The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by THE KILL »

Played the new Ghosts'n Goblins on Switch for about fifteen hours and din't get past stage 4. It's fucking brutal, harder than any other G&G or Ghouls'n Ghosts game IMO, but it's great old school game design.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

The Bill wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:48 pm Zelda Skyward Sword coming to the Switch and you can play it without the motion control bullshit? Any opinions on it? I can not stand Wii remote dick piss, so I gave it a hard pass then. Worth a look?
This might be my least favorite Zelda experience tbh.
No Cunting Elves
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

It had one of the best stories, and some of the best music in the series... but I really wouldn't recommend it at all. It really was a very mixed bag. More than anything I found it a chore to get through... even though there was some brilliant shit in it. Maybe if they toned down the text box prompts from the Navi-sword character... but honestly the motion controls were baked so deeply into the game that I'm not sure what would happen if you took them out. All the combat was motion matching... the dungeon puzzles, the bird flight, the 'drone' beetle device.
I'd be curious to play that to see if it was cool or not, but I have fucking PTSD from that sword creature bothering me every 2 seconds....
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

I signed up for this Xbox Game Pass for PC because it’s the only way to play Evil Within 1 in a proper first person. I forgot the first one was such a wannabe Resident Evil 4 meets SAW style body horror. Still, in first person it’s a much better game. And as a “first person shooter” it’s better than most modern FPS’ers.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
abdominalpillaging
I hate your life.

Post by abdominalpillaging »

I just converted my E-Swat arcade pcb to the Darksoft Sega System 16 multiboard. So after burning a fuckton of EEPROMS and swapping some stuff out I have all of the games running off 1 board. So the arcade versions of Shinobi, Golden Axe, Altered Beast, and so on. It's a cool little piece of kit.

i like to dissect women
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

:drooly:
That's so awesome, man. Now and again, I regret selling my Egret III... but arcade shit breaks too often. Btw have you tried Riot City? Is it any good?
abdominalpillaging
I hate your life.

THE KILL wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:33 am :drooly:
That's so awesome, man. Now and again, I regret selling my Egret III... but arcade shit breaks too often. Btw have you tried Riot City? Is it any good?
Damn I'd kill for an Egret, but then again I wouldn't have any room for it. One of these days I'll have the garage cleaned out enough for at least one candy cab though.

Initially I just ran through them all to make sure they were working. Riot City was one that stuck out enough that I'll go through it when I have some time. It wasn't great, but I wouldn't say it was bad either. There were a handful of games on there I'd never seen, like some obvious Contra inspired game and a vertical tank shmup. A huge amount of the System 16 stuff is weird sports games that used trackballs or other weird shit though.
i like to dissect women
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

abdominalpillaging wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:44 am
THE KILL wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:33 am :drooly:
Damn I'd kill for an Egret, but then again I wouldn't have any room for it. One of these days I'll have the garage cleaned out enough for at least one candy cab though.

Initially I just ran through them all to make sure they were working. Riot City was one that stuck out enough that I'll go through it when I have some time. It wasn't great, but I wouldn't say it was bad either. There were a handful of games on there I'd never seen, like some obvious Contra inspired game and a vertical tank shmup. A huge amount of the System 16 stuff is weird sports games that used trackballs or other weird shit though.
Thanks for you impressions on Riot City!

I just skimmed the System 16 list, and there's a boxing game in there (Heavyweight Champ) with a very interesting looking cab with custom controls:

Anyway, yeah any Egret is a wonderful machine, but in the end I didn't play it often enough that it was justified having one. Eventually, the screen broke (actually, it was the yoke, but you can't get a replacement for that so I would have had to buy a CRT, which would have cost me at least 600 Eurobucks with shipping to Germany) and I sold it for roughly what I paid for it 14 years ago. It's crazy how cheap even Egret IIs were, you could get one for under 1000 dollars in the 2000s when all the Japanese arcades were replacing their CRT cabs with LCD cabs.
Anyway, I'm often jealous of you Americans, seems like you can get classic arcade cabs for a couple of hundred bucks over there. If you want to get hold of an original Donkey Kong in Germany, you have to spend more like 2000 Euros... btw which cab are you running your System 16 pcb on?
abdominalpillaging
I hate your life.

Most of the cheap ones in the states are usually just beat Dynamo cabs. If you want to put some work into one you could eventually find a Nintendo cab for cheap, but it would likely be beat as fuck.

I just do the supergun thing. Run it into an XRGB Framemeister and end up with a really good looking image on a flat screen. Or occasionally I'll pull out one of my PVMs and run it to that.
i like to dissect women
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Just snagged the PC version of Horizon Zero Dawn for 30 $bux on GOG... that was one of the games I liked but never finished a few years ago, and now I didn't want to go back to it because of the framerate, so, you know. Might give this another shot to pass the time until the Cyberpunk expansions come out.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

I’m keen as for the new HDZ. I felt the first one dragged on a bit, but at the same time it was heaps of fun - the previews looked insane for the sequel.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Uh, yeah, also the PC version isn't really that much better than the PS4 version, but I was so late in the game when I quit that I basically don't remember anything, and I'm glad I started over... I got sucked right back in. I agree it dragged a bit story-wise, which is why I quit - I kind of felt like I already knew where it was going, and it just wouldn't get there. But just playing the damn game is so much fun.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:23 pm Uh, yeah, also the PC version isn't really that much better than the PS4 version, but I was so late in the game when I quit that I basically don't remember anything, and I'm glad I started over... I got sucked right back in. I agree it dragged a bit story-wise, which is why I quit - I kind of felt like I already knew where it was going, and it just wouldn't get there. But just playing the damn game is so much fun.
Yeah, it was fine enough but suffers from the plight most of new action games have. Open/sandbox level design, collecting crap to craft crap, and dumbass side quests. And if you can’t predict the ending and “swerve” then I suggest you just go back to only watching college football.

Restarted Metro 2033. Monsters are bigger damage sponges than I remember, but still probably better than any other first person shooter from that time forward that I can think of that’s not DOOM or Bioshock.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:16 pm Yeah, it was fine enough but suffers from the plight most of new action games have. Open/sandbox level design, collecting crap to craft crap, and dumbass side quests.
Honestly, I think it does a pretty good job at not making any of the usual open world game stuff too annoying. The crafting's there, but it barely matters (honestly, it's so easy to craft arrows that it might as well be infinite ammo), I actually thought the story sidequests were good and there isn't really a whole lot of OCD shit like fetch quests or other repetitive stuff.

Honestly, though, with hindsight what fascinates me the most is how this game didn't give the post-gamergaters a collective aneurysm with its female protagonist that it's not interested in sexualizing and tribal matriarchs and, you know, just all around being a despicable example of toxic feminism. Heh.

Anyway, I finished it today, and I'm glad I went back to it. It's really fun, except maybe for that idiotic final bossfight. May still do the DLC and will probably use the sequel as an excuse to get a PS5, even though I really just want the Demon's Souls remake.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Re-Beat Metro 2033 Redux. Started Yakuza Kiwani. Fuck, this is a lot harder than Fist of the Northstar and Yakuza 0. Like a lot harder. I’m a touch too old now to mentally handle hard games anymore. Well, see how this goes.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I'm actually hyped for the Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Honestly hadn't realized how much real estate this series still takes up in my brain. I'm watching Youtube videos and seriously looking forward to playing this shit again.

On PC.

With a goddamn controller.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:48 pm I'm actually hyped for the Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Honestly hadn't realized how much real estate this series still takes up in my brain. I'm watching Youtube videos and seriously looking forward to playing this shit again.

On PC.

With a goddamn controller.
Dude! Best shit ever
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

I played through that entire fuckin series, really 100%ing it too, but then got to the final 10% of the third game and just never came back to it. I have no idea why the fuck I do that - it wasn't because of fan angst about the ending either, I'd heard about it ahead of time and really didn't care at all. I never got to see my space wife without her helmet on.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I had four different Shepards, and most of them I did multiple playthroughs with. Especially ME2, because I got completely obsessed with having the saves be the way I wanted them to be for ME3. It's really kind of embarrassing. I also still have the face codes for those characters.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Very very nice this continuing saga of the Yakuza series. Starting with Zero into One. I admit alot of the Japs look alike and I can’t keep their names’ straight, but when it comes to the real story, it’s better than Witcher 3.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Mass Effect Legendary Edition preloaded on Steam. So strange, I haven’t been excited to play a game in years, but I keep thinking about it.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:42 pm Mass Effect Legendary Edition preloaded on Steam. So strange, I haven’t been excited to play a game in years, but I keep thinking about it.
Same here. Preloaded it two days ago and now I'm sitting at home and literally counting the hours until it unlocks.

Why Steam, though? afaik it'll load Origin anyway, so I figured I might as well get it there.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:11 am
The Bill wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:42 pm Mass Effect Legendary Edition preloaded on Steam. So strange, I haven’t been excited to play a game in years, but I keep thinking about it.
Same here. Preloaded it two days ago and now I'm sitting at home and literally counting the hours until it unlocks.

Why Steam, though? afaik it'll load Origin anyway, so I figured I might as well get it there.
I guess I just prefer to get games on Steam since 99% of my PC stuff is on Steam, so it’s more of an organization thing. Yeah, I have Origins, Epic, GOG Galaxy, Uplay… but I’ll always pick the Steam version if possible. It’s getting ridiculous with all the launchers, lately. I see I need Rockstar, Bethesda, 2K, Battle.net for other stuff now. I’m fighting ever needing Activision/Blizzard’s thing.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:15 amI’ll always pick the Steam version if possible. It’s getting ridiculous with all the launchers, lately.
Same here, but I also don't want to have two launchers running at the same time, which is why I went with the Origin version for this one. It really is getting annoying, though - I needed to clear some space on my harddrive earlier this week, and it seriously took me like 15 minutes to figure out that I had the MW2 remake taking up a ton of space because it was in the Battle.net launcher that I'd forgotten I even had installed.

Also, 75 minutes to go.