The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by The Bill »

Whoa! PS4 vs PC Tomb Raider is an interesting debate. PS4 easily has a better shader, but PC on Ultra is crisp and has better textures with AA & AS. I guess it's just a matter of preference, but I've always said I prefer detailed textures over lighting, so I guess I prefer the PC version. Also, Lara's ass is easier to make out on the PC. Ass always wins.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Got Steam keys for these games below. PM or reply here if interested.
Star Wars™ Knights of the Old Republic™
Star Wars™ Jedi Knight™: Jedi Academy™
Star Wars™: Dark Forces
Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II
Star Wars™ Knights of the Old Republic™ II: The Sith Lords™
Star Wars™ Republic Commando
Star Wars™ Empire At War: Gold Pack
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Wang Mandu wrote:Got Steam keys
So... did you get the Humble Bundle just for the Force Unleashed games? Because that's what I did. :lol:

By the way, I'm replaying TW2 for what is probably the 15th time, and it's fucking ridiculous how good this game looks on Ultra. I really hope they address the texture pop-in issues in the new version of their engine, but the lighting is boner-tastic. And this game's from 2011.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

I'll snag Empire at War if it's still available

I remember having fun with it even though it was kind of bad
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

spacehamster wrote:
Wang Mandu wrote:Got Steam keys
So... did you get the Humble Bundle just for the Force Unleashed games? Because that's what I did. :lol:
Yep and I really regret the 12 bucks I spent. Well, at least I can tell myself the money is going to Unicef and it'll help some unfortunate person :? . I fired up TFU and I completely forgot how fucking awful this port is. I had to edit a file to get it to go fullscreen, it's capped at 30fps and there's horrible pop-in. It's not even an open world game, lol. One of the worst ports I've every played in my life. I'm not even sure I'm going to bother with TFU2.

Back to Demon's Souls.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Wang Mandu wrote:I fired up TFU and I completely forgot how fucking awful this port is. I had to edit a file to get it to go fullscreen, it's capped at 30fps and there's horrible pop-in. It's not even an open world game, lol. One of the worst ports I've every played in my life.
Oh. Ugh. Well, I also didn't have any of the other games except KOTOR I+II, so if nothing else, I've just added like five more games I'll never play to my library, spent almost nothing on it, and at least that almost nothing was a donation.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Wang Mandu wrote:Got Steam keys for these games below. PM or reply here if interested.
Star Wars™ Knights of the Old Republic™
Star Wars™ Jedi Knight™: Jedi Academy™
Star Wars™: Dark Forces
Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II
Star Wars™ Knights of the Old Republic™ II: The Sith Lords™
Star Wars™ Republic Commando
Star Wars™ Empire At War: Gold Pack
I'll take Republic Commando & Knights of the Old Republic 2, please.

Geoff, felt the same way about Mordor at first. Pro tip, collect as much "money" as you can and save up for the sword special move. Also, just do the main missions first till you get the one about assassinations, then the game really begins.0
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I'm playing a bit of Final Fantasy XIII because, you know, Steam sale and the cheap thrill of pretty graphics. So far, all I've done is run forward and mash the A button. From what I remember reading about this game in reviews, that's pretty much all you do, right? The tutorials and the map are hilarious. Tutorials are basically of the "grenades explode" variety (thank you, Blood Dragon), and the map is... it's just a long fucking corridor, why is there even a map? Sigh.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Christ, this game is like being trapped inside the head of someone who posts creepy fanart on Deviantart.

Although I have to say, in defense of this game's fans, clearly the reason everyone loves Lightning so much is because she's by FAR the least annoying character in this game. Except maybe the black guy with the bird in his afro. I don't entirely hate him either. But there's a pink-haired jailbait girl with a squeaky voice and her name is literally Vanilla.

FUCK
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

I've only ever played about five minutes of KotOR 1 and everyone has always raved about them. Sort of want to play them now that I've just read the comics.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Pisscubes wrote:
riley-o wrote:I've only ever played about five minutes of KotOR 1 and everyone has always raved about them. Sort of want to play them now that I've just read the comics.
Both KOTOR games rule as far as I'm concerned. As much as I love Mass Effect, I don't think they ever lived up to KOTOR. KOTOR 2, as I was shown by this very board, has a few mods that fix it from the mess it was when it was released and it's awesome.

Also, Riley-- if you're in a Star Wars frame of mind now, the audio books are pretty awesome.
You recall what mods were used? I'm not planning on replaying it anytime soon, but if I get it up and running now, it's nice to have ready.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I'm like nine hours into FFXIII, guys. Help. HELP.

I'm really not sure what it is, but somehow the combat is weirdly addictive, despite the fact that it took like five hours to get at least a bit interesting. I keep thinking it really plays more like a mobile game, and I really don't know why that's working for me right now, but it is.

And while I'm completely overthinking this, the first and last JRPG I played in my life was Phantasy Star 2. I don't know why I never played any others because I did love PS2 a whole lot, but basically I've been away from the genre for 25 years, and it's kind of funny to see how much of its DNA is still the same.

Also, about six hours in I realized I'd actually have to read the Datalog to understand even a word of what everyone was saying.

I dunno, guys, everything everyone hates about this game is true, but I'm somehow addicted to it.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Pisscubes wrote:So the combat becomes interesting 5 hours in? Goddamit JRPGs, why you do shit like this?
Yeah, the reason people apparently call the game one long tutorial is that it keeps introducing new elements to the combat over hours and hours, and eventually you actually have enough options to make things interesting. And supposedly the last three chapters have open maps and actual sidequests and stuff. Like I said, I don't know why I'm putting up with this, but I've decided I want to get to the good part.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

yer lying..
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

FVBTVS wrote:yer lying..
The description of the combat in the Kotaku review is pretty accurate. You're basically managing, it doesn't feel like you're actually controlling the characters. I just find it enjoyable for some reason, and that guy didn't. I dunno, maybe it's because everything short of action combat at least in the way The Witcher 2 did it always feels like managing more than controlling to me anyway (this is why I hate the combat in TW1 and in the Dragon Age games), so I don't mind. In case you can't tell, I'm really just talking to myself here because I'm trying to figure out why I don't hate this game.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

yer lying to yerself..
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

bloodborne shmudborne
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Spent most of the weekend's game time setting up Unreal & Unreal Tournament, then setting up Unreal to play through Unreal Tournaments. Ah, yes, Epic. Before it became Cliffy B's jerk off platform.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Looking at some of these Just Cause 2 mods (including a FPS mode) just made me a little wet. I've always wanted to like the game but x,y, & z always pissed me off. I can now change x, y, & z.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Maybe I'll try those JC2 mods eventually, I actually bought that game along with all the FF stuff this weekend.

But I think I have about 30 more hours of Final Fantasy XIII to get through first.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote:Maybe I'll try those JC2 mods eventually, I actually bought that game along with all the FF stuff this weekend.
I just bought a bunch of Thief stuff with Just Cause 2. I'm not a stealth fan. I also bought Diakatana :shock: I had only ever played the demo for it, when it was first released. One of the worst FPS I've ever experienced. Fucking frogs and robot bugs, with limited saves. What's wrong with me? Stupid Steam.

Anyone use Game Boost from Razor. I did some benchmark test with Tomb Raider and Batman: AC, and it actually works quite well. Also, since using it Blood 2 works perfectly well with 1080p in full screen, which doesn't make one ounce of goddamn sense.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Pisscubes wrote:Played Left Behind, the Last of us DLC. I thought it was really good.
My brain malfunctioned and I thought you were talking about Left 4 Dead, and I was very confused.

I never finished the DLC. I don't know, playing as a kid never interests me, unless it's a girl with huge knockers like the president's daughter in Resident Evil 4. And even that wasn't assuming to me.

I take it getting Dark Souls 2 for the PC is stupid at this point because of that re-release that's happening in March, right? Eh, I'll wait to see if PC version isn't another retard.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Pisscubes wrote:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Ellie is gay
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Well, if anybody had any doubt left that they put Ellen Page in this game without her consent...

Honestly, that's a bit weird.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I think that reveal is completely unnecessary.

FPS camera in Just Cause 2 is garbage. Oh well. The other mods are cool and make it less annoying for sure.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Watching a ridiculously late 80's TV show called The Highwayman. Makes me want to give FC3 Blood Dragon another shot.