THE MATRIX IS TRUE!!

Music posts are a bannable offense.
chris narcosis
ultimate EVIL

THE MATRIX IS TRUE!!

Post by chris narcosis »

I bet xasthur fans like Ross have been all over this already

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... ogram.html

DRIVING through the countryside south of Hanover, it would be easy to miss the GEO600 experiment. From the outside, it doesn't look much: in the corner of a field stands an assortment of boxy temporary buildings, from which two long trenches emerge, at a right angle to each other, covered with corrugated iron. Underneath the metal sheets, however, lies a detector that stretches for 600 metres.

For the past seven years, this German set-up has been looking for gravitational waves - ripples in space-time thrown off by super-dense astronomical objects such as neutron stars and black holes. GEO600 has not detected any gravitational waves so far, but it might inadvertently have made the most important discovery in physics for half a century.

For many months, the GEO600 team-members had been scratching their heads over inexplicable noise that is plaguing their giant detector. Then, out of the blue, a researcher approached them with an explanation. In fact, he had even predicted the noise before he knew they were detecting it. According to Craig Hogan, a physicist at the Fermilab particle physics lab in Batavia, Illinois, GEO600 has stumbled upon the fundamental limit of space-time - the point where space-time stops behaving like the smooth continuum Einstein described and instead dissolves into "grains", just as a newspaper photograph dissolves into dots as you zoom in. "It looks like GEO600 is being buffeted by the microscopic quantum convulsions of space-time," says Hogan.

If this doesn't blow your socks off, then Hogan, who has just been appointed director of Fermilab's Center for Particle Astrophysics, has an even bigger shock in store: "If the GEO600 result is what I suspect it is, then we are all living in a giant cosmic hologram."

The idea that we live in a hologram probably sounds absurd, but it is a natural extension of our best understanding of black holes, and something with a pretty firm theoretical footing. It has also been surprisingly helpful for physicists wrestling with theories of how the universe works at its most fundamental level.

The holograms you find on credit cards and banknotes are etched on two-dimensional plastic films. When light bounces off them, it recreates the appearance of a 3D image. In the 1990s physicists Leonard Susskind and Nobel prizewinner Gerard 't Hooft suggested that the same principle might apply to the universe as a whole. Our everyday experience might itself be a holographic projection of physical processes that take place on a distant, 2D surface.

The "holographic principle" challenges our sensibilities. It seems hard to believe that you woke up, brushed your teeth and are reading this article because of something happening on the boundary of the universe. No one knows what it would mean for us if we really do live in a hologram, yet theorists have good reasons to believe that many aspects of the holographic principle are true.

Susskind and 't Hooft's remarkable idea was motivated by ground-breaking work on black holes by Jacob Bekenstein of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in Israel and Stephen Hawking at the University of Cambridge. In the mid-1970s, Hawking showed that black holes are in fact not entirely "black" but instead slowly emit radiation, which causes them to evaporate and eventually disappear. This poses a puzzle, because Hawking radiation does not convey any information about the interior of a black hole. When the black hole has gone, all the information about the star that collapsed to form the black hole has vanished, which contradicts the widely affirmed principle that information cannot be destroyed. This is known as the black hole information paradox.

Bekenstein's work provided an important clue in resolving the paradox. He discovered that a black hole's entropy - which is synonymous with its information content - is proportional to the surface area of its event horizon. This is the theoretical surface that cloaks the black hole and marks the point of no return for infalling matter or light. Theorists have since shown that microscopic quantum ripples at the event horizon can encode the information inside the black hole, so there is no mysterious information loss as the black hole evaporates.

Crucially, this provides a deep physical insight: the 3D information about a precursor star can be completely encoded in the 2D horizon of the subsequent black hole - not unlike the 3D image of an object being encoded in a 2D hologram. Susskind and 't Hooft extended the insight to the universe as a whole on the basis that the cosmos has a horizon too - the boundary from beyond which light has not had time to reach us in the 13.7-billion-year lifespan of the universe. What's more, work by several string theorists, most notably Juan Maldacena at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, has confirmed that the idea is on the right track. He showed that the physics inside a hypothetical universe with five dimensions and shaped like a Pringle is the same as the physics taking place on the four-dimensional boundary.
Big Blood Grenade
DO THE DEW!

Re: THE MATRIX IS TRUE!!

Post by Big Blood Grenade »

DUDE THERE'S A UNIVERSE INSIDE MY CREDIT CARD :what:
chris narcosis
ultimate EVIL

Post by chris narcosis »

Big Blood Grenade wrote:DUDE THERE'S A UNIVERSE INSIDE MY CREDIT CARD :what:

Universe of credit!!!!!! Buy me an Dr Doom figure please, like the one I had in the 80s.
Big Blood Grenade
DO THE DEW!

Post by Big Blood Grenade »

chris narcosis wrote:

Universe of credit!!!!!! Buy me an Dr Doom figure please, like the one I had in the 80s.
Come on dude, Kool Keith didn't even start doing the Dr. Doom thing until the 2000's. Wait . . .
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
DID YOU BUY THE FIGURE WITH YOUR 5TH DIMENSIONAL SPACE/TIME-CANCELLING CREDIT CARD FUTURE DOLLARSBUX?!? THERE'S A UNIVERSE FULL OF UNIVERSES INSIDE THE HOLOGRAM MAN WE ALL LIVE IN THEREOH FUCK I FEEL LIKE I'M INSIDE OF YOU INSIDE OF ME WHAT'S HAPPENING TO MY WORLD!?! UNGHHH
chris narcosis
ultimate EVIL

Post by chris narcosis »

Big Blood Grenade wrote:
chris narcosis wrote:

Come on dude, Kool Keith didn't even start doing the Dr. Doom thing until the 2000's. Wait . . .

I don`t see how KK has a part in this discussion we are having!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
zzzzzzzz
Unquestionable Presence

Post by zzzzzzzz »

SO there are bearded Spocks out there! I find this shit fascinating
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

whats mind blowing is that there is a chris narcosis who is a polite gentleman out there!
"FUCK YES MORE LAWS RIGHT NOW ALL THE TIME! LAW LAW LAW!" - Geeheeb
"OH I FORGOT, MORE JAILS TOO RIGHT NOW! FUCK YEAH JAIL JAIL JAIL!" - Geeheeb

"I don't recall quoting you as a shitbrain specifically... the shitbrain experience is not exactly the same for every shitbrain" -big rossman
chris narcosis
ultimate EVIL

Post by chris narcosis »

John Jr. wrote:whats mind blowing is that there is a chris narcosis who is a polite gentleman out there!

He`s dead now! Only evil Christopher remains.
Toxicarius
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by Toxicarius »

chris narcosis wrote:
John Jr. wrote:whats mind blowing is that there is a chris narcosis who is a polite gentleman out there!

He`s dead now! Only evil Christopher remains.
Image :theylive:
chris narcosis
ultimate EVIL

Post by chris narcosis »

But I`m not a gook!!!!!!
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.

Post by soiled depends »

By "gook", Chris really means to say "unspecified Asian", folks...
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

chris narcosis
ultimate EVIL

Post by chris narcosis »

soiled depends wrote:By "gook", Chris really means to say "unspecified Asian", folks...

I do apppologise for my lumping of every asian nation under one banner of `gook`. I really should be ashamed of myself.
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

That old Martin Sheen movie “The Believers” (circa 1987) is on TV and in the beginning the mom is electrocuted by a faulty coffee maker due to her feet being wet by spilled milk and her wearing a cross to complete the electrical
circuit. I’m not really paying attention as I’d seen this movie a million times on HBO when I was a kid. Five minute later a character in a book I’m reading intentionally electrocutes someone in a very similar way with a home made battery using a frog brain in a jar as a power source. ( published 1987 )
Ill body
/
Ill will
MPD
I hate your life.

Post by MPD »

THANKS JAMES.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »