Black holes might be intelligent

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Fields of Shit
Keep it thick...

Re: Black holes might be intelligent

Post by Fields of Shit »

I remember reading the Elegant Universe I think it was, the part where Greene references some example Hawking said about time travel and black holes----being stationed in craft in front of a black hole at the spot right before the event horizon......how the force of gravity would theoretically be so intense that one would be travelling at light speeds. One could then return to Earth in the distant future, as an exponential amount of time relative to the black hole would have occured. I cannot even fathom how that work or what that would look like.

I have no great understanding of theoretical physics but I do often wonder about this stuff.
Look at that lighthouse. That's the ultimate expression of phallocentric technocracy violating Mother Sky.
Agent : Orange
Luck of the Corpse

Post by Agent : Orange »

Space-time curvature around massive objects causes changes in the paths of light rays from distant objects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_lens

Also fucking amazing.
The number you have dialed is complex. Please rotate the phone by ninety degrees and try your call again.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

Fucking Neutron stars.
A neutron star is a type of remnant that can result from the gravitational collapse of a massive star during a Type II, Type Ib or Type Ic supernova event. Such stars are composed almost entirely of neutrons, which are subatomic particles without electrical charge and roughly the same mass as protons.
A neutron star is so dense that one teaspoon (5 milliliters) of its material would have a mass over 5.5×1012 kg, about 900 times the mass of the Great Pyramid of Giza.[7] The resulting force of gravity is so strong that if an object were to fall from a height of one meter it would only take one microsecond to hit the surface of the neutron star, and would do so at around 2000 kilometers per second, or 7.2 million kilometers per hour.[8]
big ass picture
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Fucking star quakes
A starquake is an astrophysical phenomenon that occurs when the crust of a neutron star undergoes a sudden adjustment, analogous to an earthquake on Earth. This happens regularly as the neutron star spins down. The original shape of the star is a very flat ellipsoid due to centrifugal forces. As the rotational speed decreases, the shape approaches a sphere. Since the crust is very stiff, this happens intermittently like an earthquake. The rotational speed of the star is measured with very high accuracy, so the star shape, size of quake, and stiffness of the crust is accurately measurable.
The largest recorded event that some suggest was caused by a starquake occurred on the ultracompact stellar corpse (magnetar) SGR 1806-20. It released gamma rays equivalent to 1036 kW in intensity. This starquake occurred 50,000 light years away; if it occurred within ten light years of Earth, it would have caused a mass extinction.
Geckleberry Finn
Kill Trend Suicide

Post by Geckleberry Finn »

The universe is actually a blackhole
http://www.fqxi.org/community/articles/display/134
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Geckleberry Finn wrote:The universe is actually a blackhole
http://www.fqxi.org/community/articles/display/134
I think he's suggesting the universe might be IN a blackhole. I like neutrino condensate idea.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Word around the internet pseudo-intellectual cosmos enthusiast campfire is that Betelgeuse is about to go supernova. Like within the next few months. It's one of the brightest stars in our night sky, part of the Orion constellation. The supernova would be about as bright as a full moon for 6 weeks straight, possibly brighter. It's over 500 light years away so it won't do much except inspire awe and maybe cause a few frenzied religious suicides.

It might be completely exaggerated and untrue but I hope beyond hope it happens. Something this huge isn't even a once in a lifetime thing. The last visible supernova happened in the 9th century. I'd probably sit in a lawn chair on the front lawn for a month and a half just watching it with the fevered eyes of a madman.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Me during supernova;
Dr.Fondles wrote:Image
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

IF this happens, not to put too fine a point on it, it will almost undoubtedly be among the most dramatic astronomical events ever observed by human eyes. A type II supernova can briefly outshine an entire galaxy ... and this one will be only a little over five hundred LY away. The supernova that created the Crab Nebula, SN 1054, was bright enough to see in daylight for 23 days, and remained visible for 653 days ... and it was 6,300 LY away. Betelgeuse is almost 12 times closer, and can be expected to appear around 140 times brighter by virtue of that alone. And as noted at the beginning of this post, Betelgeuse is the ninth largest star known to exist in the universe.
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

:mastoman:
jakebonz@work
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jakebonz@work »

Friendly Goatus wrote:Word around the internet pseudo-intellectual cosmos enthusiast campfire is that Betelgeuse is about to go supernova. Like within the next few months. It's one of the brightest stars in our night sky, part of the Orion constellation. The supernova would be about as bright as a full moon for 6 weeks straight, possibly brighter. It's over 500 light years away so it won't do much except inspire awe and maybe cause a few frenzied religious suicides.

It might be completely exaggerated and untrue but I hope beyond hope it happens. Something this huge isn't even a once in a lifetime thing. The last visible supernova happened in the 9th century. I'd probably sit in a lawn chair on the front lawn for a month and a half just watching it with the fevered eyes of a madman.
Season 2 of The Universe explored this a bit. Are you saying that in our perception of time that the star hasn't exploded yet or are you saying that it already did 499.6 years ago and we just haven't seen the light from it yet?
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Yeah, it would have gone supernova 500 or so years ago if we were to see it today. I read that astronomers were seeing some odd fluctuations on the surface of Betelgeuse, more so than usual, and that's what's making them think that a supernova is about to be seen.
jakebonz@work
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jakebonz@work »

Damn, that will be neat if that happens.

Orion's gonna need a new shoulder, though...
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

That will be rad as fuck if it happens.
fvkk
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.

Post by soiled depends »

Hmmm! Discovery is showin' a Steven Hawkin' thing tonight....all about them freaky alienz n' shit....will view! :)
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

thread is ace.

i saw a speck of light that was the international space station docked with the shuttle atlantis the other week as it passed over the sky to disappear below the horizon. we're so primitive :tdown:
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

I was reading about the american colonies the other day and realized something. The colonization of space is going to fucking SUCK. It's going to be private industry that succeeds in taking this step, not any world government. Without any real governmental foresight (how the fuck can you enforce earthly laws in space?) these colonies have a huge chance of becoming oppressive and dehumanizing. Corporate slave farms dotting the landscapes of moons, planets and asteroids. God dammit.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Speaking of, SpaceX is launching a rocket tomorrow.

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/sp ... 00603.html
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

I guess Jupiter got hit by an asteroid or a comet earlier.
http://astro.christone.net/jupiter/jupiterimpact.wmv
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badas ... er-impact/

Looks small but the flash is over 2000 km across. It's no shoemaker-levy but still pretty impressive.
jakebonz@work
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jakebonz@work »

Idget Child
Big McLargeHuge

Post by Idget Child »

Rather than create a new thread, I figured that this would be the appropriate thread to mention a game I found online. You're given two titles for plausible physics research papers, one which is an existing article on arxiv, and the other being a randomly generated article title with a program called snarxiv. First time around, I got 12 out of my first 15, then it all went downhill from there.

http://snarxiv.org/vs-arxiv/
Chad wrote:Idget child might be the worst poster here though...
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

jakebonz@work wrote:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Just finished the book :brokenheart:

Are the other Odysseys worth reading?
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
jakebonz@work
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jakebonz@work »

Iduno...I just watched the movie for the first time ever not too long ago.

I just thought:

Strange happenings on Jupiter = Aliens launching a black monolith at us
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

jakebonz@work wrote:
Strange happenings on Jupiter = Aliens launching a black monolith at us
Pretty much.
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

Nice racist thread you have going here, Grand Dragon Goatus:

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?secti ... id=7475737
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot