch for the joystick and its going to be a fair bit bigger than the heap of bullshit that the Mini Astro City was:

Taito is even releasing a trackball/ spinner-controller for it:

Release date is March 2022. I preordered the cab itself and the trackball controller... :drooly: :mastoman:
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I don’t know, man. I would have like one of those stupid little things when I was 5, or whatever. I had a Vetrex back then:

But not now. No thanks.

Beat Star Trek Voyager: Elite Forces. It was a fine FPSer for the time, but hasn’t aged without issues. My god, though. The dorky Star Trek pandering.

Started Castlevania: Circle of the Moon. So far so good. Isn’t as polished as Symphony of the Night. Map seems huge.

Also replaying Doom 3. Now outside of some ugly texture details and character models I think this gets better with age.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Used to own an Egret III, but never an Egret II, which is kinda the holy grail of candy cabs, and I think the mini version is adorable.... I don't care how silly it is, I love the mini consoles, too. Would kill for a Vectrex, there weren't many around in Germany in the 80s, and nowadays you have to pay stupid collector's prices for them.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Pretty fully consumed playing Hades.

Had a crack on the Battlefield Beta and 128 players is just retarded - the KDR was not on point.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

Maybe halfway through Metroid Dread.
Feel like there's a lot of really beautiful stuff in this game which I'm kinda missing because of how frustrating it is.

Metroid to me is a slow and purposeful mood, a bit understated. It is like Alien 1, not Alien v Predator. This new thing is very kinetic and extremely invested in quicktime events. The map is very dense and mazelike, with frequent surprise dead-ends or roadblocks, which makes the expected and mandatory backtracking extremely tedious. I spent almost 2 hours scanning the map for a missed door or room earlier.

It's got tons of DNA from Fusion, which was my least favorite of the core games by a fucking mile.

I don't mind that this exists and I may well warm up to it by the end, but if this becomes the new standard for the series (or the genre) I will become sad.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

its definitely different. i just beat the first boss (which took like 15 fucking times) but im liking it. i do hate the map quite a bit and its got too many buttons. i dont have my console with me just the hand held and its fucking hard as shit on this little thing. is it easier on the console?
formerly ghost boner
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

I'm playing it handheld too, maybe I should try it on the dock... idk tho man, probably the same.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Will I ever play through and actually finish Super Metriod and/or Prime? I’m afraid I’m going to just drop dead if I finally do.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

I've never beaten Prime either man. I've got a gamecube memory card somewhere around here with a 75% save file on it... should really dig that out and throw it into Dolphin or something. SM I think I run through every 3 years... that fucking ending is chiseled in marble inside my heart forever.

I don't want you to die though so trust your gut. I've faced similar problems in my own life.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:08 pm
I don't want you to die though so trust your gut. I've faced similar problems in my own life.
Well, in the last few years I’ve finally beaten Blood, No One Lives Forever 2, Vampire the Masquerade, Castlevania 1, and Quake 1. These were top of the top all time to do listers and I didn’t even lose an ear or testicle.

Anyway! It’s finally time for Resident Evil Village.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Damn dude good job. I can pretend I've beaten Castlevania but if not for save states there's absolutely no fucking way I would've gotten through that final Dracula fight. Can't believe people anywhere can actually do that shit. Blood also used to kick my ass all over, never even tried to beat that - fucking cool game though.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

I've got a list somewhere of games I beat 90% of and then abandoned for no reason, it was fucking huge. I have no idea why I do that.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:51 pm I've got a list somewhere of games I beat 90% of and then abandoned for no reason, it was fucking huge. I have no idea why I do that.
Even a good game can overstay it’s welcome. Especially these now a days games with the open world, and crafting, and grinding. Sure, they might have been a bit of alright when I was a kid or broke college student and had limited games at the disposal. Now they’re a pain in the ass, quite frankly. If I never buy another game I think I can coast the rest of my life off my Steam library and emulation. Especially if I play Metriod Prime or Super. Because I might just drop dead then and there.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

After constant battles since 2017 my PC can finally be set to HDR without a washed out Windows 10, fugly lighting in modern games, nor overly dark older game (Sin from 1998, for example). Maybe I’ve gone mad, but I swear even non-HDR games look like they’ve visually improved a touch, based on random experimentation.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

The Bill wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:02 pm
Well, in the last few years I’ve finally beaten ... Castlevania 1
Pfff, compared to that shit Super Metroid is piss-easy... I beat it once every couple of years, but I've never had the tenacity to try CV1 again. Fuck that game and especially its Medusa heads...
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

The Bill wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:07 pm Will I ever play through and actually finish Super Metriod and/or Prime? I’m afraid I’m going to just drop dead if I finally do.
i've fully completed super metroid maybe 4-5 times! i'm not even a quarter the game completionist you seem to be from your posts. you gotta do it dude. its the fucking best. i think after the first couple hours you'll wonder how you even waited this long. :tup:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Dudes! I never said I hated it or anything. It’s just a thing I keep dropping in favor of something else, be it as good or not or a weekend of nude oil wrestling with the Mrs.

Now playing, In Sound Mind. A horror style first person… fine.

Now fucking playing Super Metriod.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Wish I could play/ beat it again for the first time... have fun, mate! :cheers:
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Dang! My birthday has the GTA and Skyrim anniversary remaster things coming out same day. I think the rest of the fall is spoken for.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I'm trying to motivate myself to play through the Crysis remaster, but it's... kinda boring? I played one of the console versions of the original back in the day, so I know it gets more interesting towards the end, but this endless slog through trees and bushes and "Korean" soldiers speaking English for no reason except to let you know whether you're still in stealth is just... ugh. It also doesn't run that well, more like they slapped on ray tracing, and now it's too demanding again.

I'm actually a fan of the series, but I got into it with Crysis 2, so the supposed "sandbox" aspects of the first game are a bit lost on me. I dunno.