NYC 9/11 memorial needs $60 million/year

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Natas
Never, ever change, like those shitty bands!

Post by Natas »

Security for site boosts maintenance cost critics say is unsustainable
5:59 AM, Sep 10, 2012

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/view ... ext%7C%7Cs

NEW YORK — With its huge reflecting pools, ringed by waterfalls and skyscrapers, and a cavernous underground museum still under construction, the National Sept. 11 Memorial and Museum at the World Trade Center is an awesome spectacle that moved and inspired some 4.5 million visitors in its first year.

But all that eye-welling magnificence comes with a jaw-dropping price tag. The foundation that runs the memorial estimates that once the roughly $700 million project is complete, the memorial and museum will together cost $60 million a year to operate.

The anticipated cost has bothered some critics and raised concerns even among the memorial’s allies that the budget may be unsustainable without a hefty government subsidy.

By comparison, the National Park Service budgeted $8.4 million this year to operate and maintain Gettysburg National Military Park and $3.6 million for the monument that includes the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor. Running Arlington National Cemetery, which has more than 14,000 graves and receives 4 million visitors a year, costs $45 million annually.

Officials at the 9/11 memorial say they face unique challenges that make comparisons to other national memorials difficult.

The foundation plans to spend at least a fifth of its operating budget, or around $12 million per year, on private security because of terrorism fears. Visitors to the memorial plaza pass through airport-like security, and armed guards patrol the grounds.

“The fact of the matter is that this was a place that was attacked twice,” said Joseph Daniels, the foundation’s president and chief executive.

Just operating the two massive fountains that mark the spots where the twin towers once stood will cost $4.5 million to $5 million annually, said the foundation’s spokesman, Michael Frazier.

Foundation officials didn’t respond to requests for information about other costs at the site, including the anticipated expense of running the museum, which is still unfinished and might not be soon.

(Page 2 of 2)

The museum was supposed to open this month, but construction all but ceased a year ago because of a funding squabble between the foundation and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the land the memorial sits on.

Daniels said it would take at least a year for the museum to open once construction resumes.

The failure to open the museum on time has thrown off the foundation’s financial planning. Officials had expected to use the museum, being built mostly with money from various government agencies, plus private donations, as its main source of revenue.

While visitors will be allowed into the aboveground portions of the memorial for free, the foundation plans to charge people to descend into the museum’s exhibition space, where they will see portraits of the nearly 3,000 victims, hear oral histories of the tragedy, and view artifacts such as the staircase World Trade Center workers used to flee on 9/11.

The admission price hasn’t been set. Foundation officials say they may also charge a “suggested donation” where visitors would be allowed to enter for free but would be strongly encouraged to pay a yet-undecided amount. But if the museum gets the 2 million visitors a year the foundation expects, a $12 fee, like the one charged at the memorial to the victims of the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing, would cover 40 percent of the operating costs. More money will be generated through fundraising and the sale of memorabilia.

In addition, the foundation and several elected officials have proposed that the American public pick up one-third of the operating costs.

A look at the status of the trade center’s major components, according to its developers:
• Most of the 8-acre memorial quadrangle at the World Trade Center opened last year on the 10th anniversary of the attacks. Since then, some 4.5 million people have visited the memorial, with its twin reflecting pools where the towers stood. But a museum being built in a cavern beneath the plaza is still incomplete.
• One World Trade Center, formerly known as the Freedom Tower, will open in 2014 on the northwest corner of the trade center site with 3 million square feet of office space.
• The first office building to open in October 2013 will be the 72-story 4 World Trade Center at the southeast corner of the site.
• Just north of 4 World Trade Center is 3 World Trade Center, which is now an eight-story stub but will reach 80 stories and 1,150 feet when it’s complete.
• At the site’s northeast corner, 2 World Trade Center is up only to street level. The building is planned as an 88-story skyscraper but will not be built until the commercial real-estate market picks up enough to fill it.
• The new transportation hub at the trade center will connect 13 subway lines and PATH trains to New Jersey when it opens in 2015.
• An underground vehicle security center and bus parking facility just south of the main trade center site will open in 2013.
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Re: NYC 9/11 memorial needs $60 million/year

Post by Zerohero »

Pisscubes wrote:Holy fuck, how many no-show jobs and fat, unneeded union contracts do you think go with that $60 million price tag?

fuckit, I say they just fill that thing in with some dirt and call it a day
rileyo wrote:i like that she's wearing high heels &stockings to get fucked by dead pigs,that's some real forward thinking metal right there
LordDarksoul wrote:Thanks for the concern, Fucktractor.
BUNGVOX wrote:i don't want metallica to shit their pants. i want metallica to shit MY pants.
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Post by Zerohero »

reflecting pools... what bullshit. you can just stare into some asphalt on a rainy day, it the same bullshit and doesn't cost $700 million
rileyo wrote:i like that she's wearing high heels &stockings to get fucked by dead pigs,that's some real forward thinking metal right there
BUNGVOX wrote:i don't want metallica to shit their pants. i want metallica to shit MY pants.
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.

Post by soiled depends »

whatever the outcome, I just wish for more death...
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

Natas
Never, ever change, like those shitty bands!

Post by Natas »

So I shouldn't post the paypal information for the foundation where I just sent my contribution?
\m/Johnny\m/
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by \m/Johnny\m/ »

I'd rather contribute to CDNPal... at least I might get some laffs out of it.
elephants gerald wrote:
- GLENN DANZIG "literally a rotating cast of gigantic wigged infants," claims former tour manager
Wormholegenerator
The 7000 Club

Post by Wormholegenerator »

and a cheesecake factory dinner
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Post by hipster holocaust »

Pisscubes wrote:Holy fuck, how many no-show jobs and fat, unneeded union contracts do you think go with that $60 million price tag?
Not a :wank: big enough.

Also Poughkeepsie Journal :lol:
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
altars of radness
Olde Timer

Post by altars of radness »

This is the first time I've seen a picture of one of the fountains. It looks like a giant mass grave. :tup:
Erik13 wrote:Does anyone have pics of Ron shirtless?
http://teenagedesires.bandcamp.com
http://mockduck.bandcamp.com
ThePhillyExperiment
ultimate EVIL

Post by ThePhillyExperiment »

"Just operating the two massive fountains that mark the spots where the twin towers once stood will cost $4.5 million to $5 million annually"
My favorite part.

Compare to
$3.6 million for the monument that includes the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor
Which has rotating boats every 15 minutes on salt water.
Visitors to the memorial plaza pass through airport-like security, and armed guards patrol the grounds.
Holee shitbahls, even DC doesn't have it this bad.
brobot wrote: "Some guy asked me if I was a robot...like a Relapse robot? I have no idea what he was talking about."
GLEN BENTON wrote: ONLY THING IS I LOOK AT THE GIRLS AT THE MOVIES, AND THERE BETWEEN 10 AND 14!
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Post by hipster holocaust »

Keep in mind the city is flat fucking broke since it offers insane tax cuts to virtually every overly successful business in its zip code. Excellent job guys :tup:

If NYC's economy tanks the terrorists have won. Welp,
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Post by Zerohero »

hipster holocaust wrote: Also Poughkeepsie Journal :lol:
Poughkeepsie's serious about rock and roll. :invcross:
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

Holocaust museum in D.C. costs about $90 mil/year. Ratio seems kind of off to me...
No Cunting Elves
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Jesus, just exactly how much Zyklon B are they going through at that museum
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

hahahah is that number from stormfront or something

that is incredible
Chevalier Mal Fet
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Chevalier Mal Fet »

These budget numbers are pretty big to you non-Zogs I know, but they are pretty much in line with most other national memorials/park projects of this size and scope would probably cost in the middle of a major metropolitan area (i.e. where they are not often located) - the type of places which it should be pointed out, attract tons of generous donations and create a ton of business activity/economic activity for the areas they are located.

Tourists come and spend money there or at local businesses, huge donations pour in, the federal government chips in, all that money pays for jobs in the community and tax revenue for the state/city governments. So it's not like the money just vanishes into thin air.
Dudes - check out my record: https://linktr.ee/illuminihilation
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.

Post by soiled depends »

I think it's great that these "reasonable budget numbers" can't pay for a few breathing apparatuses for first responders dying of respirartory diseases.

Great stuff...
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

:lol:
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

i like that they're worried about acts of terrorism on the fucking hole in the ground
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

copstache wrote:i like that they're worried about acts of terrorism on the fucking hole in the ground
The Terrorists have hit the fountains !! Our worst fears realized
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

that shit would be cool as fuck though, if al-queda came and suds'd the memorial fountains and dropped a banner or some shit

allahu akbar duuuudez
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

for real though, even without security that'd have to be one of the safest places to live ever. how are you going to terrorize a populace if you attack the exact place people expect you to?
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

unless...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

F. Murray Sandyclam wrote:1 WTC will be partly residential, right? Imagine what the fucking security will be like at place. You won't be able to order a pizza... :(
I love what a one track mind you have sometimes :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Increased attacks of terror. Hmmm. How will this effect pizza..."
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

and as we all know by now NEW YORK HAS THE BEST PIZZA EVERYTHING EVER MADE IN THE WORLD